Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:02:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: An electric vehicle that looks like the future  (Read 17774 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Re: An electric vehicle that looks like the future
« Reply #90 on July 28, 2021, 11:18:09 am by Axholme Lion »
This is a good idea

''UK government backs scheme for motorway cables to power lorries
E-highway study given £2m to draw up plans for overhead electric cables on motorway near Scunthorpe''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/27/uk-government-backs-scheme-for-motorway-cables-to-power-lorries

An even bigger eyesore than the wind turbines which seldom seem to turn. IMO it's all a waste of time and money. In fifty years time everyone will be brown bread in any case.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 28, 2021, 11:19:41 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
You might be but I won't!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on July 28, 2021, 12:55:00 pm by Axholme Lion »

Do you think the human race will still be here in fifty years time?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 28, 2021, 01:44:53 pm by drfchound »
Yeah, I saw Waterworld on the telly.
It might be a bit different to what we know now but maybe Covid will have gone so it should be ok.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 30, 2021, 02:42:58 pm by River Don »
Might as well put this in this thread too.

I hadn't realised Volvo have launched a new electric car brand.

https://www.polestar.com/uk/

chrisfisher

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 30, 2021, 02:49:09 pm by chrisfisher »

Do you think the human race will still be here in fifty years time?

Of course we will.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on July 30, 2021, 06:42:37 pm by ravenrover »
I wont

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on July 30, 2021, 09:47:51 pm by mushRTID »
I got my BMW 330e hybrid about 6 weeks ago.

A welcome difference in my pay packet being a company car.

Love the car albeit not a lot of boot space.

But I feel like I’m filling it up every week as I’m not in a position at home to charge it. So the fuel does go quickly with no electric charge on it.

Just wondering if anybody can recommend an installer of an EV point please?

I’m pretty sure the cost of it will easily be covered over the next few months based on the fuel I’m currently putting in it.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on July 30, 2021, 11:06:44 pm by albie »
Ask your leccy company, Mush.

Terms vary, but they want you to have a charger at home as it means they sell the juice, not another supplier at Tesco or wherever.

Of course, solar panels on a south facing roof means the best of both worlds!

albie

• Forum Member

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on August 21, 2021, 01:56:28 am by SydneyRover »
''Millions of electric car batteries will retire in the next decade. What happens to them?''

''By one estimate, more than 12m tons of lithium-ion batteries are expected to retire between now and 2030.

Not only do these batteries require large amounts of raw materials, including lithium, nickel and cobalt – mining for which has climate, environmental and human rights impacts – they also threaten to leave a mountain of electronic waste as they reach the end of their lives.

As the automotive industry starts to transform, experts say now is the time to plan for what happens to batteries at the end of their lives, to reduce reliance on mining and keep materials in circulation''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/20/electric-car-batteries-what-happens-to-them

We should not impede progress away from fossil fuel use although the political will needs to be there.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on August 21, 2021, 02:21:22 am by SydneyRover »

But I feel like I’m filling it up every week as I’m not in a position at home to charge it. So the fuel does go quickly with no electric charge on it.

I’m pretty sure the cost of it will easily be covered over the next few months based on the fuel I’m currently putting in it.

Hey Mush, did you get a charger installed and were you able to use any of the government or did BMW have offers and discounts?

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on August 21, 2021, 07:18:00 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I've got a podpoint charger 7kw version.  Installation was excellent and very tidy.  My employer paid for mine, however that's with a grant which podpoint sort out with you anyway.  Well worth doing.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on August 21, 2021, 08:31:40 am by SydneyRover »
It make me feel I'm living in Bedrock reading all about the incentives to get with the future.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 21, 2021, 09:20:14 am by normal rules »
''Millions of electric car batteries will retire in the next decade. What happens to them?''

''By one estimate, more than 12m tons of lithium-ion batteries are expected to retire between now and 2030.

Not only do these batteries require large amounts of raw materials, including lithium, nickel and cobalt – mining for which has climate, environmental and human rights impacts – they also threaten to leave a mountain of electronic waste as they reach the end of their lives.

As the automotive industry starts to transform, experts say now is the time to plan for what happens to batteries at the end of their lives, to reduce reliance on mining and keep materials in circulation''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/20/electric-car-batteries-what-happens-to-them

We should not impede progress away from fossil fuel use although the political will needs to be there.

They will end up in landfill.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on August 21, 2021, 09:35:32 am by SydneyRover »

They will end up in landfill.

