Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:54:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 371346 times)

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1590 on February 19, 2019, 12:30:00 am by bobjimwilly »
But, as I believe will be clear in their statement, they'd move it Brexit or not.

The statement will name other reasons alongside Brexit, but that's not to say they would have moved regardless by any stretch.

Surely no-one can say all these companies either closing down factories or moving their HQs out of the country within the last 12 months is one big coincidence? That would be absurd.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:09:47 am by bobjimwilly »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1591 on February 19, 2019, 10:25:41 pm by selby »
  It is easily sorted out, my father and his two friends fought in Burma, not one of them had anything in their house that was Japanese.
   He told me at a young age, if I bought a Japanese car he would disown me.
 It was never an issue, that was the way it was.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #1592 on February 20, 2019, 09:10:50 am by bobjimwilly »
  It is easily sorted out, my father and his two friends fought in Burma, not one of them had anything in their house that was Japanese.
   He told me at a young age, if I bought a Japanese car he would disown me.
 It was never an issue, that was the way it was.

So your answer is don't buy anything from any companies that choose to move away from the UK???

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1593 on February 20, 2019, 09:56:49 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
A better answer is this country trying to innovate and lead the future.  Why not take the lead on electric cars, create a new brand and move from there?  Isn't that the kind of thing tax breaks and investment should support?

We have the skill set to lead on this kind of stuff and are falling behind in some ways, that's a bigger concern than Brexit....

Honda were going no matter what happened for them it makes perfect sense to.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1594 on February 20, 2019, 10:55:42 am by selby »
  Yes, you don't have to tell the french and germans to do it, they do it anyway, treat them the same.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #1595 on February 20, 2019, 12:30:15 pm by bobjimwilly »
A better answer is this country trying to innovate and lead the future.  Why not take the lead on electric cars, create a new brand and move from there?  Isn't that the kind of thing tax breaks and investment should support?

We have the skill set to lead on this kind of stuff and are falling behind in some ways, that's a bigger concern than Brexit....

If there was an individual or company interested in doing that, they won't be doing it now I'm afraid, with the future tariffs on exporting cars post-brexit.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1596 on February 20, 2019, 03:29:48 pm by Not Now Kato »

If there was an individual or company interested in doing that, they won't be doing it now I'm afraid, with the future tariffs on exporting cars post-brexit.

Indeed. One only has to ask where the biggest market is, EU or UK.  Anyone wanting to build new technologically advanced cars, (electric), will want to build them where their biggest market is and where trade is simple and smooth.

Tariffs, queues and customs inspections at ports, plus shipping costs rather precludes anyone thinking the UK is a good place for manufacturing business; no matter how much expertise we like to think we have.

But don't worry, the car repair and maintenance business in the UK is set to bloom - if they can get the parts!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1597 on February 20, 2019, 03:33:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Or they'd set up the factories inside the Single Market, like the Japanese did in the UK..!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1598 on February 20, 2019, 04:07:29 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BFYP

I suggest you read The State We're In by Will Hutton.

25 years old but it's more relevant today than ever.

The problem is the way in which our politics and economics have, for generations, prioritised short-term profit taking over long term investment in capability. That is why German and Japan have high tech manufacturing on a massive scale and we don't.

Have a read of that book. It's eye opening and profoundly depressing.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1599 on February 20, 2019, 05:29:18 pm by wilts rover »

Well that's not what the chief ex of Honda said back in September.

As for developing electric cars - the leading proponent of Brexit in that field has decided to do his bit to promote British industry by moving production of them to Singapore. I wonder what attracted him to the de-regulated tax haven that has no effective workplace rights?

Although I am an opponent of Brexit, sometimes I am afraid you have to hold your hands up and say well done, you were right. The Brexiteer economist Patrick Minford said leaving the EU would mean the end of car manufacture in the UK and it should be left to die like coal and steel. Well there you are. That's what you voted for coming true.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1600 on February 24, 2019, 06:50:07 pm by Copps is Magic »
It's Jan 15th. The only practical solution now is to postpone article 50.

Get ready for a perpetual state of brexit.

