Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 07:44:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23316 times)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #120 on August 11, 2019, 04:31:53 pm by IDM »
How do you know the striker(s) haven’t been identified and negotiations going on.? Just because nothing has been said.?  What was said about Taylor before he signed only a few days ago.?

How you can say any team is bang average after two games doesn’t make sense either..

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on August 11, 2019, 04:32:05 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Too much flapaboutery going on here  :woot:

Getting a good loan striker is better than picking the scraps of what's available, or throwing money away by teasing a player from a club that he's already settled in for the season. At this stage of the season, buying is at a premium, loaning is where the market is advantageous.

The January window may be where an astute purchase happens, or maybe there's one about to happen. As said, nowhere did DM say he wasn't looking at buying. Clubs know we have cash, and by stating the need to buy the price will be pushed up. Jeez, I hope none of the flappers here are after a second hand car!

We're also potentially looking at buying a centre back.

And the folks questioning the board pocketing money given all the evidence over recent years, and currently, need to f**k right off. Ooops I said it, f**k right off.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on August 11, 2019, 04:34:56 pm by since-1969 »

Getting a good loan striker is better than picking the scraps of what's available, or throwing money away by teasing a player from a club that he's already settled in for the season. At this stage of the season, buying is at a premium, loaning is where the market is advantageous.

The January window may be where an astute purchase happens, or maybe there's one about to happen. As said, nowhere did DM say he wasn't looking at buying. Clubs know we have cash, and by stating the need to buy the price will be pushed up. Jeez, I hope none of the flappers here are after a second hand car!

And the folks questioning the board pocketing money given all the evidence over recent years, and currently, need to f**k right off. Ooops I said it, f**k right off.
Let’s borrow everybody’s  striker and see who the best players OR we could pay a modest fee for our own .

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on August 11, 2019, 04:35:29 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
How anyone can argue against this being very poor planning is beyond me

How come everyone is now saying what I was implying a week ago but got dogs abuse for.

When you say we shouldn’t of let Marquis go, are you actually proposing that we should have kept him against his wishes?
Not quite kidnapping, but being kept captive and being made to play I assume?

and how do you think that would have panned out?
Do you think he would have put his all into chasing and harrying defences, putting in potential career changing tackles, bearing in mind he wants the big pay day....are you thinking the rest of the players would rally to him and support him, knowing he was jumping ship once we got his replacement in...

I don’t get what you think a disgruntled player can offer to a club once he’s made his mind up to leave!!

Please enlighten me with a reasonable response steeped in facts not fantasy...

What’s the point in contracts then if every player who wants to leave should just be let go. “Being held captive and being made to play” are you being serious... you mean actually doing his job... you do write some absolute rubbish

So Marquis has a wife who is desperate to move south towards her family with new babe on the way. Are you unable to understand the consequences refusing that move?

The contract he had allows us to sell him. No contract would mean he walks away free. Again, a bit of a no brainer.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on August 11, 2019, 04:36:22 pm by sha66y »
The trouble is..there's a lot of...

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

..going on the forum. Not one person has provided a convincing counter argument why signing another loan striker is a better approach than spending (the supposed) money we have on a young, long-term prospect striker, that's our own and has a long term potential resale value.

Ok I’ll have a go...
The loan for a striker is like a stop gap, ....get a good one in and you can scrape some results whilst taking your time to really do some homework on strikers you actually want....not perfect, but an ideal solution to a problem ..... yes the loans will leave in 6-12 months but in that time the new manager has set up his off field team, and the right players are being targeted , maybe even tapped up ...who knows...

A loan striker makes sense under our circumstances, ..it’s not about the money at this point, it’s about keeping within shouting distance of the pack, without hastily committing to a striker that may not work out

We should not be buying stop gaps. How long does it take to identify a striker. If DM and his staff are struggling to identify a striker rather than relying on “stop gaps” then maybe we need to bring someone in to take charge of the recruitment side of things so DM can concentrate on coaching the side. To be going into week 3 of the season without a single striker in your first team squad isn’t good enough imo. We have played 2 bang average sides and only got 2 points. The next 2 games will be a great deal tougher

Loaning a striker is the term,
don’t relegate it to a throwaway phrase...

I’ll say it again...” a loan striker that is a good addition to the squad, and fits the bill perfectly “ like a stop gap ( now ya can use it)

Until Darren has got is intended striker.....

