Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:24:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: General Election  (Read 23360 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: General Election
« Reply #90 on May 23, 2024, 10:48:48 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Need the Tories out but ideally a Labour majority as low as possible.

So the Tories can come back in 2029?
Why would they?

This is to do with the forthcoming election and not the one in 2029.

I think Tories have done a lot of damage over the past 14 years and in my opinion I think they will struggle to get in again.

But I also believe Labour will become even more unpopular when as expected they will get in.

But the Greens, Independents are making up ground slowly.

Stop and think.

The only way Labour gets in with a small majority is if the Tories get 250 seats.

There is no other realistic scenario where that happens.

If the Tories get 250 seats, that's a massive win for them and they are well set to come back in 2029.

That's the reality. You can wish all you want that Greens and Independents will win 150 seats between them. Meanwhile, the rest of us deal with the world as it actually is.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on May 23, 2024, 11:01:33 am by roverstillidie91 »

Why would they?

I think Tories have done a lot of damage over the past 14 years and in my opinion I think they will struggle to get in again.

But I also believe Labour will become even more unpopular when as expected they will get in.

Stop and think.

The only way Labour gets in with a small majority is if the Tories get 250 seats.

If the Tories get 250 seats, that's a massive win for them and they are well set to come back in 2029.

That's the reality. You can wish all you want that Greens and Independents will win 150 seats between them. Meanwhile, the rest of us deal with the world as it actually is.
When did I say greens and independents would get 150 seats between them?

In an ideal world yes but there will be some surprises along the way.

We will just see what happens come 4th July or whenever it is.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 23, 2024, 11:18:15 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Tactical voting is going to be absolutely huge in this election and that's going to help Labour more than most. Without tactical voting they're going to require a massive swing following the calamity of 2019. To be fair, the polls suggest that they could probably get this swing, but tactical Labour/Liberal voting will certainly help. The fact that Reform will be taking away votes from the Conservatives will obviously help Labour too.

On a different note, I saw the PM on telly this morning and you could clearly see what their tactic is going be - A vote for the Conservatives is a vote for stability. I think they've got this wrong as I reckon that people will be asking themselves these questions to make their minds up who to vote for:

1. Can I/my kids afford to buy or rent a house
2. Are migration numbers falling
3. Can I see a Doctor or Dentist
4. Am I financially better off

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on May 23, 2024, 11:20:40 am by Filo »
Tactical voting is going to be absolutely huge in this election and that's going to help Labour more than most. Without tactical voting they're going to require a massive swing following the calamity of 2019. To be fair, the polls suggest that they could probably get this swing, but tactical Labour/Liberal voting will certainly help. The fact that Reform will be taking away votes from the Conservatives will obviously help Labour too.

On a different note, I saw the PM on telly this morning and you could clearly see what their tactic is going be - A vote for the Conservatives is a vote for stability. I think they've got this wrong as I reckon that people will be asking themselves these questions to make their minds up who to vote for:

That swing needed is from the last election, that gap has been steadily eroded since then

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on May 23, 2024, 11:27:32 am by IDM »

I would have thought heating our homes, feeding our families, childcare etc would be much more important than immigration?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on May 23, 2024, 11:43:11 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
When it comes down to it where are Tory voters going to turn? That's the big question.

So far in my head...

Tories - no vision, party all over place. Fine with Sunak but too many nutters.

Labour - strong leader, fairly moderate, policies quite uninspiring so far, change not overly radical, policy content key.

Lib Dems - are they just a protest party, what's their key points?

Reform - populists, nothing more.

Greens - just too left wing for me.

Count binface - can he stand in Doncaster central please?

You just look at it as ever and think they might be uninspiring but labour feels a safe bet to me right now unless the propose something stupid policy wise.

All set for Boris 2029 I suspect.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on May 23, 2024, 11:54:13 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Why would they?

Stop and think.

When did I say greens and independents would get 150 seats between them?

In an ideal world yes but there will be some surprises along the way.

We will just see what happens come 4th July or whenever it is.

Go on then.