As I was saying.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/24/brexit-could-be-delayed-until-2021-eu-sources-reveal

If you think about it, we're still very much close to, or on, day zero - the day right after the referendum. Nothing has technically been agreed, or looks like being agreed. So the path of least (economically damaging) resistance is to reenter negotiations that fits around the bureaucracy of the EU.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1601 on February 24, 2019, 08:54:20 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
There's a slight air of pathos about the whole thing.

May's one and only strategy in going back to Brussels is to try to convince them that she really is unhinged enough to seriously contemplate No Deal. Meanwhile, this weekend, some of the more grown up of her Cabinet ministers (and f**k me, it shows you're scraping the barrell when Amber Ruud is one of the better ones) have been gently patting her on the head and saying to the world, "She's tired. It's ok. We'll sort it out."

What a f**king embarrassment we are making of ourselves to the rest of the world.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1602 on February 24, 2019, 10:31:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
You are The Social Incompetent.

You are embarrassing your country on a daily basis. You are unable to function in public without looking awkwarder than a 13 year old lad caught with a nif mag. The President of Italy invites you to play pool. And be videoed.

Do you.
A) Say "f**k off"
B) Say "f**k off"
C) Say, "Aye alright."

https://mobile.twitter.com/GiuseppeConteIT/status/1099787057982001154

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1603 on February 24, 2019, 10:50:47 pm by Filo »
You are The Social Incompetent.

You are embarrassing your country on a daily basis. You are unable to function in public without looking awkwarder than a 13 year old lad caught with a nif mag. The President of Italy invites you to play pool. And be videoed.

Do you.
A) Say "f**k off"
B) Say "f**k off"
C) Say, "Aye alright."

https://mobile.twitter.com/GiuseppeConteIT/status/1099787057982001154

She’s mastered that cue action better than she’s mastered the brexit negotiations 😂😂😂😂😂

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1604 on February 24, 2019, 11:58:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Cue (no pun) my favourite British/Italian politician joke.

Gordon Brown and Silvio Berlusconi at a conference go out for a pub lunch.

Attractive barmaid asks them if there's anything they fancy.

Berlusconi looks up from the menu, winks and says "Any chance of a quickie?"

Barmaid slaps his face and walks off.

Gordon Brown leans over and says quietly, "Err... It's pronounced 'quiche' ".

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #1605 on February 25, 2019, 08:16:23 am by Axholme Lion »
 :lol:
Cue (no pun) my favourite British/Italian politician joke.

Gordon Brown and Silvio Berlusconi at a conference go out for a pub lunch.

Attractive barmaid asks them if there's anything they fancy.

Berlusconi looks up from the menu, winks and says "Any chance of a quickie?"

Barmaid slaps his face and walks off.

Gordon Brown leans over and says quietly, "Err... It's pronounced 'quiche' ".

:lol:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1606 on February 25, 2019, 09:50:18 am by selby »
  The biggest problem the European's have in front of them is a China and US trade deal.
   The easiest way to cut the trade deficit that the US has is by China importing more US made vehicles at the expense of the European manufactures. Add the lead the Us has in electric battery powered vehicles.
   The German economy has the largest threat in front of it since the 1930's 

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1607 on February 25, 2019, 10:35:53 am by foxbat »
As , by comparison , American cars are ugly and crap , the German car industry has nothing to fear.
We need to focus on the biggest threat to the UK since the 1930s , whilst the Tories continue to claim that a criminal funded , illegally run , right wing elitist inspired advisory referendum is a mandate to inflict it upon us.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1608 on February 25, 2019, 10:54:22 am by Filo »
Is there any procedure in the UK constitution, where by a mentally unstable PM can be removed from office, something like a UK version of impeachment?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1609 on February 25, 2019, 12:34:33 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
None at all I think. It relies on Parliament giving her the push. The Tory party on their own can't do it now until next Jan as their rules only allow one challenge per 12 months.

The old method was the old heads in the party sitting the PM down and telling them they had to leave for the good of the reputation of the party, but we're way past that point now.

Fascinating article by ex-Tory MP Matthew Parris in The Times this weekend. He was strongly suggesting that she is mentally unstable. Said he's spoken to several senior Tories who are at their wits end with her. They say that they have meetings with her discussing problems and she just stares at them then carries on as if nowt had happened. She doesn't answer phone messages or e-mails. Never discussed what she is planning with them. He said some of the people he spoke to were shouting at him that they have no idea how to interact with her. Quite a scary read to be honest.

