Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:51:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ferguson resigned  (Read 27646 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Ferguson resigned
« Reply #120 on June 04, 2018, 10:33:28 pm by selby »
  We might just get a good forward back in Mandeville, and a couple of youg defenders who he treated pretty badly when they were looking like good prospects.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on June 04, 2018, 10:33:32 pm by PDX_Rover »
I'm surprised but not, if that makes sense. I didn't mind DF. However, I didn't 100% buy into him. He obviously has had some lower league success and understands the game, but there's something missing from his management style. Not sure exactly what it is, but he's certainly not his Dad. He doesn't have 'it' as a manager, but he was an improvement on Dickov. He's certainly moved the club forwards in structure I think, even if we are back where we were when he came in in terms of league position.

We played some nice stuff. We played some f**king awful stuff. He didn't seem to be able to stick to a system and some of his decisions, playing players out of position a hell of a lot, were bizarre. And every season he lost his way towards the end of the season. Every season.

I'm actually excited to see what happens next. I certainly don't believe our board is tight. And I don't agree all this b*llocks about them "not being football people" - utter crap. RTID

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on June 04, 2018, 10:33:53 pm by dickos1 »
I agree it’s not necessarily going to be a bad thing, but he wouldn’t leave for no reason and he wouldn’t say he was left with no alternative. That’s what’s concerning me, we’ve got no money to bring in any decent players

Any link to the frightening rumour you heard?

Maybe yeah.
I was told then that the club had to take out a loan because of a cash flow shortage due to season ticket sales not being as good as they’d projected.

More rubbish Dickos, can you seriously imagine Terry Bramall having to take out a loan??

More rubbish 😂

The club needed the loan not brammal of course.
You keep saying it’s all rubbish but the things that are happening don’t seem to back it up.

Wouldn't be a smart business move though? If the club needed it wouldn't Brammall loan us it then the interest goes to him, not some bank or whatever.

Yes, the loan would probably have come from brammal

Until the last few years he'd been loaning us money for years, along with JR and DW. Nobody made a big deal back then.

I know, but having to do it unexpectedly cause of poor cash flow might be more of an issue.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on June 04, 2018, 10:35:12 pm by silent majority »
I agree it’s not necessarily going to be a bad thing, but he wouldn’t leave for no reason and he wouldn’t say he was left with no alternative. That’s what’s concerning me, we’ve got no money to bring in any decent players

Maybe yeah.
I was told then that the club had to take out a loan because of a cash flow shortage due to season ticket sales not being as good as they’d projected.

More rubbish Dickos, can you seriously imagine Terry Bramall having to take out a loan??

More rubbish 😂

You keep saying it’s all rubbish but the things that are happening don’t seem to back it up.

Wouldn't be a smart business move though? If the club needed it wouldn't Brammall loan us it then the interest goes to him, not some bank or whatever.

TB invests countless millions to DRFC, he's never taken anything out or charged a single penny in interest. Its just a ludicrous suggestion that the club would need a loan, commercial or otherwise, to cover a lack of income in ST sales. Especially since ST sales exceeded expectations.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on June 04, 2018, 10:35:24 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Valid point though. At least kongolo won't be back.....

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on June 04, 2018, 10:35:51 pm by Copps is Magic »
Maybe Fergie knows he can't get decent enough results without a large budget because of his own limitations as a manager. Now because the Board wont give him that large budget he needs to be successful he has no alternative but to resign to save face. Let's be honest we know & the Board knows that there are managers out there that don't need huge budgets to get promotions at this level.
So maybe it's just a case of Fergie knowing he is not good enough to get where the Board wants without spending shed loads of cash!

Again, incredible that it's Darren Ferguson, Doncaster Rovers' manager of all people, to suddenly break the mold of a game completely corrupted by money and self interest. Almost impossible to believe really.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on June 04, 2018, 10:36:22 pm by drfchound »
I'm surprised but not, if that makes sense. I didn't mind DF. However, I didn't 100% buy into him. He obviously has had some lower league success and understands the game, but there's something missing from his management style. Not sure exactly what it is, but he's certainly not his Dad. He doesn't have 'it' as a manager, but he was an improvement on Dickov. He's certainly moved the club forwards in structure I think, even if we are back where we were when he came in in terms of league position.

