Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:06:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: These two new players  (Read 8957 times)

ian1980

• Forum Member
These two new players
« on January 23, 2021, 08:17:12 pm by ian1980 »
After today’s game it’s pretty clear how thread bare the squad currently is.

You really have very little chance to keep winning games when you have six defenders in your starting eleven (inc 4 centre backs making up your back line)

Not only are we having to play players out of position but fatigue will really start to take effect with how quickly the games are coming now.

I’ve no idea how close we are to getting these two players in but the sooner the better to hopefully keep out league form going.

If it’s two midfielders, which is suspect it will be, what do you do with the defence.

For a long time Anderson and Wright were rock solid at the back. Along with Halliday and James we didn’t concede many at all so that’s what I’d go back to.

How about you?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Re: These two new players
« Reply #1 on January 23, 2021, 08:43:36 pm by andyst79 »
No would keep with Butler and leave James in midfield. Since Butler came back we've had a run of good results and he's a great organizer. We're also finding ways to win matches without Copps in the side which is massive for us, he's been a great player over the years and hugely influential and still is but up until this season , when he's not played we've struggled to get results.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 23, 2021, 08:44:19 pm by craigdrfc »
For me its quite simple. If the squad isn't bolstered, with quantity and a reasonable level of quality, then I suspect we will become a mid table finish in a season where we could have been an automatic promotion.

This is not a criticism of the Owners, the Gaffer, Gavin etc etc. Its just the situation we have found ourselves in with injuries, departures, one or two signings maybe not working out as planned etc.

I hope, and trust, the powers that be will take the necessary steps. If they don't then I would fully understand given the current climate, and would look forward to another tilt at it next season.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:46:45 pm by craigdrfc »

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 23, 2021, 09:12:23 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
I’m not a fan for 4 centre backs in defence but it has kind of worked to be fair and there isn’t much in the way of options to change that. Hopefully this will change.

Bigger worry for me is centre forward. In this league playing the 4 centre half’s makes us very hard to beat but if we struggle to nick goals it’s wasted. We can probably maintain playoffs by been difficult to beat and grinding games out like we have if we get a goal scorer

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 23, 2021, 09:14:49 pm by drfchound »
The strange thing is though that Fej is our top scorer and he has as many goal as the top scorer at Man City (if the numbers given on the bbc are correct)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 23, 2021, 09:17:40 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He’s going to need help though. I’m not suggesting replacing him but with JJ out for the foreseeable it’s just Fej up there. We saw before how his performances dropped without refreshing it up top. After JJ came back and Fej’s form picked up

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 23, 2021, 09:24:52 pm by drfchound »
I haven’t disagreed with you sedward, I was just making an observation.
I agree that we could do with another forward coming in.

northern soul

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 23, 2021, 09:27:40 pm by northern soul »
I would hope the 2 coming would be a forward and a midfielder. They're the pressing needs at the minute.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 23, 2021, 09:33:53 pm by Retdon1 »
I would go back to our strongest back four... Halliday, Wright, Anderson, James...
Butler and John will still be needed at various times in the run in but when available, play your best players and team

Big Fey

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on January 23, 2021, 10:14:52 pm by Big Fey »
I’m not a fan for 4 centre backs in defence but it has kind of worked to be fair and there isn’t much in the way of options to change that. Hopefully this will change.
So we had no choice to play the 4 at the back?,   so halliday at full back and Richards starting wasn't an option?   Or James at full back and simoiesh starting wasn't an option?

We could have lined up better than we did today..   We didn't,  and lost heavy.

We move on to Tuesday.. Hopefully lessons have been learnt.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 23, 2021, 11:03:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Why drop Butler? Our defence has been better with him in it.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 23, 2021, 11:23:20 pm by StocksArmy »
Cant drop Butler. Today is his only poor performance since he has come back. We are desperate to replace JJ more than we are Whiteman. Fej cant do the job of a lone striker imo. He seems to get into battles with centre halves that he doesnt need to and never wins. Hes a much better footballer than that. It suits him more moving in from a wide area as you see Aubameyang play.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:41:03 pm by StocksArmy »

essexrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 24, 2021, 08:52:05 am by essexrover »
I know it's been mentioned many times before, but John isn't a left back. If we're keeping James in midfield I'd play Amos at left back.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 24, 2021, 09:02:04 am by silent majority »
I would hope the 2 coming would be a forward and a midfielder. They're the pressing needs at the minute.

