Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 07:02:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sir john  (Read 14658 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Re: Sir john
« Reply #30 on May 27, 2019, 08:43:21 pm by roversdude »
Anyway it was a good game

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 27, 2019, 09:30:37 pm by redarmi66 »

Without JR there may not have been a DRFC. I would suggest he has plenty of pennies to rub together. But there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough. If the current board had the same ambition and committed the same percentage of their wealth as JR did then who knows ......

Really. Bore off will you.

i will if you will 😂

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 27, 2019, 09:34:28 pm by Guernsey Exile »

Without JR there may not have been a DRFC. I would suggest he has plenty of pennies to rub together. But there comes a point where you have to say enough is enough. If the current board had the same ambition and committed the same percentage of their wealth as JR did then who knows ......

i will if you will 😂

Im not the one raking over old ground. Get over it

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 27, 2019, 10:22:31 pm by silent majority »
I sense a personal issue here ⬆️⬆️

Why would it be personal? All I've done is point out that he didn't do everything in the best interests of the club.
His motives though were in the best interest of the club. He was desperate to try and take the club further ( premier league dream )
The fact that his plan was fundamentally flawed does not mean his motives were also.

No, his motives were in the best interests of John Ryan, certainly not the club.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 27, 2019, 10:36:18 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't see why so many have a problem separating the brilliant things JR did from the questionable ones he did later. The former don't make the latter okay, likewise what happened later on doesn't nullify all the good done beforehand.

He saved this club, he played a decisive role in taking us from the doldrums to prominence and he did that all with DRFC at his heart.

Then he tried to sell the club to a dodgy hedge fund, tried to undermine the other owners by quitting in the manner he did, then came up with a crap scheme to try and get One Direction fans, essentially, to cough up enough money to buy us back. But like I say, that stuff doesn't take away from the great things he did for many years prior to that and people should keep in mind that the two things don't have to be equated to one another all the time.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 27, 2019, 11:37:15 pm by tyke1962 »
Ive met John Ryan and was in his company for a couple of hours , quite by chance by the way .

Myself and my mates were on our way down to our FA cup semi final against Cardiff in 2008 and caught the train from Donny early morning .

The numptys that we are failed to book seats and the train was rammed with tykes who had caught the train from  Wakefield .

We ventured in to first class and a bloke and his mate in a sharp suit said sit here , one of whom was John Ryan who we recognised .

To be honest I was a bit off to start with because I always thought he was a bit of a little git who didn't like us too much and besides all that you'd turned us over too many times to get an endorsement from me .

He was ok to to be fair and was down for the game himself , wished us well and was very complimentary on how we seemed to punch well above our weight given the size of the club , we'd reached the semi final knocking out Liverpool and Chelsea .

Pretty down to earth bloke to be honest given his huge wealth , just a football fan with a bob or two .

Mind you he could talk , kin hell we were all nervous as hell and dying for a beer to calm the nerves and this guy is going twenty to the dozen .

Alreight guy to be honest .

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 28, 2019, 10:43:58 am by redarmy82 »

Why would it be personal? All I've done is point out that he didn't do everything in the best interests of the club.
His motives though were in the best interest of the club. He was desperate to try and take the club further ( premier league dream )
The fact that his plan was fundamentally flawed does not mean his motives were also.

No, his motives were in the best interests of John Ryan, certainly not the club.

Prove it.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 28, 2019, 01:22:32 pm by silent majority »
It never ceases to amaze me that posters on this forum are critical of the EFL and the owners and director's test, often posting that it should be strengthened to keep out unscrupulous owners.

There's debate about clubs like Bolton, Bury, Coventry etc. And yet people forget that JR failed that very test. That in itself tells you he was unsuitable to be taking over and running this club. How that is an action that was for the benefit of the club is beyond me.

