Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:59:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Grimsby Town Game  (Read 6111 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Grimsby Town Game
« on April 08, 2023, 05:30:18 pm by selby »
  Who to believe after yesterdays game at Gillingham which I have not seen yet being in surgery while the game was on, now disappointingly for some back active, sorry Billy and Syd.
   What has surprised me is the different ways the game at Gillingham was received, on here disaster the manager has to go, we were pathetic, and no visible improvement at all, and conversely three friends whose football knowledge I respect who played at a decent level themselves, are not particularly Rovers fans but go regularly because they support the game and live football, who all said we were a lot better, still not that great, but we start from a low bar, and the two 18 year olds Faulkner and Goodman both played well, which was to be honest of more interest to me than the result.
   So what to believe, I will go along with the lads who I know know a bit about the game, and no apologies to some on here.
   Grimsby meanwhile were the wrong end of a shock defeat to Hartlepool so will want to get back on track in front of a large travelling crowd of away fans, something we have done our best all season to accommodate successfully with quite a few teams beating us after bad results, can we change the run?
    It looks like we will be ending the season with an ever decreasing group of players to pick a team from, which for Faulkner and Goodman could bode well, and perhaps some other youngsters can step forward like Flint, Woods, and Adamson to be on the fringe and get a taste of preparing and what it's like in the first team environment.
  The manager and we could do with getting a decent result, and performance, and not being so tactically one dimensional looked to have helped at Gillingham, we need to carry that forward to other games including this one v Grimsby.
  So what do you really think?  have we hit bottom yet?  do you want us to get a win? or are you that set against the manager and club as it stands your thoughts are you would like a loss to further your cause?
  Apart from injury would you make changes to Saturdays line up? that must have contained one of the youngest ever back lines in Football League history Faulkner 18 Nelson 19 Long 20 years old.
  Lots to discuss, Lots of controversy about in the supporters some warranted, some definitely not IMHO against persons financially supporting the club big time.
   So as ever please have your say.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:06:48 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: t's talk about the Grimby Town Game
« Reply #1 on April 08, 2023, 05:35:10 pm by Chris Black come back »
They've been pretty shit since they got hammered in the FA Cup. In the five league games since they have won 0, drawn 3 and lost 2. Bradford aside, they played largely poor sides in Crawley, Hartlepool, Mansfield and Walsall.

Their away form is very good generally though, at 8th best in League Two. Incidentally their home form is terrible and only Hartlepool and Rochdale have poorer home records this season. Which might go some way to explaining our win there.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Grimby Town Game
« Reply #2 on April 08, 2023, 06:09:32 pm by scawsby steve »
The most important thing, Brian, is that you're OK now after your surgery.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 08, 2023, 08:05:46 pm by Campsall rover »
Yes hope all went well Brian.
Hope to see you at match on Monday.  :thumbsup:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 08, 2023, 08:07:54 pm by Campsall rover »
They've been pretty shit since they got hammered in the FA Cup. In the five league games since they have won 0, drawn 3 and lost 2. Bradford aside, they played largely poor sides in Crawley, Hartlepool, Mansfield and Walsall.

Their away form is very good generally though, at 8th best in League Two. Incidentally their home form is terrible and only Hartlepool and Rochdale have poorer home records this season. Which might go some way to explaining our win there.
Not sure Mansfield could be described as poor CBcb 
Very much in the play off and possible auto promotion mix. Scoring goals we can only dream about scoring.
Itpf they are poor what does it make us?

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 08, 2023, 08:48:35 pm by Butchers Red »
I feel exactly the same way with all the games remaining, my interest is confined to seeing how young Kyle Hurst, Bobby Faulkner and now Jack Goodman go about their business.All the rest are journeymen and can easily be replaced.

As far as TB is concerned, and his press release in particular,I really want to believe it - BUT as a businessman myself - you just don't wave a red flag around inviting any prospective agent/club/player that you've deep pockets and are happy to dip in almost in an act of desperation to stem the current wave of discontent.

In the hands of a proper manager, those 3 young lads could, and should be worth many millions within 3 years. Not a chance in hell though with DS in the driving seat.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 08, 2023, 09:00:34 pm by Chris Black come back »

Not sure Mansfield could be described as poor CBcb 
Very much in the play off and possible auto promotion mix. Scoring goals we can only dream about scoring.
Itpf they are poor what does it make us?

