Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:19:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 372212 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #4170 on August 31, 2019, 05:58:32 pm by SydneyRover »
gall: meaning

bold and impudent behaviour.
"the bank had the gall to demand a fee"
synonyms:   impudence, insolence, impertinence, cheek, cheekiness, nerve, audacity, brazenness, effrontery, temerity, presumption, presumptuousness, brashness, shamelessness, pertness, boldness; More

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4171 on September 01, 2019, 09:19:54 pm by SydneyRover »
It's amazing how patient Ireland has been with the boris blunderbus' approach.

''Ireland has said it cannot agree to Boris Johnson’s demands just for his “political convenience”, giving the lie to fresh claims that the EU was about to compromise on the Irish border backstop''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/01/ireland-says-it-will-not-act-for-boris-johnsons-political-convenience

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4172 on September 01, 2019, 11:42:35 pm by MachoMadness »
So why didn't you correct MachoMadness then? Why didn't you correct Mr Wilts then? Keeping the Britain Surrendering Together members under your wing, are we?
Because neither of us are wrong? EU nationals can stay here for up to 3 months while they look for work. After that time, if they don't have a job or enough money to pay their own way, we can kick them out. This is more rights than, say, Indians would get, who can simply be denied entry. Thats the small price we pay for access to this single market... but in practice it doesn't matter that much. Why? Because, despite what your mate Farridge says, most foreigners don't come here to sponge off the state. It doesn't matter where they're from.

Anyway, you'll forgive me for not buying the argument that Brexit is about giving more rights to Indian families to come here. Farages breaking point poster put paid to that idea.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4173 on September 01, 2019, 11:53:21 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So EU nationals get more rights than non-EU nationals?

That's what I said!

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4174 on September 02, 2019, 01:34:28 am by bpoolrover »

''Ireland has said it cannot agree to Boris Johnson’s demands just for his “political convenience”, giving the lie to fresh claims that the EU was about to compromise on the Irish border backstop''

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/01/ireland-says-it-will-not-act-for-boris-johnsons-political-convenience

they have to be patient as let’s be honest a no deal will will probably bankrupt Ireland,without the other eu countries bailing them out
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:45:36 am by bpoolrover »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #4175 on September 02, 2019, 08:22:34 am by MachoMadness »

That's what I said!
Marginally more right to ENTER the country, yes. More rights to stay and live here - which is what immigration is - no.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4176 on September 02, 2019, 08:29:09 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

That's what I said!

In Scotland they sometimes get more rights than UK nationals!

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4177 on September 02, 2019, 10:05:12 am by German Rover »

That's what I said!

Any examples/evidence?

• VSC Member
« Reply #4178 on September 02, 2019, 10:06:35 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

That's what I said!

Any examples/evidence?

Student fees is a prime example!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4179 on September 02, 2019, 01:37:08 pm by SydneyRover »

they have to be patient as let’s be honest a no deal will will probably bankrupt Ireland,without the other eu countries bailing them out

Ireland will have the support of 26 other EU countries if and when the ERG drag the UK out.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4180 on September 02, 2019, 06:22:12 pm by SydneyRover »
this is what the lying tw@t said:

Boris Johnson says when he became PM he said he would not wait before making changes.

That is why he has made a series of policy announcements, he says.

It is to push forward these measures that he needs a Queen’s Speech.

He says he has been encouraged by the progress being made towards a Brexit deal.

He says there are three reasons why it has become more likely.

The EU can see the UK wants a deal, he says.

It can see the UK has a vision for Brexit.

And it can see the UK is preparing for no-deal.

He says MPs will chop the legs off his negotiating position if they vote tomorrow to rule out no-deal.

He says there are no circumstances in which he will delay Brexit.

Armed with this conviction, he believes he will get a deal at the EU summit in October, he says.

He says negotiators should be allowed to get on with their work - without an election.

I don’t want an election and you don’t want one either, he says.

And that’s it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4181 on September 02, 2019, 10:20:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Aye, he must be the most unpopular Prime Minister since.............., well, going all the way back to.............. Theresa May!

Our country's saviour Corbyn will sort it when he walks the next GE!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4182 on September 03, 2019, 06:40:14 am by SydneyRover »
boris is a sociopath

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4183 on September 03, 2019, 08:50:08 am by SydneyRover »
This will be interesting when it is released tomorrow, unfortunately it will mean dealing with reality.

