Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:35:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Burton Albion game  (Read 7981 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Burton Albion game
« on November 04, 2023, 08:03:26 pm by selby »
  We are hanging on now in the FA cup to get to Christmas still in the competition again, with the result at Accrington in the replay probably having us as second favourites, and probably facing a deficit if we do go out financially, not good news at all.
  Followed no doubt by another poor attendance in the Burton game and only prize money for a win that can save the situation, and could cause us to dump players in January unless we go cap in hand to the owners again to get someone in.
  So important we win to get anything out of the competition again, and could even signal season over as regards interest after the replay at Accrington, as I doubt our chances of putting a series of good results together to do anything in the league, at best scraping in the playoffs, but at the moment we have not got the consistency in one game never mind over game after game to get into that position unless things change.
  We saw everything that is good about us against Accrington in the first half, I doubt we can play any better, but came up short again with our defensive frailties, and missing chances coming back to bite our backside once again.
   Burton meanwhile drew 0-0 at ten man Port Vale and sit a surprising 11th in division 1 their top scorer Powell on 4 goals scraping  in the top scorers in the division list.
  So depending on how important they view the competition should be considered favourites.
  My instinct is go for it and pick our best side available, and set out to win the game, others will say pick fringe players, even youngsters, we haven't got any good enough if more than one or two in my opinion, and I think there is more at stake than a game of football, lose and lose Saturday and at Accrington, all possibilities and we are hovering falling in the mire again and a supporters base down to the bare minimum until next May again, and a smaller supporters base next season again and less investment.
 So the game is not every ones cup of tea, but there are interesting side shows and lots hinging on the result some are not interested in, although lots to discuss if you want the club to move forward, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Burton Albion game
« Reply #1 on November 04, 2023, 09:07:33 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian you are talking as though we have little chance of winning at Accrington in the replay.
I disagree. On paper maybe Accrington are favourites as they are 7th and we are 17th in the league.
This is a Cup tie and anything can happen in Cup ties.
Barnsley 3, Horsham 3 & Swindon 4, Aldershot 7 as just 2 examples from todays matches. Not only that Aldershot were 7-0 up away from home against an almost full strength Swindon Town team.

We are a team which is undoubtedly improving month on month.
How much better do we look now than we did in August.
Unrecognisable from that team that lost to Harrogate and Newport.

Yes we don’t score enough goals but the important thing is we are creating 5 times as many chances as we did only 2 months ago even one month ago.
Yes we are still conceding goals which could be defended better.
But we don’t concede as many bad goals as we did 2 month as ago.

Brian from where we were last April GM has produced a minor miracle in turning round a team with a losing mentality into a team which now goes out believing they can win every time they cross that white line.

We can beat Burton on Tuesday and Accrington a week on Tuesday.
Whether we will we will have to wait and see but I promise you GM will want to win both games.
We have a manager with a winning mentality and there is no way he will want to go out of either of these cup competitions.

If we had more fit players then he could rotate the squad on Tuesday but we don’t have enough players that are fit enough to do that.

I expect he may start Wood, Maxwell, Hurst & Goodman and possibly Roberts who were all on the bench today. Maxwell, Hurst & Goodman coming on during the 2nd half.
Yes a strongish team will be played but I would save Ironside and Close for the Wimbledon game next Saturday assuming they will be ok after 2 weeks recuperation.

It’s not a disaster if we lose both Cup games Brian, yes a set back but I am fairly confident TB will provide GM with a very healthy budget for next season.
GM would not have taken this job without the assurance he would have the financial backing to enable him to get this Club promoted within 2 years of taking the job.

A lucrative FA cup draw though would be a massive help financially.
We would need a trip to Wembley though in the BSM trophy to make any money. It the Final or nothing as attendances are very poor right up to the semi finals.

I am very optimistic about our immediate future. We now have a manager with a clear vision on how to get from A to B
Has a method or identity to how he wants the team to play.
Is able to get his ideas across to the players that they can understand.
Has created a proper work ethic.
Plays a system or systems that suit the players at his disposal.
Most importantly of all he is able to improve each and every individual player in his squad and has now got his players individually and collectively believing in their ability and believing that they will consistently win football matches.
He has also built a team spirit where the whole squad are now working with one aim.

