Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:25:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 371312 times)

RedJ

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1530 on February 10, 2019, 02:00:57 pm by RedJ »
Wasting your time IDM.
You're not going to change the minds of folk like AL. There's about 25% of the population who are utterly immune to any rational discussion on the topic.

The job is to get folk who actually engage with thinking about Brexit to realise the consequences.
you don’t discuss things thou bst, what you do is when someone puts any link up you don’t agree with you discredit whoever wrote it or you say look behind the headline, yet when you post stuff everything is off who you believe to be credible, albie posted that some labour want different things which could cause a problem and he is right, there are many labour voters who 1 won’t vote labour if Corbyn is leader and 2 if they go against brexit even if it does not say it in any link you no it to be true

Well er are you suggesting he should post things from people who he doesn't believe to be credible?...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1531 on February 11, 2019, 12:16:31 pm by Axholme Lion »
Brexit is happening. Deal with it. Just because a handful of you on here don't want it, don't think you represent the majority of people in the country.

Do you think it's still the majority opinion?

Yes. The silent majority.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1532 on February 11, 2019, 12:18:01 pm by Axholme Lion »
Wasting your time IDM.
You're not going to change the minds of folk like AL. There's about 25% of the population who are utterly immune to any rational discussion on the topic.

The job is to get folk who actually engage with thinking about Brexit to realise the consequences.

I don't care about the so called consequences. I voted for Brexit and that's what I want to see.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1533 on February 11, 2019, 12:37:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Aye. Precisely.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1534 on February 11, 2019, 12:38:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Brexit is happening. Deal with it. Just because a handful of you on here don't want it, don't think you represent the majority of people in the country.

How do you know? Have they told you?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #1535 on February 11, 2019, 12:47:46 pm by MachoMadness »
Wasting your time IDM.

I don't care about the so called consequences. I voted for Brexit and that's what I want to see.
Brexit in a nutshell. maybe they should put that on the side of a bus!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1536 on February 11, 2019, 01:48:39 pm by Axholme Lion »

No, they were silent.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1537 on February 11, 2019, 02:09:57 pm by drfchound »

No, they were silent.

Axholme, that is probably the best post you have made on here.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1538 on February 11, 2019, 02:14:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

It's the feed line that requires the genius in any comedy partnership.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1539 on February 11, 2019, 02:14:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
AL.

Oh! Bugger me! I did not spot that...

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1540 on February 11, 2019, 02:21:51 pm by Axholme Lion »

No, they were silent.

Axholme, that is probably the best post you have made on here.

I thank you all. You've been a wonderful audience.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1541 on February 11, 2019, 02:22:28 pm by Axholme Lion »
AL.

Oh! Bugger me! I did not spot that...

:)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1542 on February 11, 2019, 02:23:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Well, that's me owned then, int it?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1543 on February 11, 2019, 04:57:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This might well be the most thoughtful, subtle and poignant assessment of Brexit to date.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OFAHCentral/status/1085276716317200384

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1544 on February 12, 2019, 09:16:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47206303

So the Govt that gave a contract to provide freight crossing over the Channel to a company that had never operated a boat, running services out of a harbour that couldn't service ships is now being sued by the operator of a railway line under the Channel that says it could have provided the service if someone had picked up the phone.

Still, it's alright. We ARE giving £90m of UK taxpayers' money to a French company and a Danish company to plan for services that will never be needed. That's showing them Europeans what we mean by Taking Back Control.

Actually, seriously. What sort of monumental car crash f**k up does a Cabinet Minister have to be responsible for to lose their job these days. Not so long ago, Grayling would have been hoyed out the door weeks ago for this shambles. Now it's just business as usual.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #1545 on February 12, 2019, 10:03:23 am by bobjimwilly »
We also paid £800,000 to consultants to assess whether the ferry contract was worth it
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/11/incompetent-grayling-must-quit-over-brexit-ferry-deal-says-labour

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1546 on February 12, 2019, 10:28:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BJW.

Indeed. And two of the consultants raised issues about Seaborne Freight. And Grayling STILL went ahead with the contract.

By the way, that link at least explains why Eurotunnel wasn't invited to tender for the service.

Ewan West, representing Grayling, told the judge the process was only for “maritime freight” services and, therefore, Eurotunnel “could never have provided that capacity” and “could not have complied” with the terms of the contracts.

Let me take a big deep breath and paraphrase that.

A Lawyer for the Govt, paid for by thee and me, no doubt at several hundred quid an hour, is telling a judge that Eurotunnel wasn't invited to bid for a contract to increase the capacity of freight over the Channel in the event of a No Deal clusterf**k, because Grayling's Department had decided it only wanted to consider routes that went OVER the sea, not under it. And that is the BEST defence they can find?

I know the whole Brexit thing is based on us going back to some mythical time when Britannia ruled the waves and we were remotely aloof from Europe, but I didn't realise we were planning to ignore the fact that the Channel Tunnel was ever built.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1547 on February 12, 2019, 11:05:51 am by Donnywolf »
Grayling is an absoute joke and would be in any colour Government

Pity he will be long gone before his beloved Pacer Trains or Caravans on Rails disappear. He always rolls them out when challenged by anyone on the performance of the Rail system

However having said they would be here "by" 2019 the wording was altered right at the end of December 18 (buried in other news) to "be the end of" which gives them another year !