The article is behind a paywall but this is a flavour.

https://mobile.twitter.com/arusbridger/status/1099331886348947456
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:41:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1610 on February 25, 2019, 12:45:55 pm by selby »
  Billy, should this be in the rumours section?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1611 on February 25, 2019, 01:09:58 pm by selby »
  Foxbat, who would you believe, you or the financial times, and the economist publication?  18000 jobs are estimated to be threatened  by Brexit alone in the German automotive industry if we crash out. Mercedes are threatened with recalling 774000 cars over Diesel cheating software and the guy who loves a deal is threatening a 5% tariff on cars from the EU and rising over time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 01:35:33 pm by selby »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1612 on February 25, 2019, 07:52:08 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Interesting Labour move today though, may push the rebel Tories closer to backing May, may mean the so called peoples vote is getting closer.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1613 on February 25, 2019, 07:57:46 pm by drfchound »
Interesting Labour move today though, may push the rebel Tories closer to backing May, may mean the so called peoples vote is getting closer.

........and to think that some of our posters said it would never happen.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #1614 on February 25, 2019, 08:49:23 pm by tommy toes »
There is a section of the mental health act that specifically deals with MPs who suffer a psychiatric episode in the House.
They are sectioned under this law and taken to a place of safety.

Edit
It was Section 141. Looks like it's been repealed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/section-141-of-the-mental-health-act-to-be-abolished
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:56:32 pm by tommy toes »

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1615 on February 25, 2019, 09:22:14 pm by foxbat »
that's a pity then. listening to May claiming to be able to deliver Brexit ( which the majority of people do not want anyway )  is like listening to somebody lying drunk in the gutter telling you they don't have a drink problem.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1616 on February 25, 2019, 09:29:43 pm by drfchound »
that's a pity then. listening to May claiming to be able to deliver Brexit ( which the majority of people do not want anyway )  is like listening to somebody lying drunk in the gutter telling you they don't have a drink problem.

Mate, you are due a barrage of posts for putting that bit in the brackets.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1617 on February 25, 2019, 09:38:21 pm by wilts rover »

Yes I reckon you're right - on both of those things.

Going by previous votes there will be around 30 Labour Leave MP's who wont support a 2nd referendum and may also now back May's deal. So will there be enough Tory remainers & hardline ERG's to vote against it and balance them out?

As I said before. If we do leave the EU under May's deal - it will be Caroline Flint that takes us out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1618 on February 25, 2019, 10:50:30 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
All going a bit bat-shit.

Another 3 Cabinet ministers telling May to return to the world of sanity and chuck out No Deal or they are resigning.

This is utterly unprecedented stuff. I'm pretty well clued up on politics, but I can't think of any time in the last 100 years that so many Cabinet ministers have openly defied a PM. This after a record number of Cabinet resignations over the past 18 months.

Our system of government is collapsing around our ears.

Anyone remember Strong & Stable?

I really am thinking now that May must be mentally unwell. No PM in modern history has ever dealt with this scale of relentless rebellion without being sacked or resigning. How on earth does she summon up the will to get out of bed every morning and face the world after such a string of humiliations? She must be stretched to breaking point.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1619 on February 26, 2019, 07:44:47 am by Donnywolf »
I remember "strong and stable government" - say it long enough and oops it still did not happen and shows no sign of coming soon

I remember " must deliver on the will of the British people" and "we will be leaving the EU on the 29th Match" and now the new "we have it within our grasp to leave with a deal on the 29th March"

I think a great anaolgy above comparing HER to a drunk lying in the gutter saying they dont have a drink problem. What IS wrong with that woman ?

.... and how can she be so thick skinned - still even now saying I will get legally binding changes to the backstop (because the EU always make last minute concessions).

I voted Remain and have never hidden that but I would (like Kevin Keegan) Love it - just love it if she does not eVer get us out of the EU and then justifiably looks the most stupid Politician ever

If that does not happen I will look the most stupid poster ever on here and this will be the stupidest Post made by the stupidest person !!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012