Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:32:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Newell signs for Hibs  (Read 11537 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Newell signs for Hibs
« Reply #90 on June 11, 2019, 11:04:09 am by dickos1 »
I’m not so sure,

Wabara, Robinson, forrester, main, evina, razak, Clarke-Harris, Bowery, macheda,

I think dickov signed them all,

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on June 11, 2019, 11:30:40 am by weststander »
It is interesting that people want players in early, quite often its later signings that have worked out well in the past.

If we dont have players in at the end of July then I'll be worried.

And yet from time to time we get comments from managers saying that certain players will be better once they have had a full pre-season. The risk of late signings is that their fitness and integration in the squad is not completed by the time the season starts

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on June 11, 2019, 11:31:31 am by RoversAlias »
Never said anything about faith. Just pointed out that you slightly exaggerated things.

Get a grip, man.

Get a grip? Not sure what you're on about Alan. I've offered a reasoned opinion, nothing more. The faith I'm referring to comes from discussion prior to your post to be fair, but it's relevant to what we are talking about.

The typical negativity and worry on this forum the past couple of weeks is doing my head in, and it happens pretty much every year. Some summers it is justified, but not this one. Clearly people are bored.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on June 11, 2019, 11:40:27 am by dickos1 »
I think this season's outgoings means that we are going to have a fair turn-over of players and it would be far from ideal if they all land at the club with pre season well underway. With a season of much greater expectation, as expected by the manager, we can't be risking players 'getting to know one another' after 5 or 6 competitive games have drifted by - we'd already be playing catch-up!

Strategically, the manager will want his permanents in asap and definately before the start of pre-season, with possibly the loan players to join after their respective pre-season's with their own clubs. At least, that is how I perceive things would happen in an ideal world. Of course, we are drfc and things don't always quite go to plan, so the manager will do his best under whatever circumstances are thrown his way.

Alan this is what you posted almost a year ago to the day.

“It's recognised that we had a small squad last season and now we are 5 players down on last season. We need at least 5 just to get back to where we were, squad wise! Yes, we have given some of the young lads short-term deals, but that was to ensure we had a strong development team, going forward.

Out of the 5 needed, I would say 3 midfielders, 1 striker and 1 defender. And all should be capable of going straight in the first team.”

It’s almost exactly what you’re saying again now, everything worked out fine then so let’s not start all the panicking again just yet

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on June 11, 2019, 12:06:30 pm by Alan Southstand »
Who's panicking?

Look, people can read my posts however they want, but I can tell you there is no panic at my end.

The facts are what they are, no more, no less and yes, I believe we'll get players in by the time we kick off. Whether they are better/stronger than what we had, only time will tell.

Listen to the Doncast discussion part 2 - the lads on there are saying, more or less, the same thing. Interpretation is a wonderful thing and some on here are only too ready to start 'firing from the hip' before they've had chance to digest what's been written.

I think, personally, the manager did extremely well last season and proved a lot of people wrong, but he inherited a decent solid league 1 side and added the bit of class (Herbie) and power (Wilks) to make us more competitive. However, this season, we've basically scrapped that side and this where he will stand or fall, as it will be more his side and have his stamp on it. I think we'll be completely different this season, to last, and hopefully end up in a more positive position.

My only concern, if I have one, is what happens if/when we lose our (arguably) 2 best remaining players, in JM and BW?

P.S. Thanks for doing the historical research, which proved pretty much what I was saying last season turned out to be the case.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:08:31 pm by Alan Southstand »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on June 11, 2019, 12:15:21 pm by dickos1 »
Not sure we signed 5 players that went straight into the first team, certainly not 3 midfielders.

