Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:09:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Next  (Read 21462 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Next
« Reply #60 on December 08, 2014, 04:36:01 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's cheaper to move goods there than workers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 08, 2014, 04:48:35 pm by IC1967 »
Not a good answer.

You obviously need educating in the basics of business. May I suggest you invest some money in the following book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Business-Dummies-Colin-Barrow/dp/0470978104

IC1967

• Forum Member

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 08, 2014, 06:16:15 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
It's the one I used to pass my Economics A-level.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on December 08, 2014, 07:51:01 pm by Filo »
Bear in mind that the roads are terrible and that distributing the manufactured goods is far more expensive than in the UK where the distribution of goods is much easier due to our modern infrastructure.

But Nige tells us that our journey times are longer, because the roads are clogged up by Jonny Foriegner!

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on December 08, 2014, 08:11:37 pm by Draytonian III »
Sports Direct head quarters are at Shirebrook and the majority of the staff there are Polish,but that has something to do with Mike Ashley,s ex wife running an employment agency,it's part of the divorce settlement

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on December 08, 2014, 10:53:44 pm by BobG »
This whole thread, and quite a few others, is totally bizarre. The drivel that 1967 spouts is unbelievable. I can't be the only one with a few letters after my name surely that knows this crap is simply intellectual masturbation?

Look 1967. when you've done some proper courses and read and understood some proper textbooks, then folk might take you a little bit more seriously. But until that day dawns, it's not even a decent giggle reading your boringly repetitive tripe. oh. And about letters after names. The relevant one right now for you to know is my MBA (Distinction). A decent AMBA uni too before you start carping on. Oh. And I've got plenty of others if you think that's not sufficient.

Your crap is priceless. Get a life. You must spend aeons making up such shedloads of rubbish.

BobG

Jenny

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on December 08, 2014, 10:59:03 pm by Jenny »
I'll have another go. Building a factory in the UK is not an unnecessary cost. It is an investment taken after lots of research. Next would not build the factory unless they thought it would be a good investment. Part of these calculations would be to do with their biggest cost - labour.

You seem to think they shouldn't build a factory in the UK as the Brits are inferior workers. You may well have a point but Next have decided they will take the risk because they can always get better workers from Poland. It's whats known as contingency planning. Something us serial entrepreneurs fully understand.

I doubt the biggest cost for Next is labour. I work for a huge retailer, our biggest cost isn't labour....

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 09, 2014, 12:57:56 am by IC1967 »
I don't know all the ins and outs of Next's costs but can assure you that labour is generally the biggest cost a business faces. Of course it depends on what industry you are in.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 09, 2014, 01:03:01 am by IC1967 »
This whole thread, and quite a few others, is totally bizarre. The drivel that 1967 spouts is unbelievable. I can't be the only one with a few letters after my name surely that knows this crap is simply intellectual masturbation?

Look 1967. when you've done some proper courses and read and understood some proper textbooks, then folk might take you a little bit more seriously. But until that day dawns, it's not even a decent giggle reading your boringly repetitive tripe. oh. And about letters after names. The relevant one right now for you to know is my MBA (Distinction). A decent AMBA uni too before you start carping on. Oh. And I've got plenty of others if you think that's not sufficient.

Your crap is priceless. Get a life. You must spend aeons making up such shedloads of rubbish.

BobG

I've got qualifications coming out of my ears but modesty prevents me from bragging about it. I've found that the best qualification you can have in life is common sense. I've learnt more from the university of life than I ever did reading text books. As a serial entrepreneur I reckon I could teach all those academics in universities that have never had a proper job a thing or two.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on December 09, 2014, 08:45:59 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I don't know all the ins and outs of Next's costs but can assure you that labour is generally the biggest cost a business faces. Of course it depends on what industry you are in.

That's a very fancy way of saying that you've been talking out of your arse as you know nothing about Next.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on December 09, 2014, 10:18:18 am by BobG »
It's Dunning-Kruger again Glyn. Indeed, this fantastic line proves the point - in Spades. Redoubled.

"the best qualification you can have in life is common sense"

That says it all. And him a bloke who reckons he knows enough to lecture us all. He's a charlatan - at best. Having shot holes in his academic qualifications, or lack of them, now he says we don't need them. Plonker.

Dunning-Kruger. He's an absolute classic.

BobG

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 09, 2014, 10:44:18 am by IC1967 »

That's a very fancy way of saying that you've been talking out of your arse as you know nothing about Next.

I may know next to nothing about the company but I do know this. Their HR department prefers Polish workers to British ones despite all the downsides of recruiting workers from a foreign country. That tells me all I need to know about the quality of potential British workers. They are perceived by Next to be inferior. They have experience of employing Brits and Poles so have good solid evidence to base their opinion on.

No wonder they advertised in Poland before Britain. It is the logical common sense thing to do and they should not be vilified for it.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on December 09, 2014, 11:05:32 am by Glyn_Wigley »
You're dodging the issue again - should the coalition you think are doing such a wonderful job be vilified for allowing it to happen?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on December 09, 2014, 11:18:51 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Yes which in retail in this area it isn't.  I'd imagine Jenny with the numbers in front of her in that industry knows more about it than you do...

You're also wrong that location isn't important.  The costs of logistics, transport and wages for those staff are much greater than cheaper imported labour.  Location is vital aswell in keeping sales higher.  The market has changed and the demand is for quick supply, so that has to come in aswell.  It's pointless having your distribution centre so far away that you can't get the goods there in day.

