Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:51:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 377236 times)

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1860 on March 13, 2019, 07:51:36 pm by The Red Baron »
The amended No Deal motion carried by 43 votes.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1861 on March 13, 2019, 07:56:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Are you two Russian bots?

No. Just normal voters who would like to see the traitors in parliament carry out the will of the people rather than fulfil their own agenda.

How do we know the will of the people hasn't changed in two years? MPs changed their minds in the space of a few weeks, so who says that 4% lead hasn't changed in over 2 years? And before you say do we keep just having vote after vote, Theresa has had vote after vote and it'll break the impasse. There is a majority against No Deal and we will see it tonight. No sensible person wants us to actually leave with no deal, they just want it on the table as a bargaining chip.

It interesting that on this forum which most of it's members are based in a very pro Brexit area are mainly remainers, however most of my mates in London which was a remain area are the polar opposite and are very much staunch Brexit.
What this situation clearly shows is that many MPs are totally out of touch with their constituents and come the day of the next election supporters of all parties/Brexit or remain opinion should remember if their MP acted in their interests.

There's a correlation between intelligence and whether you voted Brexit. People on here who can string two sentences together more than likely voted/want to remain. The people that can't spell their own name and aren't on here more than likely voted to leave. The education in our area had clearly let us down over the years.

Are you one of these people that thinks people who went to university should get two votes because you're better than the rest of us?

I never went to uni babe x

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1862 on March 13, 2019, 08:02:42 pm by DonnyOsmond »
He's basically saying poorer working class people have less intelligence than more affluent middle class people.
The irony is that on another thread, he would argue against this.

Typical remoaner, twisting the facts to suit their weak and failing viewpoints.

Are you suggesting I'm middle class?  :lol:

I'm from New Rosso and as pretty working class as they come.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1863 on March 13, 2019, 08:06:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Why has Corbyn now switched back to wanting his Brexit, a GE and an extention to Article 50? What happened to Labour pushing for a second referendum?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:08:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1864 on March 13, 2019, 08:07:17 pm by The Red Baron »
Vote on requesting an extension tomorrow. The Brexiteers should be praying that the EU only offers a very short one - to 22nd May and no further.

If not, we might never leave. Welcome to the Hotel California!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1865 on March 13, 2019, 08:09:45 pm by Filo »
It’s obvious May is  looking to try a third vote on her deal

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1866 on March 13, 2019, 08:11:19 pm by The Red Baron »
Why has Corbyn now switched back to wanting his Brexit and an extention to Article 50? What happened to Labour pushing for a second referendum?

Corbyn wants to avoid a Second Referendum at all costs. He wants a General Election and if he wins he wants to go to the EU with his Brexit-in-name-only.

To be honest, I don't think there's very much enthusiasm on either side of Parliament for a Second Referendum. Those who favour it tend to be very vocal about it, but they are not large in terms of numbers.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1867 on March 13, 2019, 08:12:36 pm by The Red Baron »
It’s obvious May is  looking to try a third vote on her deal

Quite correct, and if she gets it, the Brexiteers should hold their noses and vote for it.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1868 on March 13, 2019, 08:45:47 pm by The Red Baron »
Looks like there WILL be another vote on May's Deal next week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Peston/status/1105928876436480002?p=v

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1869 on March 13, 2019, 08:48:15 pm by Filo »

It’s just ridiculous, how many votes is it going to take?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1870 on March 13, 2019, 08:53:21 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It only needs one. She is doing what Corbyn said, running down the clock and hoping for the best. Ironically her deal is probably the best for pro Brexit members of her party.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1871 on March 13, 2019, 08:59:28 pm by Copps is Magic »
May has lost the trust of parliament, she has lost the control of her cabinet, and she's lost her voice.

This 3rd vote is her last stand, if it fails she'll walk because you can see physically and politically she has no energy to renegotiate a new deal. I didn't think it would ever happen voluntarily but I think she'll resign.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1872 on March 13, 2019, 09:03:22 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Tory MP and ERG deputy chairman Steve Baker calls on the government to go back to Brussels and tell the EU that no matter how many times the meaningful vote is had, Theresa May's deal "will not pass".