We played some nice stuff. We played some f**king awful stuff. He didn't seem to be able to stick to a system and some of his decisions, playing players out of position a hell of a lot, were bizarre. And every season he lost his way towards the end of the season. Every season.

I'm actually excited to see what happens next. I certainly don't believe our board is tight. And I don't agree all this b*llocks about them "not being football people" - utter crap. RTID

Crikey PDX, how high is that fence you are sitting on.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on June 04, 2018, 10:37:00 pm by silent majority »

Maybe yeah.

More rubbish 😂

Yes, the loan would probably have come from brammal

Until the last few years he'd been loaning us money for years, along with JR and DW. Nobody made a big deal back then.

He doesn't loan the club money. He gives his money away, a significant difference.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on June 04, 2018, 10:40:44 pm by selby »
  Could be Barnsley have tapped him up, it will not be the first time they have raided us, and they may splash the money about to attract him.
  If he  does go anywhere I think we can get ready for a raid on Marquis.
  I wonder if the back room staff he has brought in will go with him, what we don,t want is them going at the start, or just after the start of next season.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on June 04, 2018, 10:41:15 pm by since-1969 »
It’s always been the worst part of the year ,  with Player speculation etc . Add to this Fergie family situation , our poor over all form , injuries and players in high wages and not even playing for the club , it would hard for any board member to see any vertue in keeping the status quo .

redarmi66

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on June 04, 2018, 10:42:20 pm by redarmi66 »
Fergie jr is a wealthy man. He has choices. He owns a very sucessful business outside of football with his dad. The business is worth millions.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on June 04, 2018, 10:43:16 pm by since-1969 »
So gives up so he can waist his time elsewhere?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on June 04, 2018, 10:43:22 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm baffled to be honest, odd timing as well. It doesn't come across well as unless he ends up at another club in the next few days (which of course is entirely possible) then it must be about the man and the board not seeing eye-to-eye on the playing budget.

I get people saying it's not necessarily a bad thing because he's not that good a manager, he's definitely not irreplaceable or anything. But it's more upheaval, I'd really like some long-term stability in terms of our strategy and planning. Maybe I was spoiled by the 5 odd years of SOD but it does annoy me a bit. We got ourselves in a right state through the Saunders and Dickov eras and then got relegated to League Two necessitating another total revamp, now we finally have two years of solid progression and a coherent transfer/development strategy and the manager leaves out of nowhere.

So I hope the club act quickly, get a sensible replacement in and move to reassure all of us lot that there's no reason to be alarmed. Because we aren't going to get near to achieving that plan to be in the Championship by 2022 if we don't invest in improving the playing squad.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on June 04, 2018, 10:45:08 pm by PDX_Rover »
If it didn't point to something wider going on, I wouldn't be all that bothered. Decent manager and I'd have been happy for him to stay but I didn't feel he was ever getting more out of the team than the sum of its parts, and started to get tired of him only having two gameplans and subsequently running out of ideas when neither of them worked.

Interesting times. Not going to cast doom over the situation just yet but it will be interesting to see which way this plays out.

100% agree Pib. Spot on.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on June 04, 2018, 10:45:19 pm by Sprotyrover »
I would hope we can sign a competent manager who can get us promoted without taking the country into another recession.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on June 04, 2018, 10:45:54 pm by donny dave »
If you read the statement on the website it sounds more like mutual concent.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on June 04, 2018, 10:46:07 pm by dickos1 »
At the end of the day, we’re all guessing, Martin keeps saying everything is fine, we’re going to replace the high earners we’re not cutting the Budget. Others like myself are worried, but only way we’re gonna know is by waiting and seeing what happens. If we appoint a redfearn or a coppinger and sign inexperienced players we will know why Ferguson left. If we sign experienced quality league one players and appoint a tidsdale then we will know there is no issue with the board

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on June 04, 2018, 10:47:02 pm by drfchound »
I'm baffled to be honest, odd timing as well. It doesn't come across well as unless he ends up at another club in the next few days (which of course is entirely possible) then it must be about the man and the board not seeing eye-to-eye on the playing budget.

I get people saying it's not necessarily a bad thing because he's not that good a manager, he's definitely not irreplaceable or anything. But it's more upheaval, I'd really like some long-term stability in terms of our strategy and planning. Maybe I was spoiled by the 5 odd years of SOD but it does annoy me a bit. We got ourselves in a right state through the Saunders and Dickov eras and then got relegated to League Two necessitating another total revamp, now we finally have two years of solid progression and a coherent transfer/development strategy and the manager leaves out of nowhere.

