Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:34:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Voter ID  (Read 6551 times)

albie

• Forum Member
Voter ID
« on May 10, 2021, 02:14:29 pm by albie »
Word on the street is that Bozo is about to introduce the need for ID at polling stations, either a passport or Driving Licence.

Trouble is some estimate about 25% of people do not have either!
The number of offences of voter fraud last time was 2.

Good idea, or not?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:35:43 pm by albie »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Voter ID
« Reply #1 on May 10, 2021, 02:19:13 pm by SydneyRover »
Definitely not for me, there is little evidence of voter fraud. It's just a way to stop those you don't want voting from voting, we did discuss this recently on another thread. He probably got the idea from the US.

''595 cases of alleged electoral fraud were investigated by the police. Of these, four led to a conviction and two individuals were given a police caution..

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/electoral-fraud-data/2019-electoral-fraud-data

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on May 10, 2021, 03:09:31 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
They should have made ID compulsory.  It surprised me that so many supposedly don't carry ID.  I wouldn't have been able to buy alcohol for the past 15 years without it.

I have said a number of times that I could turn up at a polling station and say my name is .... Without any check is crazy.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 10, 2021, 03:25:48 pm by Metalmicky »
I agree - some form of ID should be asked for - even if it is just a couple of bills proving their house address.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on May 10, 2021, 03:40:10 pm by wilts rover »
I agree - some form of ID should be asked for - even if it is just a couple of bills proving their house address.

So should they stop postal votes - where clearly you cannot provide any other form of ID then the form you are filling in?

If so - how long in advance should an election be called to ensure people are at home on that day?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 10, 2021, 03:54:36 pm by drfchound »
Word on the street is that Bozo is about to introduce the need for ID at polling stations, either a passport or Driving Licence.

Trouble is about 25% of people do not have either!
The number of offences of voter fraud last time was 2.

Good idea, or not?

The article I read say photo ID would be needed.
For those who don’t have a passport or driving licence they can apply for a voters ID card.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 10, 2021, 04:52:41 pm by GazLaz »
Completely unnecessary, at best solving a problem isn’t there. At worst the Tories wanting to edge things in their favour again.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 10, 2021, 05:00:46 pm by River Don »

So should they stop postal votes - where clearly you cannot provide any other form of ID then the form you are filling in?

If so - how long in advance should an election be called to ensure people are at home on that day?

I always thought postal voting has been dodgy. There's been blatant vote rigging in some Asian areas, whether that's just husbands voting behalf of wives, or even more widespread stuff where people have been collecting ballot papers from the community.

Demanding ID though is probably a strategy to boost Tory chances though.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on May 10, 2021, 05:01:12 pm by MachoMadness »
There's no need at all and it's a transparent attempt to suppress the vote. There's a reason this form of election fraud is a complete non-issue, and always has been. If someone wanted to fiddle an election walking into a polling station and pretending to be someone else is just about the worst way you could go about it.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 10, 2021, 05:11:58 pm by albie »
This is not a neutral move, as John Burn-Murdoch of the FT explains;
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1183734108582744064

The twitter links through to the main article, but the FT is paywalled.
Scroll down the twitter thread to get the key points.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 10, 2021, 05:39:23 pm by Janso »
If they're going to introduce this, there should be a free of charge form of identification available to all of voting age.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on May 10, 2021, 06:05:35 pm by drfchound »
If they're going to introduce this, there should be a free of charge form of identification available to all of voting age.

That makes sense.
I would have no issue if everyone had to carry ID all the time.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on May 10, 2021, 06:33:31 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Biometric IDs by the back door?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on May 10, 2021, 06:33:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It is a profoundly undemocratic idea. Sledgehammer to smash a barely existent nut. And it will deter many on the margins of society from voting, which is of course the intention, on both sides of the Atlantic. There should be mass civil disobedience if this is enacted as it would be the greatest threat to the democratic franchise in over 200 years. But there won't be because most people will not care about it.

This is the Tories following in the steps of some of the worst aspects of what the Republicans have done in the USA. Too many blakc people voted for Democrats, so Republican-controlled states are systematically bringing in rules to make it harder for black people to vote.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on May 10, 2021, 06:35:52 pm by ravenrover »
My driving licence hasn't got a photo on it, it's pink and made of paper

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on May 10, 2021, 06:44:59 pm by Superspy »
Biometric IDs by the back door?

