Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:51:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Newell signs for Hibs  (Read 11559 times)

CottyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Newell signs for Hibs
« Reply #30 on June 10, 2019, 07:47:43 am by CottyRover »
All the stuff about being front runners came from the DFP.  McCann merely didn't answer when asked a direct question. According to DFP we initially were offering more than Rotherham.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on June 10, 2019, 08:10:49 am by Donnywolf »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on June 10, 2019, 08:11:51 am by idler »
Bradford City's wage bill is £2.5 million.
This is reduced because £1.5 million is taken up for players already at the club. Some won't want to leave on the wages that  might not be matched elsewhere. They at one stage had a squad of almost forty players and got relegated. One of their first new players is a young centre half rom Sudbury Town and he's supposedly one for the future if he makes it.
We usually only hear about our own clubs but we aren't the only fans concerned about the coming season. Worrying and moaning won't make any difference so let's just enjoy the break and let GM and the board do their work. I'm sure there will be some unhappy fans whoever we sign.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 10, 2019, 08:42:04 am by steve@dcfd »
Newell and or is agent appears to have used us to get a better offer from Rotherham and then from Hibs who he saw as a new challenge. Not signing him is not the problem. We have at the moment 10 players that GM thought were good enough for his first team squad. There is Andrew to resign that gives 11. So we do need to replace the five/six players that’s gone as a minimum if we want to be equal or better than last year.

We do have 10/11 players for the U23 side but none of them can walk into a first team squad aiming for top 2 or minimum playoff finalists.

CottyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on June 10, 2019, 08:58:29 am by CottyRover »
Newell and or is agent appears to have used us to get a better offer from Rotherham and then from Hibs who he saw as a new challenge. Not signing him is not the problem. We have at the moment 10 players that GM thought were good enough for his first team squad. There is Andrew to resign that gives 11. So we do need to replace the five/six players that’s gone as a minimum if we want to be equal or better than last year.

We do have 10/11 players for the U23 side but none of them can walk into a first team squad aiming for top 2 or minimum playoff finalists.

If is true that we were used by Newell and his agent,  and I have no reason to disbelieve it, then it underlines McCann's stance about not being held to ransom and good riddance.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 10, 2019, 09:07:40 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Anyone thought he might just have wanted to sign for Hibs?  Big club, big city?

I like Donny, but South Yorkshire or Edinburgh?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 10, 2019, 09:38:30 am by steve@dcfd »

He can sign for who he wants but we have not got him or anybody else yet.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 10, 2019, 09:45:14 am by Jonathan »

He can sign for who he wants but we have not got him or anybody else yet.

Other than Halliday.

Plenty of time yet. We won’t start the season with the squad as it is.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 10, 2019, 09:53:19 am by steve@dcfd »
Jonathan he’s a right back not a Tommy Rowe replacement is what I meant. Plenty to come in yet that what was said two weeks ago!!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on June 10, 2019, 10:55:01 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Same discussion every pre-season. We'll be fine.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on June 10, 2019, 11:07:58 am by idler »
A lot of players are or have been on holiday so things will probably move quicker now for most clubs.
I'm sure that all decent players will be considering and comparing offers from more than one club.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 10, 2019, 11:29:15 am by drfchound »
Marosi was in the team because Lawlor was injured, Rowe started a handful of games, Butler will be a loss as he was in my opinion outstanding. Kane and Wilks granted they had talent but only blossomed under the tutelage of GM and the coaching staff, so I’m sure they can do the same again
I don’t see any reason to panic

Nothing between our two keepers last season so it is a bit unfair to say that Marosi was only in the team because Lawlor was injured.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 10, 2019, 11:51:14 am by steve@dcfd »
Marosi was in the team because Lawlor was injured, Rowe started a handful of games, Butler will be a loss as he was in my opinion outstanding. Kane and Wilks granted they had talent but only blossomed under the tutelage of GM and the coaching staff, so I’m sure they can do the same again

Nothing between our two keepers last season so it is a bit unfair to say that Marosi was only in the team because Lawlor was injured.

GM also said he wanted a second keeper after Marosi left and we were close to signing one.  We haven’t got a left-sided centre midfield to replace Rowe and we need  another centre half.
So I don’t see the point your making roversdude.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:07:17 pm by steve@dcfd »

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 10, 2019, 12:11:26 pm by Retdon1 »
I’ve heard from someone involved at the club that McCan had Newell earmarked as a key signing and is very disappointed he’s signed elsewhere. Their  is also firm interest in a couple of our players from championship clubs.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 10, 2019, 12:31:20 pm by steve@dcfd »
I’ve heard from someone involved at the club that McCan had Newell earmarked as a key signing and is very disappointed he’s signed elsewhere. Their  is also firm interest in a couple of our players from championship clubs.

That would make an interesting season it’s like ripping up the top six blueprint to start all over again hope GM has got it him to build again under constraints he seems to be under.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on June 10, 2019, 12:37:59 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Quote from Newell on the BBC site:

“I'd obviously heard about the city and how big the club is," Newell said.”

So, he’s heard of Edinburgh, then? He’s obviously done his research.  😀

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 10, 2019, 12:41:31 pm by Chris Black come back »
Last summer with only a few weeks as manager, McCann put together a team that challenged for the rest of the season and I think we were never once out of the top half. He I think only signed four players in the summer - Crawford, Taylor, Wilks and Kane.

After a moribund season (again) under our previous manager and poor experience with loaning Kongolo as the marquee EPL loan signing, we were hardly an enticing offer for loan or permanent players yet McCann picked and persuaded Wilks and Kane to come and join. We are arguably in a better position to attract those types of players now, and McCann clearly has an eye for a youngster.

