Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:21:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23495 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #90 on August 11, 2019, 03:23:54 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

Why do fans think it is easy to find and sign players.?

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

Other clubs don’t leave them selfs without a striker to start a season though

It’s pretty much unavoidable when your striker leaves a week before the season starts AND your former Manager nips in to sign the replacements before our new manager is in place!!

That is why you set a contingency plan for all eventualities

But we did have a contingency plan but that went to pot when GM left!!!
We're not talking about the manager, it's the player you plan for. for Copps sake !!!!!!

Jesus wept!! You’re not going to keep the same player shortlist for a new manager are you!! You e got to start again from scratch

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on August 11, 2019, 03:26:25 pm by sha66y »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
How anyone can argue against this being very poor planning is beyond me

How come everyone is now saying what I was implying a week ago but got dogs abuse for.

When you say we shouldn’t of let Marquis go, are you actually proposing that we should have kept him against his wishes?
Not quite kidnapping, but being kept captive and being made to play I assume?

and how do you think that would have panned out?
Do you think he would have put his all into chasing and harrying defences, putting in potential career changing tackles, bearing in mind he wants the big pay day....are you thinking the rest of the players would rally to him and support him, knowing he was jumping ship once we got his replacement in...

I don’t get what you think a disgruntled player can offer to a club once he’s made his mind up to leave!!

Please enlighten me with a reasonable response steeped in facts not fantasy...

You are a complete helmet

And that my old son is called “ check freakin mate” ..

Come back when you are more battle hardened in rational debate, and stop waving that white napkin like a sabre....

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on August 11, 2019, 03:27:19 pm by Chris Black come back »
Some proper panic merchants out today.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on August 11, 2019, 03:29:36 pm by Donnybax »
Our recruitment really is very very poor

Why?
look at what we’ve signed from the apparent big budget. Senior players have left who would have been on decent money. It’s been well known since January that Marquis was leaving and yet we’ve had nobody lined up. We’ve signed plenty of loans again and there seems no long termism to what we are doing at all so next summer we will just have the exact same. 

Are you saying Darren Moore knew that JM was leaving since January and he also had the inside track on the possible overtures from Hull for GM....
So therefore should have known his own demise, and got some strikers lined up?

Is that what you are saying?....
If not.....what the hell are you saying????
everyone at the club knew marquis was leaving. I don’t quite see your point? If Moore had done his research then yes he would have known he was leaving. Moore had a little black book full of players we were told on his arrival and also that there was a budget to back him. So where is this then? Since he arrived we’ve signed 4 loan players. A centre back with a dreadful injury record and Taylor who is no doubt a good signing. It’s not brilliant recruitment is it?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on August 11, 2019, 03:30:02 pm by sha66y »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

It’s pretty much unavoidable when your striker leaves a week before the season starts AND your former Manager nips in to sign the replacements before our new manager is in place!!

We're not talking about the manager, it's the player you plan for. for Copps sake !!!!!!

Jesus wept!! You’re not going to keep the same player shortlist for a new manager are you!! You e got to start again from scratch

Herbert.,
It looks like it’s thee n me against them...
Don’t bring a brain cell, it’s not needed....

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on August 11, 2019, 03:30:15 pm by Donnybax »

that’s not really the way it works in football anymore

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on August 11, 2019, 03:30:35 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Why?
look at what we’ve signed from the apparent big budget. Senior players have left who would have been on decent money. It’s been well known since January that Marquis was leaving and yet we’ve had nobody lined up. We’ve signed plenty of loans again and there seems no long termism to what we are doing at all so next summer we will just have the exact same.

How can we have any long term preparation when our manager has only been in place a month?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #97 on August 11, 2019, 03:32:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Thank f**k we didn't lose the last couple of games. There'd be heads exploding all over the site.

I suspect there's going to be one or two very embarrassed silences coming up in the next week or two. Hopefully, extended silences.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on August 11, 2019, 03:34:24 pm by Donnybax »

Why?

How can we have any long term preparation when our manager has only been in place a month?
because you should have a good scouting range in the club. As a club we should be looking at players who could have potentially replaced Marquis, who could potentially replace Whiteman, Wright etc. That’s how it should be planned with a good scouting network for options in these positions should our best assets leave.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on August 11, 2019, 03:37:22 pm by Pliskin »
I agree with the current scepticism of the club's transfer policy, if one exists.

