Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:26:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This season  (Read 14894 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: This season
« Reply #30 on July 18, 2018, 12:19:25 pm by since-1969 »
  If it's any consolation it is the same at Spurs, and look where they are.
How so ? What is the turn over of the two clubs £100s millions Spurs against £4/5 Millions ! Rovers .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on July 18, 2018, 12:20:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
On evidence so far like others I am sceptical that the budget, resources are big enough or have grown from last year.

Both GB and GM when asked said the budget/ resources were atop six budget for league 1.

It was also said by GB they don’t have to sell anybody to bring new players in.

The board are there to help the manager is what was said. If the manager made a decision to bring in a player then it could happen if the player was better than what we have got and at the right price.

So we can all be sceptical but GM makes the decisions according to GB and he at the moment is looking for a forward player and nothing else is in the pipeline.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on July 18, 2018, 12:30:01 pm by mpc123 »
I cant believe people are still debating the budget based on the report that GM is done, it's so old news that it was taken out of context. There is still budget left of GM decided he wants more players.

I personally believe we probably need a CM at least but currently it looks like GM doesn't think that, but has anyone really asked that question directly, the answer would be no.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on July 18, 2018, 12:36:27 pm by steve@dcfd »
I cant believe people are still debating the budget based on the report that GM is done, it's so old news that it was taken out of context. There is still budget left of GM decided he wants more players.

I personally believe we probably need a CM at least but currently it looks like GM doesn't think that, but has anyone really asked that question directly, the answer would be no.

His answer last night was he has six players for the three in midfield and there are no plans for any more. So he did answer directly last night.
This decision has come from seeing players in training and pre season so far and after the AG scenario.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on July 18, 2018, 12:38:37 pm by mpc123 »
Great thanks, well he knows more than me so I'm happy with that

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 18, 2018, 12:43:22 pm by dickos1 »

It’s pretty irrelevant what people say. It’s what actually happens. If McCann thinks that the squad is good enough now to challenge then he’s going to get a pretty big shock

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 18, 2018, 12:47:32 pm by Copps is Magic »
He watched all the games from last season, so hes based his stance on the same level of understanding as me or you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:53:36 pm by Copps is Magic »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on July 18, 2018, 01:07:43 pm by dickos1 »
Well maybe he has and football is all about opinions but in my opinion with the players we currently have and the size of the squad as it is now we will struggle
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 01:16:48 pm by dickos1 »

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on July 18, 2018, 01:19:59 pm by mpc123 »
My opinion is we will improve, defensively we were ok last season, we now have Andrews back which will improve that. Going forward we weren't great.The formation change and the new players bought in with speed will also improve that.

How much improvement is yet to be seen.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on July 18, 2018, 01:21:56 pm by RoversAlias »
We will see won't we Dickos. Last summer we all said our defence was nowhere near good enough to cope in this league. Yet without signing a soul (since Andrew missed the whole year) we had an excellent defensive record and players we already had stepped up beyond what we thought they would. The same could happen again.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on July 18, 2018, 01:39:35 pm by silent majority »
If we have a bigger budget than previously (which I have no reason to doubt) and we haven’t used it all yet it just means there’s plenty left in the pot.
Maybe we need to keep some back to pay a decent contribution to some good quality PL loanees  once they announce their squads?

I agree but the manager has implied nothing else will be done. And he’s happy.
I understand the board didn’t want us to know Ferguson left because his budget has been slashed but if we started the season tomorrow then that would be the only conclusion available

You're still desperately trying to make the facts and your opinion to merge somehow.

