Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:09:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sharp signing: A view from our rivals.  (Read 16691 times)

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
Sharp signing: A view from our rivals.
« on July 05, 2010, 07:12:10 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Rotherham:

\"Got to say though, a great signing for Donny. Not sure its wise for them to be spending over £1m on a player but it shows the ambition they have. If someone told one of the 800 Donny fans who stuck around to witness their demise 10/12 years ago that in 2010 they will be playing in a shiny new stadium to crowds of 12000+ in the 2nd tier of English football and spending £1m+ on a striker, they'd be sent to the funny farm!\"

\"Donny outsiders for promotion anyone?\"

L**ds:

\"Im sorry, but if f*cking interbreeding Doncaster can cough up 1.1 million, so can we\"

\"F*cking hell what's the world coming to. Donny can afford him and we can't, shocking stuff\"

\"2+2 would mean that we were never seriously interested in Billy Sharp then.\"

\"Surely Donnie can't afford that!? Very impressive sign of intent if true.\"

\"They are more ambitious than we are.\"

Scunny:

\"so long as he keeps firing them in for Donny then that price is a steal\"

\"donny are a well run club and their board will not have endangered them to buy Sharp\"

\"Our goal as a club has to be to further develop all our resources so we're not being outmuscled financially by clubs like Doncaster.\"

Dingles:

\"that's a reyt signing......wish he was coming to us.......we still need a goalscorer....\"

\"That's a lot of money for the pikeys to be paying out, plus his wages. Poor old von Ryans express. it looks like cosmetic surgery prices going up.\"

\"Peg sales must have boomed.\"

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

paddymacca

• Forum Member
Re:Sharp signing: A view from our rivals.
« Reply #1 on July 05, 2010, 07:19:49 pm by paddymacca »
Fantastic. Good to see are local rivals finally taking us seriously. Hopefully a sign of things to come. As for Leeds....BRING IT ON!!!
They need to realize that they are no longer a big fish in a small pond. Doncaster Rovers are able to compete with them. We have been there superior since that amazing wembley day. The sooner Leeds realize this the better for them.

'Little' Donny are no longer little. Teams now are starting to realize we mean business. Long may it continue.

ROVER TILL I DIE :scarf:  :scarf:  :scarf:

thumper

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 05, 2010, 07:26:18 pm by thumper »
great impression we've made on the local rivals!

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 05, 2010, 07:32:59 pm by donnybez »
paddymacca wrote:
Fantastic. Good to see are local rivals finally taking us seriously. Hopefully a sign of things to come. As for Leeds....BRING IT ON!!!
They need to realize that they are no longer a big fish in a small pond. Doncaster Rovers are able to compete with them. We have been there superior since that amazing wembley day. The sooner Leeds realize this the better for them.

'Little' Donny are no longer little. Teams now are starting to realize we mean business. Long may it continue.

ROVER TILL I DIE :scarf:  :scarf:  :scarf:
I'm willing to bet if you search that comment up, you'll find it, on Leeds forums, as a piece of humour

Still we're a sizeable club now i guess

Norfolk N Chance

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 05, 2010, 07:34:42 pm by Norfolk N Chance »
Without Billy we had a very very good team with him exceptional! SO bring them on!

hooped crusader

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 05, 2010, 09:15:44 pm by hooped crusader »
This quote was on WACCOE, but doesn't mention the source

Donny Chairman (John Ryan) on this signing:

“As you all probably know by now (and if you don’t, what is it like on the moon?) Billy has indeed signed, pending a medical. A press conference is scheduled for Wednesday.

Also, Simon Gillett has agreed to sign, and three loan players have also agreed to come. No specific details as yet on those.

Today really is a hugely significant day in the history of our great club. Today is the day that we step up to become a major force in this division. Enjoy that thought.”

The last bit puzzles me; not sure how signing a player they had for the majority of last season equates to a hugely significant day in their history...

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 05, 2010, 09:18:31 pm by Chris »
hooped crusader wrote:

“As you all probably know by now (and if you don’t, what is it like on the moon?) Billy has indeed signed, pending a medical. A press conference is scheduled for Wednesday.

Also, Simon Gillett has agreed to sign, and three loan players have also agreed to come. No specific details as yet on those.

Today really is a hugely significant day in the history of our great club. Today is the day that we step up to become a major force in this division. Enjoy that thought.”

The last bit puzzles me; not sure how signing a player they had for the majority of last season equates to a hugely significant day in their history...

Didn't RTR say that?  :blink:

hooped crusader

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 05, 2010, 09:26:44 pm by hooped crusader »
oops  :blush:

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on July 05, 2010, 09:45:31 pm by PDX_Rover »
It tickles me that Scunny seem to think they are a bigger club than us.  \"Out-muscled by clubs like Doncaster\"

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 05, 2010, 11:43:40 pm by RobTheRover »
hooped crusader wrote:

Chuffing hell - I wish I was a quid behind him! (Cos I'd have a seat on the rovers board too!)

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 05, 2010, 11:54:54 pm by rover-n-out »
Quote from WACCOE board:-  \"2+2 would mean that we were never seriously interested in Billy Sharp then.\" unquote.

Don't they get it......2+2 means that Billy Sharp was never seriously interested in them.

Poor deluded fu***ng idiots.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on July 06, 2010, 12:12:50 am by RobTheRover »
Spot on.

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 06, 2010, 12:56:20 am by Goldthorpe Rover »
Not a bad days result for a little old pub team. :lol:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 06, 2010, 01:04:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
rover-n-out wrote:
Quote from WACCOE board:-  \"2+2 would mean that we were never seriously interested in Billy Sharp then.\" unquote.

Leeds and maths?

'Od on a bit. Here's the text from Paps Smurf's Book on Elementary Football Mathematics.

