Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:33:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson  (Read 126068 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
Re: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
« Reply #1650 on September 21, 2020, 11:07:43 pm by SydneyRover »
I can't see that  :)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #1651 on September 21, 2020, 11:11:22 pm by Janso »
Go for a drive to test your eyesight mate.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1652 on September 21, 2020, 11:13:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

Yes, it's an established fact that he went to a bunga bunga party at Lebedev pad in Perugia when he was Foreign Secretary. A couple for three weeks after the Salisbury attack. MI6 went spare about the security implications, and he was photographed leaving in the small hours looking tired and emotional.

I've acknowledged that this one appears to have been a mistake. It appears that the airport management and two independent witnesses were all wrong when they said that Johnson had been at Perugia airport. So I'm more than happy to admit it's a mistake. But as a Tory MP (a TORY MP!) was quoted as saying today, the problem is that No10 has lied so often, it's reasonable to have instinctively assumed they were lying when they first denied this one. That's really not a good place to be.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1653 on September 21, 2020, 11:43:50 pm by SydneyRover »
Maybe it was trump they saw at the airport, a lot of these right wing dictators look similar?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1654 on September 23, 2020, 12:54:07 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Prime Minister said in Parliament today that the reason we've had one of the worst-managed epidemics in the world is because the British love freedom so much, we are incapable of following simple guidelines to save our grannies' lives.

Might be wrong cos it WAS a bit of a word salad. He was in that mode again when he opens his mouth and sees what comes out and then riffs on it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tompeck/status/1308394044771512323

f**k me. Just to remind you, that is the Prime Minister of the UK, not a shite club turn comedian.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1655 on September 23, 2020, 01:43:51 am by SydneyRover »
I think you're on the right track bst, he does remind me of Les Dawson

On freedoms and things he was banging on about ............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_women%27s_suffrage

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1656 on September 23, 2020, 07:01:34 am by Donnywolf »
Simply for me he is the person I dislike the most without EVER having met them

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1657 on September 23, 2020, 09:22:35 am by drfchound »
Twelve hours on from the tv broadcast and only three comments.
Perhaps was he said wasn’t too disagreeable.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1658 on September 23, 2020, 09:35:54 am by IDM »
Perhaps we’ve heard it all before.?

There’s nothing much new in what he said, other than a sense (again) that it’s a case of too little too late.  Plus there’s the coronavirus thread ongoing.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1659 on September 23, 2020, 10:03:35 am by Filo »
Twelve hours on from the tv broadcast and only three comments.
Perhaps was he said wasn’t too disagreeable.

Perhaps people are seeing the idiot he is and just don’t care what he has to say anymore, me? I never watched his address, I’ll conform to the rules because they are the rules, but again he announces things that should start two days later, is the virus having a couple of days off? Why not with immediate effect like the scientists were saying on Monday?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1660 on September 23, 2020, 10:41:19 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm waiting to see what the policies actually are before I comment on them.

Raab didn't know in R4 this morning. He was asked if people would be able to queue to get served in Starbucks or McDonalds, then sit down to eat and he just went off on a non-sequitur ramble.

See, the thing is, it's been clear for at least a fortnight to anyone who looked that this was coming. That's two weeks during which detailed plans could be made. And what ends up happening is very typical of this Govt. There's a sudden, hurried, unplanned rushed statement that no-one has thought through. Apparently as late as Monday night, Graham Brady the head of the 1922 Committee was laying the law down to Johnson saying the backbenchers wouldn't support various measures that the Govt had just flagged up.

Constant theme. Lack of detailed planning, grandiose announcements and then work out what it means later.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1661 on September 23, 2020, 11:09:35 am by IDM »
BST the detailed planning of how to combat a second wave should have been done during the first one, or at least once a downturn had begun..

They have been talking about extra restrictions for at least a week, but once again not acting quickly.

A stitch in time saves nine, my arse.!

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1662 on September 23, 2020, 12:44:20 pm by idler »
A stitch in time is a myth to this government.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1663 on September 23, 2020, 01:27:02 pm by SydneyRover »
Anyone think johnson is lucky 'The Thick of it' isn't still being made?

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #1664 on September 23, 2020, 01:51:15 pm by EasyforDennis »
Did anyone notice, he did two speeches on tv last night?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1308485512110510081

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1665 on September 29, 2020, 01:07:45 pm by SydneyRover »
This is not helping

''Johnson unable to clarify details of how new lockdown rules work in north east England
Q: In the north east can people meet people from outside their household in a pub garden? People find these rules confusing.

Johnson says the rule of six means you can only meet six people, inside or outside.

In the north east, he says, people must follow the rules.

As he understands it, he says, “it is not six outside”.

''He repeats the point about how people need to look at the guidance in areas where local lockdown rules apply.

