Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 04:35:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This Country is a Joke  (Read 20525 times)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
Re:This Country is a Joke
« Reply #1 on July 11, 2010, 02:16:59 pm by 5minstogo »
eastender wrote:
It could only happen in this country.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1293730/Somali-asylum-seeker-family-given-2m-house--complaining-5-bed-London-home-poor-area.html

Thats me packing in work then and getting a nice pad in Bessacarr, thankyou Mr and Mrs Taxpayer.

I don't know if I blame him for being a tosser, or blame the rule makers who allow this to go on.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 11, 2010, 03:47:02 pm by not on facebook »
please somebody from the powers that gave the go head for them
to have this nice house remind the family or ask them why they was seeking asylum in the uk in first place

DN5Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on July 11, 2010, 03:48:02 pm by DN5Rover »
I do not think I have ever felt so disgusted with anything in my entire life. My god I am bloody seething!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 11, 2010, 04:34:21 pm by MrFrost »
Disgusting and proves the need for the housing benefit payouts to be capped.
Stick them in a bedsit. It'd still be a palace compared to living in Somalia.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on July 11, 2010, 05:35:30 pm by jucyberry »
Much of this farcical situation of local councils paying out massive rent rebates has to be because of a lack of lower priced social housing.... and why is there such a short fall? because so many bloody council houses have been sold off.

There will always be people who cannot afford to buy their own home, but untill more is done to build up the housing stock stories like this one will continue.

so what part of the story bothers us, as a collective most? the fact that the house is in a well to do area?

That the family didn't want to go somewhere scummy?  (and quite frankly I don't blame them, gang problems and child killings are not exactly uncommon in the poorer areas of London are they?)

Or is it more the fact that the family are asylum seekers?

would you be happier if it was Bert and Ada Biggins born within the sound of Bow Bell?

I don't know if it is the same everywhere, but my council will pay housing benefit if you are deemed to be in a house that is the right size for your needs, for example, a couple with one child wouldn't get full housing benefit if they were to move into a five bedroom property.

At the end of the day, ordinary people don't make the rules, if you want to get mad with someone, get mad with the government who almost eradicated social housing and didn't replenish its stocks, and the men and women who decide what is a fair ammout of rebate for each property.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 11, 2010, 06:43:37 pm by Chris »
Typical Daily Fail shite.

Do me a favour.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 11, 2010, 07:06:45 pm by MrFrost »
So you are suggesting it is made up.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 11, 2010, 07:43:15 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
The most offensive part of the story for me is that it can cost £2 million quid for a terraced house.

No wonder the banks are insolvent.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 11, 2010, 09:23:52 pm by MrFrost »
Why grant them asylum in the first place? I'm sick of this country being an open haven for every war torn country. About time we sorted our own problems out and helped out the needy UK citizens.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on July 11, 2010, 10:33:59 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Should asylum seekers not go to the nearest 'safe country'?

If so, how in any way shape or form, do they end up in the UK?

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on July 11, 2010, 10:38:42 pm by coventryrover »
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

Because we have a reputation as beeing a kind, compassionate and fair country.

Though with the amount of people that read the Daily Mail that will change.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on July 11, 2010, 10:48:48 pm by MrFrost »
coventryrover wrote:
Thinwhiteduke wrote:

Because we have a reputation as beeing a kind, compassionate and fair country.

Or, in other words, we're mugs.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on July 11, 2010, 10:50:51 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
coventryrover wrote:

Because we have a reputation as being a kind, compassionate and fair country.

Really?

Not because the 'Asylum Seekers' have cottoned on to the fact they get a nice big house, shed loads in benefits, Free appliances for said houses ( I know that happens my Cousin delivers them).

Surely Asylum Seekers should not be 'picking and choosing' which country they would like to reside in. Isnt it enough for them to simply escape their 'life threatening situation'?

coventryrover wrote:

Oh! And Ive never read/ bought the Daily Mail - but are you seriously saying there is no truth in that story?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on July 11, 2010, 10:52:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
jucyberry wrote:
so what part of the story bothers us, as a collective most? the fact that the house is in a well to do area?

