Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:40:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Rochdale game  (Read 5739 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« on October 10, 2018, 07:42:13 am by selby »
  A game against a team we played four times last season, and ended up on the wrong side of the result three out of four times.
 They always play with spirit, in Henderson, Wilbraham, McGahey, and Cannon have some very good players at this level who have troubled us in the past, and a good experienced manager, so a difficult game in prospect for us to get back on track with our league form.
  After an encouraging  game last night, with most of  our fringe players at last showing they can play a bit things are looking up on the substitute bench, with Alfie May especially pushing to be involved together with Crawford and the two Andersons.
  Can Kane play or is he suspended? if not he will be a very big miss. Other than that I would pick the same starting line up, hard on May, but Wilks was our best attacker against Fleetwood, having our best effort on goal, setting up Marquis for his missed header, and being bundled over when going past two central defenders on the edge of the box, and Marquis is a shoe in, but it is great that May is pushing for a start, and they now have competition.
   If Kane is out I would bring in one of Anderson or Crawford, and if Butler is injured Tom Anderson to replace him.
  Can we get back to winning ways?
   What team would you pick?
   Are you going to the game?
   Are you happier the bench is showing signs of improvement?
   What positions would you like to see strengthened in the next transfer window?
    Lots to discuss please have your say.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:48:01 am by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Rochdale game
« Reply #1 on October 10, 2018, 09:28:58 am by wing commander »
The question is who did enough last night to force there way into the team..Not his biggest fan but May apparently had a very good game.Obviously Kane is out so it's a forced change in midfield..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 10, 2018, 09:40:11 am by steve@dcfd »
Only one player did enough to try and force the managers hand that was Alfie May. GM will have to decide whether J Anderson, my choice, or Crawford will play the centre three. If Butler is not available then T Anderson would come in.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 10, 2018, 11:43:09 am by Donnywolf »
Only one player did enough to try and force the managers hand that was Alfie May. GM will have to decide whether J Anderson, my choice, or Crawford will play the centre three. If Butler is not available then T Anderson would come in.

MMMM - I think that covers it nicely - and also explains why Kane was playing !

We won convincingly enough and probably could / should have scored 5 ? 6 ? 7 ? and yet there seemed very little there for GM to latch onto and take a positive from (as Managers like to say)

I was bullish about another victory at Spotland but I will maybe have to revise / wait for injury outcomes before unleasing the Taurus in me !

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 10, 2018, 12:19:02 pm by RoversAlias »
I think Crawford will come in but at least this is a position we have good depth at. Not to take away from Kane though who will be missed as he is a class player.

This will be my first trip to Spotland, looking forward to it and I certainly hope it doesn't end as the fixture did last year with those two goals at the death.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on October 10, 2018, 12:25:06 pm by RedJ »
I think Crawford will come in but at least this is a position we have good depth at. Not to take away from Kane though who will be missed as he is a class player.

This will be my first trip to Spotland, looking forward to it and I certainly hope it doesn't end as the fixture did last year with those two goals at the death.

Chippy outside the away end. You won't regret it.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 10, 2018, 12:34:55 pm by bobbymax »
Seeing as how the Spotland pitch can't handle anything above a brief shower, might be worth checking the game is on before leaving if the forecast for gales and heavy rain in the north west is correct.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 10, 2018, 12:36:15 pm by adamtherover »
with better finishing from both sides, it could have been a 4 all!!,    that said the defense will have taken much confidence from a clean sheet.

Alfie was the star by a mile!!!  he was everywhere!!! speed, great footwork.. .took both goals with confidence!..

ps, anyone recommend any parking if the stadium car park is full?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 10, 2018, 12:37:28 pm by RedJ »
with better finishing from both sides, it could have been a 4 all!!,    that said the defense will have taken much confidence from a clean sheet.

Alfie was the star by a mile!!!  he was everywhere!!! speed, great footwork.. .took both goals with confidence!..

Plenty of street parking pal.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 10, 2018, 03:54:41 pm by Donnywolf »

From Football Ground Guide

Car Parking at the ground is now for permit holders only, so it is a case of finding some street parking. However the streets in the immediate vicinity of Spotland are for 'residents only,' so if you are not careful you could end with a parking ticket for your trouble, so check first to see if there are street parking restriction signs, before deciding to park up. There is street parking to be had along the main A680 (Edenfield Road) which can be found at the end of Willbutts Lane, only a 5-10 minute walk away from the stadium.