The experience GM has gained since he left DRFC in the summer of 2019 will have been invaluable. He will now be a much better manager than he was 4 & half years ago. Calmer more retrospective and wiser.

His appointment this summer was inspirational and has transformed total doom and gloom into genuine belief that this club can challenge for a place back to the 2nd tier of English football.

Rome wasn’t built in a day Brian.
Sean O’Driscoll needed time and he inherited a far more accomplished squad from Dave Penney than GM has from the one put together by Darren Moore , Richie Wellens, Gary McSheffrey & Danny Schofield between them.
What has been achieved in only 3 months by GM  suggests we are very much a team and Club on the way back up the ladder.

We were heading for the abyss last spring and if the wrong managerial appointment had been made again we would be heading out the trap door to the National league this season. That’s a place where getting back out of can take 15 years. Ask Wrexham.

Keep McCann in the hot seat and back him.
TB’s time as owner of this football club will then be remembered with affection.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 09:13:54 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on November 04, 2023, 09:21:12 pm by dickos1 »
Selby, that’s probably the most negative post you’ve ever made regarding the next game.
At a time when we’re amongst the top form teams in the division, I find it baffling!
Stating the season is over when we lose to Accrington
Wow

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on November 04, 2023, 09:36:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Brian, since when did going out of the FA Cup signal the end of the season in the league?

It certainly wouldn't impact on the interest of the fans. There were less than 3000 Rovers fans there today.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on November 04, 2023, 09:41:02 pm by Campsall rover »
Selby, that’s probably the most negative post you’ve ever made regarding the next game.
At a time when we’re amongst the top form teams in the division, I find it baffling!
Stating the season is over when we lose to Accrington
Wow
We are only 6 points off the play offs with 30 games to play.
We have everything to play for this season whether we are in or out of the cup competitions.
Yes top 3 will be very difficult and we would have to get probably 65 or more points from 30 games.
So yes that’s not really realistic but 55 points although is a big ask is achievable.
If we did achieve the play offs then it’s a massive achievement based on where we were only 6/7 weeks ago

I am looking at Grant building this squad over the next 8 months that would be capable of winning the League next season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on November 04, 2023, 09:52:18 pm by selby »
  Paul I agree we are better than we were a few weeks ago, not good enough and once again against one of the top half sides ( how many times are you prepared to see it before you admit it) Salford, Stockport, now Accrington unbeaten v us top half sides, easy you played well lads you deserved better again, while laughing in the changing rooms, nothing easier, nothing more frustrating.
  Yes we have a chance at Accrington I hope with everything I have we do it again? we are not dependable when it comes to getting results ,and the pendulum has swung slightly the other way, we have to do it against the head now, and we still have them big Bo*****s a game in us, and those two goals today especially were poor defending straight out of the crap defending book of football B******s, amateurish, same players making the same mistakes again, straight down the middle and lack of pace, and a simple cross into the box with minutes to go you simply need to get onto and clear, while we are running about holding onto players with our back to the ball  that  and every other  corner we conceded.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 04, 2023, 09:56:47 pm by selby »
  Steve I make it since 2019

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 04, 2023, 10:00:39 pm by dickos1 »
  Paul I agree we are better than we were a few weeks ago, not good enough and once again against one of the top half sides ( how many times are you prepared to see it before you admit it) Salford, Stockport, now Accrington unbeaten v us top half sides, easy you played well lads you deserved better again, while laughing in the changing rooms, nothing easier, nothing more frustrating.
  Yes we have a chance at Accrington I hope with everything I have we do it again? we are not dependable when it comes to getting results ,and the pendulum has swung slightly the other way, we have to do it against the head now, and we still have them big Bo*****s a game in us, and those two goals today especially were poor defending straight out of the crap defending book of football B******s, amateurish, same players making the same mistakes again, straight down the middle and lack of pace, and a simple cross into the box with minutes to go you simply need to get onto and clear, while we are running about holding onto players with our back to the ball  that  and every other  corner we conceded.