There is nothing wrong with this at all....it’s not perfect, it’ll do...

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on August 11, 2019, 04:37:01 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

Let’s borrow everybody’s  striker and see who the best players OR we could pay a modest fee for our own .

Why?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on August 11, 2019, 04:37:38 pm by since-1969 »
Because !

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on August 11, 2019, 04:42:30 pm by Copps is Magic »
Getting a good loan striker is better than[ ..] throwing money away by teasing a player from a club that he's already settled in for the season.

err, why?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on August 11, 2019, 04:45:14 pm by sha66y »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
How anyone can argue against this being very poor planning is beyond me

How come everyone is now saying what I was implying a week ago but got dogs abuse for.

When you say we shouldn’t of let Marquis go, are you actually proposing that we should have kept him against his wishes?
Not quite kidnapping, but being kept captive and being made to play I assume?

and how do you think that would have panned out?
Do you think he would have put his all into chasing and harrying defences, putting in potential career changing tackles, bearing in mind he wants the big pay day....are you thinking the rest of the players would rally to him and support him, knowing he was jumping ship once we got his replacement in...

I don’t get what you think a disgruntled player can offer to a club once he’s made his mind up to leave!!

Please enlighten me with a reasonable response steeped in facts not fantasy...

What’s the point in contracts then if every player who wants to leave should just be let go. “Being held captive and being made to play” are you being serious... you mean actually doing his job... you do write some absolute rubbish

You started your response with a question...that isn’t a good way to get an intelligent response is it ? ( see what I did there)
You have extracted lines out of their true context to pick on, thats poor showing....

Your question “ what’s the point of contracts then”
I won’t even begin to answer something I know nothing about...
I just know you can’t get the BEST out of an asset if it doesn’t want to be here......... can you?

You do answer absolutely rubbish

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on August 11, 2019, 04:45:30 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Might be worth us becoming someone's feeder club as we only bother with loans

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on August 11, 2019, 04:49:00 pm by sha66y »
Now that is a great suggestion....a guy I work with from Derby says that Burton are their feeder club, ... might be some mileage in this....
Developing young players from the likes of Leeds and Sheffield Utd ...
Nahhh, nothing from either of them clubs would think of coming here

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on August 11, 2019, 04:49:30 pm by IDM »

Which two full backs did we just loan? Which currently injured but experienced CB did we loan.?

Which quality winger did we just loan last week.?

Yes we have taken loanees and maybe one more, but to say we only do loans is plainly wrong..

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on August 11, 2019, 05:07:13 pm by Herman Hessian »
Getting a good loan striker is better than[ ..] throwing money away by teasing a player from a club that he's already settled in for the season.

err, why?

because you may end up with a capable addition to the squad who will suffice in the short term rather than pissing money away on a (by definition) hastily-made decision that may backfire with no recourse to a painless resolution

that's why...

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on August 11, 2019, 05:17:18 pm by dknward2 »
People worrying about another loan why maybe we are getting a player in who we can then buy in January but the terms are taking some time.

I expect we will have someone in by Friday, maybe even Monday ready to play in the cup

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on August 11, 2019, 05:24:23 pm by Copps is Magic »

err, why?

because you may end up with a capable addition to the squad who will suffice in the short term rather than pissing money away on a (by definition) hastily-made decision that may backfire with no recourse to a painless resolution

that's why...

That's not why at all. Just reverse what you said and apply it for the loanee.

edit: and why would it have to be a hastily made decision (by definition)? The transfer window closes in september.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:31:03 pm by Copps is Magic »

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on August 11, 2019, 05:35:24 pm by nortikorner »
Two points both scored by a sub with 40 minutes play time in both games
(means the sub only played 20 minutes,70 minutes of the same rubbish as the first match )
What does this actually mean?( we have nothing else to improve the team with)
Does that say something (either poor wages or the lenght of cont
Alfie May men of match both games,
What does this actually mean??? (if thats the best we can do we need help anyboby can  looks good in a poor team)

I’m sure you have a point to make, and it all made sense has it sluiced through your head, however it appears to have got lost once it left there.... sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on August 11, 2019, 05:35:50 pm by IDM »

err, why?

that's why...

edit: and why would it have to be a hastily made decision (by definition)? The transfer window closes in september.