Post Code for SAT NAV: OL11 5DR

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/spotland-rochdale.html#adirections-and-car-parking

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 10, 2018, 04:04:38 pm by Donnywolf »
Seeing as how the Spotland pitch can't handle anything above a brief shower, might be worth checking the game is on before leaving if the forecast for gales and heavy rain in the north west is correct.

Till quite recently they had been Promoted only in 1968/9 (We were of course Championes sic). I asked a bloke who supported them why they were so poor at getting promo ! He said it was because the Pitch waterlogged every Winter and was heavy to play on and they also lost lots of fixtures and ended with 10 games in hand. Lots of the oldies on here will remember that happening every Season

Then 10 years back maybe a bit more they said "enough is enough" and decided to dig up the drainage system and upgrade it to make it more efficient - and guess what they found ? Nothing - it seemed that there never had been a system in the first place. So they installed one and got promos in 2010 and 2014 so it looks like it worked

I was told this by a Bloke (Health and  Safety Inspector) many years ago and I never doubted his word !

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 10, 2018, 04:07:34 pm by scawsby steve »

MMMM - I think that covers it nicely - and also explains why Kane was playing !

We won convincingly enough and probably could / should have scored 5 ? 6 ? 7 ? and yet there seemed very little there for GM to latch onto and take a positive from (as Managers like to say)

I was bullish about another victory at Spotland but I will maybe have to revise / wait for injury outcomes before unleasing the Taurus in me !

Another victory at Spotland Wolfie?, you have to go back a while since the last one; I make it 4 seasons ago, with a 3-1 win.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on October 10, 2018, 04:34:13 pm by Donnywolf »
... ah yes - when I wrote that I thought it may spell trouble !

I meant I was feeling bullish about another victory (after last night) - and added "at Spotland" rather than just stopping the sentence there !

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 10, 2018, 04:37:34 pm by RedJ »

Till quite recently they had been Promoted only in 1968/9 (We were of course Championes sic). I asked a bloke who supported them why they were so poor at getting promo ! He said it was because the Pitch waterlogged every Winter and was heavy to play on and they also lost lots of fixtures and ended with 10 games in hand. Lots of the oldies on here will remember that happening every Season

Then 10 years back maybe a bit more they said "enough is enough" and decided to dig up the drainage system and upgrade it to make it more efficient - and guess what they found ? Nothing - it seemed that there never had been a system in the first place. So they installed one and got promos in 2010 and 2014 so it looks like it worked

I was told this by a Bloke (Health and  Safety Inspector) many years ago and I never doubted his word !

I drove there last season, there's some parking just down the road on a main road you can chuck your car in. Might be a bit busier with it being a Saturday but there's plenty of places to park not a million miles away.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 10, 2018, 09:15:18 pm by bedale rover »

Park up near the cemetery  pub excellent real ale and a nice walk to the ground

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 11, 2018, 09:42:43 am by Campsall rover »
Yes it can these days. Had very heavy rain last season before and during the match and the pitch was fantastic. One of the best in the league.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on October 11, 2018, 09:54:10 am by Retdon1 »
Not the biggest fan of mays but apparently he had a very good game on Tuesday night. His confidence should be sky high so he could have earned himself a chance to start a game. Not sure ahead of who though out of Wilkes and Copps. 

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on October 11, 2018, 11:34:37 am by CottyRover »
Wilks seems below par at the moment, especially scoring. Perhaps May  could take his place with Wilks coming on later as an impact sub.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on October 11, 2018, 04:42:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I don't think May can do much more!

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 11, 2018, 05:42:37 pm by adamtherover »
Lots of rain is forecast, isn't their pitch prone to flooding? 

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 11, 2018, 05:50:16 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

See the post above about the drainage system.

On windy.com at the mo they have it as a nice break in the rain before and during the match, 19*C but feels like -20*C with the 40mph gusts of a southerly wind and it being Rochdale.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 12, 2018, 05:45:48 pm by Campsall rover »

See the post above about the drainage system.