Grimsby played Mansfield at Mansfield. In terms of home form, Mansfield are very average, in fact so average their home form is the same as our home form, both of us on 31 points at home this season. It is the away form of Mansfield that has them in the play offs (second best in League Two, 1 point off the best, Northampton Town).

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on April 08, 2023, 09:52:34 pm by normal rules »
Home defeat .
Again.
Nothing will change unless DS goes.
TB can spend all he wants. DS and JC don’t have the pedigree to achieve what this club needs.
Experience in quality recruitment and management is needed. Both have neither.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Grimsby Town Game
« Reply #8 on April 09, 2023, 08:27:36 am by steve@dcfd »
Last 10 games weve won 1 drawn 2 lost 7 scored 4 and conceded 14. Injuries may have played its part if you want to be generous to DS but we haven’t scored enough goals. So can we beat Grimsby I doubt it even without injuries we’ve got.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 09, 2023, 08:32:58 am by Chris Black come back »
We’ve drawn by far the least games at home in League Two this season (just once all season unbelievably) and they are drawn the second least away all season (three games only). Statistically a draw is not likely.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 09, 2023, 08:40:08 am by elmsallrover »

largely poor sides that by the end of the season 3 of them sides could have done the double over us

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 09, 2023, 05:40:54 pm by Prez »
Im going to stick my neck out here.

Lose 0-2 poor defensive mistakes, 2 shots on target for us.

Oh and Danny to say it was a positive performance post match interview.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 09, 2023, 06:03:29 pm by Bessie Red »

Talking to Lee Turnbull yesterday, he's good mates with Paul Hurst, and he said he'd spoken to Hurst last week and he had told him his players were very tired due to the lengthy cup run and don't have much left to give this season. That rings true what with their current form.
May mean we have a chance tomorrow but I just can't see us scoring.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 09, 2023, 06:07:03 pm by selby »
  I thgink thats what you are hoping for Prez, I hope we play well and get a result the rest will look after itself.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 09, 2023, 06:07:56 pm by Lesonthewest »
Im going to stick my neck out here.

Lose 0-2 poor defensive mistakes, 2 shots on target for us.

Oh and Danny to say it was a positive performance post match interview.
Another load of rubbish after Gillingham,  disagreeing with the interviewer saying he prides himself on the players being 'connected'.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 09, 2023, 07:37:07 pm by dickos1 »
He also tried to calm the interviewers positivity, who was praising the performance and stating we certainly shouldn’t have lost.
You must have missed that bit

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 09, 2023, 07:54:43 pm by Lesonthewest »
He also tried to calm the interviewers positivity, who was praising the performance and stating we certainly shouldn’t have lost.
You must have missed that bit

No heard it all, just stating the bit where he talked boll--ks, like he does in most interviews.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 09, 2023, 08:19:07 pm by roversdude »
I’ve a feeling somehow we will get a result tomorrow

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 10, 2023, 07:30:51 am by normal rules »
I’d like another abject performance with little or no attacking intent, a woeful defensive performance where rovers gift the cod heads a few easy goals and the usual excuses at the post match interview interspersed with his annoyingly characteristic large sharp intakes of breath.
IF it means the board do the right thing, see sense finally and get him the f**k out of our club.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 10, 2023, 07:49:58 am by anton123 »
Doncaster rovers -0 will be half the score the rest is up to Grimsby, schofield out ! McCann IN !

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 10, 2023, 08:18:34 am by selby »
  It is noticeable that the two old stagers Hodgson and Warnock have taken on the modern tactics by playing most of the game in the opponents half of the field, getting the ball forward quickly to runners, and letting the defenders make mistakes playing pit pat football across the face of their own goal.
  They must think it easy after most of their maneregerial life being faced with two banks of four in front of them.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 10, 2023, 08:37:18 am by Alickismyhero »
Selby,

I hope the inward growing toenails op was a complete success but on a serious note I thought there was a significant improvement in performance  in our last game.

I am still behind the team, manager, Copps and owner. There is only one addition I would make and that is to get O'Driscoll involved in our management team covering scouting in the south of England.

