Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:24:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus death in Milton Keynes  (Read 4666 times)

Warwickshire Red

• Forum Member
Coronavirus death in Milton Keynes
« on March 06, 2020, 10:11:42 pm by Warwickshire Red »
Coronavirus: Man in 80s is second person to die of virus in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51771815

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus death in Milton Keynes
« Reply #1 on March 06, 2020, 11:46:43 pm by NewDonny »
What's your point?

jonnydog

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 06, 2020, 11:55:28 pm by jonnydog »
In a nut shell...

Nesh

« Reply #3 on March 07, 2020, 12:08:14 am by Nesh »
There was a death in DRI tonight(wasn’t cornovirus for those who are reading the Daily Fail), I’d better not go out tomorrow!!!!!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 07, 2020, 01:28:27 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Funny.

I thought what made it so dangerous was the fact that we have no natural immunity to it, and it appears to kill 1% of the people it infects. But you fill your boots making light of it.

Come back in the autumn and see how hilarious it has been with hindsight.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 07, 2020, 02:58:10 am by DRFC_AjA »
Funny.

I thought what made it so dangerous was the fact that we have no natural immunity to it, and it appears to kill 1% of the people it infects. But you fill your boots making light of it.

Over 600 people a year die from flu in the UK. Perspective. But go panic buy your bog roll because the mirror says we're all doomed

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 07, 2020, 06:47:16 am by adamtherover »
Funny.

Over 600 people a year die from flu in the UK. Perspective. But go panic buy your bog roll because the mirror says we're all doomed
its actually 6600 over the last 12 months,  18 a day!!, every day, usually old people with underlying health issues.  Sound familiar?  But no one panic buying over that?

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 07, 2020, 08:55:24 am by southwestexile »
Perception of risk is a very personal thing which rarely reflects the statistics. Sadly, the media are once again whippping up a frenzy in an effort to sell their rags/maintain audience. And cue the hate crimes against Chinese businesses. It’s about time Murdoch and the other bas**rds were held accountable.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 07, 2020, 09:21:41 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Funny.

its actually 6600 over the last 12 months,  18 a day!!, every day, usually old people with underlying health issues.  Sound familiar?  But no one panic buying over that?

It's very simple. When this thing peaks, we'll be very lucky if there are only that many people (6600) dying every DAY for a two or three weeks.

I just don't understand this flippancy that some people insist on having about this issue. If we don't take steps NOW to stop this thing spreading, that peak is coming in just a few weeks.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:25:23 am by BillyStubbsTears »

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 07, 2020, 09:22:31 am by phil old leake »
People need to put all this in perspective
One of my colleagues is away in Tenerife for a week and managers are talking about not letting him back in the building for two week
Absolute overkill

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 07, 2020, 09:27:17 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Just stop and think.

If this thing wasn't such a big deal, why do you think China has basically shut the country down to control it?

You reckon the papers spooked them over there?

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 07, 2020, 09:31:08 am by adamtherover »
Just stop and think.

If this thing wasn't such a big deal, why do you think China has basically shut the country down to control it?

You reckon the papers spooked them over there?
its.not that shut down, you can get flights in and out of the country!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 07, 2020, 09:42:53 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Internal travel stopped between major cities.

Schools and universities closed.

Fewer than 50% of people at places of work.

Air pollution figures dropped off the bottom of the chart.

People kept in their houses under threat of arrest.

And you reckon us considering cancelling a few football games is massive overkill, but their response is proportionate?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 07, 2020, 09:47:29 am by dickos1 »
The two people who had it in York a few weeks back had been going about their daily business for days before they got diagnosed, yet nobody else has caught this virus.
It’s nonsense to suggest hundreds of thousands of people are going to die,

If it was as serious as that the Cheltenham festival for one wouldn’t be going ahead, well over 500k people there mingling.
It wouldn’t be happening

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on March 07, 2020, 09:49:42 am by southwestexile »
It’s all ok because we’ve got Matt Hancock looking after us........erm.....oh f**k

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 07, 2020, 09:54:20 am by drfchound »
I played golf yesterday.
The member of the course I played at told me that some other members have been on a weeks golfing break in Thailand and those people have been  told not to go to the golf club for three weeks now that they are back.
None of the blokes have any health issues or symptoms of the virus.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 07, 2020, 09:56:38 am by IDM »
Indoor events, trade exhibitions etc all over Europe are being postponed left right and centre.

BST - are the size of the spread and death rates being discussed assuming no further precautions are taken, ie do nothing and let nature take its cause.?  Or are they worst case scenario figures even accounting for preventative measures.?

Is there a forecast based on assumptions of certain precautions.?

I don’t expect you to know, but just a thought.

BBC breakfast this morning commented that many people recover from corornavirus, but that doesn’t get reported for “obvious reasons”.??

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 07, 2020, 09:57:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
The two people who had it in York a few weeks back had been going about their daily business for days before they got diagnosed, yet nobody else has caught this virus.
It’s nonsense to suggest hundreds of thousands of people are going to die,

If it was as serious as that the Cheltenham festival for one wouldn’t be going ahead, well over 500k people there mingling.
It wouldn’t be happening

On the one hand, we have professors of epidemiology talking about 10s of millions of people in the UK catching this virus and a death rate of 1%.

