Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:12:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: An electric vehicle that looks like the future  (Read 17797 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re: An electric vehicle that looks like the future
« Reply #30 on January 29, 2021, 08:19:42 am by RobTheRover »
Electric vehicles have incredible torque.  Get the battery, range, drain, recharge equation more refined and I see no reason not to have towing capability.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 29, 2021, 08:21:08 am by drfchound »
The Caravan Club are constantly speaking with the government and motor industry about the future of cars that will be suitable for towing.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 29, 2021, 09:24:07 am by Axholme Lion »
Towing things isn't a strong point for any electric car.

Getting caravans off the road would be considered a bonus by many though.

Caravans are not everyone’s cup of tea, I get that. Mine is tiny (Eriba) seen by many as the Vw camper of caravans. Happily tow it at normal road speeds so don’t hold up traffic. With covid, sales of caravans have gone through the roof. Staycations will be a lot more like the new normal and camping contributes huge sums to the national economy.
Electric cars will dessimate this industry.

Surely "they" will develop ever - smaller - more powerful - beefy batteries which will be able to cope with a Caravan though ?

I mean if Amazon are trumpetting a fleet of all electric vans surely the next logical step will be electric Lorries which will need power and lots of it. Planes are also touted as being all electric so once the batteries get better and better towing a Cara or having an electric Motorhome will be commonplace wont it ?

I am still envisaging although it may be well into the future something I saw in Vietnam (on telly of course) where there are multi thousand electric motor bikes / scooters. They pay a standard rate for "power" for them but instead of charging they call at a Battery exchange place. Pull up - exchange battery - and drive off. Of course the batteries are small and clean and easily handled but last for 100 miles or so

Once the outgoing one is back in the bank" it is charged ready for the next customer coming along although they had maybe 300 in the "bank". I then thought wow how good to have such a system for cars with a series of suck banks all over the country. It needs the techno to catch up but weve come this far - surely we will develop even more till we have tiny batteries in comparison to what they are now but more powerful

Battery swap is the only way electric cars will be feasible for most people. Breaking up a journey with an hour for a recharge is not practical.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 29, 2021, 09:28:07 am by dknward2 »
Electric cars that are capable of towing will come, maybe even caravans will be fitted with a small electric motor that can assist.

Battery technology is coming on leaps and bounds. bp, damiler (MB) and some others are working and investing in tech that can recharge a battery within 5 mins.

The new Skoda enyaq and VW id4 both SUV are being released this year as is the merc eqa the merc has an option to tow 750kg how that will effect range is currently unknown but even if it makes out at 150 miles at motorway speeds that's almost 3 hours of driving the recommended break time by the highway code

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 29, 2021, 09:36:09 am by dknward2 »
Battery swap works well in China have a look at a company called nio they have stations that change a battery within 6mins most of their cars do 300 miles nedc so 250 real world as nedc is very unrealistic

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 29, 2021, 09:53:33 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
If you can get batteries with 300+ mile range and a faster charge time like Tesla are claiming then the future will embrace these quickly. They just need to make them affordable and many will move.

I full expect my next one to be full electric.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 29, 2021, 10:35:15 am by River Don »
Battery swap works well in China have a look at a company called nio they have stations that change a battery within 6mins most of their cars do 300 miles nedc so 250 real world as nedc is very unrealistic

The vehicle I posted the link to at the start of this thread has swappable batteries. It's not a bad solution to the problem of charging but it will require a lot of stations all over the country to make it practical.

I'd hope they have a standard format battery for these kinds of vehicles too. It'd be a nightmare if every manufacture has their own system.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:41:55 am by River Don »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 29, 2021, 10:36:35 am by dknward2 »
I'm waiting for either the Tesla cybertruck or VW space vizzion whichever comes 1st to replace my 10 year old be Passat diesel

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 29, 2021, 10:40:34 am by dknward2 »

The vehicle I posted the link to at the start of this thread has swappable batteries. It's not a bad solution to the problem of charging but it will require a lot of stations all over the country to make it practice.

I'd hope they have a standard format battery for these kinds of vehicles too. It'd be a nightmare if every manufacture has their own system.

RD nio is a very cool solution the swap station can be built anywhere as the only connection is to plug into the grid and if it isn't being used then it can be moved.

Nio has different pack sizes so if you want a longer range you can upgrade to a bigger one and then lower back say when you finish on holiday say

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on January 29, 2021, 10:52:05 am by River Don »
Nio.com

A fairly standard looking car, it even has a radiator, which electric cars don't need.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 29, 2021, 11:30:14 am by Axholme Lion »
Nio.com

A fairly standard looking car, it even has a radiator, which electric cars don't need.