Oh, but they're not. Read it again and get past the Mail's best efforts to represent tham as asylum seekers.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on July 11, 2010, 10:53:05 pm by Barmby Rover »
MrFrost wrote:
Why grant them asylum in the first place? I'm sick of this country being an open haven for every war torn country. About time we sorted our own problems out and helped out the needy UK citizens.

Surprisingly enough we take very few refugees compared to countries like Canada and Sweden for example, maybe they just don't fancy coming to a country full of bigoted folks whose arms industry seems hell bent on killing them.

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on July 11, 2010, 10:53:23 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
Yeah. If it saves 0.0000002p off my income tax, I'm fully prepared to send innocent men, women and children to be brutally murdered, raped and tortured.

What a bunch of mugs we are.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on July 11, 2010, 10:55:19 pm by Muttley »
Just take it as a compliment - people want to come and live in this (\"our\") country because of the weather/culture/road system/benefits...

If you don't like it, move somewhere else...

It could only happen in the Daily Mail.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on July 11, 2010, 10:56:18 pm by BobG »
Nope. For centuries we've been far sighted and far seeing. The benefits these guys ultimately bring outweigh all the costs. Who discovered crop rotation? The son of an immigrant. Who developed the original concept of merchant banking? Sons of immigrant Jews. Who helped develop the solution to Enigma? Sons of Poles. Who was our previous Conservative Home secretary but one? Son of an immighrant. The list is endless. They add, vastly, to the intellectual and commercial capital of this country.

BobG

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on July 11, 2010, 10:58:29 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
Glyn_Wigley wrote:
jucyberry wrote:

Oh, but they're not. Read it again and get past the Mail's best efforts to represent tham as asylum seekers.

The Mail clearly states that they are 'Former Asylum Seekers'.

However, Id be equally disgusted if they were British, given the fact neither of them Work, the woman in question has never worked and the Bloke is an unemployed bus conductor.

Thinwhiteduke

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on July 11, 2010, 11:02:20 pm by Thinwhiteduke »
5minstogo wrote:

Thats me packing in work then and getting a nice pad in Bessacarr, thankyou Mr and Mrs Taxpayer.

I don't know if I blame him for being a tosser, or blame the rule makers who allow this to go on.

Must admit it is tempting to give up the Job, default on the mortgage and let the state look after me.

the I could sit on my arse all day, drinking cheap booze and watching mind numbing TV watching all the other mugs go out to work to pay for my undeserved life style.

Tempting.....but at the end of the day, my conscience wont let me be a work shy layabout.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on July 11, 2010, 11:05:59 pm by Barmby Rover »
This one is nearly as good as \"Muslims force blackout at swimming pool\" Which in reality turned out to be \"Council puts tinted film onto windows at ground level after several people complained about being stared at as folks walked by, about half being Muslim and the rest not\". The exaggeration of the rabid rightwing press has to be taken with a very large piece of salt.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on July 11, 2010, 11:13:24 pm by not on facebook »
ok the asylum seeking issue put it this way the family in this
thread claim asylum in the uk after flitting their war torn or whatever country as they fear for their lives

they get given asylum and housed in a so called iffy part of north london.is this part of london war torn....NO....is it safe....alot safer than where they are seeking asylum from....

so the family complain about north london and now want to claim
asylum from north london to any nicer part of london...their claim is processed and passed and move up west to nice safe keningston.

the house they get will be fitted with basic mod cons etc etc

now lets look at a olde fella who fought in second world war for his country,what will he be getting from the state or not getting

type of sums it up dont it

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on July 11, 2010, 11:16:23 pm by MrFrost »
Muttley wrote:
Just take it as a compliment - people want to come and live in this (\"our\") country because of the weather/culture/road system/benefits...

If you don't like it, move somewhere else...

It could only happen in the Daily Mail.

Really? It was featured on the London local news also, so evidently not a story made up by the press.

Why should I move somewhere else? I don't agree with the fact that we are spending the best part of ten grand a month on a family that have barely done anything to earn it.

When my nan died, she died in poverty, with barely enough money to heat her home, despite working her whole life. I think people like her are the ones money like this should be going to.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on July 12, 2010, 12:17:09 am by eastender »
He said he found the new house through a friend who knew the landlord, arranged to rent it through an estate agent, then approached officials at Kensington and Chelsea council who said 'it would be no problem' to move.
Rules allow anyone who is eligible for housing benefit to claim for a private property in any part of the country they wish.
The £2,000 per week is paid directly to Mr Nur and his family, who then pay their landlord.