Despite the good work that the club has done to improve its non-football operations, the way the football side of things are run still leaves a lot to be desired.

Sanctioning the sale of your only proven striker days before the season begins, without being pretty damn certain that an able replacement will be coming in sharpish, seems like a poor move. Especially having known all through the summer that he'd likely be off. How can something like this have seemingly taken the club by surprise?

I'm not keen on targeting more loan signings, we have plenty already. We ought to be investing the money in replacing one saleable asset with one or two more to keep the cycle going in the future.

I don't have a problem with loan signings to boost the squad, but an over reliance on loans players can be a problem. If 3/4 of your core first team players leave at the end of their loan period, add in a few more players whose contracts expire and move on (e.g. Rowe, Andrew) then that leaves you with a lot of work to do every summer before you can even start to think on improving from last year.

I obviously want the club to succeed, but the current strategy feels worryingly reactive and short-termist.

Short termist and reactive?? That’s what people in here are criticising the club for NOT being!

Your point being what exactly?

To reiterate, I agree with the following criticisms of the club:

a) Not being proactive in identifying and working to bring in Marquis replacements in good time despite knowing for months that he'd be going.
b) Seemingly prioritising short term solutions rather than investing in the next saleable asset.

Both of which have been discussed in this thread. Do you disagree with them?

What I’m confused by is how you can accuse the club of short-termism. If that was the case surely we’d have bought the first striker available? Secondly, you’re accusing the club of not being pro active re Marquis replacement. If you’d read the whole thread you’ll see that we DID have a shortlist of potential replacements that was formulated should JM decide to leave, which wasn’t known for sure until after the Charlton game by the way. However this list, created with GM, was redundant as soon as GM left! So, all the planning that had taken place before hand was meaningless and it was back to the drawing board. So, with this in mind how about sharing with us exactly what the club should have done differently?

As I've said, the club instinctively turning to loan players, and heavily relying on that system (we currently have 4 loanees and are targeting another), rather than developing our own players is a short-termist approach. If we were to go down the route of signing older players on 1 year deals to replace saleable assets, then that would be short-termist too. Nowhere have I said that the club should be targeting the first players that become available.

I don't see why all recruitment planning should go out of the window if the manager leaves. If your recruitment plans rest entirely on the presence of one individual, in a role which has an average tenure of about 18 months then it isn't very robust is it? When Moore was appointed, Gavin Baldwin said that we had deals in place so I'm not sure that's even true. What happened after that, I have no idea.

Even so, we still had three weeks with a manager in place before the season started. How much time do we want like? Three weeks should easily be enough time to make progress on bringing a striker in if there is a plan in place. If not, then no one would ever sign anybody.

And even then, if we'd still not made progress on bringing a replacement striker in, is it wise to sanction the Marquis transfer in that scenario? Or do you push back and say, like other clubs do, that we'll sell, but only once we've found a replacement?

If we'd have been proactive we'd have had a striker in either before Marquis left or ready to confirm if and when he did. If we'd have waited until he left before trying to move for a replacement then I can understand why we're in the situation that we're in.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on August 11, 2019, 03:39:13 pm by sha66y »

Why?

Are you saying Darren Moore knew that JM was leaving since January and he also had the inside track on the possible overtures from Hull for GM....

everyone at the club knew marquis was leaving. I don’t quite see your point? If Moore had done his research then yes he would have known he was leaving. Moore had a little black book full of players we were told on his arrival and also that there was a budget to back him. So where is this then? Since he arrived we’ve signed 4 loan players. A centre back with a dreadful injury record and Taylor who is no doubt a good signing. It’s not brilliant recruitment is it?

Let me get this right...
If everyone at the club knew JM was leaving in January,

then by your flawed logic, everyone at the club must have known we wouldn’t get promoted by May.... am I right so far?

So you are saying we ( being Grant McCann) should have brought in or at least identified potential strikers for the eventuality of failing to get promoted?

Am I right in thinking that this appears flawed by a timeline and an eventual outcome to the season?
I mean ....would JM have left for league one Portsmouth if we had got promotion....mmmmmmm before you react ac I fear....reread the timelines and possible season outcome, and come to the same conclusion you did!