The squad was in decent shape last season just needed the additions of Kane and wilks.
This year we do need more but there’s plenty of time

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on June 11, 2019, 12:29:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »
I’m not so sure,

Wabara, Robinson, forrester, main, evina, razak, Clarke-Harris, Bowery, macheda,

Wabara got a couple of promotions after and Macheda was pretty decent. You can't blame the players for a shit manager.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on June 11, 2019, 01:04:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
We might not have got 5 to start with, but we ended up with 5 loanees, plus Crawford, Taylor, Anderson, Cummings, Sadlier. Obviously, 3 of the loans had a massive impact, the permanents less so.

If the manager gets 3 more loans like Kane, Wilks and Downing, it will be akin to winning the lottery. Here's hoping.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on June 11, 2019, 01:07:52 pm by dickos1 »
I’m not so sure,

Wabara got a couple of promotions after and Macheda was pretty decent. You can't blame the players for a shit manager.

I’m not!
I said dickov made lots of bad signings

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on June 11, 2019, 01:41:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
I’m not so sure,

Would - as I clearly said - contrast the largely good signings he made in Championship both permanent and on loan (Meite, Tamas, Furman, Johnstone, Turnbull, Khumalo, Stevens etc) and the largely bad signings he made in League One (many of which are listed above). Overall - a mixed picture.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on June 11, 2019, 03:17:57 pm by dickos1 »
as I said, all managers make good and bad signings.
Bit Dickovs good signings weren’t as good as the likes of, , wellens, stock, Sharp, Roberts, o Connor, jones, cotterrill, marquis, whiteman, Blair, Wright, Andrew etc etc.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on June 11, 2019, 05:43:43 pm by DonnyOsmond »
as I said, all managers make good and bad signings.
Bit Dickovs good signings weren’t as good as the likes of, , wellens, stock, Sharp, Roberts, o Connor, jones, cotterrill, marquis, whiteman, Blair, Wright, Andrew etc etc.

But he did sign Sharp and Wellens.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on June 11, 2019, 05:45:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Anyway, back on the topic of Newell, GM saying he feels like they've dodged a bullet. Having met Newell the other week he gave off the impression that he was doing us a favour and not like he wanted to actually move to the club. GM saying he has it all but clearly the heart wasn't in it.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on June 11, 2019, 06:21:21 pm by mushRTID »
Anyway, back on the topic of Newell, GM saying he feels like they've dodged a bullet. Having met Newell the other week he gave off the impression that he was doing us a favour and not like he wanted to actually move to the club. GM saying he has it all but clearly the heart wasn't in it.

Sounds a bit sour grapes that to me. Others may disagree.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on June 11, 2019, 06:48:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Sounds a bit sour grapes that to me. Others may disagree.

This makes me wonder otherwise.

In my humble opinion, you’ve dodged one there.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on June 11, 2019, 06:49:26 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Newell could of had his heart set on moving out the area for a new challenge and maybe the fact that we were a second choice came across to GM. I've been there when you go for a job interview at a place you don't really want to join, it's hard to hide it

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on June 11, 2019, 09:03:50 pm by drfchound »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-grant-mccann-on-joe-newell-interest-it-might-be-a-blessing-in-disguise-1-9816770

This may explain a few things.

Also, at the end of that article, McCann has had meetings with several potential signings following his return from holiday.
Maybe some of the worriers among our fellow posters can sleep a bit easier now.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on June 11, 2019, 09:08:54 pm by andyst79 »
In McCann we trust

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on June 11, 2019, 09:27:40 pm by roversdude »
Hope he had a good hol

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on June 12, 2019, 10:50:44 am by wing commander »
  You never know if it's just press speak but if GM did get that impression then he's not for us anyway.The players are obviously a quite a close group and the last thing we need is a big time attitude charly coming in...

However what Newell has actually done in the game, to warrant that opinion of himself is not clear..He wasn't a regular starter in a relegated championship side

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on June 12, 2019, 11:03:13 am by since-1969 »
No sure why this question is still being talked about as ‘He has signed for HiBS !!!’

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on June 16, 2019, 02:10:47 pm by ravenrover »
Wait till the friendlies start and see how many with the same name are turning out for us
A Triallist

TinyPortal © 2005-2012