Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:39:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Hull City  (Read 51116 times)

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Hull City
« Reply #420 on July 22, 2020, 10:41:22 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #421 on July 22, 2020, 10:47:49 pm by Campsall rover »
It sounds like the snake is not going to walk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08lkdwl
He won’t. Will wait until he is pushed and then pick up compensation agreed in his contract i suspect.
How long was his contract for, anyone know?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #422 on July 22, 2020, 10:50:58 pm by DonnyOsmond »
That interviewers a bit brutal. I almost feel sorry for Grant. He went from fans liking him here and celebrating his team to a year later being despised by fans and thinking he'd built a shit team.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #423 on July 22, 2020, 11:14:01 pm by PDX_Rover »
I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He knew what he was going into and went anyway. Idiotic.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #424 on July 22, 2020, 11:27:18 pm by mushRTID »
I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He knew what he was going into and went anyway. Idiotic.

Absolutely this.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #425 on July 22, 2020, 11:31:59 pm by MachoMadness »
Jesus. He really has no idea what to do, does he? Can only imagine what that reporter thinks getting the exact same answers week in week out. Reminds me of Dickov's "I expect a reaction" patter.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #426 on July 22, 2020, 11:39:35 pm by Prez »
Dear me. Talk about full of cliches.

My favourate one was where he said tomorrow is when the hard work starts.

So you been working hard then Grant up to now? Perhaps thats why you gone down im thinking.

He also said there have been bigger clubs gone down to league 1 than Hull. Thats gonna go down a treat with your own fans.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:49:12 pm by Prez »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #427 on July 23, 2020, 01:17:22 am by RoversAlias »
David Burns has taken him to the cleaners there. He has no answers for him.

He can't answer simple questions, he can't front up to the utter catastrophe he's overseen this last 6 months. He acts like being told simply that it isn't good enough is some personal vendetta.

I'd feel sorry for him if he hadn't brought all this on himself with his own hypocrisy and arrogance. He thought he could somehow make something of the shambles Hull City AFC has become, and not only has it been proven that he couldn't, but he's overseen a complete disaster beyond the depths even that mess of a club looked capable of.

He gets all he deserves.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #428 on July 23, 2020, 06:15:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think he knew the risks before he took on the job.

Back then when he was approached by Hull, I thought they were looking for a 'fall guy'. Someone who's thick skinned that could take all the flack when the proverbial hit the fan. It was inevitable they were going to lose Bowen and Grosicky, and with other 'baggage' surrounding the club, the drop was likely.

Who would be daft enough to take on that challenge with a small sporting chance of survival? Perhaps a good salary and an appeal to an ego would be enough??

He fell for it however, he wasn't that far from pulling it off.

Now we don't know if part of the deal was getting the chance to manage Hull in League One. If it is, and he's on the same salary, then he might think he has a chance to restore some pride and be well rewarded for it!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #429 on July 23, 2020, 07:58:10 am by Filo »
That interviewers a bit brutal. I almost feel sorry for Grant. He went from fans liking him here and celebrating his team to a year later being despised by fans and thinking he'd built a shit team.

Can’t feel sorry for a man that didn’t give a f**k how he left us and the threadbare squad he’d left us with. He’s a Kitson simple as that!

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #430 on July 23, 2020, 08:08:24 am by Pancho Regan »
It is a quite incredible downward spiral since January.

On Jan 4th Hull were 9th, two points outside the play-off places and 16 points above the drop zone, with 39 points from 26 games.

Of the 60 points available since then, they managed a meagre 6 points.

That is some capitulation.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #431 on July 23, 2020, 08:25:51 am by Filo »

On Jan 4th Hull were 9th, two points outside the play-off places and 16 points above the drop zone, with 39 points from 26 games.

I have n’t checked but that is probably worse than our capitulation under Ferguson

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #432 on July 23, 2020, 09:01:24 am by eastender »

I have n’t checked but that is probably worse than our capitulation under Ferguson

Ferguson got 12pts out of 63 available from our last 21 games in 15/16 season.

We were 11th on the 4th of Jan , 6pts off the play off's.

We finished 21st .
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:22:29 am by eastender »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #433 on July 23, 2020, 09:11:06 am by NickDRFC »

We finished 21st , only avoiding relegation on goal difference over Blackpool.

Eh? We were relegated!

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #434 on July 23, 2020, 09:21:42 am by eastender »
 :blush:

We finished 21st , only avoiding relegation on goal difference over Blackpool.

Eh? We were relegated!

Oops yes, i was forgetting that 4 went down.  :blush: amended
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:22:56 am by eastender »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #435 on July 23, 2020, 09:24:19 am by Chris Black come back »
Absolutely shocking run of form. We deserved to finish bottom.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #436 on July 23, 2020, 12:09:16 pm by MachoMadness »
I hunted out the full press conference, no one is quite as brutal as Burnsy but the whole thing is worth a listen. Started about 21 minutes in here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jzpb2

Listen to the reaction of the hosts afterwards as well. People who are paid to talk for a living, and they're actually lost for words. My favourite line is that "bigger clubs than Hull have ended up in League One". Imagine being a Hull fan and hearing that? After you've just been humiliated by relegation?

It's clear that McCann is alright when things are going for him. When it goes against him though, he doesn't have a clue. I loved watching us play under him but he comes across as incompetent and unlikable here. And more than a little deluded.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #437 on July 23, 2020, 01:25:08 pm by Metalmicky »
I hunted out the full press conference, no one is quite as brutal as Burnsy but the whole thing is worth a listen. Started about 21 minutes in here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08jzpb2

Listen to the reaction of the hosts afterwards as well. People who are paid to talk for a living, and they're actually lost for words. My favourite line is that "bigger clubs than Hull have ended up in League One". Imagine being a Hull fan and hearing that? After you've just been humiliated by relegation?