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 11, 2019, 03:40:05 pm by Copps is Magic »
The trouble is..there's a lot of...

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

..going on the forum. Not one person has provided a convincing counter argument why signing another loan striker is a better approach than spending (the supposed) money we have on a young, long-term prospect striker, that's our own and has a long term potential resale value.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on August 11, 2019, 03:42:54 pm by sha66y »

Why?

because you should have a good scouting range in the club. As a club we should be looking at players who could have potentially replaced Marquis, who could potentially replace Whiteman, Wright etc. That’s how it should be planned with a good scouting network for options in these positions should our best assets leave.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, .....we clearly havent

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on August 11, 2019, 03:43:43 pm by Donnybax »

Why?

Let me get this right...

then by your flawed logic, everyone at the club must have known we wouldn’t get promoted by May.... am I right so far?

So you are saying we ( being Grant McCann) should have brought in or at least identified potential strikers for the eventuality of failing to get promoted?

Am I right in thinking that this appears flawed by a timeline and an eventual outcome to the season?
I mean ....would JM have left for league one Portsmouth if we had got promotion....mmmmmmm before you react ac I fear....reread the timelines and possible season outcome, and come to the same conclusion you did!
he expressed a desire to leave on the last day of the January window and grant asked him to stay until the end of the season. At the very least that makes it a possibility of him leaving. Now if that’s the case should the club not be looking at potential replacements? Just as we should for the other assets I’ve mentioned. Surely that is a better long term approach?

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 11, 2019, 03:45:13 pm by Donnybax »

Why?

right then. That’s all I’m saying that our recruitment hasn’t been good and there should be more of a long term approach too it and all you get is being jumped on for being a doom and gloom merchant.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on August 11, 2019, 03:46:40 pm by nortikorner »
Two games in Two points both scored by a sub with 40minutes play time in both games
does that say something
 Alfie May men of match both games  we need Help

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on August 11, 2019, 03:50:07 pm by sha66y »

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

..going on the forum. Not one person has provided a convincing counter argument why signing another loan striker is a better approach than spending (the supposed) money we have on a young, long-term prospect striker, that's our own and has a long term potential resale value.

Ok I’ll have a go...
The loan for a striker is like a stop gap, ....get a good one in and you can scrape some results whilst taking your time to really do some homework on strikers you actually want....not perfect, but an ideal solution to a problem ..... yes the loans will leave in 6-12 months but in that time the new manager has set up his off field team, and the right players are being targeted , maybe even tapped up ...who knows...

A loan striker makes sense under our circumstances, ..it’s not about the money at this point, it’s about keeping within shouting distance of the pack, without hastily committing to a striker that may not work out

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on August 11, 2019, 03:50:50 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Why?

Let me get this right...

he expressed a desire to leave on the last day of the January window and grant asked him to stay until the end of the season. At the very least that makes it a possibility of him leaving. Now if that’s the case should the club not be looking at potential replacements? Just as we should for the other assets I’ve mentioned. Surely that is a better long term approach?

I’m sorry for having to repeat myself on this thread, but we DID have a shortlist of replacements for JM identified by GM. However, he took one of these with him to Hull. The list meant nothing after GM left.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 11, 2019, 03:53:32 pm by Copps is Magic »

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

Ok I’ll have a go...
The loan for a striker is like a stop gap, ....get a good one in and you can scrape some results whilst taking your time to really do some homework on strikers you actually want....not perfect, but an ideal solution to a problem ..... yes the loans will leave in 6-12 months but in that time the new manager has set up his off field team, and the right players are being targeted , maybe even tapped up ...who knows...

A little an striker makes sense under our circumstances, ..it’s not about the money at this point, it’s about keeping within shouting distance of the pack, without hastily committing to a striker that may not work out

stop gap
scrape some results
leave in 6-12 months
keeping within shouting distance

Thanks. All I needed to confirm my own opinion.
I pray to the gods our club's not being run like that.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on August 11, 2019, 03:53:50 pm by ravenrover »
Are we getting a little hysterical here, read the whole article and what he says near the end "we have offers in for a couple"

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on August 11, 2019, 03:54:36 pm by Copps is Magic »
read the whole article and what he says near the end "we have offers in for a couple"

Posh and Becks? That would spice things up.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on August 11, 2019, 03:55:44 pm by sha66y »

Why?

right then. That’s all I’m saying that our recruitment hasn’t been good and there should be more of a long term approach too it and all you get is being jumped on for being a doom and gloom merchant.