We’ve beaten, Crawley, Gillingham, and had some very close games with Stockport, Wrexham, Mansfield, barrow,

Is 18 points from the last 10 games really not good enough for you?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 04, 2023, 10:33:05 pm by ncRover »
For the form table based on the last 10 league games we are 6th.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 04, 2023, 10:37:19 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian Stockport and Salford were in the play offs last season.
Stockport very much like us in 2003/04 have momentum. They have a squad which in the main has been together for 3/4 seasons baring a few additions.
We matched them at Edgeley Park a few weeks ago. Yes we lost but we are not at the level they are just yet as a squad.
As GM said only this week, quoting roughly what he said.  “We must aspire to achieve what Stockport have. Can we go on a long unbeaten run like them” 
Salford have an established team in this league.

We are not going to be the consistent machine we all want our team to be overnight. It will take time.
We have shown massive improvement in a very short period of time. We will keep getting a blip in form especially while we have so many players not 100% fit or unavailable to play at all.
When we have 80 to 90% of our squad fully fit then I think we will see more consistency in our performances. A strong bench is vital to being a serious promotion contender.

What’s important is we see the improvement continue from month to month.
Since the Newport game which was only the 3rd match we played this season ( 2nd league game ) we haven’t been outplayed by anyone except Notts County and that was only our 4th league game.
We either matched or were better than Mansfield, Swindon, Wrexham, MK Dons, Gillingham & Stockport all teams who were tipped to finish in the top 7/8 this season.

A little patience is needed Brian.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 04, 2023, 10:45:22 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We have some makings of a top side. Get all the strikers fit and we have options, many in this league would love.
For me we are weak in the goalkeeping section. In central defence we miss a dominant player.
In midfield while Owen Bailey plays at the back, then we miss a true ball winner.

The full backs are pretty strong for us. We have quality in and around the strikers, maybe a bit more consistency needed.
I feel like the makeshift central defenders are ok against the poorer teams, but against the top notchers then we will struggle.

I see Accrington as a top ten side in this league. A good side but not a great one. We can win the replay but must tighten up defensively. It’s pure concentration issues at times that cost us.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on November 04, 2023, 10:51:22 pm by selby »
  Since 2019 apparently Steve, Dickos, what's form ever had to do with us in this competition, successive managers and a lot of the supporters of the club have not taken this competition seriously as games themselves by turning up in numbers, or picking sides resembling the strength of our league team.
   We have been made to look fools while teams around us like Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield, and Lincoln ( some giving us a good dicking on the way and laughed at our expense) have been in more than one final of the competition and used the money generated  to better the strength of their playing staff, while we have regressed.
   Today we had a very poor turn out in numbers of our supporters despite very reduced prices of entry, we will have lost money putting the game on, the same will happen Tuesday every one knows that, losing money again, only winning the replay and the game Tuesday and the prize money at stake will compensate financially, and the chance of advancement hopefully give us a chance to actually make some much needed funds we may be able to strengthen the side with.
  I would like to think like you seem to do and some others do that we can get in the mix for a playoff place, reality is I think there are at present seven or eight teams better and more dependable than ourselves in the division at the moment, and like Accrington today  know that if they get in front early, or hang in there we will make the mistakes we made all last season and this up to press.
 I am just as aware of our current form in the points table some of it built on strokes of luck such as at Forest Green rarely repeated but I sincerely hope I am wrong and your optimism proves correct on the playing side, the financial implications and our weakness's in the squad worry me, we seem far from being a settled side and seem to be constantly fire fighting  on the fitness front.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 04, 2023, 11:05:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian we are a very settled side at present. GM does not have the luxury of changing the team resting players due to all the injuries.
This I believe has helped us in the short term get the results we have in the last 10 league games.

