Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:43:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: NHS Test and Trace App  (Read 15156 times)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
NHS Test and Trace App
« on September 23, 2020, 03:16:54 pm by roverstillidie91 »
https://www.covid19.nhs.uk/

Comes live as of tomorrow so hopefully as many people as possible down load and share if possible then we can get out of this plus get fans back at matches  :bbscarf:

& not forgetting the Covid 19 study through Kings College as well https://covid.joinzoe.com/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:34:08 pm by roverstillidie91 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: NHS Test and Trace App
« Reply #1 on September 23, 2020, 04:37:04 pm by drfchound »
I think I am right in saying that good number of vsc posters have said in the past that they won’t register with this type of thing because they don’t trust the government with their data.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 23, 2020, 04:46:40 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I think I am right in saying that good number of vsc posters have said in the past that they won’t register with this type of thing because they don’t trust the government with their data.

If people have that attitude what is the point in it?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 23, 2020, 05:12:17 pm by IDM »

Not quite correct as far as I can recall.  It would be fairer to say that people may have said there is a concern in society in general about giving up personal data without confidence that it would be safe - rather than individual posters’ views.  Of course there may be some posters who are individually concerned, but I think it’s a wider issue in society than one small messageboard community..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 23, 2020, 05:33:12 pm by drfchound »

Not quite correct as far as I can recall.  It would be fairer to say that people may have said there is a concern in society in general about giving up personal data without confidence that it would be safe - rather than individual posters’ views.  Of course there may be some posters who are individually concerned, but I think it’s a wider issue in society than one small messageboard community..

There were definitely some posters who said they would not trust this government with their data.
It is fair to say though that it is a wider issue in society than in one small message board community because there are far more people in the wider society.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 23, 2020, 05:37:52 pm by EasyforDennis »

There were definitely some posters who said they would not trust this government with their data.
It is fair to say though that it is a wider issue in society than in one small message board community because there are far more people in the wider society.

It is also fair to say that the opinions of some posters on here will be replicated by many in the wider community. The majority of the population do not trust the PM.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 23, 2020, 07:44:05 pm by drfchound »

It is also fair to say that the opinions of some posters on here will be replicated by many in the wider community. The majority of the population do not trust the PM.

In response to the first sentence you wrote there E4D, isn’t that what I said.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 23, 2020, 07:59:39 pm by EasyforDennis »

Apologies Hound I was on a rant.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 23, 2020, 08:03:38 pm by drfchound »

Apologies Hound I was on a rant.

Understandable mate, it happens a lot on here.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 23, 2020, 09:09:20 pm by Not Now Kato »

And herein lies the problem.  Having told so many lies himself and, having supported an open rule breaker and inveterate liar, and then advocating breaking international rules - why should anyone in this country trust him?  As he seems to like proverbs all of a sudden, maybe the Boy That Cried Wolf Once Too Often is appropriate in his case.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:12:26 pm by Not Now Kato »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 23, 2020, 10:41:54 pm by bpoolrover »
Most of the people couldn’t care who is in power that I have seen that won’t register there more bothered if the police get there details

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 24, 2020, 08:46:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Downloaded the new app this morning. My only grumble with it is being Bluetooth based (kills my phone battery typically) but super easy to get, install and setup.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 24, 2020, 08:48:38 am by DonnyOsmond »
Downloaded the new app this morning. My only grumble with it is being Bluetooth based (kills my phone battery typically) but super easy to get, install and setup.

Think Bluetooth is the best way for them to do it though. Should communicate with others as you pass them.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on September 24, 2020, 08:49:50 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Think Bluetooth is the best way for them to do it though. Should communicate with others as you pass them.

Absolutely, no alternative I imagine, worth having though.

As for data security I've got a Chinese phone so I doubt this app is the least of my worries.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 24, 2020, 08:54:08 am by silent majority »
Done.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on September 24, 2020, 10:05:32 am by Filo »
Done.

Will the club be using the QR Code in and around all locations, eg stadium, shops, training ground etc. ?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on September 24, 2020, 10:09:39 am by silent majority »
Done.

Will the club be using the QR Code in and around all locations, eg stadium, shops, training ground etc. ?

I can't see why not. I'll check.

Under the proposals for re-opening of stadiums all clubs had/have to record details of those attending. This is probably a better substitute for that.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 24, 2020, 10:18:45 am by drfchound »
Is a QR code safe and confidential?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on September 24, 2020, 10:28:27 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I've downloaded the app.

