Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:46:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson  (Read 127909 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
« Reply #90 on August 05, 2019, 11:22:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I won the lottery and that changed my views. With my £10 winnings, I bought a copy of The Rise and Fall of Communism.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on August 06, 2019, 04:08:11 am by SydneyRover »
''Boris Johnson has pledged to "do or die", and leave the EU by the deadline of 31 October, with or without a deal''

Easy choice then?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on August 06, 2019, 11:45:56 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It's an interesting topic, what drives people's political choices?

Logically you would think age, occupation, location, education level, background/upbringing?  Must be some good studies on it.

For me personally, I can't say it has changed much over time, it's not hugely different to what it was 10 years ago, albeit a bit more informed.  Isn't the truth that many people probably do change political thoughts over time due to life experiences?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on August 06, 2019, 01:30:19 pm by SydneyRover »
I have only had a quick glance at this so I'm not sure what it contains bfyp

https://www.britishelectionstudy.com/

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on August 07, 2019, 03:47:03 pm by SouthStandFan »
I've just had to complete a new child benefit from, which I get nothing by the way anyway. But you have to do the form legally either way.

There are questions in there asking if I've got any other kids, which country they live in... etc. Can anyone of the pro-remain group on here explain to me how it is a good use of british taxpayers money supporting children in other eu countries?

Someone from Romania could come here on a contract earning 49,999k and get child benefit for their family back home.... yet as a uk born and bred taxpayer I can earn 50,001k or more and get nothing. Is that right or fair?

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #95 on August 07, 2019, 04:01:34 pm by idler »
No it's not.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on August 07, 2019, 04:12:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SSF.

1) That Romanian would also be paying tax here so the fact that you're a tax payer is neither here nor there. It was a decision by the Tory/LD coalition to make Child Benefit unavailable for higher rate tax payers.

2) You could go and work in any EU country, earn as much as you were able to do and receive the benefits that their Govts paid to their citizens.

It works both ways.

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 07, 2019, 08:39:56 pm by SouthStandFan »
It certainly does not work both ways. Romania does not pay child benefit in the average circumstances,  only in the case of disability and such like. The child must be resident with the parent claiming.

So I cant move to Romania and claim child benefit for my children in the uk.

Out of my taxes money is being sent to children abroad yet my own (british) children are not deemed worthy of receiving anything.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on August 07, 2019, 09:24:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'll take that point SSF.

But you're looking at one specific issue in isolation. I'm sure you're aware of the countless research studies which have all concluded that EU immigrant workers contribute significantly more to the UK economy than they take out in benefits and Govt-funded services?

So, even taking on board your understandable grievance at being denied child benefit (by a Tory Chancellor) the hypothetical Romanian worker you cite still makes a net contribution towards your use of the NHS, state education, police, fire service, bin collection, parks, roads...etc, etc...

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on August 09, 2019, 09:56:14 am by foxbat »
consider carefully all , the 'Boris' brand , cuddly Boris ?, a great laugh on
' Have I got news for you ? '

standing up for the people against the elite ? , really ?

de Pfeffel Family History :-

Johnson’s paternal grandmother, Yvonne Eileen Williams,whose family name was de Pfeffel, was a descendant of Prince Paul Von Wurttemberg. The German prince was, in turn, a direct descendant of George II.

This discovery means that Boris Johnson is not only distantly related, albeit very far re-moved, to the present Royal Family but also to all the royal houses of Europe, including the Swedish and Dutch royal families, as well as the Romanoffs.

Really ?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on August 09, 2019, 10:03:32 am by SydneyRover »
Spin:
''Jeremy Corbyn's new Brexit ploy: Labour leader appeals to Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill to step in and stop Boris Johnson from forcing through No Deal''

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7339027/Labour-leader-appeals-Cabinet-Secretary-stop-Boris-Johnson-forcing-No-Deal.html

Reality:

''Brexit: Corbyn seeks clarity on 'unconstitutional' election-time no-deal''

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49285670

Yellow press aye!

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 09, 2019, 02:03:19 pm by SouthStandFan »
Fox at can you understand my comparison that you having such a problem with his name and family "status" is EXACTLY the same as me saying, for example.. "with a name like Mayor Khan, he obviously doesn't care about us".

If he is a knob head, liar, buffoon. It is regardless of those factors.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on August 09, 2019, 02:08:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SSF

That's a truly awful analogy.

The issue about Johnson is that he is someone from an aristocratic lineage, putting himself forward as being in the side of the little man against the Elite that he comes from.

How in earth do you draw an analogy with Sadiq Khan from that?

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on August 09, 2019, 02:11:47 pm by SouthStandFan »
Because the two issues are exactly alike and equally deplorable.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #104 on August 09, 2019, 02:12:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What two issues?

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on August 09, 2019, 02:35:44 pm by SouthStandFan »
As I put in the other thread.... if someone is disagreeable to you (as you quite validly see Boris as an idiot in your opinion, and various other things), that opinion should really be formed regardless of race, gender, class, surname, etc

Not that I want to, but should I be disqualified from running for donny council because I grew up poor, lived in a council house etc... should I be disqualified because I've now got an above average wage... if I go on to be a millionaire (next year rodney), should I be disqualified  then?

People are judging boris based on him being a bit posh, that's the very first post in this thread.

Would you rather have a leader of the country educated at Eton or Hall Cross 6th form? Does it really matter ?

You are trying to take the high road "truly awful analogy", whilst doing the very things I am advocating against, judging people on factors out of their control

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on August 09, 2019, 04:08:04 pm by foxbat »
Hall Cross Academy eh ?  or Doncaster Grammer school when I was at school.
I would be proud if a pupil from there became Prime Minister , I certainly don't find the idea outrageous as some.