So not much different from what we're doing now?

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on August 21, 2021, 02:36:42 pm by dknward2 »
Not at all most will get recycled as at the minute 97% of a battery can be recycled some will be used as home storage, so people with solar panels can put it in battery rather than selling it back to the grid.

Can also be used in areas with poor electrical connections I.e axholme where they get regular blackouts

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on August 21, 2021, 03:59:43 pm by albie »
It is illegal to put these batteries into landfill, so that is nonsense.

They are worth a lot for alternative uses, or recycled for materials after a lifespan of 20 years or so.
The batteries will outlast the vehicle lifespan.

Alternatives to cobalt for cathodes will be mass produced in the near term, and other chemistries are in preparation;
https://techxplore.com/news/2021-08-scientists-technology-sustainable-next-generation-batteries.html

In the longer term, solid state batteries will be the norm;
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2021/08/solid-state-batteries-under-development-with-oxford-university-led-consortium/

Sorry if this will disappoint some, but technology moves forward!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on August 21, 2021, 06:25:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Not at all most will get recycled as at the minute 97% of a battery can be recycled some will be used as home storage, so people with solar panels can put it in battery rather than selling it back to the grid.

Can also be used in areas with poor electrical connections I.e axholme where they get regular blackouts

There's a punchline here but it's...it's...

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on August 22, 2021, 10:25:46 am by normal rules »
So we ban the sale of new new fossil fuel cars in a few years.
What about the 1.36 billion people in India who ride around on two stroke motors all the time.what are they doing?
Im not hearing any news from India about them banning fossil fuels?
We will be a drop in the ocean in comparison to these countries.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on August 22, 2021, 11:36:22 am by SydneyRover »
So we ban the sale of new new fossil fuel cars in a few years.
What about the 1.36 billion people in India who ride around on two stroke motors all the time.what are they doing?
Im not hearing any news from India about them banning fossil fuels?
We will be a drop in the ocean in comparison to these countries.

And you're hardly likely to on a thread about electric cars, the thread about climate change is over there >>>>>

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on August 22, 2021, 12:29:00 pm by mushRTID »

Hey Mush, did you get a charger installed and were you able to use any of the government or did BMW have offers and discounts?

I dithered a little bit but have gone with podpoint as it looks like bfyp has.

Had my Olev grant details approved on Friday and just waiting for the call about installation.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on August 22, 2021, 01:06:36 pm by SydneyRover »
Thanks Mush, I push pollies here for action on many subjects and it's all good info.

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on August 22, 2021, 01:31:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Had my Olev grant details approved on Friday and just waiting for the call about installation.

They were in touch within a few days and installed a few days later. Took about 3 hours or so as they have to connect to the mains directly and turn electric off etc.  Works very well.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on August 22, 2021, 04:41:57 pm by mushRTID »

They were in touch within a few days and installed a few days later. Took about 3 hours or so as they have to connect to the mains directly and turn electric off etc.  Works very well.

Sounds good. Do you use their app? Is it needed/useful?

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on August 22, 2021, 08:32:48 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I have it, but it's only really useful in their external chargers eg Tesco, they're handy if you're about anywhere and stopping anywhere and free too.

The app is better if full electric as then a tarrif at home for cheaper off peak electric is the way forward and the app allows the charge to be scheduled. But with the size of a hybrid battery it's not needed.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on August 23, 2021, 10:36:49 am by Axholme Lion »

There's a punchline here but it's...it's...

Arrggghhhh!!!!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on August 26, 2021, 06:47:17 pm by mushRTID »

Installed today, only took 2 hours or so.
Please with it, not as bulky as I feared looking at the pictures online, looks neat and tidy.

Charged up, took around 2.5 hours (hybrid, not a full electric).

Very happy with it. I’m looking forward to saving money on fuel!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on January 04, 2022, 02:54:02 pm by albie »
Latest Mercedes model looking at 620 miles per charge, with solar to be added to the roof.
Vid here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt_c3gaO32g

That is the way the electric sector is moving.
Once solid state batteries are adopted at scale, we are in another transport economy.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on January 04, 2022, 03:35:16 pm by Axholme Lion »

Installed today, only took 2 hours or so.
Please with it, not as bulky as I feared looking at the pictures online, looks neat and tidy.

Charged up, took around 2.5 hours (hybrid, not a full electric).

Very happy with it. I’m looking forward to saving money on fuel!

Did they have to go inside your house to do any work?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012