Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:36:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: This isn't the Brexit I voted for...  (Read 5850 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
This isn't the Brexit I voted for...
« on February 14, 2020, 07:13:49 pm by wilts rover »
Pity the poor Brexitier finding out that it will take longer to clear immigration on a visit to Europe - who knew!!

https://twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
Re: This isn't the Brexit I voted for...
« Reply #1 on February 14, 2020, 08:26:51 pm by turnbull for england »
It's only the foreigners he voted to stop, not the nice honest English folk travelling abroad......

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 14, 2020, 09:15:44 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
What...didn't he tick the box on the referendum voting slip that said 'I want to keep Freedom Of Movement'..?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 14, 2020, 09:37:33 pm by foxbat »
or the box saying ' Brexit won't affect me '.
there is going to be a lot of this until we rejoin

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 15, 2020, 04:59:12 am by SydneyRover »
Wait till the magic points system comes into play. I can't remember how all those temporary jobs will be filled? the jobs where points don't matter, temporary visas will fill the void.

Lot's talk about the points system in Australia as some sort of fix, they're right a political fix because it puts a sort of stop to freedom of movement but alll the goverenmnet does is raise the number of temp visas Australia has millions every year, same people different visa.

Employers have to prove they can't find locals to fill the job then 'sponsor' somone from O/S to fill the position. It leads to local training being cut back with many employers advertising the position in a way that makes it hard to fill, I worked for a couple of companies with branches here where companies bring in 'experts' from their base but the job being very un-special.

As for boat arrivals I'm guessing if it's anything like here yes we have stopped a lot of the boats but yet again this figure is always dwarfed the the thousands arriving by air and 'disappear'

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 15, 2020, 06:54:56 am by Donnywolf »
I am loath to post here BUT ..... Boston (Lincolnshire) I think had the highest Leave vote of the Referendum (cant be bothered to look)

The local Population and that of Wisbech (Cambridgeshire) consisted of lots of EU migrants being employed in the "fields" picking Veg and largely taking up lots of jobs that others locally could do but were not doing

Pro rata they took up kids places in Schools and Doctors appointments etc - so the local English population voted en masse to have the EU Migrants sent back to presumably free up the School places and Doctors appointments and of course space at Bostom Pilgrim Hospital which serves a huge area

That was the right of the voters and they took it and I for one defend their right to do so just as my vote should be respected by those very same people

So that will be the end of the EU Migrants and everyone will be happy wont they ? Oh but wait who will pick the Cabbages and who will do the menial tasks that need to be done.

Well I am guessing it will be lots of the people that voted to upset the status quo. Lets face it there are lots of people who wont / dont or cant work and I suspect they will be cajoled / encouraged by stopping of benefits and made to work by the Government that is pledging to make us all one equal Country

The only alternative I suspect is to pay people a massive amount to move to Boston and Wisbech and Kings Lynn etc to fill those menial jobs which of course will push up the prices of those goods and services. I include services because there will be many vacancies in many Towns that will soon need filling

Hotel receptionists - Waiters Barmen etc etc and when the current pool of labour diminishes we will STILL as a population want a Starbucks Coffee or a cheap Haircut and someone will need to do it

I knew I should not have started ! 

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 15, 2020, 10:37:34 am by SydneyRover »
cabbages maybe all folk could be eating in the not to distant future Wolfy.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on February 15, 2020, 10:54:01 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I say the immigrants should stay over there and pick THEIR OWN cabbages.

Shamelessly stolen from the finest 10 minute stand-up routine on attitudes to immigration.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFLjhV9TJsQk&ved=2ahUKEwiX0bTmr9PnAhWGVhUIHSeeC-kQwqsBMAN6BAgDEBM&usg=AOvVaw2XKZu9S-OTSEBGYytPPFc9

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 15, 2020, 10:57:58 am by Bentley Bullet »
cabbages maybe all folk could be eating in the not to distant future Wolfy.

There'll probably be a lot of sour Krauts about.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 15, 2020, 11:30:00 am by Sprotyrover »
More like Sea cucumbers!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 15, 2020, 11:39:10 am by Sprotyrover »
Oh by the way I have had long waits every time I have flown about the Euro zone si I expect this is Parody.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on February 15, 2020, 11:49:14 am by BillyStubbsTears »
You mean the Schengen Area Sproty?

I typically fly to Schengen countries 6-8 times a year. I can't remember the last time I was queuing for more than 5 mins getting through immigration there.

Coming back here, though...

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 15, 2020, 11:55:04 am by SydneyRover »
Is Parody in the Schengen region sprot?  :lol:

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 15, 2020, 11:55:30 am by Copps is Magic »
This doesn't really have anything to do with brexit. Anyone returning/going to the schengan area at Amsterdam (Dutch, British or Otherwise) has to face this queue. I've been stuck in this exact queue many times in the past - its a very disorganised system (an absolutely rarity for the Dutch whose midddle name is functionalism alongside van) - they shuffle everyone with an electronic passport into the section shown on the photo, there is no lines for the queues, people don't know how to work the machines, they break down etc. 