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 28, 2019, 02:51:07 pm by Lifelong supporter »
It's certainly not personal is it SM?
To say JR's motives were in his best interests and certainly not the club is a calumny of the highest order.
Very brave from a man with no personal motive and who always acts in the best interests of the club and not himself.
I don't know what you were doing at the time but his money helped save the club after Richardson almost destroyed it.
He ploughed millions into the club to get it back into the League and then brought Bramall and Watson on board to take it to the next level.
He always had the best interests of the club at heart, even latterly when he made some bad decisions.
That was because he was a superfan of the highest order, would never knowingly do the club down and always wanted it to do well.
When he left he gave away his shares to the other main shareholders and there was talk he also paid them half a million for not going through with the takeover deal which at one time they were happy to accept.
Not many chairman can say they left a football club in a far healthier position than when they first arrived.
He did, and it's disgraceful that you take every opportunity to carry on your personal vendetta and try to sully his reputation.
He was, and still is, one of the most important figures for good in the history of the club.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 28, 2019, 02:53:59 pm by Barmby Rover »
There are others in the club's structure I never trust, but then I don't hold grudges.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 28, 2019, 03:18:07 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Without JR we wouldn't be having this very discussion.

For that, I'll be forever grateful.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 28, 2019, 05:37:08 pm by silent majority »
Lifelong,

I have no interest in your point of view, as a man who has been a publicist and promoter of all things to do with John you obviously view things from a different viewpoint to myself.

It's not personal, if it was I would declare much more than I have so far. But threatening me with legal action and insinuating I would be made bankrupt doesn't sit very well.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 28, 2019, 06:12:00 pm by redarmy82 »
Didn't the current heriarchy agree to sell to Jr's hedgefund, and it only fell through due to the fit and proper test? If that's the case, where were their concerns at the time?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 28, 2019, 06:45:08 pm by Filo »
Didn't the current heriarchy agree to sell to Jr's hedgefund, and it only fell through due to the fit and proper test? If that's the case, where were their concerns at the time?

I think that is a slight twist as to what happened, I think the current heriarchy asked to see proof of funds which was not forthcoming until the crowdfunder and One Direction mob were leashed up on us

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 28, 2019, 07:14:26 pm by RedJ »

I think that is a slight twist as to what happened, I think the current heriarchy asked to see proof of funds which was not forthcoming until the crowdfunder and One Direction mob were leashed up on us

Didn't they give him a deadline to have the money by or something? I seem to remember he had to have the funding in place by a certain date because it wasn't already there.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 28, 2019, 07:48:41 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I think you're getting things a bit mixed up with the two takeover attempts. I think it's best to leave this subject well alone and in the past.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 28, 2019, 07:59:52 pm by drfchound »
Maybe so DBR but it is herecy to suggest that JR didn't have the best interests of the club as his primary objective.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 28, 2019, 08:01:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Maybe so DBR but it is herecy to suggest that JR didn't have the best interests of the club as his primary objective.

I didn't say anything of the sort did I?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 28, 2019, 08:04:19 pm by drfchound »

I didn't say anything of the sort did I?

No and I hadn't said that YOU did.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 28, 2019, 08:11:49 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

I don't think using the word heresy puts anything in a positive light.

I think it's clear there were two distinct phases of JR engagement with the club. The first is almost undoubtedly positive and praiseworthy. The latter is questionable, maybe more unwise than self centred, but whatever, I'm glad we are where we are. And there could be a third phase, who knows what lies ahead?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 28, 2019, 08:57:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

It was the FA that wanted to see proof of enough funds to fulfil the following season's fixtures. Nobody showed them any such proof.

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 28, 2019, 09:02:18 pm by redarmi66 »

i will if you will 😂

Im not the one raking over old ground. Get over it
I’m in the here and now. But im entitled to an opinion.boring or not. Its valid. Thought that this forum was a place to share an opinion or a view. Were all donny arent we?😀

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 28, 2019, 09:30:28 pm by Lifelong supporter »
Lifelong,

I have no interest in your point of view, as a man who has been a publicist and promoter of all things to do with John you obviously view things from a different viewpoint to myself.

It's not personal, if it was I would declare much more than I have so far. But threatening me with legal action and insinuating I would be made bankrupt doesn't sit very well.

So it's not personal then.
Glad we got that sorted out.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 29, 2019, 02:04:03 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Lifelong,

So it's not personal then.
Glad we got that sorted out.

How about asking yourself who made it personal first?

