Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:47:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: No Brexit Extension  (Read 94325 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: No Brexit Extension
« Reply #1380 on December 20, 2020, 09:53:30 pm by Filo »
Looks like Europe has brought forward Brexit, Eurotunnel closed and travel by air and sea banned to and from the UK

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1381 on December 20, 2020, 09:55:50 pm by drfchound »
This Brexit situation is going to be so good for the UK....... isn’t it?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1382 on December 20, 2020, 10:27:53 pm by IDM »
This Brexit situation is going to be so good for the UK....... isn’t it?

I wonder how many of the 17.2 million are thinking the same now, eh.?

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #1383 on December 20, 2020, 10:28:49 pm by Janso »
Don't worry Axholme said we'll be reyt.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1384 on December 21, 2020, 08:11:06 am by wilts rover »
Looks like Europe has brought forward Brexit, Eurotunnel closed and travel by air and sea banned to and from the UK

but we have taken back control...

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1385 on December 21, 2020, 10:53:40 am by Glyn_Wigley »

but we have taken back control...

And so have the French! Good for them, eh?

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1386 on December 21, 2020, 12:20:49 pm by Axholme Lion »
Don't worry Axholme said we'll be reyt.

You beat me to it!  :lol:

Life goes on. It's like talking to my Mrs on here, she always worries about things that may/may not happen. I tell her there's no point in fretting over what hasn't happened yet. Even if bad things do happen you just pick yourself up and crack on, it's the only way to be.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1387 on December 21, 2020, 02:01:51 pm by Not Now Kato »
Seems we didn't just sell some of our fishing rights, one of our past Kings gave some away in perpetuity....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55190259

I wonder if anyone has told Boris

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1388 on December 23, 2020, 11:09:45 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I rarely feel ashamed to be British but there's something about sharing a nationality with this piece of shite that makes my skin crawl.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kelvmackenzie/status/1341435277001285635

He is more responsible than anyone in the country for the ignorant Little Englander mentality that is so prevalent. Never missed an opportunity to whip up xenophobia.

And, as usual, he doesn't even get his facts right. France has been an ally of the UK in every major war of the past 200 years.

t**t.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1389 on December 23, 2020, 12:35:18 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I rarely feel ashamed to be British but there's something about sharing a nationality with this piece of shite that makes my skin crawl.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kelvmackenzie/status/1341435277001285635

He is more responsible than anyone in the country for the ignorant Little Englander mentality that is so prevalent. Never missed an opportunity to whip up xenophobia.

And, as usual, he doesn't even get his facts right. France has been an ally of the UK in every major war of the past 200 years.

t**t.

I agree with your point absolutely his language is ridiculous.  But they weren't an ally as such in the Falklands were they?  Even still that was 40 years ago now.

I don't think Macron has done the right things right now though.  Just look at the French hauliers being interviewed on the news. One to quote said he had no issue with UK authorities but solely with Macron.  I do doubt that action would have been taken without brexit talks ongoing.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1390 on December 23, 2020, 12:37:52 pm by selby »
  We could solve it in a week, send the lorries to car parks in the centre of London and send the French government the bill.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1391 on December 23, 2020, 12:51:39 pm by wilts rover »
  We could solve it in a week, send the lorries to car parks in the centre of London and send the French government the bill.

Aye, that will really get your fruit and veg delivered when empty lorries are parked up on Regent Street

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1392 on December 23, 2020, 01:02:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP

Mitterrand immediately banned arms sales to Argentina when the war started. Our Defence Secretary said France was our most important ally in the Falklands War.

Regarding the current issue, the UK Govt announced that the new mutation which is believed to be up to 100% more transmissible was "out of control". Those were the precise words from Hancock. Over 40 countries have banned travel from the UK. What exactly was Macron supposed to do?

Flip it the other way. If the most dangerous mutation of the virus anywhere in the world was centred in Pas de Calais and Macron had gone on TV and said it was out of control, don't you think we'd be justified in closing the Dover crossing while we sorted out a testing regime? It would be criminally incompetent not to.

This "taking back control" thing works both ways.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1393 on December 23, 2020, 01:31:14 pm by wilts rover »
#skynews - The government say you should go to Manston to get tested?

That's lies... they locked the gates at Manston... so the #LorryDrivers are prisoner... & that's against the law... the army were supposed to be testing at the port this morning... it's lies.

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1341689743772422144

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1394 on December 23, 2020, 01:51:20 pm by selby »
  According to Sky News the new strain has also been found in Belgium Gibraltar Denmark and Italy, well the Lord did say share with your fellow man.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1395 on December 23, 2020, 01:58:07 pm by wilts rover »
  According to Sky News the new strain has also been found in Belgium Gibraltar Denmark and Italy, well the Lord did say share with your fellow man.

Hong Kong as well, I have just been reading.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1396 on December 23, 2020, 01:59:08 pm by wilts rover »
The EU has outsmarted the UK at every turn say that lefty, marxist rag, the err Daily Telegraph:

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1341743000951672837

• VSC Member
« Reply #1397 on December 23, 2020, 02:56:38 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I think we should see what's in the deal first.  To even get a deal is a pretty big feat for both EU and UK.  Let's see if they finally as rumoured agree it today/tomorrow.  It's in all of our interests then to make whatever it is work.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1398 on December 23, 2020, 03:01:07 pm by belton rover »
I think we should see what's in the deal first.  To even get a deal is a pretty big feat for both EU and UK.  Let's see if they finally as rumoured agree it today/tomorrow.  It's in all of our interests then to make whatever it is work.
Absolutely spot on, Big.
Simple, clear, concise and sensible.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1399 on December 23, 2020, 03:14:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP.