So basically Mr Nur , his  so called \"friend\" and the landlord are all on a nice little earner ,taking the piss and flicking the v's at the the tax payers and the local authorities. :angry:

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on July 12, 2010, 01:42:46 am by Chris »

I think they're Muslim aswell. They are also to blame for the high crime rates and poor education. Drug abuse is their fault too. What the hell, I bet they're child abductors too.

Daily Fail, they just never give in do they.  

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on July 12, 2010, 06:36:31 am by Glyn_Wigley »
oslorovers wrote:
thread claim asylum in the uk after flitting their war torn or whatever country as they fear for their lives

they get given asylum and housed in a so called iffy part of north london.is this part of london war torn....NO....is it safe....alot safer than where they are seeking asylum from....

asylum from north london to any nicer part of london...their claim is processed and passed and move up west to nice safe keningston.

now lets look at a olde fella who fought in second world war for his country,what will he be getting from the state or not getting

No, your post type of sums up the reaction the Mail is looking for. Whatever the rules are that have allowed this to happen (and I don't believe that the story hasn't been distorted anyway) would also apply to your 'olde fella', and for the Mail to give the impression that this has all happened because of 'asylum seeking' is disengenuous to say the least.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on July 12, 2010, 07:10:18 am by Barmby Rover »
Housing benefit is paid using a standard rent FOR THE AREA, any rent over the top of that the claimant has to pay, not many of the folks I see do that because they can't afford to pay rent and eat as well. I doubt if the Daily Mail reporter is aware or even capable of talking to the man and asking so that they could work out his claim. The myths around benefits are wonderfully manipulated by this type of story to stir up a blame culture which deflects folks from asking about what we are doing to people who are unfortunate enough to be out of work. \"It's obvious isn't it, they are all scroungers\" gives the ignorant a simple answer, which is usually wrong.

Even the Mail reporter says that the benefit is paid to the claimant, who passes it on to the landlord, so who is being greedy?

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on July 12, 2010, 09:08:22 am by MrFrost »
Barmby Rover wrote:
Housing benefit is paid using a standard rent FOR THE AREA, any rent over the top of that the claimant has to pay, not many of the folks I see do that because they can't afford to pay rent and eat as well. I doubt if the Daily Mail reporter is aware or even capable of talking to the man and asking so that they could work out his claim. The myths around benefits are wonderfully manipulated by this type of story to stir up a blame culture which deflects folks from asking about what we are doing to people who are unfortunate enough to be out of work. \"It's obvious isn't it, they are all scroungers\" gives the ignorant a simple answer, which is usually wrong.

Even the Mail reporter says that the benefit is paid to the claimant, who passes it on to the landlord, so who is being greedy?

In certain circumstances, housing benefit will pay more than the standard rate.

I really do wonder why people are trying to defend them or make excuses. They should think themselves lucky that they were granted asylum.

I wish the government would bring in their housing benefit cap sooner than 2012.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on July 12, 2010, 09:15:51 am by MrFrost »
Glyn_Wigley wrote:
oslorovers wrote:

No, your post type of sums up the reaction the Mail is looking for. Whatever the rules are that have allowed this to happen (and I don't believe that the story hasn't been distorted anyway) would also apply to your 'olde fella', and for the Mail to give the impression that this has all happened because of 'asylum seeking' is disengenuous to say the least.

No, the rules aren't the same for everyone. Take this scenario:

Family of 4, Man, Wife and two kids. Have a mortgage and have worked all their lives. They get made redundant, through no fault of their own. They can't pay the mortgage. They are not entitled to housing benefit as they are not renting. Their house gets re-possesed. Now with a shite credit rating, they can't buy or rent privately. Screwed big time.

Now you have a family of asylum seekers. Granted asylum because sending them home would infringe on their human rights. They've never contributed to our society, yet they get put up in a £900 a week house. They don't like this, so they get upgraded to a £2000 a week house, all mod cons, a life of luxury.

Take the two scenario's. Why should this Somalian family be entitled to anything?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012