Never realised arseholes were unique.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 10, 2021, 07:50:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
Completely unnecessary, at best solving a problem isn’t there. At worst the Tories wanting to edge things in their favour again.

Well said.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on May 10, 2021, 09:32:10 pm by Metalmicky »
I may be going barking mad here, but wasn't it the Labour party who were interested in introducing national ID cards for all UK citizens a few years back.....?

Can't personally see the problem with voters (those attending polls wilts...) taking some form of Identification along. I personally carry some ID all the time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 10, 2021, 10:36:59 pm by drfchound »
I may be going barking mad here, but wasn't it the Labour party who were interested in introducing national ID cards for all UK citizens a few years back.....?

Can't personally see the problem with voters (those attending polls wilts...) taking some form of Identification along. I personally carry some ID all the time.

You are not barking MM.
Labour have talked about introducing ID cards since around 2002.
But that’s ok, let’s not enlarge on it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on May 10, 2021, 10:46:23 pm by SydneyRover »
But with 4 yrs of trump and his cronies they can probably see the light now

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on May 10, 2021, 11:17:29 pm by wilts rover »

I always thought postal voting has been dodgy. There's been blatant vote rigging in some Asian areas, whether that's just husbands voting behalf of wives, or even more widespread stuff where people have been collecting ballot papers from the community.

Has there? You would have thought the electoral commission would have had a look into that if you know about it?

I have used a postal vote twice because I was not at home on election day due to various circumstances. As I said before - how long in advance should an election be called to ensure you are able to vote - and not be abroad on holiday, on business, at a funeral etc? Or don't these people matter?

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on May 11, 2021, 12:49:18 am by bpoolrover »
I can’t see a problem with it but as Janso said it should be free

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 11, 2021, 06:15:58 am by wilts rover »
Has anyone noticed the pattern of voter suppression now underway:

pointless ID scheme, reform of judicial review, continuation of policing bill to silence protests. They all expand the power of the Conservative government and undermine that which might challenge it.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1391692989911769095

put that together with the misinformation, press briefings, cronyism and corruption

I keep saying you are watching the emergence of facsism in power in this country, put people don't believe me.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 11, 2021, 06:21:56 am by Nudga »
Desperate to get these IDs and passports in aren't they.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on May 11, 2021, 06:35:50 am by SydneyRover »
Has anyone noticed the pattern of voter suppression now underway:

pointless ID scheme, reform of judicial review, continuation of policing bill to silence protests. They all expand the power of the Conservative government and undermine that which might challenge it.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1391692989911769095

put that together with the misinformation, press briefings, cronyism and corruption

I keep saying you are watching the emergence of facsism in power in this country, put people don't believe me.

Fascism with a small f to start with Wilts then grow it by getting/continuing the populace to turn on each other, then stop the not for profits from criticising the gov't under the threat of defunding, Australia and the UK conservatives import the worst aspects of government from each other.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 11, 2021, 08:33:03 am by selby »
  I said right at the beginning of the pandemic that because of the vaccination and lock down it would be the best chance of the government for cross referencing the actual population, and they will find out that there are a lot claiming benefits who don't exist or are living abroad.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on May 11, 2021, 09:10:29 am by SydneyRover »
But may deter people from getting the vaccine?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on May 11, 2021, 09:19:35 am by selby »
  Syd, it is a massive fraud, they either do not exist or live in another country, are yo happy for it and other scams to carry on at the tax payers expense?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on May 11, 2021, 09:41:41 am by SydneyRover »
It depends on what you see as worse, a continuing disruption to normal life and lives lost or damaged or stopping fraud of an unknown number.

This is what the government's thinking on vaccines which should be applauded.

''Covid: 'No deportation risk' for illegal migrants getting vaccination''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-55978334
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:45:25 am by SydneyRover »

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on May 11, 2021, 10:57:41 am by Not Now Kato »

Has there? You would have thought the electoral commission would have had a look into that if you know about it?

I have used a postal vote twice because I was not at home on election day due to various circumstances. As I said before - how long in advance should an election be called to ensure you are able to vote - and not be abroad on holiday, on business, at a funeral etc? Or don't these people matter?

And don't forget the chronically ill and the elderly who can't leave their homes or care homes to vote!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012