Actually they do need a cooling system. I've just been looking at one this morning. It was a full electric plug in car. It needs the cooling for the batteries etc.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on January 29, 2021, 01:34:03 pm by ravenrover »

Caravans are not everyone’s cup of tea, I get that. Mine is tiny (Eriba) seen by many as the Vw camper of caravans. Happily tow it at normal road speeds so don’t hold up traffic. With covid, sales of caravans have gone through the roof. Staycations will be a lot more like the new normal and camping contributes huge sums to the national economy.
2 of us then NR, we have a Troll530 perfect for the 2 of us. Are you on the Eribafolk forum?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on January 29, 2021, 09:02:41 pm by normal rules »
I’ve no doubt tech will bring more powerful batteries in time with range and torque to tow. At present though, it’s a Tesla 3.price wise, that’s a no from me.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 29, 2021, 09:04:14 pm by normal rules »

2 of us then NR, we have a Troll530 perfect for the 2 of us. Are you on the Eribafolk forum?

Yep. Been on eribafolk a while. Triton 430GT. An absolute gem.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 31, 2021, 09:03:17 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
I'm waiting for either the Tesla cybertruck or VW space vizzion whichever comes 1st to replace my 10 year old be Passat diesel

Cybertruck is due May 2022 by all accounts. Available to order through some leasing companies!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on January 31, 2021, 11:57:28 am by dknward2 »

Cybertruck is due May 2022 by all accounts. Available to order through some leasing companies!

Got deposit on mine

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on February 01, 2021, 01:10:16 pm by albie »
Review of upcoming electric cars, for those interested:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars-vans/354175/future-electric-cars-new-evs-due-2021-and-beyond

Rapidly moving forward now!

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on February 01, 2021, 01:48:09 pm by Metalmicky »
This site may be of use to some who want to compare ranges/prices/charging options etc...... just change the tabs at top of the page.

https://ev-database.uk/car/1408/Tesla-Model-X-Plaid

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 01, 2021, 09:56:42 pm by dknward2 »
Fyi VW id4 can tow 1000kg 1st edition models are priced at £37,000 after the grant

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 02, 2021, 10:11:07 am by Axholme Lion »
Fyi VW id4 can tow 1000kg 1st edition models are priced at £37,000 after the grant

A bargain then. I'll bet they'll be flying off the shelves.
You can buy a Subaru Forester Hybrid for that price. A car which will do 300k miles and last twenty years.

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on February 02, 2021, 10:45:37 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

A bargain then. I'll bet they'll be flying off the shelves.
You can buy a Subaru Forester Hybrid for that price. A car which will do 300k miles and last twenty years.

For a company car driver they are incredible value. A lot of people take cars through companies.

Wouldn't buy one at full price but I'd say that for any new car.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 02, 2021, 11:25:48 am by Monkcaster_Rover »

Got deposit on mine

Happy days. They appear to be marmite but I think they look cool as f**k. Remind of the cruisers out of Aliens. Look forward to seeing them on the road.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 02, 2021, 06:07:08 pm by dknward2 »

Got deposit on mine

Happy days. They appear to be marmite but I think they look cool as f**k. Remind of the cruisers out of Aliens. Look forward to seeing them on the road.

Fingers crossed people will get to see it in the keepmoat car park at home matches

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on February 02, 2021, 06:22:29 pm by godlike1 »

Is that how everyone still does the company car thing now? I've got my first car allowance starting soon when I join my new company and have been weighing up leasing against pcp

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on February 03, 2021, 12:41:38 pm by Axholme Lion »

Is that how everyone still does the company car thing now? I've got my first car allowance starting soon when I join my new company and have been weighing up leasing against pcp

Why not just buy a good quality car and keep it for a long time?

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on February 03, 2021, 01:12:10 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »

I believe so! Comes down to the user & financial stability really. Could just buy older outright like AL says. Whether you want a brand spanking new reg for a competitive price really.

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on February 03, 2021, 01:18:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Why not just buy a good quality car and keep it for a long time?

Potentially on the right vehicle you can have a car for next to no cost.  In a previous job I had an Audi that cost me based on the BIK and tax rate at that point £60 a month in tax with no other cost.  That included tax, all maintenance and insurance.  I wouldn't have even got insurance for that at the age I was (Mid 20s).  It's much less risk free in some ways, particularly if you're not that fussed about the car you want.  They can be very beneficial.  EG currently and electric vehicle costs £0 on BIK so it's effectively free unless an allowance is sacrificed.  No brainer really.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on April 07, 2021, 12:04:14 pm by SydneyRover »
''Fossil fuel cars make 'hundreds of times' more waste than electric cars. Analysis by transport group says battery electric vehicles are superior to their petrol and diesel counterparts''

''Fossil fuel cars waste hundreds of times more raw material than their battery electric equivalents, according to a study that adds to evidence that the move away from petrol and diesel cars will bring large net environmental benefits.

Only about 30kg of raw material will be lost over the lifecycle of a lithium ion battery used in electric cars once recycling is taken into account, compared with 17,000 litres of oil, according to analysis by Transport & Environment (T&E) seen by the Guardian''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/01/fossil-fuel-cars-make-hundreds-of-times-more-waste-than-electric-cars

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on April 07, 2021, 12:56:18 pm by River Don »
Canoo electric pick up. Coming soon.

https://www.canoo.com/pickup/

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on April 07, 2021, 01:38:04 pm by drfchound »
That is a horrible looking vehicle RD.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012