Johnson unable to clarify details of how new lockdown rules work in north east''

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1666 on September 29, 2020, 01:29:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My take is that it is ridiculous to expect the PM to know every detail of policy. It was a pathetic question from the journalist, trying to get this response.

Me, I don't the PM wasting time memorising details that they don't need to know. No-one would have expected Churchill to know what the policy was on making ball bearings in Wrexham for Spitfire manufacture.

It infantilises politics when the main aim of some journalists is to set "gotcha" traps.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1667 on September 29, 2020, 01:40:10 pm by SydneyRover »
Sure, so why doesn't the chief medical officer make the speech tell the country what the rules are?

or the Health minister, everyone in cabinet knows johnson will screw it up.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1668 on September 29, 2020, 01:43:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My understanding was that Johnson wasn't making an announcement on that. He was talking about work training. And in the Q&A afterwards, a journalist asked him whether people were allowed to meet in pub beer gardens in Newcastle. Absolutely ridiculous.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1669 on September 29, 2020, 03:07:23 pm by Donnywolf »
May as well wait outside Number 10 like they do and shout inane questions like "are you introducing more lockdowns Prime Minister" or "have you sorted Test and Trace ut Prime Minister"

As pointless as that poor blocke who must have shouted "STOP B****t" about a billion times

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1670 on September 29, 2020, 03:30:27 pm by IDM »
My understanding was that Johnson wasn't making an announcement on that. He was talking about work training. And in the Q&A afterwards, a journalist asked him whether people were allowed to meet in pub beer gardens in Newcastle. Absolutely ridiculous.

I understand your point BST but - and I may be wrong - didn’t this come a few hours after one of his ministers couldn’t answer the similar question on the radio this morning.?

You would have thought that after that broadcast there would be a PDQ briefing to all ministers likely to be interviewed today on what they could/should say.

A first misunderstanding is acceptable but to not be prepared for the subsequent similar questioning smacks of further incompetence..

I agree with you in principle on the questioning technique but taken in context of the day’s proceedings it’s a bit of an own goal.?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1671 on September 29, 2020, 07:52:43 pm by wilts rover »
Life-changing fines handed out to working-class people by a government that either doesn't know its own lockdown rules, doesn't abide by them, or writes them to suit grouse-hunters.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1310964318503079936

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1672 on September 29, 2020, 07:55:57 pm by wilts rover »
Johnson:
"Dear Fate, I want to be a Great Man like Winston Churchill and lead UK through a major national crisis"

Fate:
"Ok, here is your national crisis"

Johnson:
"No, not this sort of crisis"

Fate:
"You don't get to pick your major national crisis."

Johnson:
"So unfair!"

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1310943758515609602

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1673 on September 29, 2020, 07:58:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I understand your point BST but - and I may be wrong - didn’t this come a few hours after one of his ministers couldn’t answer the similar question on the radio this morning.?

You would have thought that after that broadcast there would be a PDQ briefing to all ministers likely to be interviewed today on what they could/should say.

A first misunderstanding is acceptable but to not be prepared for the subsequent similar questioning smacks of further incompetence..

I agree with you in principle on the questioning technique but taken in context of the day’s proceedings it’s a bit of an own goal.?

Yeah that's a fair point. I guess it's not unreasonable to have expected that question. I hadn't taken into account that it had been a major news item already.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1674 on September 29, 2020, 08:51:19 pm by belton rover »
One of the big troubles of today is ‘gotcha traps’. People use them, then they’re used against them. Everyone is ‘gotchad’ all of the time.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1675 on September 29, 2020, 10:40:57 pm by IDM »
But if people went about their business honestly and to the best of their ability, knowing what they were doing and with integrity - then there would be nothing to be gotcha’d for..

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1676 on September 29, 2020, 10:49:16 pm by belton rover »
And that’s a wonderful thought, IDM, but it’s not anywhere close to reality. We all f**k up. Some of us more than others, some knowingly, some not. Some constantly, some occasionally. But f**k up we do.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1677 on September 29, 2020, 10:52:33 pm by IDM »
Yes but being honest about the f**k ups and admitting your faults doesn’t leave you open to gotchas..

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #1678 on September 30, 2020, 10:20:37 am by EasyforDennis »
What absolutely amazes me is that people actually think he and the bunch of idiots he surrounds himself with are doing a good job!!!

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #1679 on September 30, 2020, 10:39:36 am by Janso »
What absolutely amazes me is that people actually think he and the bunch of idiots he surrounds himself with are doing a good job!!!

A bloke I work with (incidentally, a baby boomer) always trots out the line that nobody really knows what the right way to handle the virus situation is because it's never happened before, and that the SE Asians only know how to deal with it because of SARS, but also that we couldn't have learned from them because "while South Korea is a democracy, it's not the same kind of democracy that we are so they can get away with certain things". Bizarre attitude.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012