How do you get a small Lab majority without:

a)The Tories getting enough seats not to be in total meltdown
Or
b)A bunch of small parties getting well over a hundred seats?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on May 23, 2024, 12:36:34 pm by Donnywolf »
The small parties in the future would get over 100 Seats if we had PR

This time round Green Party will get about 10% of votes cast and equating to 65 seats under PR but will get 1 Seat in Brighton Pavilion maybe 1 more if they are lucky

It stinks because if they did get 65 seats the non voters totalling 13 million who say " my vote doesn't count , my vote is irrelevant , might just might see that it does (under PR) and begin to vote for them

That would be better than Pinocchio Johnson getting 43% of votes cast and getting way more than 279 Seats

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on May 23, 2024, 12:52:49 pm by ravenrover »
Well that's a good start for Rich-ie.
At his Ilkeston meet the people q and a session this morning it now turns out at least 2 of the high viz wearing warehouse attendees were in fact disguised Conservative Councillors  admitting to being asked to attend the event and both "chosen" to ask pre planned questions, as per Adam Bienkov Political Editor Byline Times ........ oh dear!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on May 23, 2024, 12:58:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I agree Wolf
 But this is the system we have.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on May 23, 2024, 01:05:00 pm by danumdon »

This time round Green Party will get about 10% of votes cast and equating to 65 seats under PR but will get 1 Seat in Brighton Pavilion maybe 1 more if they are lucky

It stinks because if they did get 65 seats the non voters totalling 13 million who say " my vote doesn't count , my vote is irrelevant , might just might see that it does (under PR) and begin to vote for them

That would be better than Pinocchio Johnson getting 43% of votes cast and getting way more than 279 Seats

The trouble is the two main parties always go quiet on PR or don't mention it at all when they're in the ascendency. They don't give a stuff about the minor parties and would never want to promote or advance their aims. Talk about democracy for them means something completely different.

A great many people feel totally disenfranchised in their constituencies because of this system and would welcome the possibility of PR.

The Tories only allowed a referendum on PR at the cost of LD support last time this was raised. Ive on doubt that Labour will be very quite on this and will not wish it to be discussed at the top level.

When you look back at what we've had to endure from previous governments of both colours it would of been interesting to have seen how a PR system would have tempered their excesses.

Instead of lurching back and forth every time the government changes(don't you just get sick of listening to politicians saying they will need x amount of years to undo the mess the other side have made, before they proceed to make their own bigger mess) This nation needs stability and longer term planning, things that only a PR system would give us.

This really needs to be considered for the countries future long term benefit.

Not much chance of that in the next election cycle.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on May 23, 2024, 04:34:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »

UKIP had only one MP, Douglas Carswell, despite winning nearly four million votes and 12% of the total vote in 2015.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on May 23, 2024, 05:19:04 pm by SydneyRover »
And the covid inquiry continues ............

''NEW: Simon Case says he knew nothing about Rishi Sunak’s ‘eat out to help out’ Covid hospitality scheme until the day it was announced - despite being both permanent secretary and the head of the government’s taskforce.

Case says he also had no idea about the public health worries until August 2020, when it was already running.

Hugo Keith: “Barnard Castle....

“ Simon Case, off-screen: *loud sigh*

Simon Case says both the Dominic Cummings/Barnard Castle jaunt and No 10 parties would “feel like a terrible insult” to bereaved families. He says government polling at the time showed Barnard Castle badly damaged public confidence in abiding by Covid rules.

Blimey - Hugo Keith says Simon Case’s witness statement says some failings under Boris Johnson and his team amounted to “the worst governing ever seen”. Asked about this, Case again becomes emotional: “There were some dark days when it felt that we just couldn’t get it right.”

The Guardian

Some election slogans being written as we speak.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on May 23, 2024, 06:22:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

''NEW: Simon Case says he knew nothing about Rishi Sunak’s ‘eat out to help out’ Covid hospitality scheme until the day it was announced - despite being both permanent secretary and the head of the government’s taskforce.

Case says he also had no idea about the public health worries until August 2020, when it was already running.

Simon Case says both the Dominic Cummings/Barnard Castle jaunt and No 10 parties would “feel like a terrible insult” to bereaved families. He says government polling at the time showed Barnard Castle badly damaged public confidence in abiding by Covid rules.

