Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:58:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations  (Read 311128 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Negotiations
« Reply #1740 on July 09, 2018, 04:48:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This was all eminently clear when she lost her majority and mandate at the last election. But shr trundled along regardless.
That was different. She could continue in Denial Mode. Something might have turned up. Plus, she was a useful lightning conductor for the rest of the party. She had f**ked up tgeir position and no one wanted to be responsible for sorting out the mess.

Now it’s different. There’s no time for anything to turn up to save her. Her pride and her reputation and her position in the history books are all irrevocably destroyed. She thought she could control the destructive centripetal forces in the Tory party but they have destroyed her. She has nothing left.

Word is that as we speak, she’s being given an ultimatum by Brexit supporting MPs: Dutch the Chequers agreement and go for something harder or we are ousting you.

Her authority and her self-respect are in pieces. What is the point in her agreeing to an ultimatum like that, knowing that it would be rejected either by Brussels or by Parliament? Far better to gather what pride you have left and be the mistress of your own destiny.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #1741 on July 09, 2018, 05:00:35 pm by Pancho Regan »
Gove will be Foreign Secretary tonight. Possibly PM by this time next week.

I can't even contemplate the prospect of Gove as PM.
I think I'd do my own version of 'Brexit'.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1742 on July 09, 2018, 05:15:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Gove will be Foreign Secretary tonight. Possibly PM by this time next week.

I can't even contemplate the prospect of Gove as PM.
I think I'd do my own version of 'Brexit'.

I can't think of one credible option that could carry the party with them, let alone Parliament or the country.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1743 on July 09, 2018, 05:20:07 pm by wilts rover »
I think history will look upon Cameron as the villain of the piece. A man who drove the country to austerity and pandered to small section of is own party to pose a ludicrous question that never made sense as a single vote to the British public.

I'm mildly happy that, even just for a brief moment, Johnson is out of the British government and Gove is not the secretary for brexit as some were suggesting was possible late last night. Thank f**k for that.

Politicians have an incredible talent for self-preservation. I wouldn't underestimate May's ability to navigate this. She's a post ideological politician anyway, she'll floats like the wind, happy to ride a shit storm.

Oh clearly Cameron will get the stick he deserves - but dont forget he left May with a majority to do what she wanted - and what she wanted was to impose Brexit without involving parliament and had to be taken to court over it. That was planned to be a 'hard' Brexit and it was only the loss of that majority which stopped it. This Chequers' 'soft' Brexit proposal is no more than political opportunism to someone who has run out of options.

If Cameron was the worst Tory leader since Chamberlain - May is the worst Ever!

I reckon she will stick around to see what happens with the Trade & Customs Bills next week - but wouldn't be surprised if she went at the 1922 meeting tonight.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1744 on July 09, 2018, 05:26:24 pm by wilts rover »
The Tory Party membership is about 80% hard Brexiteers so if May does go they will demand a Brexiteer leader. There is no way that a hard Brexit will get through Parliament. There has to be a general election.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1745 on July 09, 2018, 05:27:50 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I think history will look upon Cameron as the villain of the piece. A man who drove the country to austerity and pandered to small section of is own party to pose a ludicrous question that never made sense as a single vote to the British public.

I'm mildly happy that, even just for a brief moment, Johnson is out of the British government and Gove is not the secretary for brexit as some were suggesting was possible late last night. Thank f**k for that.

Politicians have an incredible talent for self-preservation. I wouldn't underestimate May's ability to navigate this. She's a post ideological politician anyway, she'll floats like the wind, happy to ride a shit storm.

Oh clearly Cameron will get the stick he deserves - but dont forget he left May with a majority to do what she wanted - and what she wanted was to impose Brexit without involving parliament and had to be taken to court over it. That was planned to be a 'hard' Brexit and it was only the loss of that majority which stopped it. This Chequers' 'soft' Brexit proposal is no more than political opportunism to someone who has run out of options.

