Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:29:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 2020 - the year Boris Johnson destroyed public trust  (Read 8658 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
2020 - the year Boris Johnson destroyed public trust
« on January 01, 2021, 04:13:34 pm by wilts rover »
According to focus groups in the 'red wall' Johnson has gone from being among the most popular world leaders - to the least. With public trust in government now at its lowest since the expenses scandal.

How did this happen:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/30/2020-boris-johnson-public-trust-goodwill-barnard-castle

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: 2020 - the year Boris Johnson destroyed public trust
« Reply #1 on January 01, 2021, 06:44:06 pm by drfchound »
According to focus groups in the 'red wall' Johnson has gone from being among the most popular world leaders - to the least. With public trust in government now at its lowest since the expenses scandal.

How did this happen:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/30/2020-boris-johnson-public-trust-goodwill-barnard-castle

You have an untrue statement in that post wilts.
It says that Johnson has gone on to become to the least favourite leader in the World but your link says that he is near the bottom of the least favourite leaders.

Funnily enough though, I don’t recall vsc forum posters to be amongst those who thought he was the most popular leader in the Western World.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:00:09 pm by drfchound »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 01, 2021, 06:45:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
How did it happen? He was Prime Minister for a year.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 01, 2021, 06:52:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It was inevitable.

He's a superb campaigner because that's all about salesmanship.

He's a shit leader because that's all about getting detail right and making hard, unpopular decisions and he's notoriously bad at both of those things.

There was always going to be a rally round the flag effect when the virus first hit, and a personal sympathy for him when he was ill. But those fade when people see botched decision after botched decision, and an appalling lack of judgement in not firing Cummings in May. It leads to an air of incompetence and cronyism and once you have that smell, it's bloody hard to get shut of it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on January 01, 2021, 07:06:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
If the ever so neutral Guardian report is correct and Boris is THAT unpopular in the UK, who knows, it might even mean the Tories are more unelectable than the Labour party!

Good God, if that is true we really are in trouble.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 01, 2021, 07:15:21 pm by wilts rover »

How did this happen:

You have an untrue statement in that post wilts.
It says that Johnson has gone on to become to the least favourite leader in the World but your link says that he is near the bottom of the least favourite leaders.

Funnily enough though, I don’t recall vsc forum posters to be amongst those who thought he was the most popular leader in the Western World.

Yes my post is a short precis of the article intended to get you to read the article. It isn't a statement.

You need to read the article to gather the full information - which is taken from answers provided people in a focus group to the author - and nothing whatsoever to do with me.

I would have thought this is a pretty worrying trend when what the public need most now is trust in government. Clearly some people dont.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 01, 2021, 07:19:54 pm by wilts rover »
If the ever so neutral Guardian report is correct and Boris is THAT unpopular in the UK, who knows, it might even mean the Tories are more unelectable than the Labour party!

Good God, if that is true we really are in trouble.

It's not a report. It's feedback from focus groups in the 'red wall'.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 01, 2021, 07:33:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »
You can call it what you want. I call it one-sided reporting.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 01, 2021, 08:57:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
You can call it what you want. I call it one-sided reporting.

Whose side are Morning Consult on?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 01, 2021, 09:04:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What, in our Lord Jesus Christ has that got to do with it?

The Guardian reported on it because it was a poll that came out in favour of the Labour party. Had it came out in favour of the Tory party they wouldn't have reported on it because it is a lefty biased rag.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 01, 2021, 09:20:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The Guardian reported on it because it was a poll that came out in favour of the Labour party. Had it came out in favour of the Tory party they wouldn't have reported on it because it is a lefty biased rag.

The Morning Consult poll referred to in the article wasn't. If you can't grasp that simple piece of information, what in Our Lord Jesus Christ are you getting your knickers in a twist for? The only one looking one-sided is you. Have you even bothered looking at the link at all because you don't appear to have.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 01, 2021, 09:29:42 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Who the f**k said it was? YOU mentioned the Morning Consult!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 01, 2021, 09:31:12 pm by SydneyRover »

Which poll didn't they publish which so offended you bb?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 01, 2021, 09:35:36 pm by normal rules »
Slightly off the topic of the PM, but I think the MSM, on the whole, have done a pretty good job in destroying public trust.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 01, 2021, 09:41:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Difficult to know which is the more depressing possibility.

The thought that BB actually believes this nonsense, or the thought that he doesn't.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 01, 2021, 09:55:11 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST, don't be silly, I don't believe any of the nonsense Wilts says!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 01, 2021, 10:05:18 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Who the f**k said it was? YOU mentioned the Morning Consult!

Why did you say the Morning Consult poll was in favour of the Labour Party when it was nothing of the sort??

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 01, 2021, 10:10:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Where did I say that?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 01, 2021, 10:18:42 pm by wilts rover »
BST, don't be silly, I don't believe any of the nonsense Wilts says!

That's very wise.

However if you don't believe what members of the public are telling the organister of a focus group at various point throughout the year because of what newspaper it is printed in - thats weird.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 01, 2021, 10:20:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Where did I say I don't believe it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 01, 2021, 10:22:06 pm by SydneyRover »
Got set of hair splitters for xmas again bb?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 01, 2021, 10:28:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »
As it happens........ I haven't quite managed to split fanny hairs with them yet, though.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 02, 2021, 12:32:11 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Where did I say that?

The Guardian reported on it because it was a poll that came out in favour of the Labour party.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 02, 2021, 08:35:29 am by Bentley Bullet »
Where did I mention Morning Call? I was referring to focus groups in the 'red wall', as was Wilts.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 02, 2021, 01:44:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Where did I mention Morning Call? I was referring to focus groups in the 'red wall', as was Wilts.

Then you should have said that you were talking about focus groups and not talking about polls, making a pillock of yourself, no?

And you still haven't said what side you think the Morning Consult poll was taking in the article you say is one-sided. If you don't clarify that then you saying a poll that says Boris is the most popular leader being reported by the Guardian only because it favours Labour makes you look like an even bigger pillock, no?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 01:59:28 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 02, 2021, 01:46:34 pm by River Don »
School unions telling teachers not to work in an unsafe environment and headteachers saying they won't discipline teachers for not going into work.

So a school strike now to top things off.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 02, 2021, 01:51:35 pm by Filo »
School unions telling teachers not to work in an unsafe environment and headteachers saying they won't discipline teachers for not going into work.

So a school strike now to top things off.

That will suit the Govt and local Govts, no pay in a strike, you just wonder if that is what they are after. The other important point is will Teachers be covered by the Health and Safety act should they be forced to work where their health is put at a inow risk

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 02, 2021, 01:56:13 pm by River Don »
There are emergency meetings going on now. Teachers lawyers are demanding evidence that opening schools is safe.

I suspect the government will cave and at least announce a postponement to the beginning of term.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 02, 2021, 02:00:15 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Then you should have said that you were talking about focus groups and not talk about polls making a pillock of yourself, no?

And you still haven't said what side you think the Morning Consult poll was taking in the article you say is one-sided. If you don't clarify that then you saying a poll that says Boris is the most popular leader being reported by the Guardian only because it favours Labour makes you look like an even bigger pillock, no?

What I should have said is my post is aimed at people who have a reasonable understanding of the English language, and therefore not suitable for the Mr Wiggerly's of this world.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 02, 2021, 02:17:45 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Humpty Bentley has spoken! "When I use a word," Humpty Bentley said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

TinyPortal © 2005-2012