''At the UK in a Changing Europe, we have tried to address this: our report on it is out on Wednesday. We don’t have any inside information. We’re not privy to material that others do not have. But we do have a team of scholars who have spent their careers studying the relationship between the UK and the EU, and so are well placed to consider the potential implications if the UK were to leave in this manner''

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/03/no-deal-brexit-crashing-out-uk-europe#comment-132639787

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4184 on September 03, 2019, 01:11:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's a thought.

The pound is today trading at the lowest rate against the dollar since 1985. $1.20 to the pound.

It picked up after 1985 and for the next 30 years it bounced between $1.50-2.00.

After the Ref was called in 2016, it started sliding and fell massively after the Ref result. It's never once been above $1.50 since the Ref was called.

That means that, apart from the fact that we've had a massive slow down economically since the Ref vote, that's left us £100bn+ poorer than we should have been in POUND terms, the value of what we do produce and earn and own is 20% less in world terms than it was before this whole f**king shambles started.

Sensible economists warned this would happen. Brexit campaigners called it Project Fear.

Those same sensible economists are telling us now that the consequence of No Deal would make that look like a minor blip. I've just heard a Tory No Deal advocate on the radio telling us that is Project Fear.

Who do you believe?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4185 on September 03, 2019, 02:16:40 pm by SydneyRover »
Daily Telegraph: johnson may expel Hammond from the party, yeh that's really likely just when he needs every body he can get he would make a move that would piss the rebels off even further.

''Boris Johnson could use 'nuclear option' of expelling Philip Hammond  if he rebels in tonight’s crucial vote''

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #4186 on September 03, 2019, 03:22:15 pm by foxbat »
1.   Professor Ian Donald‏ @iandonald_psych

⁦@DominicRaab⁩ ⁦@michaelgove⁩ ⁦@BorisJohnson⁩

you have said you are making progress. How do you explain the EU saying you aren’t even try-ing?  You are lying to the British public. You did it during the referendum, you are doing it now.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4187 on September 03, 2019, 03:57:37 pm by SydneyRover »
Brexit: Tory MP defects to Lib Dems, majority gone.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/03/commons-showdown-looms-in-battle-over-no-deal-brexit-live

The Tory Phillip Lee has just issued this statement about his defection to the Lib Dems.

Over 27 years ago I joined the Conservative & Unionist party led by Sir John Major. Since 2010 I have had the privilege of representing the Bracknell Constituency. The party I joined in 1992 is not the party I am leaving today.

This Conservative government is aggressively pursuing a damaging Brexit in unprincipled ways. It is putting lives and livelihoods at risk unnecessarily and it is wantonly endangering the integrity of the United Kingdom. More widely, it is undermining our country’s economy, democracy and role in the world. It is using political manipulation, bullying and lies. And it is doing these things in a deliberate and considered way.

That is why today I am joining Jo Swinson and the Liberal Democrats. I believe the Liberal Democrats are best placed to build the unifying and inspiring political force needed to heal our divisions, unleash our talents, equip us to take the opportunities and overcome the challenges that we face as a society

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4188 on September 03, 2019, 04:21:01 pm by Donnywolf »
Only thing with Lib Dems is that under FPTP system they just cant win.

They got 7.4 % of all vores cast and got 12 Seats (thats 1.8% of the Seats on offer)

Tories got 42.4 % of all votes cast and got 317 Seats (thats almost 49% of the Seats on offer)

In short Tories got 6 times more votes than Lib Dems BUT 26 and a Half times the number of Seats

PR now !

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4189 on September 04, 2019, 08:15:37 pm by SydneyRover »
Jason Beattie

I'd forgotten that Dominic Cummings told the Economist in 2016 there was a "strong democratic case" for putting any Brexit deal back to the peoplehttps://t.co/eOiQk0HTXJ
September 4, 2019

This is what Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson’s de facto chief of staff, said about a second referendum in an Economist interview in January 2016 (before the referendum on leaving the EU). At the time, Cummings was campaign director for Vote Leave. Asked if he thought the government would hold a second referendum, on the terms of Brexit, in the event of a vote to leave, Cummings replied.

I think that is a distinct possibility, yes. It’s obviously not something that we can force. We’re a campaign group. But I think it is perfectly possible that leadership candidates to replace David Cameron will say that they think there are good grounds for a new government team to offer the public a voice on what the deal looks like. And we obviously wouldn’t oppose that, if that’s what senior politicians want to offer. I think there’s a strong democratic case for it.