On the other, you have the man who, a couple of weeks ago reckoned Peterborough had nailed down an automatic promotion slot saying that is nonsense.

Choices, choices...who to believe?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 07, 2020, 10:01:33 am by IDM »
I played golf yesterday.
The member of the course I played at told me that some other members have been on a weeks golfing break in Thailand and those people have been  told not to go to the golf club for three weeks now that they are back.
None of the blokes have any health issues or symptoms of the virus.

Not yet.. there is an incubation period for the virus, and it could be passed on before anyone feels ill..

If someone has traveled from a “hot spot” then precautionary measures are understandable.  Not playing golf for a few weeks is hardly a big issue.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 07, 2020, 10:03:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
IDM.

The exact final number of infected cases is very difficult to predict. But we do know that we have no natural immunity, so every one of us is highly susceptible to coming down with this if we do come into contact with it. And the growth rates of infection do appear very aggressive. Epidemiologists talk about typical epidemics having doubling rates of 5 days. In the UK at the moment (and it's small numbers so you can't take this as Gospel) the number of cases are doubling every 2 days. Even in Italy, where they've taken big steps to isolate people, it's doubling every 4 days.

If those rates keep going, you have cases in the millions within 3-6 weeks. And in the absence of drastic measures to slow it down, I don't see any natural break on those rates of increase.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 07, 2020, 10:07:59 am by IDM »
But that’s my point, are those predictions on growth rate based on doing nothing.?

I certainly agree we should be taking precautions..

Rhetorical questions again, but what effect on the growth rate can be gained by better hygiene alone.?  Washing hands and avoiding hand/hand or hand/mouth contact, disposing of tissues etc.?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:27:03 am by IDM »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 07, 2020, 10:13:05 am by BillyStubbsTears »
There's two things IDM.

One is the total number of cases there will be.

The other is how quickly we get to that.

My understanding is that both can be controlled to some extent by reducing contact between people. If we DON'T take serious steps to reduce contact, I'm guessing we end up somewhere around that 80% infection rate that the scientific advisers to the Govt were talking about last week as a reasonable worst case. And we wi get there very quickly.

That's why I think it's inevitable that big restrictions on gatherings are coming in the next few days and weeks.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 07, 2020, 10:25:09 am by wilts rover »
One of the worst things to happen in the UK in recent years was Michae Gove saying we don't need experts. Now everybody is an expert.

These are the actual facts.

The goverments' own 'worst case scenario' is 80% of the country infected with 1% death rate. That is 500 000 people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-news-latest-deaths-uk-infection-flu-a9360271.html

It's effects vary wildley with age or an underlying health condition (like wot I have got) being the biggest determining factor. Most people don't require any special treatment and will recover at home - some may have it and show no symptoms at all.

Worldwide very few people under 50 have died - whilst the death rate of 8% for over 70's and 15% for over 80's.

https://www.livescience.com/is-coronavirus-deadly.html

Enjoy the game if you are going to MK today - and follow the hygenie rules as set out by the CMO this week.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 07, 2020, 10:26:39 am by phil old leake »
Billy Stubbs   If you’re correct what’s your point. If China’s in lock down we don’t live in China

There are so many contradictions it’s ridiculous

My question is how is James Maclean going to cope if you have to sing the national anthem whilst you wash your hands

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 07, 2020, 10:37:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Phil.

I simply don't know how to begin to respond to that.

Maybe we actually deserve what's coming.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 07, 2020, 10:49:32 am by phil old leake »
More important than any of this.  Can we win today and keep ourselves in the play off race

I’m hoping I’ve not put a curse on us I fancy us to win but refuse to bet on us. The wife’s talked me into it as part of an Acca

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 07, 2020, 10:58:19 am by Bentley Bullet »
BST, I think it's your extreme doom and gloom stance on what seems everything British that's the problem. There always seems to be at the very least an underlying political whinge to the points you make. Just imagine if everything you've said in the past had come true. For a start, the lack of bog rolls would have been the very least of our problems with the absence of food on the shelves. 

We're all gonna die anyway, so lets at least try to be happy while we're alive with a bit of positivity.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 07, 2020, 10:59:51 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Like I said. Maybe we deserve it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 07, 2020, 11:06:40 am by Bentley Bullet »
Speak for yourself.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 07, 2020, 11:25:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BB.

The fact that you read posts from me saying we should all be prepared to do what we are advised by the Govt, and conclude from that that there appears to be an "underlying political whinge to the points you make" suggests you're having a problem here.

You then go on to criticise my predictions by raising the issue of what might have happened after a crash out hard Brexit 12 months ago. And you point out that those predictions didn't happen. But you ignore the fact that the crash out hard Brexit didn't happen.

You have a weird obsession with me and what I say. Or, more to the point, what your bizarre caracature of me in your head says. You have this unsettling need to have an argument with someone who doesn't exist. I genuinely worry about you.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012