Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:22:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Will there be a deal with the EU  (Read 5003 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Will there be a deal with the EU
« Reply #60 on November 23, 2020, 10:54:11 am by selby »
  Of course there will be a deal, Even the so called no deal is an agreed deal.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on November 23, 2020, 12:48:02 pm by Axholme Lion »
There will be a deal because BJ is intent on screwing over his new northern voters. Pointless lockdown, check. Ban petrol and diesel cars, check, go brown nosing to the EU, check. Job done.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on November 23, 2020, 03:58:37 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
  Of course there will be a deal, Even the so called no deal is an agreed deal.

You are Donald Trump and I claim my £5.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on November 23, 2020, 06:15:38 pm by wilts rover »
Well 'strong rumours' on t'internet tonight (from the German press) that the German Car Industry ARE about to turn up. And take Nissan away with them to relocate in the EU.

Guess we shall see soon enough if this is true.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on November 24, 2020, 08:03:59 am by Axholme Lion »
Well 'strong rumours' on t'internet tonight (from the German press) that the German Car Industry ARE about to turn up. And take Nissan away with them to relocate in the EU.

Nissan have been garbage since they got into bed with Renault.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on November 24, 2020, 08:21:28 am by DonnyOsmond »

Does that matter? It'd still decimate Sunderland.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on November 24, 2020, 08:22:14 am by DonnyOsmond »
There will be a deal because BJ is intent on screwing over his new northern voters.

Oxymoron?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on November 24, 2020, 08:27:16 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Does that matter? It'd still decimate Sunderland.

Doesn't matter, but is true.  The quality on ours is not particularly good and won't be getting one again.

However, it has been denied by Nissan.  What we must remember is as the clock ticks and a deal (or not) becomes closer, there will be 'stories' in all sorts of areas designed to build pressure in all directions.  Some may well be true, some will not be.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on November 25, 2020, 12:50:39 pm by selby »
  Nobody says Mercedes are rubbish since they use the same engines from Renault Axholme or Dacia.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on November 25, 2020, 01:24:18 pm by Axholme Lion »
  Nobody says Mercedes are rubbish since they use the same engines from Renault Axholme or Dacia.

I can only go on my own experience and I previously had twelve years working for Renault. Each to their own I suppose, I just prefer the reliability of cars made in Japan, however if we all drove the same cars it would be very boring.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on November 26, 2020, 08:25:10 am by Not Now Kato »
There will be a deal because BJ is intent on screwing over his new northern voters. Pointless lockdown, check. Ban petrol and diesel cars, check, go brown nosing to the EU, check. Job done.

He's screwing his traditional voters down south too....

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/brexit-trial-creates-lorry-queue-at-eurotunnel-237992/

No, actually, he's simply enacting the will of the people who voted Leave - after all, they knew what they were voting for didn't they.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's called 'taking back control', isn't it?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on December 01, 2020, 12:34:49 pm by Not Now Kato »
Deal or no deal, it's good to know we're fully prepared....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55137997

....for the chaos leave voters have bestowed upon us!

Still, it seems that all those people with holiday homes in the EU are perfectly happy with what they voted for....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9000815/Furious-British-expats-blast-EUs-new-post-Brexit-travel-rules.html

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on December 01, 2020, 12:46:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Surely that wold be better called, "Operation Smack Your f**king Head Against The Wall."

It's like some badly written comedy script. A modern country, with fantastic infrastructure and transport links to the biggest single economic market in the history of mankind, choosing to put up f**king roadblocks to make it harder to trade with them.

Just take a step back and imagine what this looks like to the rest of the world. They think we have gone batshit.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on December 01, 2020, 02:49:03 pm by Not Now Kato »
But, but, but, what about all those Unicorns BST?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 06, 2020, 05:42:15 pm by wilts rover »
Just posted by Robert Peston on his blog, the government's offical assesment of 'reasonable worst case scenario' if there is No Deal (my guess is it has been 'leaked' to prepare the zealots for Johnson signing up to what he promised he wouldn't, but who knows with that charlatan):

1) Flow rates of medicines and medical products "could initially reduce to 60-80% over three months which, if unmitigated, would impact on the supply of medicines and medical products across the UK".

2) "Protests and counter-protests will take place across the UK and may absorb significant amounts of police resources. There may also be a rise in public disorder and community tensions."

3) "EU and UK fishers could clash over the lost access to historic fishing grounds, and there could be a significant uplift in illegal fishing activities."

4) "Competing demands on UK government and devolved administration maritime agencies and their assets could put [maritime security] enforcement and response capabilities at risk."

5) There will be "reduced [food] supply availability, especially of certain fresh products" and "supply of some critical dependencies for the food supply chain... could be reduced".

6) "Low income groups will be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel."

7) "Border delays, tariffs and new regulatory barriers/costs may result in disruption to supply of critical chemicals used in the UK... leading to the disruption of essential services (such as food, energy, water and medicine). Economic factors could result in some chemicals suppliers reducing operations or closing."

8) "Border delays could affect local fuel disruption. There will not be wider national-level oil shortage."

9) There is a risk of a reduction in the supply of medicines for UK veterinary use which "would reduce our ability to prevent and control disease outbreaks, with potential detrimental impacts for animal health and welfare, the environment, wider food safety/availability and zoonotic disease control which can directly impact human health".