Ya can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear....
We are what we are, pointing out our flaws doesn’t make the flaw go away....it only takes one to throw a stone before the looting and fires start...

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on August 11, 2019, 03:56:08 pm by Donnybax »

Why?

Let me get this right...

I’m sorry for having to repeat myself on this thread, but we DID have a shortlist of replacements for JM identified by GM. However, he took one of these with him to Hull. The list meant nothing after GM left.
that’s where we need better recruitment. When we change our manager we tend to change the manager and the assistant but not the scouting network. I think we need some sort of director of football or head of recruitment to deal with that side of things

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on August 11, 2019, 04:01:27 pm by sha66y »

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

Ok I’ll have a go...

A little an striker makes sense under our circumstances, ..it’s not about the money at this point, it’s about keeping within shouting distance of the pack, without hastily committing to a striker that may not work out

stop gap
scrape some results
leave in 6-12 months

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

Ok I’ll have a go...

stop gap
scrape some results
leave in 6-12 months

I’m sorry, did that little bit of truth hurt?
The club just doesn’t have a magic wand to make everything alright,
the kid fell off the new bike and needs a plaster....
We are currently wearing that plaster......

Not sure what you are expecting really!
I doubt the club will issue a statement stating it’s failures, perhaps because at this moment in time things are still on Darren’s Track....and they have a little bit more trust in the outcomes than us......

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on August 11, 2019, 04:11:26 pm by IDM »
Are we getting a little hysterical here, read the whole article and what he says near the end "we have offers in for a couple"

Indeed,, folks see “loan” mentioned in the article for one player and the blinkers go on..

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on August 11, 2019, 04:11:47 pm by vaya »
Two games in Two points both scored by a sub with 40minutes play time in both games
does that say something

Who's this sub who scored both goals?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on August 11, 2019, 04:18:59 pm by sha66y »
does that say something
Two points both scored by a sub with 40 minutes play time in both games
What does this actually mean?
Does that say something
What does this actually mean?
Alfie May men of match both games, we need help!
What does this actually mean???

I’m sure you have a point to make, and it all made sense has it sluiced through your head, however it appears to have got lost once it left there....

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #117 on August 11, 2019, 04:24:07 pm by dickos1 »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.

How come everyone is now saying what I was implying a week ago but got dogs abuse for.

When you say we shouldn’t of let Marquis go, are you actually proposing that we should have kept him against his wishes?

Do you think he would have put his all into chasing and harrying defences, putting in potential career changing tackles, bearing in mind he wants the big pay day....are you thinking the rest of the players would rally to him and support him, knowing he was jumping ship once we got his replacement in...

I don’t get what you think a disgruntled player can offer to a club once he’s made his mind up to leave!!

Not sure if you’re aware or not but he was under contract, there will be dozens of players that would like a move but if the club doesn’t feel they can replace them then they don’t go.
Zaha being a prime example,

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on August 11, 2019, 04:25:53 pm by Retdon1 »

whatabouterry
whatifferry
maybeiffery

Ok I’ll have a go...

A loan striker makes sense under our circumstances, ..it’s not about the money at this point, it’s about keeping within shouting distance of the pack, without hastily committing to a striker that may not work out

We should not be buying stop gaps. How long does it take to identify a striker. If DM and his staff are struggling to identify a striker rather than relying on “stop gaps” then maybe we need to bring someone in to take charge of the recruitment side of things so DM can concentrate on coaching the side. To be going into week 3 of the season without a single striker in your first team squad isn’t good enough imo. We have played 2 bang average sides and only got 2 points. The next 2 games will be a great deal tougher

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on August 11, 2019, 04:30:20 pm by Retdon1 »

What’s the point in contracts then if every player who wants to leave should just be let go. “Being held captive and being made to play” are you being serious... you mean actually doing his job... you do write some absolute rubbish

TinyPortal © 2005-2012