Not the most auspicious start for new tech.

Very first thing it asks you to do is to enter the first letter(s) and numbers of your postcode. Like DN12. I do this and it tells me I've entered an incorrect postcode.

Except I haven't. I'm looking at it and it's the right one. So I hit "Enter" again and it tells me it's an incorrect postcode.

After 5 goes I realise I've inadvertently put a space after the number. I delete the space and all is good.

Minor issue but it doesn't bode well for the quality of the app design. If it's not going to accept a space character, why allow you to enter a space character?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on September 24, 2020, 10:36:27 am by Filo »
I’ve downloaded it, all well and good on my iphone8, but will not download to my wifes and Sons iphone6, not very good really, surely the developers could have made it backward compatible

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 24, 2020, 10:42:22 am by Filo »
Done.

I can't see why not. I'll check.

Under the proposals for re-opening of stadiums all clubs had/have to record details of those attending. This is probably a better substitute for that.

In my opinion it would make sense, and another point is would the stadium be covered as a whole or is there some onus on the various organisations that rent office space to generate their own QR code?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on September 24, 2020, 10:44:44 am by Filo »

The app only asks for the first part of your postcode, no other information, I should imagine once you have scanned the QR code and an issue arises within an establishment a push notification is sent to your phone

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 24, 2020, 10:51:15 am by drfchound »
I've downloaded the app.

Very first thing it asks you to do is to enter the first letter(s) and numbers of your postcode. Like DN12. I do this and it tells me I've entered an incorrect postcode.

Except I haven't. I'm looking at it and it's the right one. So I hit "Enter" again and it tells me it's an incorrect postcode.

After 5 goes I realise I've inadvertently put a space after the number. I delete the space and all is good.

Minor issue but it doesn't bode well for the quality of the app design. If it's not going to accept a space character, why allow you to enter a space character?

BST, you can’t seriously blame the APP for your input error.
Anyone should know that you don’t leave a space between the DN and the 12.
If I went to post say, a Hermes parcel, and did the same thing then their system wouldn’t accept the postcode.
Is it any different to missing a letter or a dot out of an email address or putting a space between part of the address.
Come on, you can’t always be right.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 24, 2020, 10:53:44 am by DonnyOsmond »
I’ve downloaded it, all well and good on my iphone8, but will not download to my wifes and Sons iphone6, not very good really, surely the developers could have made it backward compatible

It's bluetooth capability between Google-Apple only the latest IOS can handle apparently. Same with Android in that you need at least Android 6, which using Samsung as an example is anything over Galaxy 5 or older, can use it. It's not much really the app developers could do and Google/Apple didn't know this was gonna happen.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 24, 2020, 10:55:22 am by DonnyOsmond »
I've downloaded the app.

If I went to post say, a Hermes parcel, and did the same thing then their system wouldn’t accept the postcode.
Is it any different to missing a letter or a dot out of an email address or putting a space between part of the address.

Think he's saying he accidentally put in "DN12 " and it wanted "DN12". The space afterwards cocked it up. It's a teething issue which they'll probably address in a future update.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on September 24, 2020, 10:59:16 am by drfchound »

It's bluetooth capability between Google-Apple only the latest IOS can handle apparently. Same with Android in that you need at least Android 6, which using Samsung as an example is anything over Galaxy 5 or older, can use it. It's not much really the app developers could do and Google/Apple didn't know this was gonna happen.

They discussed this on the news this morning DO.
Apparently it is an issue with other T&T systems throughout the world.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on September 24, 2020, 11:04:16 am by drfchound »

The app only asks for the first part of your postcode, no other information, I should imagine once you have scanned the QR code and an issue arises within an establishment a push notification is sent to your phone

Cheers Filo.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 24, 2020, 11:21:17 am by MachoMadness »
Downloaded it. Seems like it has a decent amount of functionality, just hope I don't have to use it much.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on September 24, 2020, 11:29:20 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I've downloaded the app.

Hound.

I didn't. As I clearly said, I put a space AFTER the number.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 24, 2020, 11:34:47 am by DonnyOsmond »

They discussed this on the news this morning DO.
Apparently it is an issue with other T&T systems throughout the world.

I saw a clip of the news where they were having a go at Hancock for it not working on older phones, which is crazy. It's like having a go at Shapps for hoverboards not being rolled out.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012