So I hope the club act quickly, get a sensible replacement in and move to reassure all of us lot that there's no reason to be alarmed. Because we aren't going to get near to achieving that plan to be in the Championship by 2022 if we don't invest in improving the playing squad.

RA, we aren’t really much further forward than when Ferguson joined us though.
Maybe a few places on the league ladder.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on June 04, 2018, 10:49:02 pm by Jonathan »
I get the logic behind saying we need to take the time to make the right appointment. But I hope we don’t waste too much time inviting applications, shortlisting and interviewing while other clubs are getting their squads together. There a window that means we needn’t panic, but it’s not a big window. Pre season isn’t far away. We should be approaching desirable candidates not just waiting on applications.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on June 04, 2018, 10:49:29 pm by dickos1 »
Maybe not on the pitch but it’s common knowledge how much the club has moved forward under Ferguson.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on June 04, 2018, 10:49:53 pm by steve@dcfd »
The club have already issued a statement and an update will follow in the next 24 hours.

But for all those who are blaming the playing budget for this would be wrong. There has been no cost cutting with the playing staff and the club confirmed that to the supporters board and with myself.

I have a meeting scheduled with Gavin tomorrow, and we will discuss this again.

Ask Gavin
Will the new manager be told about the clubs five year plan. Next year is year 3 plan so will he be told that the club expects him to achieve that plan.
Will he  be given the funds to achieve that.
Will the new manager have promotion especially from league 1 on his CV.
Will we see quality players signed to ensure progression this season.
Will we let top players leave to give funds to get new players.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on June 04, 2018, 10:50:27 pm by swintonrover »
I reckon the only reason he's stayed as long as he has is because of his Dad. If Sir Alex hadn't been taken ill before the last game of the season, he would have walked sooner. These rumours have been swilling since then.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on June 04, 2018, 10:50:33 pm by Filo »
Anyone else find it strange that the news broke on the LMA website first, and also the fact that we've heard nothing from Fergie for weeks, I wonder if this happened some time ago?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on June 04, 2018, 10:51:03 pm by StocksArmy »
How many players did DF give new contracts to and the board ended up paying up their contracts? I just wonder after looking at some of the dross he brought in this season if they lost faith. I certainly did.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on June 04, 2018, 10:51:13 pm by PDX_Rover »
Bloody hell, anyone want to buy some razor blades?

The news is half an hour old. Let's wait till the club make their statement. Everyone is jumping in based on probably less than half the story.

Personally, I'm not too fussed to see him leave. I think he did a job, got us moving forward again, but his style of play had its limitations and his substitutions consistently baffled me. This is now an opportunity to appoint the right man to take us to the next level.

Agree totally Rob. He moved us forwards but had some pretty big limitations as a manager IMO.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on June 04, 2018, 10:51:56 pm by RoversAlias »

RA, we aren’t really much further forward than when Ferguson joined us though.
Maybe a few places on the league ladder.

This is very true Hound. However there's no denying that we've gone forward both years since relegation to League 2 which was certainly not a given at the time.  I remember dropping down to that level and thinking "we might be here a while now".

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on June 04, 2018, 10:53:08 pm by MachoMadness »
My feelings seem to be the same as everyone else's. Not arsed about Fergie. In fact I was about 60-40 in favour of him going anyway. However him leaving after announcing the retained list and everything is a pain. I hear SCWK is available though, got an eye for a player that lad.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on June 04, 2018, 10:54:28 pm by drfchound »
Maybe not on the pitch but it’s common knowledge how much the club has moved forward under Ferguson.

Agreed mate but we all know that what happens on the pitch is what brings the supporters in.
What goes on behind the scenes is not really important to the floating fans.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on June 04, 2018, 10:55:09 pm by PDX_Rover »

Crikey PDX, how high is that fence you are sitting on.

I have mixed feelings about Fergie. I think many do. He was the manager and had my support but there was something always a bit off IMO. Just how I feel. Ambivalent is the word.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on June 04, 2018, 10:56:28 pm by steve@dcfd »
Anyone else find it strange that the news broke on the LMA website first, and also the fact that we've heard nothing from Fergie for weeks, I wonder if this happened some time ago?
Ask Martin he will discuss this when he see Gavin and be able to tell you when the decision was made.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012