The result today will be affected by even more injuries from the Gills game but it could be a very narrow win, fingers crossed.

murham

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 10, 2023, 09:02:02 am by murham »
3-1 Rovers

What am I saying………….think I need counselling

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 10, 2023, 09:06:59 am by selby »
  Alick, so am I, but organisation and enthusiasm and some get up and go would work wonders at the club at the moment, there are a lot of areas at the club that could be so much better that would not cost the club a lot if any money at all and would make things better.
   We lack ideas and thinking outside the box off and on the field of play, and have lost the connection and enthusiasm around the club when Sod was here, and it is growing into a bigger problem than the playing side of the club.
  If the club don't recognise it it could become a big problem quickly then it could take a long time to build back what we had just recently at the Charlton game, we lost that game but no kick back, everyone had given everything, and people accepted it, it's been downhill ever since throughout the club on and off the field of play.
  We need as a club to get our Mojo back.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 09:26:47 am by selby »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on April 10, 2023, 09:27:15 am by roversdude »
  Alick, so am I, but organisation and enthusiasm and some get up and go would work wonders at the club at the moment, there are a lot of areas at the club that could be so much better that would not cost the club a lot if any money at all and would make things better.
   We lack ideas and thinking outside the box off and on the field of play, and have lost the connection and enthusiasm around the club when Sod was here, and it is growing into a bigger problem than the playing side of the club.
  If the club don't recognise it it could become a big problem quickly then it could take a long time to build back what we had just recently at the Charlton game, we lost that game but no kick back, everyone had given everything, and people accepted it, it's been downhill ever since throughout the club on and off the field of play.
  We need to get our Mojo back.

In my opinion the demise started when DM ripped the soul out of the place by bringing in so many loan players.
The club seemed to recognise that there was a big disconnect with fans and tried to remedy by hand delivering season tickets etc.
The best way however is results on the pitch or at least (as mentioned earlier) watching a team leaving everything on the pitch rather than going through the motions.

Sorry back on topic - what has happened to Anderson is he likely to feature today ?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 10, 2023, 09:31:24 am by ncRover »
Hope to see Faulkner play well today, as Anderson’s inconsistent fitness will require him to step up next season. The lack of protection in front of what will be a young defence has not been addressed all season. He will have his work cut out today. McAtee is a good player but missed their last game.

Westbrooke will be settling in and seems like a good lad. Hopefully DS’ tactics will enable chances for the forwards to be created by him… A first league goal for Goodman to get him going would also be nice.

I think we’ll see a close game today, I don’t feel like we are going to lose.

But that should not mean that those who don’t have faith in Schofield should be called out and goaded should we win/draw. Grimsby like us have no win in the last 5. And based on the period covering Schofield’s reign, they are one of the few sides with a worse league record than us.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 09:34:42 am by ncRover »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 10, 2023, 09:33:35 am by ncRover »
  We need to get our Mojo back.

In my opinion the demise started when DM ripped the soul out of the place by bringing in so many loan players.
The club seemed to recognise that there was a big disconnect with fans and tried to remedy by hand delivering season tickets etc.
The best way however is results on the pitch or at least (as mentioned earlier) watching a team leaving everything on the pitch rather than going through the motions.

Sorry back on topic - what has happened to Anderson is he likely to feature today ?

I’m guessing it’s his lower back again? I recall that he had an injection in to it earlier in the season but such short term solutions do not do it any good in the long term. Especially when thrown back in to battle like Tom usually is.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 10, 2023, 09:37:42 am by ravenrover »
The last time he was out he told me it was back spasms

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 10, 2023, 09:52:43 am by Campsall rover »
Just asked my 10 yr old Grandson if he is coming to the match today
He has a season ticket.
“Do you mind if I don’t go Grandpa”  that’s what it has come to.
A Football mad 10yr old who would rather stay at home than go to watch the match.
I really don’t need to say any more do i. 

The entertainment value is zero. He want’s see the ball moved with pace, attacking football, he wants to see crosses into the box, he wants to see shots at goal, some on target and at least 1 or 2 hitting the back of the net.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 10, 2023, 10:01:47 am by Rovers91 »
3-1 Grimsby, perfect game for them to get a reaction, game with rivalry, they will have a big following who will be up for it and we are shit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012