Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:57:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This season  (Read 14969 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: This season
« Reply #90 on July 18, 2018, 07:46:02 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I vote for a big brawl in car park 1 to put an end to the repetitive debates.

We'll have to be quick or there might not be enough people to have one soon!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on July 18, 2018, 07:50:02 pm by dickos1 »
I know why Ferguson left, it was just portrayed differently.

Given that Ferguson has never said anything in public about why he left, I'm sure we'd all be interested to know what you think you know.

What I think I know 🙄
Ok Glyn.

Ah, so he told you in person and that it was a secret, eh?

I said I know, I’m not really interested in who believes me or not. I stated at the time why he left and what had been happening from December onwards.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on July 18, 2018, 07:52:42 pm by dickos1 »
If we start the season with the squad we have now then yes I’d be predicting bottom half at xmas.
Once the season starts I’ll be back to my rose tinted, blinkered best 😉
But looking at us at the minute it’s a big worry

That’s your opinion dickos but your like a dog with a bone, anyone who has a differing opinion you attack it and reiterate yours again and you do it in every thread you post in.

Not really no, the original post simply asked if the budget is bigger than last year then why isn’t it being used.
Maybe it will be, but if we don’t sign any more experienced players then the conclusion is the budget isn’t as big.
Nobody can suggest to me that McCann wouldn’t want to sign better players if he had the money to do so

wesisback

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on July 18, 2018, 07:58:26 pm by wesisback »
Martin I’ve not suggested that the budget has been slashed at all.
I’ve re read my post and you can read it that way, what I meant was I understand that if they were slashing the budget they wouldn’t want us to know this, I didn’t mean they have.

My estimates? Williams, baudry, evina et al were on more than the players that have come in.

Trying to suggest otherwise is what worries me

OK.  But lets look at your 3 players, Evina was on peanuts, Baudry wasn't on a high wage either, he came to us with a question around his fitness and was paid accordingly. That only leaves Williams. And that doesn't take into account having to renegotiate contracts for some of our players that we want to keep for the future.

Nothing is cut and dried.
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/cedric-evina-offered-very-good-salary-by-doncaster-rovers-claims-crawley-boss-1-6728173

Before anyone harps the usual hollow words I'll say it for you "I think I'd rather be trusting the words of our owners than these numerous other sources"

This is kind of what I mean, we’re just being fed what we want to hear

Or possibly in negotiations the agent tried to get the offer upped from Crawley and exaggerated what we had offered. Or we just pay more than them and it was low compared to the rest of our players average.

It seems people want an eastenders saga
We then renegotiated his contract to hold onto him for a longer period of time. Now I'm not one to call something smelling off, but Evina wasn't on peanuts. It isn't the a lack of spending that irks me it's the deceit.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on July 18, 2018, 08:08:50 pm by DearneValleyRover »
If we start the season with the squad we have now then yes I’d be predicting bottom half at xmas.
Once the season starts I’ll be back to my rose tinted, blinkered best 😉
But looking at us at the minute it’s a big worry

That’s your opinion dickos but your like a dog with a bone, anyone who has a differing opinion you attack it and reiterate yours again and you do it in every thread you post in.

Not really no, the original post simply asked if the budget is bigger than last year then why isn’t it being used.
Maybe it will be, but if we don’t sign any more experienced players then the conclusion is the budget isn’t as big.
Nobody can suggest to me that McCann wouldn’t want to sign better players if he had the money to do so

Yes really because when someone gives a differing opinion you attack it

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on July 18, 2018, 08:09:47 pm by dickos1 »
Where have I attacked anybody?
Dear me

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on July 18, 2018, 08:09:59 pm by mpc123 »
Martin I’ve not suggested that the budget has been slashed at all.
I’ve re read my post and you can read it that way, what I meant was I understand that if they were slashing the budget they wouldn’t want us to know this, I didn’t mean they have.

My estimates? Williams, baudry, evina et al were on more than the players that have come in.

Trying to suggest otherwise is what worries me

OK.  But lets look at your 3 players, Evina was on peanuts, Baudry wasn't on a high wage either, he came to us with a question around his fitness and was paid accordingly. That only leaves Williams. And that doesn't take into account having to renegotiate contracts for some of our players that we want to keep for the future.