Also, are you happy with the way JR lied to the club and the Rovers fans (and Louis Tomlinson, according to Louis himself) during the second takeover attempt?

Lifelong supporter

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 29, 2019, 09:36:05 am by Lifelong supporter »
So, if you're saying JR made it personal first you must be agreeing it is personal for SM now.
As I said, glad we got that one sorted out.
I've already stated I think JR made big mistakes towards the end but I'm not aware of Louis saying he lied to him.
Perhaps you could provide chapter and verse.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 29, 2019, 12:44:21 pm by Drover »

How you can claim a man who saved the club,who encouraged TB and DW to join the management in the first place,who has written off any money the club owe him,only motives was in his interests is,like another said disgusting.This is ridiculously obviously personal now,its like the power struggle of back stabbing by the tories over Brexit.It looks like JR did'nt want to engage with you when he was at the club,which was his perogative.TB does engage with you so you keep this vendetta of blackening JR's name at every attempt.But sorry SM,I like thousands of other Rovers fans/players/staff will always appreciate what JR did for Rovers.No matter how many times you keep trying to make him look a villian.Live with it.If you was as smart has TB is,you would do has he does.keep quiet on the matter.JR isn't perfect,nobody is,but he isn't a villian neither.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:28:12 pm by Drover »

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 29, 2019, 12:51:55 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

How you can claim a man who saved the club,who encouraged TB and DW to join the management in the first place,who has written off any money the club owe him,only motives was in his interests is,like another said disgusting.This is ridiculously obviously personal now,its like the power struggle of back stabbing by the tories over Brexit.It looks like JR did'nt want to engage with you when he was at the club,which was his perogative.TB does engage with you so you keep this vendetta of blackening JR's name at every attempt.But sorry SM,I like thousands of other Rovers fans/players/staff will always appreciate what JR did for Rovers.No matter how many times you keep trying to make him look a villian.HLive with it.If you was as smart has TB is,you would do has he does.keep quiet on thematter.He isn't perfect,but he isn't a villian.

I don't think SM is dissing JR for the bulk of his dealings with the club, just maybe that last bit? Wise to distinguish the two periods, whichever side of the line you choose to be on.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 29, 2019, 01:44:28 pm by Drover »

How you can claim a man who saved the club,who encouraged TB and DW to join the management in the first place,who has written off any money the club owe him,only motives was in his interests is,like another said disgusting.This is ridiculously obviously personal now,its like the power struggle of back stabbing by the tories over Brexit.It looks like JR did'nt want to engage with you when he was at the club,which was his perogative.TB does engage with you so you keep this vendetta of blackening JR's name at every attempt.But sorry SM,I like thousands of other Rovers fans/players/staff will always appreciate what JR did for Rovers.No matter how many times you keep trying to make him look a villian.HLive with it.If you was as smart has TB is,you would do has he does.keep quiet on thematter.He isn't perfect,but he isn't a villian.

I don't think SM is dissing JR for the bulk of his dealings with the club, just maybe that last bit? Wise to distinguish the two periods, whichever side of the line you choose to be on.
If that was true BRR,I would accept that,but I don't think it is.I don't recall him ever saying 1 good thing about JR ever.I don't recall him debating anything about the previous period.I understand JR probably got reckless,maybe even desperate in his hopes to reach the Premiership,but there is no need to diss him every single time supporters praise him.We know what SM has told us already,but I think SM should understand,we have our own opinions about JR with that information noted.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 29, 2019, 02:20:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So, if you're saying JR made it personal first you must be agreeing it is personal for SM now.
I've already stated I think JR made big mistakes towards the end but I'm not aware of Louis saying he lied to him.

You really need to study logic more, it doesn't mean that at all. I have no idea if SM is being personal, I'm just pointing out that he has every right to take it personally if he wants to.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 29, 2019, 02:24:52 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/i-was-misled-claims-pop-star-tomlinson-over-failed-doncaster-takeover-1-6735649

And JR specifically told the fans that the Crowdfunder initiative was NOT the source of funds for the takeover. When it was all along. Using your own distorted view of logic, that must mean you're happy with him coming out with that whopper to everybody.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012