The problem we will have is that 2 games a week is going to take its toll. Players are going to be very fatigued. That leads to a drop off in performance and mistakes creep in particularly in the last 15 /20 mins of a game.
We are starting to see that already.
The return of Senior, Wood, Maxwell, Hurst & Roberts to the fold will be critical over the next few weeks.
We need Ironside, Close back next Saturday and we need to see Miller back asap.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 11:16:38 pm by Campsall rover »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on November 04, 2023, 11:47:23 pm by dickos1 »
  Since 2019 apparently Steve, Dickos, what's form ever had to do with us in this competition, successive managers and a lot of the supporters of the club have not taken this competition seriously as games themselves by turning up in numbers, or picking sides resembling the strength of our league team.
   We have been made to look fools while teams around us like Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield, and Lincoln ( some giving us a good dicking on the way and laughed at our expense) have been in more than one final of the competition and used the money generated  to better the strength of their playing staff, while we have regressed.
   Today we had a very poor turn out in numbers of our supporters despite very reduced prices of entry, we will have lost money putting the game on, the same will happen Tuesday every one knows that, losing money again, only winning the replay and the game Tuesday and the prize money at stake will compensate financially, and the chance of advancement hopefully give us a chance to actually make some much needed funds we may be able to strengthen the side with.
  I would like to think like you seem to do and some others do that we can get in the mix for a playoff place, reality is I think there are at present seven or eight teams better and more dependable than ourselves in the division at the moment, and like Accrington today  know that if they get in front early, or hang in there we will make the mistakes we made all last season and this up to press.
 I am just as aware of our current form in the points table some of it built on strokes of luck such as at Forest Green rarely repeated but I sincerely hope I am wrong and your optimism proves correct on the playing side, the financial implications and our weakness's in the squad worry me, we seem far from being a settled side and seem to be constantly fire fighting  on the fitness front.

I’m not talking about the cup, I’m talking about you suggesting our current form isn’t good enough and the fact you’re suggesting our season is over if we lose the replay

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on November 05, 2023, 10:33:05 am by selby »
  Dickos, If you read all the post I did say if we lost all three games in the seven days, not just that one game,
  I admit I was frustrated by our inability to see out a few minutes to win the game yesterday, and it influenced my judgment as I am desperate for the club to do well in all competitions and have a buzz about the place.
  We have three mountains to climb coming up, Burton are a league above and start favourites on Tuesday, Wimbledon have gone five games in the league without a win, but hit five yesterday against a poor Cheltenham side, and the game at Accrington in the replay I would say we will have to repeat our best form in yesterdays game, and defend better to get a result.
  All the games look even Steven, lose the lot which is not too far fetched and we are out of knock out football for another season in early November and its financial rewards,  and drop back to potentially nine points off a playoff place, which will require a long run of good results to overcome , something we have not done for a long time.
  Losing the games will also effect our followers, some quick to turn on the board and management for lack of success, any success being in short supply for far too long.
  The crowd yesterday the attendance reflected the disinterest even our most loyal supporters the season ticket holders have for competitive games if not a league game, brought on in my opinion over a period of years when we have been abject as a team and have had the idea by the management that our fringe players can compete and Schofield's tenure being the straw that broke the camel's back.
  We have a long way to go still to get the town back behind the team whatever way we can, in any competition.
  I see the next three days as very very important indeed for the future of the club, I don't want to see the attendance yesterday become the norm, and that initially is what is at stake.
  While saying this I have every confidence we now have a management team in place that can and will eventually bring success if left to do their job and continue to get the support they have had this season, and the next few games can be the catalyst for better things or another mountain to overcome.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on November 05, 2023, 11:36:08 am by dickos1 »
I think FA cup football interest was the reason of the poor gate. When we play Accrington in the league there’ll be lot more there.
That’s nothing new even when we were relatively successful we were getting poor gates in early cup rounds.
We’re in the middle of probably the best league form we’ve had for almost 5 years, there’s a lot to be positive about.
I just think you’re being unreasonably negative in this thread that’s all

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on November 05, 2023, 02:19:39 pm by Spilsby Red »
3.4 to 4 hour round journey. Cost of living crisis. That’s why me and my lad didn’t make it. Probably quite a few more like me that didn’t