Why the assumption that because someone's family has paid for them to go to Eton that they will be a good prime minister ? Is that sense of expectation they seem to be given , a good basis to run the country , and who exactly is it being run for.

Johnson isn't a buffoon , he has engineered himself into the PM position ( admittedly by constant lying and saying anything that he thinks will benefit him ) but an achievement nevertheless. Though from reports he is lazy , doesn't do any work , doesn't read any preparation that done for him and doesn't give a sh1t about anything but himself.

I certainly never bought into his good old Boris , public school buffoon act from the beginning.

it's the hypocrisy that get's me ( and the way people fall for it )  claiming to be fighting
' the Elite ' , when , as I have been trying to point out , Johnson is as good an example of 'the Elite ' as you can possibly get.

Maybe it was better is times past but the latest crop of ex Eton PM's have been so horrendous that I would take someone from Hall Cross every time

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on August 09, 2019, 04:13:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SSF.

No. I'm saying it's an awful analogy because Johnson claims to be railing against the elite while being from the very same elite.

And I don't see how Khan is claiming to be on the side of people who are fighting against people from his background.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 10, 2019, 09:41:05 am by wilts rover »
What do they say, a weeks' a long time in politics:

Monday - Johnson makes un-costed pledge of billions of pounds of extra funding for public services because of Britain’s ‘strong economy’

Friday - UK economy shrinks for first time since 2012 and is on the verge of recession

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on August 10, 2019, 09:58:49 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Looks like the first thing he needs to do is have a scrat down the back of the settee and find ten bob for the leccy meter.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on August 16, 2019, 08:38:39 am by SydneyRover »
I know this boris interview with Eddie Mair is an oldie but it's certainly a goodie maybe even the best?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/mar/24/boris-johnson-interview-eddie-mair

I just like to watch it every now and again and wonder how he became PM.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #111 on August 16, 2019, 08:47:25 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It is astonishing isn't it.

Picture the response if a Labour leader had conspired with a friend to have a journalist beaten up, had a string of affairs and broken marriages and twice been sacked for lying to his boss.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on August 23, 2019, 11:36:22 am by foxbat »
Downing Street has hit back at Channel 4 News after their boss labelled Boris Johnson a 'known liar.’

It’s a radical idea I know, but if Politicians don’t want to be labelled liars perhaps they should just stop telling liespic. twitter.com/6m1cggBo3s

Johnson lies all the time. In fact, he's been sacked more than once SPECIFICALLY for lying. You know, we know, the world knows. That literally makes you a 'KNOWN LIAR'.
 Don't want to be called a liar - don't lie. It's not a difficult concept  #NotMyPM

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on August 23, 2019, 11:52:45 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
A bit improper perhaps for them to say that?  I know they like to be out there but perhaps across a line?  It's as improper as saying Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser which I don't really agree with either.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on August 23, 2019, 12:07:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
A bit improper perhaps for them to say that? I know they like to be out there but perhaps across a line?  It's as improper as saying Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser which I don't really agree with either.

Why? Micheal Howard sacked Johnson because he lied to his face. So did David Cameron. Where's the ambiguity?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on August 23, 2019, 01:26:14 pm by SydneyRover »
A bit improper perhaps for them to say that? I know they like to be out there but perhaps across a line?  It's as improper as saying Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser which I don't really agree with either.

Why? Micheal Howard sacked Johnson because he lied to his face. So did David Cameron. Where's the ambiguity?

This is absolutely gobsmacking what's to complain about? For a pig he's a bit thin skinned. This and his casual racism plus his affairs has been all over the media and he complains about Ch 4. On top of all that he's a coward and spends 20K of public money and goes overseas to avoid a vote on Heathrow.

Added: If you think about it Channel 4 would be lying is they said otherwise. no?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:41:56 pm by SydneyRover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on August 23, 2019, 06:41:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Max Hastings also sacked him for lying in an article he wrote in the Telegraph.

He's a liar. He should be called a liar. There's no grey area to this.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on August 23, 2019, 07:25:01 pm by wilts rover »
The full speech is brilliant - well worth reading if you haven't already. She is particularly keen on slating politicians for avoiding tv interviews - and is just as hard on Corbyn as other politicians.

Here is the relevant bit on Johnson:

In honour of Scotland, I’ve brought along a herring to rival the kipper Boris Johnson produced in the leadership election. He said that Brussels bureaucrats had demanded that each kipper had to be accompanied by a plastic ice pillow. That was simply untrue. Even Donald Trump’s never lied about a kipper.

Going back decades, Johnson has lied about the EU.

1991 - EU bureaucrats reject Italian demands for smaller condoms. Rubbish.

The EU set rules on the shape of bananas. Nonsense

More recently, he claimed he was resigning from Theresa May’s government partly because the EU had prevented the UK from passing a law to save the lives of female cyclists. What a feminist that man is! So many women say that to me.

Here is what we all need to decide: what do we do when a known liar becomes our Prime Minister?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nl6rIrW0HHnzxRwkJtANzYvqDG3WCv8Gpv8tA2iDsS0/edit

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #118 on August 24, 2019, 04:02:49 am by SydneyRover »
''Boris Johnson and Donald Trump speak ahead of G7 meeting''

I'll bet that was a crackin' conversation?

They connected noses somewhere mid-Atlantic apparently  :woohoo:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49452017

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on August 24, 2019, 10:03:21 am by wilts rover »
Leading the world in efforts to halt global environmental disaster and climate change targets, France and Ireland have threatened to block the EU fee-trade deal with Brazil unless Bolsonaro stops deforestation and burning in the Amazon.

In contrast - Johnson has sent a trade delegation to Brazil discuss a new free-trade deal.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-ally-cosies-up-18990693?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Put profit for the wealthy elite before the welfare of the people #VoteTory

TinyPortal © 2005-2012