Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:03:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Doncaster town centre Oldest Pubs  (Read 1878 times)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Doncaster town centre Oldest Pubs
« on July 31, 2020, 06:35:56 pm by Sprotyrover »
I ave been given a copy of the Doncaster Courtier which is basically the minutes of council minutes from 1540 to 1620 ish.
I have been scouring it but not much info on Pubs. Found four so far, The Three Cranes, the Angel, the sign of the Bull and the sign of the White Hart no information about where they were in the Town.
On a side it was a bye law offence for a Butcher to Dress mutton as Lamb! Must have been a common occupancy!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:52:43 pm by Sprotyrover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Doncaster town centre Oldest Pubs
« Reply #1 on July 31, 2020, 07:03:54 pm by drfchound »
That was quite a short meeting sproty, only 40 minutes.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 31, 2020, 07:35:06 pm by Metalmicky »
I wonder how old the White Hart is? - it used to have the tallest bar in England (I think), but I believe they have put steps up to it since I last frequented it...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 31, 2020, 07:44:06 pm by Filo »
I wonder how old the White Hart is? - it used to have the tallest bar in England (I think), but I believe they have put steps up to it since I last frequented it...

White Swann?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on July 31, 2020, 08:18:44 pm by idler »
I ave been given a copy of the Doncaster Courtier which is basically the minutes of council minutes from 1540 to 1620 ish.
I have been scouring it but not much info on Pubs. Found four so far, The Three Cranes, the Angel, the sign of the Buu and the sign of the White no information about where they were in the Town.
On a side it was a bye law offence for a Butcher to Dress mutton as Lamb! Must have been a common occupancy!
My great-grandparents lived on Three Cranes Yard. I think that it ran from Frenchgate to Factory Lane. I think that it was demolished in the 30s.
A part of it might have been behind the where the Beehive was as that was built in 1940.
Beehive coaches and some buses ran fron there in the 60s.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 31, 2020, 08:46:59 pm by turnbull for england »
There was a cracking picture on Facebook today of the thatched house, just down from the corp taps in the 60s under shadow of the high-rise

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 31, 2020, 09:03:21 pm by scawsby steve »
I can remember in the 1950s when I was a kid, Donny was packed with pubs and cinemas.

Understandable really as, apart from football, they were the only real venues of entertainment, compared with today's massive leisure and service industry.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on July 31, 2020, 09:52:50 pm by Dagenham Rover »
There was a cracking picture on Facebook today of the thatched house, just down from the corp taps in the 60s under shadow of the high-rise

Yeh I saw that as well

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 31, 2020, 10:12:51 pm by Metalmicky »

White Swann?

That's right - too many bars....

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 31, 2020, 10:35:56 pm by Sprotyrover »
In 1901 there was a White Hart at 5 Frenchgate

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 31, 2020, 10:51:48 pm by SydneyRover »
I have been scouring it but not much info on Pubs. Found four so far, The Three Cranes, the Angel, the sign of the Buu and the sign of the White no information about where they were in the Town.

These may help you Sprot not sure if the maps available have the detail you need. There seems to be a few siimilar sites online.

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/map/unibern/000995842

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 02, 2020, 08:48:51 am by roversdude »
There’s a brilliant Facebook group run by Tom Beardsley https://www.facebook.com/groups/lookingbackatdoncaster/?ref=share
I’ve learnt so much more about the town I have lived in all my life

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 02, 2020, 09:48:57 am by SydneyRover »
Thanks RD, fb is a brilliant concept but I won't use it until there is some control over the power it wields.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 07, 2020, 05:52:25 pm by Sprotyrover »
My great-grandparents lived on Three Cranes Yard. I think that it ran from Frenchgate to Factory Lane. I think that it was demolished in the 30s.
A part of it might have been behind the where the Beehive was as that was built in 1940.
Beehive coaches and some buses ran fron there in the 60s.
The Three Cranes did Stand at the top of the  three Cranes Yard Yard there is a deed in existence dated 1612.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 07, 2020, 06:34:26 pm by Donnywolf »
This thread appeared in 2013 - plenty to look at here lol

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=241044.0

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 07, 2020, 08:24:18 pm by ravenrover »
That's the one I remember, opposite the old pllice station just up from the Bass pub with the alley way through the middle that went to the old bus station now what was that one called?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 07, 2020, 09:02:27 pm by scawsby steve »
That's the one I remember, opposite the old pllice station just up from the Bass pub with the alley way through the middle that went to the old bus station now what was that one called?

It was the Bay Horse, Raven.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 07, 2020, 09:23:12 pm by ravenrover »
That's the one thanks SS

TinyPortal © 2005-2012