Absolutely it is our interests to make it work. But be clear. There is no possible future world in which "making it work" means we are not a large amount poorer than we would have been if we hadn't left the SM. It's just a case of minimising the negative hit as much as we can.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member

• VSC Member
« Reply #1401 on December 23, 2020, 05:22:36 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
BFYP.

Absolutely it is our interests to make it work. But be clear. There is no possible future world in which "making it work" means we are not a large amount poorer than we would have been if we hadn't left the SM. It's just a case of minimising the negative hit as much as we can.

Of course you assume everyone is equal, there will be many winners and losers.  A new era is something we should be excited about isn't it rather than focussing on the negatives?

Also once the EU deal is done a better devolution process from westminster should imo of course.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1402 on December 23, 2020, 05:30:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
On average BFYP, we will be poorer. No economist anywhere in the world outside a slack handful of extreme free market radicals are making the case that this will not be a big hit. And even those say that we'd need huge social upheaval to see any long term benefit. They talk about doing away with all tariffs, accepting that this would destroy what's left of our manufacturing industry, and say that would require the "managed decline" of Northern towns.

So forgive me if I don't share your excitement in the dawn of a new era. It would be a new era for my company if we chose to burn £5 in every £100 that we earn, but I wouldn't rush to it with open arms. And that loss is about the average of what economists are predicting the net effect will be of leaving the SM.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1403 on December 23, 2020, 07:18:04 pm by belton rover »
By poorer, BST, can we assume by your statistics you only mean financially poorer (on average)?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1404 on December 23, 2020, 07:33:02 pm by wilts rover »
BFYP.

Of course you assume everyone is equal, there will be many winners and losers.  A new era is something we should be excited about isn't it rather than focussing on the negatives?

Also once the EU deal is done a better devolution process from westminster should imo of course.

But doesn't that depend on how beneficial this new age will be BFYP - as opposed to it just happening?

The Industrial Revolution was a wonderful time for the mill/factory/mine & property owners - but not so great for those who worked in them or lived in their slums. It took over a hundred and fifty years and two world wars for ordinary people to have decent and safe working conditions and decent health care - they can go a lot quicker.

Brexit was a project devised and implemented by people who want to turn the UK into a de-regulated tax haven with lower workplace and environmental standards.

If this doesn't happen it will be a good thing. If it does, well...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1405 on December 23, 2020, 08:03:47 pm by Filo »
Apparently, a deal is imminent

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/23/eu-countries-prepare-for-possible-imminent-brexit-deal

I think when the PM and Shapps had a private little chuckle between them the other night at Robert Peston’s brexit question, that was a clue a deal was all but done

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1406 on December 23, 2020, 09:48:42 pm by ravenrover »
BFYP

Mitterrand immediately banned arms sales to Argentina when the war started. Our Defence Secretary said France was our most important ally in the Falklands War.

Regarding the current issue, the UK Govt announced that the new mutation which is believed to be up to 100% more transmissible was "out of control". Those were the precise words from Hancock. Over 40 countries have banned travel from the UK. What exactly was Macron supposed to do?

Flip it the other way. If the most dangerous mutation of the virus anywhere in the world was centred in Pas de Calais and Macron had gone on TV and said it was out of control, don't you think we'd be justified in closing the Dover crossing while we sorted out a testing regime? It would be criminally incompetent not to.

This "taking back control" thing works both ways.
Re closing our borders
Much as we didn't do and still haven't done since March you mean Bill. Without trawling back isn't that one of the things you have lambasted this shower for not doing?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1407 on December 23, 2020, 10:10:25 pm by Filo »
We have 5 year olds in the HoC, Star Chamber FFS!

https://twitter.com/davidjonesmp/status/1341830397479546881?s=21

• VSC Member
« Reply #1408 on December 23, 2020, 10:48:23 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
BFYP.

But doesn't that depend on how beneficial this new age will be BFYP - as opposed to it just happening?

The Industrial Revolution was a wonderful time for the mill/factory/mine & property owners - but not so great for those who worked in them or lived in their slums. It took over a hundred and fifty years and two world wars for ordinary people to have decent and safe working conditions and decent health care - they can go a lot quicker.

Brexit was a project devised and implemented by people who want to turn the UK into a de-regulated tax haven with lower workplace and environmental standards.

If this doesn't happen it will be a good thing. If it does, well...

I think I'd say I agree pretty much fully with what you say. I do not think any party would seriously puss a mass deregulation of standards. Granted we may see greater flex in some rules which should be beneficial.

Of course much of what happens now going forward should be down to us as a country and a trade deal should not hide the huge changes we do have to make going forwards.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1409 on December 24, 2020, 12:47:57 am by Glyn_Wigley »
We have 5 year olds in the HoC, Star Chamber FFS!

https://twitter.com/davidjonesmp/status/1341830397479546881?s=21

Have you never heard of the Star Chamber that Henry VII instituted that this is named after?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012