Nothing is cut and dried.
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/cedric-evina-offered-very-good-salary-by-doncaster-rovers-claims-crawley-boss-1-6728173

Before anyone harps the usual hollow words I'll say it for you "I think I'd rather be trusting the words of our owners than these numerous other sources"

This is kind of what I mean, we’re just being fed what we want to hear

Or possibly in negotiations the agent tried to get the offer upped from Crawley and exaggerated what we had offered. Or we just pay more than them and it was low compared to the rest of our players average.

It seems people want an eastenders saga
We then renegotiated his contract to hold onto him for a longer period of time. Now I'm not one to call something smelling off, but Evina wasn't on peanuts. It isn't the a lack of spending that irks me it's the deceit.

Deceit lol, really. I give up it makes no difference what he was on why do you NEED to know. Your version of peanuts could be far different to mine or anybody else's.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on July 18, 2018, 08:27:33 pm by silent majority »
I struggle with a lot of this I really do. And yet the maths are simple.

Last season we had the 7th highest budget in the league (taken from the L1 SCMP benchmarking spreadsheet). We had one of the highest paid managers in the league.

We finished 15th.

This season we intend to spend more on the playing budget.  Some deceit that.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on July 18, 2018, 08:55:26 pm by mpc123 »

Last season we had the 7th highest budget in the league (taken from the L1 SCMP benchmarking spreadsheet). We had one of the highest paid managers in the league.

We finished 15th.

I think that says it all SM

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on July 18, 2018, 09:18:56 pm by dickos1 »

We finished 15th.

As Ive said all throughout, if we do spend some money these next two weeks then that’s great my concern was if we started tomorrow we would be in for a difficult season as we’ve not really strengthened at all

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on July 18, 2018, 09:32:51 pm by StocktonRover »
Has someone  hacked Dickos account?
Under Fergie he was Uber positive and optimistic but now Fergie has gone he’s the opposite.
Last year he would have defended far worse than this.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on July 18, 2018, 09:54:36 pm by dickos1 »
Not just under Fergie, I’ve been Uber positive and defiantly defended every manager we’ve had over the last 10 or so years on here against severe negativity as now doubt I will find myself doing in a few months.

That’s my main concern, McCann isn’t going to get a fair crack of the job and in a month or so everyone is going to be on his back
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:03:09 pm by dickos1 »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on July 18, 2018, 09:55:21 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
But we have strengthened, albeit with maybe not as many players as some might wish for. Even without anyone else, the return of Danny Andrew should be a boost. The new lad from Hamilton sounds a good addition and the loan lad from Leeds also could be a shrewd acquisition.

Sounds to me like we'll be more organised, direct in terms of moving the ball quicker and have more players getting in positions to have a pop at goal. Keep it simples.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on July 18, 2018, 09:57:54 pm by drfchound »
More players in the opposition box when attacking sounds good.
Too often last season we invariably only had one player getting in there to try to get on the end of a cross.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on July 18, 2018, 10:06:47 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We all want to see players playing without fear and at times last season and before, we capitulated. That's the mental approach and DF was responsible for that. If McCann does nothing else, other than deal with that alone, we will be play off contenders.

Now I'm not naive enough to think it's that simple but as many eluded to over DFs reign, square pegs in square holes is a start.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 18, 2018, 10:10:21 pm by Chris Black come back »
As a point of order, Dickos did call for Ferguson to be sacked, so it is unfair to portray him as a blind happy clapper.

The last guy was cack basically. He undershot expectations and budget in both seasons in League One. Being a flat track bully in League Two was not in the job description. Getting us competitive and out of League One certainly was. At no stage we were remotely this.

The new guy may or may not be better. We shall wait and see. 

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on July 18, 2018, 10:17:52 pm by coventryrover »
So so many conspiracy theorists on here it gives me a headache.   Mid June we have already made a number of signings.   

We haven’t made anymore because we have a new manager assessing what he already has to work with.   Quite sensible.

CEO notes we have money to spend.  Doesn’t give how much away as that would be stupid.  Sensible to me.