On windy.com at the mo they have it as a nice break in the rain before and during the match, 19*C but feels like -20*C with the 40mph gusts of a southerly wind and it being Rochdale.
They had the pitch re laid twice last season and as I posted previously the pitch was immaculate when we played there last season and it rained bucket loads before and during the game.
Only way it will be off is if we get a monsoon or gale force winds that make football impossible.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 12, 2018, 06:24:52 pm by graingrover »
After watching the Grimsby game I would add May ,Crawford and Lawlor.
Lawlor ,Mason.Wright, Butler Andrew,Whiteman Crawford ,Copps, Wilks.Marquis ,May....with Taylor a close call to replacing Wilks

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 12, 2018, 07:42:37 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
After watching the Grimsby game I would add May ,Crawford and Lawlor.
Lawlor ,Mason.Wright, Butler Andrew,Whiteman Crawford ,Copps, Wilks.Marquis ,May....with Taylor a close call to replacing Wilks
I suspect Lawlor will get a chance at some point but don't think now is the time.

From the little I've seen of May, he's come on lots but still a way to go. I don't think that Grimsby game really shows where he's at, he's definitely a good player, great at that kind of level, but still to establish himself to League 1. It's a toss up between Wilks and May depending on tactics and form in training.

I'd also play Blair and bring on Crawford for Copps at this point. Again, maybe training form and tactics would change that.

Taylor will come good too and will get his chance, just doubt now is his time. That move of his in the highlights of the Grimsby game at 0:44 was sublime.
https://youtu.be/p5X08M-fcGk?t=44

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on October 12, 2018, 08:12:59 pm by The Red Baron »
I noticed that McCann is toying with the idea of playing Tom Anderson tomorrow, because Butler and Wright are both on four yellows. He doesn't want to be without them both for the next game.

In fact I am quite in favour of the idea. Butler has had a couple of poor games and Wright had his worst game of the season last Saturday. Also Anderson's physical presence might be useful against Andrew.

I would start with Crawford in midfield in place of Kane and bring in May for Wilks. I wouldn't drop Copps despite the fact he hasn't influenced the last couple of games much. I just think he's struggling to do Saturday- Tuesday - Saturday and will be better for a quiet week.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 13, 2018, 10:14:30 am by selby »
  Looking through the post's there is plenty of slightly different opinions on the team make up after the last two disappointing results.
 The first real test this season of Grant's managerial nous whether he can stear us back onto the winning path, I am sure he can but this game will be a big test.
  Interesting the theory that Coppinger has not affected the last few games, probably why we lost, and does it show the other players can't do it either? or just that as a team we have not performed, the latter is more the truth to me, and the fact that Rowe has not played, those two (Coppinger and Rowe) with Kane gave the best midfield display since our championship days of Stock and Wellens at Peterborough.
 It now being more than a eleven man game, the substitutes are more and more important, I have never liked three in quick succession, it hardly ever works, and mostly disrupts rather than enhance a teams performance, although there is nothing wrong with an early substitution if a player is obviously off it, not something I think we could do better, but a lot of teams not just us are not that good at.
  I hope for a win, we are more than capable of doing it if we get back to playing well, have a good day everyone.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on October 13, 2018, 12:28:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
We lost last week because we never converted numerous chances we had. Plus the two centre halves were poor. Nothing to do with Cops influence. In fact it’s about time he scored that would influence the game.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 13, 2018, 01:53:47 pm by graingrover »
I have changed my formation again as I agree that it is wise to split Wright and Butlerl who are both on 4 yellows ..so Grant here is your starting line up.
 Lawlor, Mason ,Wright ,Anderson , Andrew.Whiteman ,Crawford ,Copps , May , Marquis, Taylor.

Envoyé de mon EVA-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 13, 2018, 01:55:52 pm by godlike1 »
Will be a big challenge today and a test of how good or poor this team could be this season.

If we bounce back and get a win then it shows great character and resolve.

If we draw but play well then you'd say the same as above

Draw but play badly, well at least we didn't get beat

Loose and play well, clearly lacking strength in depth

Loose and play badly, oh dear lacking strength in depth  3 losses on the bounce and loss of form already

Just my thoughts

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on October 13, 2018, 02:47:20 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
I have changed my formation again as I agree that it is wise to split Wright and Butlerl who are both on 4 yellows ..so Grant here is your starting line up.
 Lawlor, Mason ,Wright ,Anderson , Andrew.Whiteman ,Crawford ,Copps , May , Marquis, Taylor.

Why Lawlor?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012