We had this discussion when DF left about the budget, and despite what everybody from the top of the club downwards has said you still choose not to believe them. Why is your opinion the only conclusion available?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on July 18, 2018, 01:41:12 pm by dickos1 »
Yes we could
But this post wasn’t really about whether our squad is good enough or not it was more about us being told the budget would be bigger this season and Ferguson hasn’t been informed the budget would be smaller which left confusion as to why he left.
Maybe they’ve changed their Stance, maybe we’re signing two players next week on decent wages but all I’m suggesting is if the season started tomorrow our wage bill would be distinctly smaller than last season

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on July 18, 2018, 01:43:40 pm by dickos1 »
If we have a bigger budget than previously (which I have no reason to doubt) and we haven’t used it all yet it just means there’s plenty left in the pot.
Maybe we need to keep some back to pay a decent contribution to some good quality PL loanees  once they announce their squads?

I understand the board didn’t want us to know Ferguson left because his budget has been slashed but if we started the season tomorrow then that would be the only conclusion available

You're still desperately trying to make the facts and your opinion to merge somehow.

We had this discussion when DF left about the budget, and despite what everybody from the top of the club downwards has said you still choose not to believe them. Why is your opinion the only conclusion available?

All due respect Martin but what we get told doesn’t mean that much if the opposite is what is happening.
Nobody can suggest our wage bill now is greater than it was in May.
But yes there is still time, all I’m suggesting is if we get no more signings then there is no way on earth we’ve spent the money this season that we did last.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on July 18, 2018, 01:58:05 pm by silent majority »

All due respect Martin but what we get told doesn’t mean that much if the opposite is what is happening.
Nobody can suggest our wage bill now is greater than it was in May.
But yes there is still time, all I’m suggesting is if we get no more signings then there is no way on earth we’ve spent the money this season that we did last.

But that's a different argument to the one you've just made. You've made two points;

1) The board have slashed the budget which is why DF left.

2) The wage bill (going on your estimates) proves that is the only conclusion.

Neither of the above is correct. GB and GM both stated that the budget was OK last night. Why would they try to spin anything? This club has a habit of trying to put as much into the public domain as possible and to encourage engagement with supporters by doing so.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on July 18, 2018, 02:05:08 pm by dickos1 »
Martin I’ve not suggested that the budget has been slashed at all.
I’ve re read my post and you can read it that way, what I meant was I understand that if they were slashing the budget they wouldn’t want us to know this, I didn’t mean they have.

My estimates? Williams, baudry, evina et al were on more than the players that have come in.

Trying to suggest otherwise is what worries me

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on July 18, 2018, 02:13:54 pm by mpc123 »
But if you still have loads left of the budget and the manager chooses not to use it all yet and possibly save the remaining until Jan, what can you do.

He is not going to spend it just to convince supporters, who feel the need to ask the question, that we actually have a bigger budget.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on July 18, 2018, 02:15:37 pm by silent majority »
Martin I’ve not suggested that the budget has been slashed at all.
I’ve re read my post and you can read it that way, what I meant was I understand that if they were slashing the budget they wouldn’t want us to know this, I didn’t mean they have.

My estimates? Williams, baudry, evina et al were on more than the players that have come in.

Trying to suggest otherwise is what worries me

OK.  But lets look at your 3 players, Evina was on peanuts, Baudry wasn't on a high wage either, he came to us with a question around his fitness and was paid accordingly. That only leaves Williams. And that doesn't take into account having to renegotiate contracts for some of our players that we want to keep for the future.

Nothing is cut and dried.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 18, 2018, 02:15:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
I'd have thought the answer to 'spin' is obvious, Martin, and has been answered - season tickets!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 18, 2018, 02:19:57 pm by dickos1 »
I did say et al.
So even if those three players were on the same as the three that have come in they definitely aren’t by the way. Then even purely on numbers we’ve had more players leave us since May than what have joined us. And that’s irrespective of the fact that the ones leaving were on bigger wages

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on July 18, 2018, 02:20:55 pm by silent majority »
I'd have thought the answer to 'spin' is obvious, Martin, and has been answered - season tickets!