10) "Between 40-70% of trucks travelling to the EU might not be ready for new border controls. This could reduce flow across the short channel crossing to 60-80% of normal levels with maximum queues of 7,000 trucks in Kent and delays of two days. The worst disruption would subside within three months".

11) The transition from "internal security cooperation with the EU" to "non-EU mechanisms" may not be smooth and seamless and may "result in a mutual reduction in capability to tackle crime and terrorism".

12) Around one in 20 local authorities are at risk of financial collapse as a result of higher service demand caused by a disruptive EU exit.

So, higher food and fuel prices, with greater risk of disease and terrorism.

That's as published by the people who lead the Leave Campaign. Still at least we 'took back control'.

Anyone seen the German Car Industry - they are taking their time...

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-06/the-12-reasonable-worst-case-outcomes-if-brexit-talks-collapse

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on December 06, 2020, 06:25:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Wilts.

That was leaked to the Guardian about a fortnight. Peston is doing his usual job of reporting when he is told it is convenient by No10.

It is beyond belief that a UK Govt may choose this as policy. Just beyond belief.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 06, 2020, 07:33:02 pm by Janso »
#ProjectFear m8.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 06, 2020, 08:21:47 pm by normal rules »
Johnson and his govt are screwed either way. The french won’t accept anything other than near total unfettered acres to our waters as anything less will spell disaster for the whole North French coast fishing industry. Macron has also said he would veto anything less.
Theresa May said no deal is better than a bad deal.
Fact is, we simply have no idea how economically damaging no deal will be.
Any negative impact from no deal will be seen by many as a failure of the current uk govt.
So it’s a poison chalice.
Damned if they do, damned if they don’t.
I’ve read reports that the Navy have a fisheries protection fleet that is being bolstered in the event of no deal.
I can see things getting very messy in the waters off our coast. And we know what happens next. Expect blockades by the french at the ports in retaliation.  They may not be the best when it comes to world wars, but they are pretty good at shutting things down.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on December 06, 2020, 08:28:26 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Johnson and his govt are screwed either way. The french won’t accept anything other than near total unfettered acres to our waters as anything less will spell disaster for the whole North French coast fishing industry. Macron has also said he would veto anything less.
Any negative impact from no deal will be seen by many as a failure of the current uk govt.
I’ve read reports that the Navy have a fisheries protection fleet that is being bolstered in the event of no deal.
I can see things getting very messy in the waters off our coast. And we know what happens next. Expect blockades by the french at the ports in retaliation.  They may not be the best when it comes to world wars, but they are pretty good at shutting things down.

Really? Where can the rest of us see this 'fact'?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 06, 2020, 08:30:49 pm by ravenrover »
But Eustace keeps saying it'll be fine!!!!!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 06, 2020, 09:02:07 pm by wilts rover »
Johnson caved in on fish apparently. 5 to 7 year transition period agreed to get new quotas in place.

'Just' level playing field conditions to agree now:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/06/major-breakthrough-on-fishing-rights-brings-brexit-deal-closer?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on December 06, 2020, 09:33:39 pm by normal rules »

Quite simply because it has not happened yet. We cannot predict the financial future, especially something so complex.
My youngest son works for one of the 4 major global finance companies, and they have no models to work to regarding what effect tariffs and quotas will have on the uk and Eu economies. It’s all just best guess. There are just too many variables at work.
Johnson has said our economy will boom under a no deal, but I have not seen a scrap of evidence to back this up.
The whole negotiating charade has gone on too long imho.
Johnson put down a red line date weeks ago. This has come and gone. I’d love to play him at poker. He is a rubbish bluffer.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on December 06, 2020, 10:40:36 pm by drfchound »

Quite simply because it has not happened yet. We cannot predict the financial future, especially something so complex.
My youngest son works for one of the 4 major global finance companies, and they have no models to work to regarding what effect tariffs and quotas will have on the uk and Eu economies. It’s all just best guess. There are just too many variables at work.
Johnson has said our economy will boom under a no deal, but I have not seen a scrap of evidence to back this up.
The whole negotiating charade has gone on too long imho.
Johnson put down a red line date weeks ago. This has come and gone. I’d love to play him at poker. He is a rubbish bluffer.

A very good response there NR.
It will be interesting to see a comeback to that post.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on December 06, 2020, 11:28:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
NR.

I'm sorry, but you are absolutely wrong on that.

I know the likes of Gove have made careers out of telling us not to trust experts, but the fact is that the topic of transnational trade and the effect of tariffs is one of the most widely researched ones in macroeconomics. We CAN have a pretty good idea of what the effect on our economy will be, precisely because there are so many examples of the benefits that economies gain from striking deals which reduce or eliminate tariffs.

There are no studies which predict anything less bad than a 5-10% hit to our GDP if we leave without a deal. That would be a self-inflicted wound of epic proportions, equal to the entire NHS budget lost every year for the foreseeable future.

There is simply no way that we could possibly make that up through deals with other countries, even if such deals were...err...oven ready. Because we do so much of our trade with the EU. The much-trumpeted deal that we have struck with Japan is predicted to increase our GDP by 0.1% - 1/50th of the minimum we will lose by leaving the EU without a deal.

There are reasons why no major economy in decades has EVER pulled out of a tariff-free deal with a major trading partner. In our collective bout of insanity, we have convinced ourselves that we know better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:01:12 am by BillyStubbsTears »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012