"When meaningful vote three comes back I will see to it that we will keep voting it down," he adds, noting that the ERG will not support the "rotten" deal, no matter how many times it is brought back.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1873 on March 13, 2019, 09:04:32 pm by wilts rover »
Why has Corbyn now switched back to wanting his Brexit, a GE and an extention to Article 50? What happened to Labour pushing for a second referendum?

I encourage you to listen to the BBC Bexitcast from last night. Starmer was on it and explained this. They decided (as a group, not just Corbyn) to concentrate on defeating the gov, ruling out no deal, & getting the extension this week.

A ref ammendment may have affected the way some Lab MP's voted on these (this my interpretation of Starmer).

Seeing as how the PM's authority has gone & the Tory party is tearing itself apart - backbenchers calling for Gov Ministers to be sacked - a good call I would reckon.

Thornbury on Radio 5 today said they expect it go down next week - but after tonights events that may change!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1874 on March 13, 2019, 09:06:55 pm by Filo »
They’ve finally gone mad in the HoC, the Government votes against it’s own motion, Labour votes for it, a Tory whip imposing a three line whip, votes against it and keeps his job

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1875 on March 13, 2019, 09:12:31 pm by Copps is Magic »
May has lost the trust of parliament, she has lost the control of her cabinet, and she's lost her voice.

This 3rd vote is her last stand, if it fails she'll walk because you can see physically and politically she has no energy to renegotiate a new deal. I didn't think it would ever happen voluntarily but I think she'll resign.

And of course I've just heard some analyst on the radio make the valid point that even in the unlikely event her deal passes, she would also resign.

So she's gone very soon.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1876 on March 13, 2019, 09:12:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Remember that in future.

This Govt has just whipped it's party to vote for an approach which it's own analysis says would knock 9% of the GDP of Yorkshire and the Humber.

Utter batshit.

Fortunately, there's still a good few Tories who aren't away with the fairies, and ignored them. Including 4 ministers.

But that in itself shows that the Govt has lost control. This simply does not happen. Ever.

THE most dysfunctional Govt we've ever had. Anyone remember Strong and Stable?

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1877 on March 13, 2019, 09:21:08 pm by Copps is Magic »
Its a staggering contradiction that the brexiteers who want to take back greater parliamentary control from the EU are the same people who have such a dim view of parliamentary procedure and democracy in this country!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1878 on March 13, 2019, 09:22:46 pm by DonnyOsmond »
They've even planned in a MV4. :lol:

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1880 on March 13, 2019, 10:21:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It’s just ridiculous, how many votes is it going to take?

What was it somebody was saying about keeping voting until they get the result they want?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1881 on March 13, 2019, 11:24:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
She's a stubborn old so-and-so isn't she? She's going to use the line to the hard-Brexiters that today's vote means it's her deal or No Brexit. Which is wrong, of course, but that what she's going to try.

But she's also divorced from reality if she thinks the DUP are going to vote for a deal that puts NI in a different constitutional position to GB.

Mind, she DID take on a NI Secretary who didn't seem to have heard about the sectarian frictions in NI, so maybe the PM herself doesn't understand how deep those feelings go.

Plus, I suspect there'll be a good few ERG members who will be rubbing their hands at the thought of having Brexit snatched out of their hands. It is ideal for their real agenda, of taking control of the Tory party. Those in on that project are not going to cave in because the moderate wing of the party has worked to take away Hard Brexit. It is precisely what they WANT to happen.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1882 on March 14, 2019, 01:29:17 am by albie »
Struggling to understand the logic of the Maypole now.

The EU will only agree an extension for a valid reason.

Here is Tusk explaining:
"The EU27 will expect a credible justification for a possible extension and its duration.
The smooth functioning of the EU institutions will need to be ensured".

All 27 have to agree to extend.

No proper reason is given by the UK, as no change is proposed.