Three weeks away.. not exactly hasty if we are already negotiating..

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on August 11, 2019, 05:37:06 pm by vaya »
(means the sub only played 20 minutes,70 minutes of the same rubbish as the first match )
What does this actually mean?( we have nothing else to improve the team with)
Does that say something (either poor wages or the lenght of cont
Alfie May men of match both games,
What does this actually mean??? (if thats the best we can do we need help anyboby can  looks good in a poor team)

I’m sure you have a point to make, and it all made sense has it sluiced through your head, however it appears to have got lost once it left there.... sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

Who's this sub who scored the goals?

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on August 11, 2019, 05:40:42 pm by Herman Hessian »

err, why?

that's why...

without wishing to appear overly rude - what the f**k are you on about ?

and you think three weeks is long enough to evaluate a purchase - properly - which involves committing a significant proportion of the club's available funds, thereby rendering it permanently unavailable for any subsequent deals - that's called a knee-jerk reaction and is the sort of thing that can set a club back years in it's development

the current manager barely knows the balance, skill set, strengths and weaknesses of his own squad yet, let alone expecting him to pluck someone from another team who's going to be a near instant fit and fix; i realise this doesn't mesh with the new imperative which is immediate, superficial gratification regardless of the cost and long-term implications - but it's how sensible businesses progress; if that attitude alienates some tiny-minded adherents to the cause on the way, that's not the sort of collateral damage that anyone should be remotely bothered about...

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on August 11, 2019, 05:47:23 pm by dickos1 »
3 weeks??
By the time the window closes Moore will have been in charge around 8 weeks.
And he’s not daft he will have known the players he’d like to sign before he even took over

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on August 11, 2019, 05:50:08 pm by Copps is Magic »
HH.

Yeah, don't result to being rude, that's beneath you.

Marquis left on 31st July. The transfer window closes on the 2nd September. If you're telling me that's not enough time to sign one striker, then there's no point having this conversation.

In terms of your last paragraph, I also really despair at everything you wrote. If Moore can't look at the squad and assess we need a striker (he has, by the way, contravening what you write) then there's no hope for this club. When Gavin Baldwin said Moore came with a 'little black book', I presume he meant Moore came with an already existing sound knowledge of players, targets, and prospects. He was not starting from zero.

Now, things happen in negotiations and football in general, but to say we can't sign a striker in that time is silly.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on August 11, 2019, 05:50:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
Folk really need to calm down. We are unbeaten this season and have scored in every game. The manager has said we are bringing in a striker. There is money in the bank. Why all the pant wetting it is really hard to fathom.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on August 11, 2019, 05:59:20 pm by dickos1 »
Ha unbeaten
If the remaining 44 games finished 1-1 we would be relegated my friend

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on August 11, 2019, 06:02:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
Yep - although with significantly more points than your man Ferguson if current form continues, as you suggest.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on August 11, 2019, 06:03:51 pm by dickos1 »
I wonder when your obsession with Ferguson will end

It will Be a great day

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on August 11, 2019, 06:04:14 pm by RoversAlias »
Please not this again lads.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on August 11, 2019, 06:05:53 pm by dickos1 »
Lads?
It’s not me that constantly squeezes him in as much as humanly possible

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on August 11, 2019, 06:07:04 pm by RedJ »
Please not this again lads.

I find it great entertainment tbh.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on August 11, 2019, 06:10:01 pm by bedale rover »
Two games in Two points both scored by a sub with 40minutes play time in both games
does that say something
 Alfie May men of match both games  we need Help
What does this actually mean?
Does that say something
What does this actually mean?
Alfie May men of match both games, we need help!
What does this actually mean???

I’m sure you have a point to make, and it all made sense has it sluiced through your head, however it appears to have got lost once it left there....

For the uninitiated Sadlier started both games
Is he a bot?

Cameron Rowe

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on August 11, 2019, 06:13:06 pm by Cameron Rowe »
We never know what could happen we could go out and sign another winger for all we know. The day before Dieng signed hoden and moore were implying that we could probably expect signings the week after. Then the day before taylor was announced again hoden and moore refused to give anything away. Guarantee there will be more than a striker coming in this week im expecting 3 to 4 more faces before the window closes. Utr

TinyPortal © 2005-2012