Now, travelling between Schengan countries that's the real luxury, I almost feel guilty, having my passport half out ready to show someone but no one cares.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 15, 2020, 11:57:37 am by Copps is Magic »
Oh, and while I generally get a sense that as British person I am welcomed here in the Netherlands, they are majorly fed up of British tourists in Amsterdam, and they will make it more difficult and less easy for them to travel in the future.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on February 15, 2020, 01:08:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Racist buggers!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on February 15, 2020, 02:06:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Never had a moment's trouble getting through School immigration Coops. I must have been lucky.

But yes INTRA-Schengen travel is a joy. Our border obsession only focusses on the negatives, and misses out on the massive positives of the Schengen arrangement.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 15, 2020, 02:29:33 pm by Ldr »
It says a lot about the psyche of a lot of English people that we need to get people in from overseas to do those jobs whilst we have unemployment. Do local unemployed see themselves as too good for that sort of work?

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on February 15, 2020, 05:00:50 pm by Not Now Kato »
It says a lot about the psyche of a lot of English people that we need to get people in from overseas to do those jobs whilst we have unemployment. Do local unemployed see themselves as too good for that sort of work?

It says a lot about the psyche of a lot of English people that they thought we would be better outside the EU than we would be in it without a shred of evidence that that would be the case.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 15, 2020, 05:05:51 pm by DonnyOsmond »

It says a lot about the psyche of a lot of English people that they thought we would be better outside the EU than we would be in it without a shred of evidence that that would be the case.

But... Brexit means brexit?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on February 15, 2020, 05:15:07 pm by wilts rover »

If the locals thought they were 'too good' to pick cabbages then surely they would welcome foreign immigrants in to do that work? But clearly they don't.

This is also something I have wondered for a while with this 'points based system'. If your 'points based system is only designed to allow highly skilled workers into the country - who is going to do the hard rubbish jobs?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on February 15, 2020, 06:54:37 pm by SydneyRover »
Like I said Wilts, it will be the same people on different visas, cos we took back control

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on February 15, 2020, 08:21:47 pm by BigH »
After the EU referendum the Isle of Man saw quite a few Europeans leave.

It meant that the locals had to pick up the low end menial, decorating and waiting jobs. Only they demanded higher wages to do so.

Inflation jumped to 6%.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on February 15, 2020, 08:37:15 pm by SydneyRover »
That's an interesting bit of info BH, especially if you're on a fixed income or in fact going backwards everything from plumbing to cornflakes rises.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on February 16, 2020, 02:04:06 am by Glyn_Wigley »

It meant that the locals had to pick up the low end menial, decorating and waiting jobs. Only they demanded higher wages to do so.

Inflation jumped to 6%.

The Isle of Man has never been in the EU!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on February 16, 2020, 04:02:39 am by SydneyRover »
Found this:

https://www.internationalinvestment.net/internationalinvestment/news/3500203/isle-moves-address-skilled-worker-shortage

and this:

''Financial services, manufacturing, and tourism are key sectors of the economy. The government offers low taxes and other incentives to high-technology companies and financial institutions to locate on the island; this has paid off in expanding employment opportunities in high-income industries. As a result, agriculture and fishing, once the mainstays of the economy, have declined in their contributions to GDP. The Isle of Man also attracts online gambling sites and the film industry. Online gambling sites provided about 10% of the islands income in 2014. The Isle of Man currently enjoys free access to EU markets and trade is mostly with the UK. The Isle of Man’s trade relationship with the EU derives from the United Kingdom’s EU membership and will need to be renegotiated in light of the United Kingdom’s decision to withdraw from the bloc. A transition period is expected to allow the free movement of goods and agricultural products to the EU until the end of 2020 or until a new settlement is negotiated''

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/im.html

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on February 16, 2020, 08:10:04 am by BigH »

Inflation jumped to 6%.

The Isle of Man has never been in the EU!
I know.

My point is the inflationary effect of suddenly losing a whole load of cheap labour!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 16, 2020, 08:38:11 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Of course the massive irony here is that even IF EU immigration does reduce it will simply increase migration from the Commonwealth! So, not only will we have just as many migrants but even more of them will have different coloured skin! That’s sure to send the racists into a rage!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 16, 2020, 09:02:24 am by DonnyOsmond »
Of course the massive irony here is that even IF EU immigration does reduce it will simply increase migration from the Commonwealth! So, not only will we have just as many migrants but even more of them will have different coloured skin! That’s sure to send the racists into a rage!

Yeah, what do people think we're going to offer India in a free trade deal? :laugh:

Erm... Would you like some lovely immigration.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on February 16, 2020, 09:16:42 am by Not Now Kato »

If the locals thought they were 'too good' to pick cabbages then surely they would welcome foreign immigrants in to do that work? But clearly they don't.

This is also something I have wondered for a while with this 'points based system'. If your 'points based system is only designed to allow highly skilled workers into the country - who is going to do the hard rubbish jobs?

Maybe the government's plan is to stop unemployment benefits to force people into these 'menial' jobs?  Would certainly meet with approval from a large section of England.  I wonder how many of the unemployed voted leave, and how many would  be happy with that situation if it happened to them?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012