Problem no 2.
May cannot bring back the May deal unaltered without breaching the rules.
The Speaker should rule her out of order.

Even if there was an extension up to the EU elections, there is no time to set up Ref2 or a GE, and pass legislation to enable the process to progress.

She has run out of road......and so has the UK parliamentary system!

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #1883 on March 14, 2019, 07:29:07 am by Boomstick »
To take no deal off the table (although we could still leave without a deal) is one of the most shameful and idiotic moments in our countries history. Its madness, the EU (spit) must be pissing themselves at the moment.
Remainers, just take a few minutes to think about it before jumping down my throat.

The next couple of weeks are vitaly important.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1884 on March 14, 2019, 07:33:37 am by Donnywolf »
"Take back control"

"Take back control"

"Take back control"

Strong and stable Government x 1000 (repeat ad infinitum - oops did not work)

We must deliver on the Will of the British people (800 times + JUST in Parliament)

We will be leaving on March 29th 2019 (probably said as many times as the one above)

People are just saying to me on the Doorstep "just get on wiith it"

My Deal delivers on the Will of the British people

My Deal is the ONLY way to ensure No Deal is taken off the table

I will go to the EU and get more changes made to the Backstop

I am back from Brussels with IMPROVED legally binding changes to the Backstop

Repeat them all again and again (and you have) and you will lose your Voice

Never mind we will try my Deal again (till we get enough people voting for what they deplore in order to avoid what they deplore even more) . They were queuing up to say as much last night .

What a state to be in

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1885 on March 14, 2019, 07:37:05 am by Donnywolf »
To take no deal off the table (although we could still leave without a deal) is one of the most shameful and idiotic moments in our countries history. Its madness, the EU (spit) must be pissing themselves at the moment.
Remainers, just take a few minutes to think about it before jumping down my throat.

The last years from 1976 were vitally importantl but the Tory Party MPs would not leave alone the Will of the British people (then 66 34 Remain)

However the time from when Cameron caved in till the minute you and I went into the Ballot Booth was arguably more vitally important - and was wasted in a series of lies damn lies and statistics (on both sides)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1886 on March 14, 2019, 08:23:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »

It's entirely sensible. For the following three reasons.

1) No Deal was NEVER a remotely credible position to threaten the EU with. Saying "Give us what we want or we'll shoot off our own kneecaps and you'll get splattered with bits of blood and bone" is not a serious negotiating position. It's petulant immaturity. No Govt is ever going to voluntarily choose to do something that would cost their country £1trn over the next decade. Anyone saying this is a credible negotiating stance is either an idiot, or taking you for an idiot.

2) The EU is NOT going to back down on the backstop in any case, and they are 100% correct not to do so. For all the reasons that have been set out here before. So even if the No Deal threat WAS credible, the damage that would do to the EU is less than the damage that would happen due to them backing down on the backstop.

3) The REAL danger was that we would f**k up and stumble into No Deal, which would be the biggest Govt failure since 1914. Yesterday ensured that won't happen.

3)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:18:04 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1887 on March 14, 2019, 08:41:26 am by Axholme Lion »
He's basically saying poorer working class people have less intelligence than more affluent middle class people.

I'm proud to be working class. I never went to university as we couldn't afford anything like that, but it never stopped me picking up a book to widen my knowledge. The middle classes really get up my wick looking down their nose at Mr Average when most of what they have is handed down by mummy and daddy.

But you side with Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage?

And?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1888 on March 14, 2019, 08:53:25 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I think the result of the referendum is the stupidest moment in this country's history but I got told to 'suck it up'. Perhaps you were one of those saying it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1889 on March 14, 2019, 09:13:03 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I'm proud to be working class. I never went to university as we couldn't afford anything like that, but it never stopped me picking up a book to widen my knowledge. The middle classes really get up my wick looking down their nose at Mr Average when most of what they have is handed down by mummy and daddy.

But you side with Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage?

And?

Well I WOULD spell it out but I think you'd accuse me of being condescending.

A hint. Have a read what you wrote about middle classes helped by mummy and daddy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012