It's clear that McCann is alright when things are going for him. When it goes against him though, he doesn't have a clue. I loved watching us play under him but he comes across as incompetent and unlikable here. And more than a little deluded.

Trouble is that if he remains we will be up against him next year....... which will probably be when things bite us in the bum...

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #438 on July 23, 2020, 01:28:07 pm by roversdude »
I guess that’s ruled out Sadlier going there

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #439 on July 23, 2020, 03:09:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Absolutely shocking run of form. We deserved to finish bottom.

we deserved to finish bottom of the entire chuffing world.

That match against Shrewsbury must be THE most gutless, witless performance I have ever seen from a Rovers team. Shrewsbury were f**king dire and they won without breaking sweat, because our lot were going through the motions without a single mester in the side to demand they dig deep and find some self-respect. Williams having a free header 3 yards out and using his nose to hit the ball into the ground and over the bar was just the shitest icing on the shitest cake in existence.

Have a look. Sometimes the memory plays tricks and things that happened in the past weren't actually as good or bad as you recall. Not this one...

https://youtu.be/M0YYsTjm1IY?t=104

But we still weren't as bad as McCann's Hull in 2020...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #440 on July 23, 2020, 03:17:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

100%. I was thinking that in late winter 2019. We were distinctly average for the second half of the season and McCann's time with us needs to be looked at in that light. He had an excellent 4.5 months, then a very, very ordinary 4.5 months in which he made some very poor team and tactical selections. He survived that because he had an excellent squad.

First 26 matches of 18/19, we picked up 45 points which is about 5th place form. from New year onwards, we picked up 28 points from 20 games which is about 9th place form. In the last 15 games, we picked up 20 points, which is barely top half form.

And it LOOKED like a team that had run out of ideas. That's why the play-off 2nd leg was such a great performance, because we'd seen nowt like that for half a season by that time.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #441 on July 23, 2020, 03:33:33 pm by roversdude »
I have a real dislike for Hull as a team, GM resided over one of my best ever nights as a Rovers fan away at Charlton and then totally dismantled everything - looking back even in the second leg it was the players rather than the management that got us so close.
Reap what you sow

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #442 on July 23, 2020, 03:44:37 pm by IDM »

Sads could go to QPR when they inevitably sell Eze this close season, and put in a good word to get Dieng back.!

Unlikely I guess..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #443 on July 23, 2020, 03:53:46 pm by drfchound »

He was never going to Hull

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #444 on July 23, 2020, 03:59:33 pm by PDX_Rover »
Rotherham for Sads I would imagine.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #445 on July 23, 2020, 05:33:18 pm by scawsby steve »

100%. I was thinking that in late winter 2019. We were distinctly average for the second half of the season and McCann's time with us needs to be looked at in that light. He had an excellent 4.5 months, then a very, very ordinary 4.5 months in which he made some very poor team and tactical selections. He survived that because he had an excellent squad.

First 26 matches of 18/19, we picked up 45 points which is about 5th place form. from New year onwards, we picked up 28 points from 20 games which is about 9th place form. In the last 15 games, we picked up 20 points, which is barely top half form.

And it LOOKED like a team that had run out of ideas. That's why the play-off 2nd leg was such a great performance, because we'd seen nowt like that for half a season by that time.

Totally agree with all of that. I had the misfortune to travel down to Luton to witness one of the worse sh*tshows I've ever seen from any Rovers team. I'd already witnessed something similar in the first half of the season down at Charlton.

The one highlight for me, up to the play-offs, was the performance at Oakwell. Again, that was in the first half of the season when, apart from Charlton, we were generally better.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #446 on July 23, 2020, 05:39:14 pm by NewDonny »

Why would you imagine that?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #447 on July 23, 2020, 06:14:31 pm by NickDRFC »

Local club so a convenient move, they’ll have seen him play several times this season and he’s unlikely to get anything above a lower-end Championship club. Not saying he’s going there but it’s a pretty reasonable suggestion.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #448 on July 23, 2020, 08:11:17 pm by NewDonny »

Local club so a convenient move, they’ll have seen him play several times this season and he’s unlikely to get anything above a lower-end Championship club. Not saying he’s going there but it’s a pretty reasonable suggestion.

OK I take your point, but he lives in Cambridge though so not sure Rotherham is all that local for him but why is it unlikely he will get anything above lower end Championship?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:14:16 pm by NewDonny »

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #449 on July 23, 2020, 10:23:10 pm by Donnybob »
Now the dust has settled and everyone's had their chance to remind Terry that karma is a bitch, perhaps it's time to welcome Hull City and it's fans. We shared a great rivalry when we returned to the league. Yes they are a basket case, but they are once again restored to being our rivals. A decent local derby.

As for their hapless manager, perhaps it's time to let it go. We initially thought he had the potential to be a good manager for us but perhaps we were being over-generous.

We backed him and put our faith in him though time has since proved him to be no Brian Clough nor a diplomat and maybe with hindsight we ducked a bullet.

Time to let it rest now. Focus on our own team. It's going to be a tricky season for everyone next year. We should be grateful he isn't in charge of us. He probably did us a favour by leaving in hindsight.

Talk of him rebuilding the squad here ended in tatters. He's no experience of doing that. Which is why he remains a huge risk to Hull.

But let's give him praise for creating an opportunity for us to renew an old rivalry.

Welcome back Hull City.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012