We are weeks better off than last close season and with a better reputation and - given all the departures - with a relatively better budget to make signings. Nothing to worry about here.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 10, 2019, 02:50:37 pm by roversdude »
I think Crawford was a done deal by the time GM started (I might be wrong on this)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 10, 2019, 03:14:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Oh dear oh dear every summer the same.
The doom merchants are out. Panic. Panic. Panic.
Do some of you think that by 3rd August we won’t have brought in anther 5 players minimum + Danny Andrew.
Last season DF left us without notice at the end of May & McCann didn’t take over until July.
We are so much in a better place than this time last year and if my memory serves me correctly GM signed and loaned some pretty decent players with little time to spare & we had a pretty good season didn’t we.
Or did I dream it?
This, “we haven’t signed anybody” nonsense is looking extremely stupid imo and is getting very boring.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:19:25 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 10, 2019, 03:26:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Let me start by saying I've every confidence in GM and the board to get it right this season; but we're being put through the wringer again in terms of time.

Pre-season training will probably start 3 weeks today. We've lost 6 of the starters in the Charlton game, and Andrew is yet to sign. We've made one signing, a league 2 player, and have lost out on a potential marquee signing.

So let's cut a bit of slack to those of a slightly nervous disposition.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:51:07 pm by scawsby steve »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on June 10, 2019, 03:28:26 pm by Chris Black come back »
Do some of you think that by 3rd August we won’t have brought in anther 5 players minimum + Danny Andrew.
Last season DF left us without notice at the end of May & McCann didn’t take over until July.
We are so much in a better place than this time last year and if my memory serves me correctly GM signed and loaned some pretty decent players with little time to spare & we had a pretty good season didn’t we.
Or did I dream it?
This, “we haven’t signed anybody” nonsense is looking extremely stupid imo and is getting very boring.

Not quite. The departure of Ferguson was announced on 4 June and the appointment of McCann announced on 27 June.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 10, 2019, 03:42:53 pm by Campsall rover »
Or did I dream it?

Not quite. The departure of Ferguson was announced on 4 June and the appointment of McCann announced on 27 June.
You splitting hairs with that one aren’t you.
Pre season training didn’t start until 30th June. Sorry was it 29th June or 1st July? Flipping heck sorry.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 10, 2019, 03:47:56 pm by Campsall rover »
Let me start by saying I've every confidence in GM and the board to get it right  this season; but we're being put through the wringer again in terms of time.

Pre-season training will probably start 3 weeks today. We've lost 6 of the starters in the Charlton game, and Andrew is yet to sign. We've made one signing, a league 2 player, and have lost out on a potential marquee signing.

We lost out on a marquee signing ! Who says? Rotherham fans were not extatic about him last season.
Not consistent by all accounts.
We don’t need him. We will get someone else won’t we. What’s the problem. Don’t see one.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on June 10, 2019, 03:49:36 pm by dickos1 »

Although Marosi did start the season as our number one

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 10, 2019, 03:52:26 pm by Retdon1 »
Or did I dream it?

I think we need a few more than 5+Andrew. That would only give us 17 senior players which isn’t even enough to fill a bench. And that’s before the usual injuries and suspensions. I know Mccan has said he wants a smaller squad but you would think we would be looking at a 20/21 man squad minimum before using youth team players to make the numbers up. That means another 9/10 signings... very busy summer ahead

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 10, 2019, 04:02:36 pm by scawsby steve »
Let me start by saying I've every confidence in GM and the board to get it right  this season; but we're being put through the wringer again in terms of time.

We lost out on a marquee signing ! Who says? Rotherham fans were not extatic about him last season.
We don’t need him. We will get someone else won’t we. What’s the problem. Don’t see one.

You've not been careful with your words there Campsall, because in slagging off Newell's potential, you're casting doubts about GM's judgement in wanting him in the first place, and he definitely did, because he's been quoted today as being "very disappointed".

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 10, 2019, 04:04:09 pm by Campsall rover »
Or did I dream it?

I think we need a few more than 5+Andrew. That would only give us 17 senior players which isn’t even enough to fill a bench. And that’s before the usual injuries and suspensions. I know Mccan has said he wants a smaller squad but you would think we would be looking at a 20/21 man squad minimum before using youth team players to make the numbers up. That means another 9/10 signings... very busy summer ahead
5+ is more than 5

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 10, 2019, 04:09:01 pm by Campsall rover »

You've not been careful with your words there Campsall, because in slagging off Newell's potential, you're casting doubts about GM's judgement in wanting him in the first place, and he definitely did, because he's been quoted today as being "very disappointed".
My emphasis was on the word Marquee signing SS that’s all.
I certainly wasn’t slagging him off was i or doubting GM’ eye for a player. He is a very good one on his day and if GM had got consistency from him he would have been a very good signing.
But the word Marquee would suggest we were signing the equivalent of a Rolls Royce or Bentley.

We will miss out on some targets that’s inevitable but we need to move on as there are plenty of fish in the sea.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:13:08 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 10, 2019, 04:15:43 pm by Campsall rover »
Or did I dream it?

I think he is looking at quality rather than quantity.

So 18/19 players + the youth imo.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 10, 2019, 04:17:54 pm by drfchound »
Or did I dream it?

I think I have read that GM wants to work with a smaller squad this season so having 20/21 senior players is very unlikely.
I have also seen some of our posters advocating that we look to utilise some of the reserve and youth team players in the first team squad.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012