The issue isn't cheap labour, the issue is that it should be advertised in this country first.  Remember which parties favour making rules like this more common and which don't Glyn ;)

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 09, 2014, 11:29:27 am by IC1967 »
You're dodging the issue again - should the coalition you think are doing such a wonderful job be vilified for allowing it to happen?

Of course not. No issue dodged by me whatsoever. The less government interferes with business the better for the economy. Next were just doing what was best for the company, as they should.

Are you seriously advocating that Next should be employing 'inferior' Brits over 'superior' Poles? When running a company you have to do the best you can to ensure it's profitability. Many people rely on the success of the business where they work for their livelihood. A successful Next is good for Britain. It would be very remiss of Next to employ 'inferior' workers and potentially jeopardise the long term success of the company just to keep the leftie pc brigade happy.

Anyway, once again the main point in all this is totally missed. You're all banging on about Next being wrong to advertise in Poland first. Well, I've conclusively won that debate. The main subject for debate should be as follows:

Why, despite all the obvious downsides to recruiting foreign workers do Next prefer to do that when there is a plentiful supply of Brits on their doorstep?

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on December 09, 2014, 11:35:25 am by IC1967 »

Yes which in retail in this area it isn't.  I'd imagine Jenny with the numbers in front of her in that industry knows more about it than you do...

You're also wrong that location isn't important.  The costs of logistics, transport and wages for those staff are much greater than cheaper imported labour.  Location is vital aswell in keeping sales higher.  The market has changed and the demand is for quick supply, so that has to come in aswell.  It's pointless having your distribution centre so far away that you can't get the goods there in day.

The issue isn't cheap labour, the issue is that it should be advertised in this country first.  Remember which parties favour making rules like this more common and which don't Glyn ;)

I'm quite happy to bow to Jenny's superior knowledge on this one. I am nothing if not magnanimous.

For the avoidance of any doubt I would just like the other readers to know that the second paragraph above is aimed at Mr Wigley not me. BFYP has inadvertently posted in such a way that this was not obvious to the more gullible of you out there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:37:37 am by IC1967 »

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on December 09, 2014, 11:41:15 am by Glyn_Wigley »

Of course not. No issue dodged by me whatsoever. The less government interferes with business the better for the economy. Next were just doing what was best for the company, as they should.

It would be more beneficial to the economy for the government to stop Next doing this but instead taking UK workers off benefits and making them into taxpayers.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 09, 2014, 11:44:09 am by Glyn_Wigley »

I'm quite happy to bow to Jenny's superior knowledge on this one. I am nothing if not magnanimous.

For the avoidance of any doubt I would just like the other readers to know that the second paragraph above is aimed at Mr Wigley not me. BFYP has inadvertently posted in such a way that this was not obvious to the more gullible of you out there.

It was because you were maintaining that labour costs were the most important thing I was questioning the location of the business. But then, I was stupid to actually contemplate believing anything you say.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 09, 2014, 11:51:46 am by IC1967 »

It would be more beneficial to the economy for the government to stop Next doing this but instead taking UK workers off benefits and making them into taxpayers.

I can see your point and it would be great if what you said was realistic. Unfortunately it is fantasy land and if companies were forced to operate in the manner you want they'd soon go out of business. this would be very bad for the economy. Companies have to do all they can to be profitable. What you are advocating would make them less profitable. A cardinal sin in running a business.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on December 09, 2014, 12:19:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
No doubt you're happy for hordes of profitable companies to cheat this country by tax-dodging the way they do as well.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on December 09, 2014, 12:50:06 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

For the avoidance of doubt for other more intelligent readers, it was aimed at you also.  You spouted about infrastructure in this country which is actually still very expensive.  It is also only any good for this country.  Not many retailers have European bases here, just UK bases.  The reason - cost and infrastructure.

Thus you're wrong again there.

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 09, 2014, 02:42:04 pm by IC1967 »

For the avoidance of doubt for other more intelligent readers, it was aimed at you also.  You spouted about infrastructure in this country which is actually still very expensive.  It is also only any good for this country.  Not many retailers have European bases here, just UK bases.  The reason - cost and infrastructure.

Thus you're wrong again there.

I think you must have misinterpreted what I've said. I totally agree with your comments except the one where you said I was wrong again. I'd be grateful if you would point out where I said location isn't important.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on December 09, 2014, 10:51:51 pm by BobG »
Do you know anything about footy 1967?

BobG

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on December 09, 2014, 11:42:06 pm by Dagenham Rover »

BobG

:lol: I would suggest no,  however he/she does seem to appear more on matchdays but doesn't appear on the football related threads  ;)

IC1967

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on December 09, 2014, 11:58:07 pm by IC1967 »

BobG

I consider myself to be an expert on footy. I don't post much on the footy forum apart from stoutly defending our excellent manager now and then. I prefer a statistical approach when analysing a game but this seems to be frowned upon by the mods so has put me off contributing as there's always a good chance that my posts will get deleted. I can take a hint. It's a shame as I feel I'd have a lot to contribute. I feel the team would be doing better if I was allowed to post freely as Mr Dickov would be able to read my excellent advice and improve team performance.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on December 10, 2014, 12:09:52 am by Dagenham Rover »
frigging brilliant  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on December 10, 2014, 09:58:27 am by BobG »
That's a simply splendid answer 1967. It tells every single one of us, plain and simple, exactly what you are. Well done.

Good question btw Bob!

Cheers

BobG

donnyproletarian

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on December 10, 2014, 11:11:20 am by donnyproletarian »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012