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1548 on February 12, 2019, 11:29:58 am by Bentley Bullet »
As a matter of perspective, the divorce bill we're paying to the EU is equivalent to the cost of more than THREE Euro tunnels!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:36:59 am by Bentley Bullet »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #1549 on February 12, 2019, 12:02:16 pm by RedJ »
Aye, and we're inflicting it upon ourselves...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1550 on February 12, 2019, 12:35:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yes BB. But that's a one-off payment, for things that we have already signed up to and will benefit from in the future.

The amount we've already lost in depressed economic performance since the referendum vote, would have paid for for 6 Channel Tunnels. And the projected loss of income if we go for a No Deal Brexit would pay for another another SIXTY on top of that.

All of those things are facts. The question then is, which ones do you put more emphasis on?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1551 on February 12, 2019, 12:44:18 pm by Not Now Kato »
As a matter of perspective, the divorce bill we're paying to the EU is equivalent to the cost of more than THREE Euro tunnels!

You weren't the guy on the BBC phone in the other day...................

"I think those within the EU who are trying to scupper Brexit, are the ones who stand to gain most from the £39bn divorce bill".

Yes, there are people out there who defy logic!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1552 on February 12, 2019, 03:09:16 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Billy, are those facts or predictions?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1553 on February 12, 2019, 03:17:24 pm by selby »
  Billy, you constantly bring up the funding of the UK by the EU.
   You know that we are a large net contributor to the EU, an undeniable fact.
   Official figures from the EU Commission itself show that  out of the 28 member states the UK ranks 24th out of the 28 as a beneficiary of the single market.
  And that  in a paper published by the CBI it was stated "trade between Eu member states is clearly a zero-sum game and we are really only talking about where the factories are built"? the factories were evidently not built in the UK.
  Most agreements/deals are more beneficial to the continental EU states than to the UK.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1554 on February 12, 2019, 03:52:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB. Do yourself a favour. Read what I write before knee-jerking into smart arse mode.

Selby. Have you got the link for that CBI quote? And I don't mean the letter in today's Yorkshire Post from  a Tory councillor.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1555 on February 12, 2019, 04:06:44 pm by Bentley Bullet »
BST. What is smart-arse mode about asking you if those figures are really facts like you claim them to be, or predictions?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1556 on February 12, 2019, 04:26:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Read what I wrote.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1557 on February 13, 2019, 03:27:09 am by SydneyRover »
BJW.

Indeed. And two of the consultants raised issues about Seaborne Freight. And Grayling STILL went ahead with the contract.

By the way, that link at least explains why Eurotunnel wasn't invited to tender for the service.

Ewan West, representing Grayling, told the judge the process was only for “maritime freight” services and, therefore, Eurotunnel “could never have provided that capacity” and “could not have complied” with the terms of the contracts.

Let me take a big deep breath and paraphrase that.

A Lawyer for the Govt, paid for by thee and me, no doubt at several hundred quid an hour, is telling a judge that Eurotunnel wasn't invited to bid for a contract to increase the capacity of freight over the Channel in the event of a No Deal clusterf**k, because Grayling's Department had decided it only wanted to consider routes that went OVER the sea, not under it. And that is the BEST defence they can find?

I know the whole Brexit thing is based on us going back to some mythical time when Britannia ruled the waves and we were remotely aloof from Europe, but I didn't realise we were planning to ignore the fact that the Channel Tunnel was ever built.
I think it's more likely BST that the proponents of brexit missed the opportunity to include Eurotunnel in any plan because they actually live in a reality well before Eurotunnel was built.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:56:31 am by SydneyRover »

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1558 on February 13, 2019, 12:40:53 pm by Not Now Kato »
Here's the NHS take on Brexit....

Physicians were unable to reach a consensus: Should Brexit take place? The Allergists were in favour of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had a sort of gut feeling about it but the Neurologists thought the Brexiters had a lot of nerve.

Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was labouring under a misconception, while the Opthalmologists considered the idea short sighted.

Pathologists yelled 'Over my dead body!' while the Paediatricians said 'Oh grow up!'

The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the radiologists could see right through it.

Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.

The plastic surgeons opined that May's proposal would " put a whole new face on the matter" The podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.

Anaesthesiologists thought it was all a gas and those lofty Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.

In the end the Proctologists won out leaving the entire decision up to the assholes in Parliament.

I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what the gynaecologists though of the politicians handling this whole mess....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1559 on February 13, 2019, 08:24:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47218687

Given May's track record, that means it WILL be her deal or a delay then.

She's building quite a track record.

Insisting there wasn't going to be a GE...before calling a GE.

Insisting she wasn't going to delay the meaningful vote...before delaying the meaningful vote.

Insisting she wasn't going to renegotiate the backstop...before renegotiating the backstop.

I've never known a PM more unconcerned about her public reputation for going back on her word. I wonder if she has any idea how the world sees her.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012