Blimey - Hugo Keith says Simon Case’s witness statement says some failings under Boris Johnson and his team amounted to “the worst governing ever seen”. Asked about this, Case again becomes emotional: “There were some dark days when it felt that we just couldn’t get it right.”

The Guardian

Have to say, I'm astonished this inquiry isn't suspended under purdah rules.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 23, 2024, 07:23:42 pm by wilts rover »

The Guardian

Have to say, I'm astonished this inquiry isn't suspended under purdah rules.

Due to report in September. So possibly another reason why Sunak doesn't want an election in October.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on May 23, 2024, 07:25:07 pm by wilts rover »
Anyone fancy being a Tory MP? 93 constituencies still looking for a candidate apparently

https://x.com/christopherhope/status/1793676662997234096

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on May 23, 2024, 07:28:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Apparently Danny Kruger is looked upon as being one of the intellects in the Tory party. I think that might get somewhere towards the core of the problem.

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1793425368860541384

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on May 23, 2024, 08:02:02 pm by Filo »
Apparently Danny Kruger is looked upon as being one of the intellects in the Tory party. I think that might get somewhere towards the core of the problem.

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1793425368860541384

Self awareness doesn’t appear an attribute there

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on May 23, 2024, 08:11:11 pm by drfchound »
  I wonder what the note in the treasury will say this time?

“You thought last time was bad”

“We’ve given all the money to our cronies”

I remember someone on here saying it was traditional for the outgoing chancellor to leave a note for the incoming one.
I don’t suppose there is a standard note content.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on May 23, 2024, 08:22:35 pm by wilts rover »

I remember someone on here saying it was traditional for the outgoing chancellor to leave a note for the incoming one.

In 1964, outgoing Tory chancellor Reggie Maudling left a note for his Labour successor, Jim Callaghan: “Good luck, old cock. Sorry to leave it in such a mess.” Callaghan reportedly thought he was talking about the state of his office at first, before he looked at the books.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/byrne-baby-byrne

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on May 23, 2024, 08:28:48 pm by drfchound »

In 1964, outgoing Tory chancellor Reggie Maudling left a note for his Labour successor, Jim Callaghan: “Good luck, old cock. Sorry to leave it in such a mess.” Callaghan reportedly thought he was talking about the state of his office at first, before he looked at the books.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/byrne-baby-byrne

Quite funny that.
And I bet that there have been equally as funny ones left by outgoing Labour chancellors.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on May 23, 2024, 09:03:08 pm by SydneyRover »
I guess you will be calling risky a liar for cancelling the Rwanda and non-smoking bills, aye bb?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on May 23, 2024, 09:24:25 pm by scawsby steve »
And for those expecting a change in the polling over the 6 week period, we dont really normally see that.  You'd be hard pushed to bet against a labour majority of some size.

Unless Starmer gets caught on video skinning alive a baby, Labour are stuck on for a 200 seat majority over the Tories.

Kier Starmer is obviously a charlatan and womaniser.
There couldn't be any other reason for the vitriol he gets on here unless certain posters have got home to find their Mrs on all fours calling him daddy.

How about him ditching almost every policy he stood on to get the Labour leadership, when he was pretending to be a left leaning MP with the interests of the working class at heart?

Haven't you seen the Beth Rigby interview with him?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on May 23, 2024, 09:31:17 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I guess you will be calling risky a liar for cancelling the Rwanda and non-smoking bills, aye bb?
Rishi hasn't cancelled Rwanda and the non-smoking bill, he's postponed them.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on May 23, 2024, 09:41:52 pm by SydneyRover »

Till he's next elected, give me a break.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on May 23, 2024, 09:44:12 pm by SydneyRover »
Can you imagine risky hanging around for another shot after any sort of period running that mob in opposition, he hasn't got the sense to come in out of the rain.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on May 23, 2024, 09:49:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Why should I give you a break? You're wrong, as usual.

Well, either that, or you were lying?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on May 23, 2024, 09:51:46 pm by SydneyRover »

Up past your bedtime again bb?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on May 23, 2024, 09:58:45 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Up past your bedtime again bb?
The Bullet never lies........ Unlike you, Sydernaye.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #119 on May 23, 2024, 10:18:20 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Due to rain?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012