Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 05:04:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sadlier  (Read 25142 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Re: Sadlier
« Reply #60 on August 11, 2020, 04:10:52 pm by phil old leake »
I’m also assuming by going to the championship he could potentially push for an international call up
I think he’s eligible for the republic
If he is he’s got more chance playing in the championship than league 1

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 11, 2020, 04:12:53 pm by StocktonRover »
Easy to spend somebody else’s money isn’t it, EasyforDennis?

Of course it is. Unfortunately most supporters of football clubs expect their clubs to be ambitious, some more than others. Then there are some who are quite happy to plod along and never take any risks. I guess I am in the former and you are in the latter.

Although this is of course, zero risk to you.

I take it you never take any risks in your life?

I pay for a season ticket every year. When I purchase it there is a risk I might not use it. If you want a risk free life, lock all your doors, get everything delivered and never go out of your house again.

Potentially missing the odd game is obviously on a par with borrowing £20 million to build a stadium and funding Championship football ad infinitum.

Please accept my apologies.

So what if I didn't get the opportunity to use my season for any game?
Borrowing £20m at favourable rates to give you a 20k stadium which is worth money is better then having a stadium which is worth nothing.
Look at some of the clubs doing well in the Premiership and championship who own their own grounds and are in towns no bigger than Doncaster and getting relatively small crowds. Don't you aspire to that? Or are you happy plodding along with a mid table league 1 club?
Didn't I read on here that before Covid struck we were at a point where we didn't need the annual funding from the owners? I presume you don't want us to take a financial risk on a potential young player that we could sell on?

Have you passed by Darlington stadium in recent times?
That worked well for them.
Now let's think who would want to buy a football stadium in Darlington?
I didn't see a bidding war for that one and see it now barely used and beginning to deteriorate noticeably.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 11, 2020, 04:56:33 pm by EasyforDennis »

Of course it is. Unfortunately most supporters of football clubs expect their clubs to be ambitious, some more than others. Then there are some who are quite happy to plod along and never take any risks. I guess I am in the former and you are in the latter.

I pay for a season ticket every year. When I purchase it there is a risk I might not use it. If you want a risk free life, lock all your doors, get everything delivered and never go out of your house again.

Potentially missing the odd game is obviously on a par with borrowing £20 million to build a stadium and funding Championship football ad infinitum.

Borrowing £20m at favourable rates to give you a 20k stadium which is worth money is better then having a stadium which is worth nothing.
Look at some of the clubs doing well in the Premiership and championship who own their own grounds and are in towns no bigger than Doncaster and getting relatively small crowds. Don't you aspire to that? Or are you happy plodding along with a mid table league 1 club?
Didn't I read on here that before Covid struck we were at a point where we didn't need the annual funding from the owners? I presume you don't want us to take a financial risk on a potential young player that we could sell on?

I didn't see a bidding war for that one and see it now barely used and beginning to deteriorate noticeably.

Darlington's stadium was an ego trip for an ex jailbird. It is not in a great position either. We could have had a stadium with great motorway connections. Why do you have to come up with a negative? What about the positives or does that not suit your way of thinking? Brighton have grown from being in a similar situation to us and look at them now. Similar with Brentford who are moving to a new stadium next season?

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 11, 2020, 05:22:22 pm by StocktonRover »

Darlington's stadium was an ego trip for an ex jailbird. It is not in a great position either. We could have had a stadium with great motorway connections. Why do you have to come up with a negative? What about the positives or does that not suit your way of thinking? Brighton have grown from being in a similar situation to us and look at them now. Similar with Brentford who are moving to a new stadium next season?

Irrespective of the owner or it's location as an out of town ground (much like ours), it was a gamble that backfired and virtually destroyed the club.

What advantage would we have by funding the building of a ground instead of getting one for what is in effect a peppercorn rent?
Who currently has to meet the maintenance and depreciation costs of our ground?

I just don't understand your angle on why is should have been a risk we should have taken and how it would have put us in a better place and how it would allow us to splurge more cash on players?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 11, 2020, 05:33:55 pm by DearneValleyRover »

I’d like to know who you think would have paid for it?

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 11, 2020, 05:35:38 pm by karldew »
2 year deal at Rotherham

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 11, 2020, 05:36:25 pm by firestarter »
Just seen on Twitter that he’s signed for Rovrum

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 11, 2020, 05:40:39 pm by roversdude »
Good luck to him, still not sure even with points deductions for rivals that they have enough to stop in championship

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 11, 2020, 05:55:39 pm by NickDRFC »
His old man seemed pretty dismissive when Rotherham was mooted as a likely destination, but not all that surprising really. Best of luck to him - would like to see him do well in the Championship (although not sure I’d like him to help them stop up unless we go up ourselves!)