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 06, 2023, 07:32:02 am by idler »
An hour journey for me but the wife has health problems and it was a grandson’s birthday.
I did but two tickets though so the club didn’t lose out financially. I would have been there if I lived locally.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on November 06, 2023, 10:58:01 am by selby »
  The two goals we gave away were very disappointing, the first a ball down the channel and a two on one situation we failed to deal with Anderson miss timing a simple ball and Olowu getting wrong footed and out muscled, the second a run around in the area and not watching the ball the same as all the other corners and more interested in grappling with players than playing and watching the ball, and caught out with a ball to the near post, poor defending after playing some good football.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on November 06, 2023, 11:29:32 am by steve@dcfd »
We shouldn’t have conceded those goals but the chances we had and didn’t take in the first half is the most disappointing the game should have been  put to bed before half time. So improving defensively is a necessity but taking chances being more clinical wins games aswell.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on November 06, 2023, 11:35:46 am by selby »
  At least two of the chances were just bad luck not bad finishing especially the stab at the ball by Faal the keeper knew nothing about and all Faal could do to get on the ball.
  And in fairness a couple were very good saves.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on November 06, 2023, 12:46:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
With Burton Mansfield and us on 3 points even a win doesn’t guarantee a place in the next round.
Mansfield play Everton so if they win they will have 6 points if we win against Burton we will be on 6 points then Burton play Mansfield at home on the 14th November result of that game will decide the group standings it could go down to goal difference. Draw and a win on penalties we would still have a chance dependent on the last group game.  But win or draw and win on penalties it’s still not in our hands as goal difference may decide both top positions.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on November 07, 2023, 09:57:10 am by selby »
  Whatever team we put out we just have to go for it, any win will be one that will back up the supporters thoughts that things are improving, and the team will build their confidence.
  It could be a very young side, but I hope Wood is included and Flint gets another run out and we might see Brown who with Flint and later Faulkner  when fit could at last show us the supporters the good work the academy are doing behind the scenes, and show that we can produce players ourselves after having managers intent on bringing in and giving game time to loan players , some of whom have left a lot to be desired and way below the standard required.
  Any way an interesting game and a chance to progress in the competition with the right result, a 7pm ko for those interested in attending and the mystery of what side we are putting out until the last minute, I for one am looking forward to it.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on November 07, 2023, 10:59:54 am by Metalmicky »
7pm KO also.....don't forget

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on November 07, 2023, 12:50:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Brian ( Selby ) your last post is a good one and I agree with the sentiments of it.

Just to mention our support.
Our ave gate is 6.800 in the league this season.
Based on the s..t show we had last season and the one previously I think the level of support we are getting is very encouraging.
Don’t forget we are at the highest point in the league right now as we have been all season 17th after all Saturday games played ( 15th after Tranmere on a Fri night )
Our season ticket sales have been very encouraging.
We now have the Grant McCann factor to thank for the upturn in support.
If we go out of both Cup competitions in the next 8 days there will be no one more disappointed than me, but if our league form continues as  to the level of the last 10 games and we climb the table the support will increase further.
The Cups won’t  affect that one iota imo.
We will lose potential revenue though so yes we should go flat out to win tonight and particularly next week at Accrington to win the games.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on November 07, 2023, 01:32:53 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Would go with a strong team tonight with 3 or 4 changes at most just to give Wood, Maxwell and Hurst more minutes (rest Anderson for Saturday).

Jones

Bailey Wood Olowu

Nixon Westbrooke Broadbent Maxwell

Hurst

Faal Goodman

That leaves a strong bench aswell including Molyneux, Senior and Biggins. Could also see Close and ironside back but can’t see us risking them until Saturday, also possibility of Miller and/or Rowe being on the bench.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on November 07, 2023, 03:34:59 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I've had the iFollow match notification for tonight saying it's against Walsall   :facepalm:

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on November 07, 2023, 04:17:13 pm by Metalmicky »
I've had the iFollow match notification for tonight saying it's against Walsall   :facepalm:

TBF it's only about 25 miles off target...

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on November 07, 2023, 04:51:51 pm by bobbymax »
Would go with a strong team tonight with 3 or 4 changes at most just to give Wood, Maxwell and Hurst more minutes (rest Anderson for Saturday).
I'll be amazed if Lawlor doesn't start tonight and didn't Olowu go off injured on Saturday?

Jones

Bailey Wood Olowu

Nixon Westbrooke Broadbent Maxwell

Hurst

Faal Goodman

That leaves a strong bench aswell including Molyneux, Senior and Biggins. Could also see Close and ironside back but can’t see us risking them until Saturday, also possibility of Miller and/or Rowe being on the bench.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on November 07, 2023, 05:38:48 pm by glosterred »
The kick off might be delayed, Burton have been delayed arriving due to a crash on the M1

https://twitter.com/JonesSteve93/status/1721941687927222279

COYR

TinyPortal © 2005-2012