\"2+2=8% of the square root of jack shit. And if you don't like it, sue me.\"

Which, as even Kurt Godel would admit, proves beyond reproof that Leeds=shit.

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 06, 2010, 01:31:32 am by blakey »
Leeds fan here.

Sharp was never on our radar. Why quote the odd WACCOE post when a good 70% on that thread didn't want him.

Leeds are linked with Hooper who has much more potential than Sharp. Even after Paynter Grayson said there will be a number one striker signing to come.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on July 06, 2010, 01:42:59 am by RobTheRover »
I thinkyou are right mate.  I dont think Leeds were seriously in for him either, but disagree on Hooper having more potential.  I hope you get him and we will know one way or the other.  

What I do know is that whatever potential Billy has inside him, SOD will unlock.

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on July 06, 2010, 01:55:13 am by blakey »
Sharp is a very good signing for you,but Leeds would need to change their tactics for him to fit into our style of play. He was a flop for Sheffield Utd but that's a lot to do with Blackwell playing him out of position.
After the signing of Paynter Grayson said there was one or two strikers to come,but also said he wasn't going to put a figure on how many. I know what Bates is but to be fair he has backed managers and spent nearly £4m on Hulse,Healy and Cresswell.
No one knows who is on our radar but I think Hooper would be the ideal 'Beckford replacement' rather than Sharp and that's not taking anything away from Sharp it's just we seem to rely on that type of person in our team as opposed to scoring from other positions on the field as Doncaster seem to do.
Sharp probably may only get Leeds half the goals he will get for you.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on July 06, 2010, 02:08:57 am by donnywhitegaz »
morning all,very good signing for you indeed,you picked the busiest (possible worst)message board there and took the worst comments,i wish him and you well,its no big shock he said all along he wanted to come here and jr kept saying he would try his hardest to get him,hope all goes well for you both and he bangs them in (just not agin us !!) as for hooper hes one i really rate and have always said i would prefer him of the two,dont get me wrong i would of been happy to see sharp at er but want someone who  wants to come and play for us,not someone whos mind is somewhere else

on another note we have today been linked with the arsenal lad that you had last season jet,is he up to the grade and can he play ?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on July 06, 2010, 02:23:06 am by RobTheRover »
Like Blakey (quite rightly) says about Sharp not fitting in at Leeds, I suspect JET wouldnt either.  He drifts in and out of games, sometimes dynamic and direct, othertimes looking like he'd rather be anywhere but on the pitch.  Would I have him back this season?  Like a f**king shot!

He has that unpredictability that Asprilla used to have, like even he doesnt know what he's going to do next.  The guy might never make the grade for Arsenal, but I'd have him with us in a heartbeat.  The Rovers fans took him to their hearts.  Like us, he has a certain frailty about him, a flaw, and we like that.  I'm not so sure he'd get that understanding when he tries something and fails at ER.

BLIR

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 06, 2010, 03:23:17 am by BLIR »
RobTheRover wrote:
Like Blakey (quite rightly) says about Sharp not fitting in at Leeds, I suspect JET wouldnt either.  He drifts in and out of games, sometimes dynamic and direct, othertimes looking like he'd rather be anywhere but on the pitch.

They were fairly keen on a certain Mr Beckford, and you've pretty much described him to a tee  ;)

roverssam1879

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 06, 2010, 06:57:12 am by roverssam1879 »
I agree with that rob, never know which JET we will get on the day but if for every poor game he plays, we get a great game out of him, that would do for me, many people would dissagree and say we need consistancy, but the lad can do well for us i think. and he adds a little height to the team.

bobjames

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 06, 2010, 06:58:50 am by bobjames »
EXCELLENT SIGNING.

but please, it makes me cringe... Leeds United are NOT a rival of us. They just aren't, european cup winners, bremner, giles, clarke.. champions league, £1000 fish...

im being serious, they are not our rivals, and it really does make me cringe when we say they are.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on July 06, 2010, 07:08:52 am by RobTheRover »
Of course they are, Bob.

They are an opposition team in the same division.  Exactly how does that make them NOT our rivals?

en aitch

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on July 06, 2010, 07:10:52 am by en aitch »
Now I don't think of Leeds any differently from any other club (barring DRFC of course) but if you think that a team that ply their trade in the same tier of English football as we do aren't our rivals, can you explain who is please?

If you'd left out the \"I'm being serious\" I may have agreed!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on July 06, 2010, 08:00:07 am by PDX_Rover »
Come on.  Leeds are one of our local rivals, and a team we'd like to beat (again).  Historically a bigger team than us...whether that continues remains to be seen.  We are building something at Doncaster, piece by piece, player by player.  Whose to say we can't rival or better teams like Leeds in our future.  It's great trying!

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 06, 2010, 09:31:14 am by bobjimwilly »
bobjames wrote:
EXCELLENT SIGNING.

but please, it makes me cringe... Leeds United are NOT a rival of us. They just aren't, european cup winners, bremner, giles, clarke.. champions league, £1000 fish...

im being serious, they are not our rivals, and it really does make me cringe when we say they are.

european cup winners?  :blink:

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on July 06, 2010, 09:46:10 am by RobTheRover »
I thought we had already established Bob is another who only ever posts about Leeds.

Hmmmmmmmmm   ;-)

bigal

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 06, 2010, 09:52:36 am by bigal »
Leeds not our rivals what a load of rubbish, it was not long ago they pinched Killkenny off us if that does not make them rivals what does

Goldthorpe Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 06, 2010, 11:01:59 am by Goldthorpe Rover »
My biggest worry of leeds is if any of their Donny white fans start using their three brain cells and think about wearing a red shirt..because personally I dont want to see their fecking faces on our terraces, it used to wind me up big time when they turned up on the pop side.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012