If Cameron was the worst Tory leader since Chamberlain - May is the worst Ever!

I reckon she will stick around to see what happens with the Trade & Customs Bills next week - but wouldn't be surprised if she went at the 1922 meeting tonight.

She won't go because of the 1922 Committee. The rumour is there's enough numbers to instigate a vote of No Confidence but my gut is that she'd survive it because the thought of what the alternative would be is enough to make enough MPs vote for the status quo.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1746 on July 09, 2018, 05:31:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
The Tory Party membership is about 80% hard Brexiteers so if May does go they will demand a Brexiteer leader. There is no way that a hard Brexit will get through Parliament. There has to be a general election.
And that is why the swivel-eyed loons and the Brexit press were so rabidly against Parliament having a say on the final deal. A tiny number of Tory MPs and Tory members have hijacked Brexit and have tried to drive it in a very specific way that THEY want, but that the country never voted for. This is their last stand.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1747 on July 09, 2018, 05:43:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Bloody 'ell. Rees-Smugg has just piped up saying he'd turn down the post of Foreign Secretary. As if May would offer it to him in a million years!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1748 on July 09, 2018, 07:24:31 pm by bpoolrover »
if there was a general election now what difference would it make? I doubt the result would be any different as I know so many labour voters that will not vote while Corbyn is leader, and even if they did win we would still be in the same position as we are now, labour have been calling for parliament to give a final say on brexit, unless they got a huge majority the Tory and labour brexiteers would just stop it going thru causing a no deal

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1749 on July 09, 2018, 07:33:03 pm by bpoolrover »
BFCx3. You don't lean left? Seriously?
Anyway, it doesn't matter which way you lean as there's no doubt this lot are in a mess. Which unfortunately equates to the country being in a mess.
So we're left with a government who are struggling to govern. And an opposition who would give us John Mcdonnell in charge of the country's finances and Diane Abbott in charge of the country's security.
And that's before you even think about good old Jezza sucking up to terrorists.
So basically we're fcuked.
Can anyone ever remember when this country been so bereft of decent politicians?
I felt sorry for the Americans having the choice of Trump or Clinton.
I'm beginning to think we're in a worse position than them. [xx(] this is off the Blackpool board and I think a very accurate statement

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1750 on July 09, 2018, 07:53:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BPool

John McDonnell’s economic policies are textbook economics. There is nothing remotely dangerous about them. They are policies that Harold MacMillan would have been comfortable with.

It’s the Tory Party's Austerity economic which is the bizarre approach, unsupported by either theory or experience and deeply, deeply damaging to the country. 

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1751 on July 09, 2018, 09:02:23 pm by MachoMadness »
Jeremy Hunt new foreign sec. Jesus f**king H Christ.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1752 on July 09, 2018, 09:07:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
A Kitson followed by a Hunt.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1753 on July 09, 2018, 09:32:10 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I bet the Foreign Office were celebrating until about an hour ago. Jubilation in the NHS though!

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1754 on July 09, 2018, 09:38:18 pm by MachoMadness »
Bringing his cool, collected, charming PR skills to international diplomacy.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PeN3fkzmQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PeN3fkzmQ</a>

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1755 on July 09, 2018, 10:26:40 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Bringing his cool, collected, charming PR skills to international diplomacy.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PeN3fkzmQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0PeN3fkzmQ</a>

Even he is better than the tactless gobshite that was his predecessor.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1756 on July 09, 2018, 10:56:00 pm by MachoMadness »
True. But somehow I suspect more cabinet reshuffles are in the near future anyway. Starting with the Prime Minister.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1757 on July 09, 2018, 11:23:42 pm by bpoolrover »
BPool

John McDonnell’s economic policies are textbook economics. There is nothing remotely dangerous about them. They are policies that Harold MacMillan would have been comfortable with.