There’s also the issue of the profound loss of trust that the establishment has suffered over the past 20-30 years. All parties have told lies about this subject, whether it’s John Major and David Cameron or Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and Nick Clegg. People have repeatedly promised referendums then not held referendums. So given that, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if leadership candidates to replace Cameron said: we need a mechanism so people can have confidence in what we say.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4190 on September 05, 2019, 12:08:31 pm by SydneyRover »
Brexit brought to you by rent seekers and carpet baggers.

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, has told EU diplomats that the Brexit talks are stuck in “paralysis”, the Financial Times is reporting (paywall). It says:

The EU’s chief negotiator told envoys from member states that Britain was determined to diverge from EU standards as part of a future trade deal, adding further tension between Mr Johnson’s government and the bloc.

According to a leaked diplomatic note seen by the Financial Times, Mr Barnier said: “we are currently in a state of paralysis”.

The warning came on the same day that David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, met for more than six hours with his EU counterpart. EU officials said Mr Frost provided no suggestions for how the UK could replace the Irish backstop from the Brexit divorce deal while maintaining an open border in Ireland ...

Along with demands on the backstop, Mr Frost has also called for a trade agreement that would allow the UK to break free of EU regulations in areas such as social and environmental standards. The demand reneges on promises made by Theresa May’s government and has emerged as another stumbling bloc in the talks over the past week.

Mr Barnier warned EU envoys that any free-trade deal where Britain could undercut Brussels standards would face ratification problems in EU capitals. Some, such as Paris and The Hague, are determined not to allow Britain gain a competitive edge over the EU by undermining the single market after Brexit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4191 on September 10, 2019, 01:42:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Looks like Corbyn, under his usual pressure from the 4Ms, is utterly determined to f**k up any chance Labour has of pulling lost voters back from the LDs and Greens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49646544

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4192 on September 10, 2019, 02:03:28 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Looks like Corbyn, under his usual pressure from the 4Ms, is utterly determined to f**k up any chance Labour has of pulling lost voters back from the LDs and Greens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49646544

To be fair I think that's been their take from day 1. They want soft Brexit but would choose no Brexit over a hard or no deal Brexit.

I'd be OK with that because we do actually need to bring the country back together and delivering Brexit but one that doesn't f*ck up the country completely has to be the choice.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #4193 on September 10, 2019, 02:08:44 pm by foxbat »
Cameron started Brexit to stop Farage distilling the right wing vote.

May invented the red lines.

May asked for the backstop it was a Tory idea.

Tories didn’t start negotiations for years. Tories decided not to invite other parties to talks.

All of this Brexit shitshow is Tory

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4194 on September 10, 2019, 03:10:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
DO

With respect, that is missing the point.

Labour has lost between 4-6million supporters since Xmas, almost all of them to avowedly Remain-supporting parties.

If they don't pull a fair old chunk of them back, it doesn't matter what policy Labour has on Brexit. They won't get within farting distance of Downing Street.

And headlines like this are not the way to pull those supporters back.

• VSC Member
« Reply #4195 on September 10, 2019, 04:19:20 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Labour has a Brexit policy?  There was me thinking it was the below;

1. Criticise the government policy.
2. Sit on the fence and not commit either way.
END!

There is a conference coming, is it not the case that the members may end up dictating the policy?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4196 on September 10, 2019, 04:25:21 pm by wilts rover »
Billy if you are waiting for the BBC to give Labour a fair headline you will be waiting a long time.

Labour to offer only 1 choice in a referendum might be what you want to hear - but it wont help retain the 60 or so Labour leave seats they need to defend 'to get within farting distance of Downing Street'.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4197 on September 10, 2019, 04:27:09 pm by wilts rover »
Labour has a Brexit policy?  There was me thinking it was the below;

1. Criticise the government policy.
2. Sit on the fence and not commit either way.
END!

There is a conference coming, is it not the case that the members may end up dictating the policy?

Labour's members always 'dictate' the policy - by err voting for it. The Tories always democratically decide theirs by not letting anyone vote for it.

• VSC Member
« Reply #4198 on September 10, 2019, 04:37:53 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
But that's fine, different approaches are fine, it doesn't have to be a member led approach and we all have the choice over which party we favour - I'm certainly a nomad at the moment I dislike all of them and it would be a choice of who I dislike the least.

There is always that old theory, the successful strategy is one or the other, not the middle road.  Certainly often holds up in business.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4199 on September 10, 2019, 04:51:03 pm by wilts rover »
So its a choice between a 2nd referendum with Labour or revoking article 50 with the Lib Dems at the moment then:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/09/liberal-democrats-poised-to-back-revoking-article-50-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

TinyPortal © 2005-2012