Alit of people here worrying, fretting and pr Biding opinion is fact.    It’s kike we’ve turned into a conspiracist theory organisation rather than a fan group☺️

Let’s just deal with the facts eh and give this football club of ours a chance.   Our job is to get behind the club, the team and the manager.   Can we try doing that for the once

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on July 19, 2018, 07:38:41 am by Donnybax »

We finished 15th.

I think the question should be why are we paying our players so much? Last season we didn’t have a player that had played above league 2 level the season before and yet we had the 7th highest budget?! Something is wrong.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 19, 2018, 07:48:37 am by NickDRFC »
Eh? Tommy Rowe has played for his whole career at Championship/League One, Copps obviously, Butler, Baudry have regularly played in League One, McCullough been with us in the Championship/League One...

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 19, 2018, 07:49:52 am by Donnybax »
Eh? Tommy Rowe has played for his whole career at Championship/League One, Copps obviously, Butler, Baudry have regularly played in League One, McCullough been with us in the Championship/League One...
and how many of those players had played above league 2 level the season before last? None.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 19, 2018, 08:13:16 am by pib »
Time (for me at least) to log off here until the new season I think.

There’s still around 3 weeks of the transfer window to go. The very last thing I expect the club to be saying publicly is “yeah we’ve got plenty still left to spend out of the budget and we are desperate for players in XYZ positions” because all that’s going to do is drive prices up.

I get some of the frustration because we do look a bit short of the club’s stated ambitions at this stage, but I don’t think now is the time for panic.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:17:22 am by pib »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on July 19, 2018, 08:40:00 am by silent majority »

We finished 15th.

I think the question should be why are we paying our players so much? Last season we didn’t have a player that had played above league 2 level the season before and yet we had the 7th highest budget?! Something is wrong.

Eh? We were in league 2, employing Championship and Lg1 players and buying ourselves out of Lg2. I don't see the relevance of your question. We were in Lg1 last season and therefore had to pay Lg1 wages.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 19, 2018, 11:37:58 am by Donnybax »
We were a team coming up from league 2. We didn’t add any players that had played above that level in the transfer window and we still had a budget that was the 7th best in league 1 behind teams like Wigan and Blackburn. I’m assuming some players had promotion bonuses but to go up to a league in which none of the squad were playing at or above that level and still have a budget that is the 7th highest is ridiculous.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on July 19, 2018, 12:40:47 pm by Pancho Regan »
Hang on..... do we now have a new debate about our budget being too big?!

Well, a change is as good as a rest I suppose....

;)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 20, 2018, 07:37:24 pm by drfchound »
As a point of order, Dickos did call for Ferguson to be sacked, so it is unfair to portray him as a blind happy clapper.

The last guy was cack basically. He undershot expectations and budget in both seasons in League One. Being a flat track bully in League Two was not in the job description. Getting us competitive and out of League One certainly was. At no stage we were remotely this.

The new guy may or may not be better. We shall wait and see.

Did dickos really call for Ferguson to be sacked?
If so it must have been during that ridiculous L1 relegation season because I can only remember him defending DF.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on July 20, 2018, 08:09:20 pm by dickos1 »
I was asked if he should be sacked if we lost to both Blackpool and Colchester over Easter.
I replied he probably should yes

Ever since then he’s been banging on about me calling for Ferguson to be sacked.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on November 14, 2018, 10:15:45 pm by dickos1 »
Interesting reading some of this from the summer, there were people predicting how we’d struggle once the injuries kicked in.
Also people suggesting McCann still has plenty of the budget left to use in jan.
Let’s hope so

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on November 14, 2018, 10:21:38 pm by mpc123 »
Strengthen it in Jan and kick on for a top 6 finish

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on November 14, 2018, 10:25:26 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We've just lost a mickey mouse trophy match playing a second string team with plenty of youngsters getting some game time and you chose to bring this up now?

Our form has dipped without doubt however confidence can be gained as well as lost. A sledgehammer to crack a nut may not be the right approach.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on November 14, 2018, 10:27:00 pm by drfchound »
We do need to stay in touch over the next six or seven weeks though.
We are far from out of the top six picture as things are right now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012