Really? It' would be an underhand way of doing it, and I doubt that there's anybody currently employed by the club that would be happy to mislead the supporters in order to achieve that. I seriously think that's a shocking thing to say.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on July 18, 2018, 02:22:59 pm by silent majority »
I did say et al.
So even if those three players were on the same as the three that have come in they definitely aren’t by the way. Then even purely on numbers we’ve had more players leave us since May than what have joined us. And that’s irrespective of the fact that the ones leaving were on bigger wages

Don't doubt that. But you're comparing two different time periods, one was the end of a season and one is nearly the start of another. The budget will last for the next nine months, it has to, so it's premature to judge it right now.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on July 18, 2018, 02:35:24 pm by dickos1 »
I agree it’s early
I just feel currently the wage bill is significantly less than it was last season.
And going into this season as we are wouldn’t be fair on McCann, he’d be getting slagged off almost immediately and not fair on the fans who’ve been told our budget will be greater this season.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on July 18, 2018, 02:43:02 pm by silent majority »
I agree it’s early
I just feel currently the wage bill is significantly less than it was last season.
And going into this season as we are wouldn’t be fair on McCann, he’d be getting slagged off almost immediately and not fair on the fans who’ve been told our budget will be greater this season.
But he's the one choosing where and how to spend it. When it comes to 'footballing' issues the board try not to influence him.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on July 18, 2018, 02:47:38 pm by RoversAlias »
It seems to have been clarified last night by Baldwin and McCann that the budget is bigger but they just haven't chosen to spend all of the available money. That's pretty simple, having a bigger budget doesn't necessarily mean spending all the money in it for the sake of it. If the manager doesn't believe he needs to spend it all right now then that's down to him.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on July 18, 2018, 02:49:17 pm by silent majority »
It seems to have been clarified last night by Baldwin and McCann that the budget is bigger but they just haven't chosen to spend all of the available money. That's pretty simple, having a bigger budget doesn't necessarily mean spending all the money in it for the sake of it. If the manager doesn't believe he needs to spend it all right now then that's down to him.

Agreed, which is what I said last week.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on July 18, 2018, 03:07:01 pm by dickos1 »
To be honest, I’m sure McCann is happy to be in work and he’s certainly not going to bemoan a lack of funds within weeks of taking the job.
Everyone within football knows you need to have your squad right in august January is there if you’re panicking or if another manager is now in charge.
Williams was one of our biggest earners and we’ve replaced him with a kid on loan and a kid from non league.
We’re just not equipped at all for any injuries and there’s no loan market available once the season starts.

As you know I’m usually more positive than most and am constantly accused of having rose tinted specs with all thing rovers.
But right now I’m as worried as I’ve been for a long time

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on July 18, 2018, 03:12:34 pm by mpc123 »
That's your opinion I don't agree, a william style wouldn't fit in 4 3 3, just because we have bought in different types doesn't mean they wont ne alot more effective than William's, which wouldn't be hard to be honest

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on July 18, 2018, 03:41:31 pm by dickos1 »
Never said they would be any less effective, but they’re cheaper, much cheaper.
So if that’s the route we’re going down then tell us

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on July 18, 2018, 04:20:56 pm by The Red Baron »
Point of information - we only once failed to fill the bench in a League game last season. That was when Alcock was injured in the warm up before the Southend game.

Yes, sometimes we had youngsters on the bench, but that can assist their development, so shouldn't be seen as a negative.

I half get your point Baron..And you are right when you say that it aids their development..However lets not forget what the main priority is and that's first team league results and position, so that has to be balanced..And their were far to many times last season when we were struggling a bit and you looked at our bench on who could change the game and there wasn't anybody..With a even smaller squad this year any type of injury issues and lets be honest for us they happen every year,we are going to be in trouble..

We had very few game-changers, period. Those that could change a game tended to be on the pitch from the start if available. However, I did think the constant focus on formations inhibited us last season. Time will tell if the players are more comfortable with the way McCann plays.

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on July 18, 2018, 04:22:07 pm by phil old leake »
The ones that left may have been big earners but Anderson hasn’t come for minimum wage

TinyPortal © 2005-2012