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 11, 2020, 05:58:04 pm by Donnyjim »
2-1 we beat them 👍

stuey

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 11, 2020, 05:59:35 pm by stuey »
W@nker. Of all the teams.....

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 11, 2020, 06:07:50 pm by wilts rover »
Good luck at commuting that from Cambridge every day for training...

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on August 11, 2020, 06:12:55 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
His old man seemed pretty dismissive when Rotherham was mooted as a likely destination, but not all that surprising really. Best of luck to him - would like to see him do well in the Championship (although not sure I’d like him to help them stop up unless we go up ourselves!)

I hope he plays ridiculously woeful for them he ain't with us anymore.

Moved to a higher level though, that's fair enough though I'm sure he'd have fancied a bigger club if available. He's still untested at that level.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 11, 2020, 06:16:29 pm by drfchound »
Good luck at commuting that from Cambridge every day for training...

Yeah, coz Rotherham is soooooo much further away than Donny.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on August 11, 2020, 06:28:02 pm by DearneValleyRover »
Good luck to him, personally I don’t think he has the pace to play the role we had him in but Rovrum might have something different, no complaints he was a great servant to us

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 11, 2020, 06:33:41 pm by drfchound »
He did a tremendous job for us and was worth his place in the team.
Not sure about a lack of pace and even if he did have he overcame it with a series of good performances.
Good luck to him in the higher echelons.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 11, 2020, 06:36:12 pm by selby »
The best of luck to the lad, I hope  he does well.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 11, 2020, 06:42:33 pm by EasyforDennis »

The money would have been loaned from RBS.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 11, 2020, 06:44:40 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Of all the clubs.... Hope he has a nightmare of a season

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 11, 2020, 07:00:28 pm by DearneValleyRover »

By who?

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 11, 2020, 07:06:24 pm by northern soul »
Good luck to the lad.
Kind of like Martin woods in reverse.(hope they let him take pennos, with the same result.)
Frees up some salary under the cap.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 11, 2020, 07:07:21 pm by DearneValleyRover »
He did a tremendous job for us and was worth his place in the team.
Not sure about a lack of pace and even if he did have he overcame it with a series of good performances.
Good luck to him in the higher echelons.
Opinions hound, as I said I hope it works out for him

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 11, 2020, 07:28:58 pm by idler »
Good luck to him and I hope that he does well whoever he plays for. He did his best for us while we were paying his wages so how can anyone begrudge him his move?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on August 11, 2020, 07:41:23 pm by ravenrover »
All the best to him, hope he ties down a starting spot every week

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on August 11, 2020, 07:42:29 pm by IDM »
He’s gone.. good luck to him.

I don’t get the angst for him going to Rotherham.  They may be our rivals as fans, but not his.?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 11, 2020, 07:45:01 pm by EasyforDennis »

By who?

Who do you think? The kit man?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 11, 2020, 08:06:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'm not so much upset at losing Sadlier, because I'm not convinced he's good enough for the Championship, I'm more upset that we can't compete with the likes of local giants Rotherham.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on August 11, 2020, 08:11:29 pm by Chris Black come back »
If he thinks he can make an impression in the Championship, then this is a good move for him. They are shit and odds on to go down. He will though have a decent shot at starting for them I imagine, so will get game time in Championship and if he can impress, then when they inevitably get relegated at end of the season, he only has a year left on his deal so will easily able to get a move to a credible Championship club without weight of long contract around his neck and Rotherham asking for massive money. All of this works of course only if he proves himself in Championship, in what is likely to be the regular whipping boy for most other clubs in that league.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 11, 2020, 08:50:03 pm by DearneValleyRover »

By who?

Who do you think? The kit man?

I’m asking you seeing as you appear to know the answer although I will give you a clue it isn’t John Ryan

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 11, 2020, 09:03:17 pm by selby »
  BB, promotion means they are £6 million + better off to spend, the trick is not to spend the full £6 million and get relegated with big contracted players.
They have just signed Sadlier on a bigger salary than we can afford (quite considerably more) so we can't blame the player for going, we gave him a leg up career wise and he did well for us.
  They will probably sign more of the same plus loanees, They need to stay up this time the salary cap and Covid if it hits the Championship hard with reduced crowds means it will be more difficult for relegated sides next season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012