That's what they are.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 24, 2021, 09:14:38 am by EasyforDennis »

That's what they are.

Do you know if they might be signed by Tuesday?

WhitstabubbleKen

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 24, 2021, 09:25:33 am by WhitstabubbleKen »
John was out of position for two of the goals yesterday. He’s still not a left back.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 24, 2021, 09:32:42 am by selby »
  A bit of over reaction and over analysing going off at the moment I feel, the two form sides over the last month in our division, ourselves and Portsmouth both lost 4-0.
  We were somewhat expectantly outclassed both tactically and player ability wise. Portsmouth however were heavily defeated by a side playing at the same level.
   Yes we could do with a couple to strengthen an already very good squad of players, but we have not become a poor side at our level over night, we were outclassed by a side of the quality we will not meet again this season, who played close to their maximum ability on the day, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, Cheltenham are collecting all the kudos this morning, reality is they were blown away in ten minutes and hardly touched the ball in those closing minutes. 

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 24, 2021, 09:39:31 am by silent majority »

That's what they are.

The club are hoping to get the deals done tomorrow, but you need to allow for last minute hitches, it happens all the time.

I doubt DM would play either of them straight away.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 24, 2021, 09:42:19 am by Alan Southstand »
We were somewhat expectantly outclassed both tactically and player ability wise. Portsmouth however were heavily defeated by a side playing at the same level.

Also, I don’t know if anyone noticed yesterday, but Peterborough won 1-0 at Ipswich without having a single shot on target!

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 24, 2021, 09:56:33 am by EasyforDennis »

That's what they are.

The club are hoping to get the deals done tomorrow, but you need to allow for last minute hitches, it happens all the time.

I doubt DM would play either of them straight away.

It might sooth the nerves of one or two though  :woohoo: :woohoo:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 24, 2021, 10:14:43 am by idler »

Also, I don’t know if anyone noticed yesterday, but Peterborough won 1-0 at Ipswich without having a single shot on target!
I saw that Alan. They all count though and be nice if we could do the same to them.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 24, 2021, 10:28:59 am by BigH »
John was out of position for two of the goals yesterday. He’s still not a left back.
I rate DM and think he has many admirable qualities for a football manager but I do think that believing CJ is a left back is a blind spot for him. Ruthlessly exploited yesterday.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 24, 2021, 11:27:31 am by i_ateallthepies »
I rate DM and think he has many admirable qualities for a football manager but I do think that believing CJ is a left back is a blind spot for him. Ruthlessly exploited yesterday.

Do you really suppose you're giving enlightenment to DM?  Yes CJ was ruthlessly exposed today... by a team of multi-million pound players.  DM has clearly decided that CJ is a good enough footballer at LG1 level to play left back and do it to a good enough standard, and I suggest results show him to be making the correct call.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 24, 2021, 11:43:54 am by donnievic »
All this about CJ not being a left bank and yes he isn’t great there but James has been superb further up the field and as much a I like Amos he got murdered in the 2nd round against a tricky winger so not sure he would of done any better,notice it has all been quiet about him playing there over last 8 or so games when we been winning including the win at Blackburn.we just got beat by a decent premier league team

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 24, 2021, 12:34:43 pm by BigH »

Do you really suppose you're giving enlightenment to DM?  Yes CJ was ruthlessly exposed today... by a team of multi-million pound players.  DM has clearly decided that CJ is a good enough footballer at LG1 level to play left back and do it to a good enough standard, and I suggest results show him to be making the correct call.
Er, no. HTF could I give enlightenment to a professional football manager? But thank you for your enlightenment!

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 24, 2021, 01:37:36 pm by bedale rover »
I know it's been mentioned many times before, but John isn't a left back. If we're keeping James in midfield I'd play Amos at left back.

Amos is too slow

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 24, 2021, 01:46:19 pm by Draytonian III »
Amos would be better playing wide left midfield

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 24, 2021, 02:13:27 pm by steve@dcfd »
Amos is better on the bench as a squad player. Along with two or three more that are playing regular.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 25, 2021, 11:32:09 am by Filo »
Deadline to play tomorrow half hour away

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 25, 2021, 11:56:51 am by anton123 »
4 mins to go , some 1 take the lid off the pen lol

TinyPortal © 2005-2012