It’s the Tory Party's Austerity economic which is the bizarre approach, unsupported by either theory or experience and deeply, deeply damaging to the country. 
not sure he is such a nice person thou bst is he not the same guy that wanted certain ira terrorists honoured and had a plaque of them or something in his office?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1758 on July 09, 2018, 11:56:14 pm by SydneyRover »
Shffling the deckchairs ......... has never been a more accurate statement, the situation is beyond funny and is pretty much beyond nightmare. Is it possible to arrest the government under the Treason Act?

Under the law of the United Kingdom, high treason is the crime of disloyalty to the Crown. ... The last treason trial was that of William Joyce, "Lord Haw-Haw", who was executed by hanging in 1946. Since the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 became law, the maximum sentence for treason in the UK has been life imprisonment.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1759 on July 09, 2018, 11:59:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Long time ago Bpool.

At the same time, our PM was shaking hands with, and eulogising a Presisent who had presided over the murder, torture and disappearance of thousands in Chile.

You want my take? Labour’s foreign policy scares the living bejaysus out of me. It’s not grown up from 1980s student union debates. But their economic policies are bang on the money. What McDonnell may, or may not have said about terrorists is irrelevant to his competence to do the job of Chancellor.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1760 on July 10, 2018, 12:13:59 am by bpoolrover »
He might be great at the job but with views like his he should be nowhere near British politics, but everyone to there own

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1761 on July 10, 2018, 12:25:46 am by SydneyRover »
He might be great at the job but with views like his he should be nowhere near British politics, but everyone to there own

So whos views do we look to to run the country? if the hard right take over the government maybe the people will finally take to the streets to demand the obvious, No Hard Brexit, No Soft Brexit, just NO BREXIT.

Cameron & May have run the country like a privately owned company and have made and implemented the rules to suit their own selfish ideals.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1762 on July 10, 2018, 12:43:25 am by bpoolrover »
Not someone who thinks a terrorist group who targeted innocent children women and men should be given honours, when in this country have views like this
Been accepted? If I
Praised a terrorist group on here I would be slaughtered and banned, he should not be at the forefront of any political party

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1763 on July 10, 2018, 12:46:28 am by bpoolrover »
To the other part of your question Sydney I don't have a answer as the tories are not doing a great job at the minute, but would labour do any better, I'm not sure they would, with people
Like corbyn abbot and macdonald I think not, now if you got rid of them and Andy burnham was in charge he might get my vote
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:57:41 am by bpoolrover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1764 on July 10, 2018, 07:44:07 am by idler »
I wonder how different Britain's policies and future would have been without the untimely death of John Smith.
I'm sure that a lot of the mess would have been avoided.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1765 on July 10, 2018, 07:48:16 am by DonnyOsmond »
Brexiteers, what's the ideal realistic Brexit you imagine?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1766 on July 10, 2018, 08:30:29 am by SydneyRover »
I wonder how different Britain's policies and future would have been without the untimely death of John Smith.
I'm sure that a lot of the mess would have been avoided.

There you go Idler, its a little out of date but .....................

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/remembering-john-smith-20-years-on-what-would-his-government-have-looked-like-9357017.html

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #1767 on July 10, 2018, 10:26:51 am by Boomstick »
We've tried playing nice, with no result from Brussels.
Time to stop talking to them, put the effort into forging new relationships and trade deals with the rest of the globe.
f**k the eu, time for a hard brexit.
It's not the end of the world.

A semi brexit would be much worse.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1768 on July 10, 2018, 10:29:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
How have we been “playing nice” and how has that been rebuffed?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1769 on July 10, 2018, 10:35:04 am by MachoMadness »
We've tried playing nice, with no result from Brussels.
Time to stop talking to them, put the effort into forging new relationships and trade deals with the rest of the globe.
f**k the eu, time for a hard brexit.
It's not the end of the world.

A semi brexit would be much worse.
How have we been playing nice? We haven't been playing at all yet. We've only just decided what rules we're going to play under and loads of the government resigned over it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012