Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:06:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Congratualtions Keir Starmer  (Read 80721 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Congratualtions Keir Starmer
« Reply #720 on October 07, 2020, 11:34:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound. It's not about whether any individual complains or not. It is the deeply undemocratic nature of the power that is vested in someone who gains their position through such a flawed process. Most union members don't ever even think about their leadership. They aren't interested in the political consequences. They just want the insurance of an organisation on their if the bosses mistreat them. So McCluskey gets huge national power because his people can mobilise a tiny number of members to vote for him. It is manifestly wrong but I don't know how you solve it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #721 on October 08, 2020, 12:34:27 am by idler »
In the late 60s I worked at a firm in Donny where one lad became very interested in Union matters. He became a shop steward and was always consulting his rule book. He decided to stand for position at a higher level and asked about eight of us to go to the trades club to support him. His opponent was an old chap that probably expected to get in unopposed. The eight of us were enough to get our lad in and he was a disaster, eventually resigning from his job and the union. That's the danger of low turn outs.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #722 on October 12, 2020, 01:13:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CiM

Your first sentence trumps EVERY anti-EU argument I've ever heard. I've made this point many times and never had a coherent response from anyone who is against the EU. I'll make it again here.

In living memory, before joining the EU there were civil wars in:

Spain
Croatia
Slovenia
UK
Ireland

There were military dictatorships in:
Spain
Portugal
Greece
Bulgaria
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria
Romania
Portugal
Czechia
Slovakia
Hungary
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Germany
France
Italy

The following countries were invaded by land or attacked by air by other nations.

UK
Greece
Bulgaria
Croatia
Slovenia
Austria
Romania
Portugal
Czechia
Slovakia
Hungary
Estonia
Lithuania
Latvia
Germany
France
Italy
Denmark
Finland
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Belgium

Every single one of those countries has enjoyed unbroken democracy since joining the EU. Not a single one has had an invasion or a civil war start.

It is simply madness to undermine the structure that has played such a role in securing this unprecedented era of European stability. And anyone who rubs their hands at the EU being weakened has no comprehension whatsoever of the massive dangers that history warns us of.

Like I say, over and over again, why do you think Putin wants the EU weakened?

I've still never heard a sensible answer from a Leave supporter to this argument on the vital importance of the EU.

Go east from the EU. First country you come to is Belarus.

This is what is happening right now to ordinary people in Belarus who have had the gall to protest against the dictator Lukashenko.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1315346386586656769

That is how political protestors against dictators were dealt with in countries throughout Europe within living memory. The EU has been a vital part of making that unthinkable.

Leave supporters say it wouldn't happen anyway these days because times have changed. But that's demonstrably wrong. It IS happening. In Europe. Today. In the first country you get to when you cross the boundary out if the EU.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #723 on October 14, 2020, 03:48:02 pm by Metalmicky »
It will be interesting to see how the EU fairs if and when the door is opened to the likes of Albania, Serbia, North Macedonia, Montenegro and (last but not least) Turkey......

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #724 on October 14, 2020, 03:51:13 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It will be interesting to see how the EU fairs if and when the door is opened to the likes of Albania, Serbia, North Macedonia, Montenegro and (last but not least) Turkey......

It won't be in my lifetime.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #725 on October 14, 2020, 03:59:25 pm by Bentley Bullet »

That's a rather selfish statement! What about our poor kids and Grandkids?

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #726 on October 14, 2020, 04:31:03 pm by Metalmicky »

Although all are 'candidate countries' they and are enjoying billions in funding from the EU in pre-accession funding - as well as other financial assistance direct from the EU purse.

I also know that all 5 of these countries are receiving millions from the EU to support the Covid-19 crisis.   

Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo are also in the pipeline and already get millions from the in EU in funding and support.. 

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #727 on October 14, 2020, 07:15:50 pm by EasyforDennis »

Although all are 'candidate countries' they and are enjoying billions in funding from the EU in pre-accession funding - as well as other financial assistance direct from the EU purse.

I also know that all 5 of these countries are receiving millions from the EU to support the Covid-19 crisis.   

Bosnia and Herzegovina and Kosovo are also in the pipeline and already get millions from the in EU in funding and support..

But don't forget our NHS are getting £350m a week when we come out of the EU. I wonder when that will start?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #728 on October 16, 2020, 09:30:51 pm by selby »
  He has enough on his plate watching his back with his own pack of wolves in his own back yard at the.
  There is nothing wrong with the Labour movement, but a lot wrong with the people in it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #729 on October 19, 2020, 12:51:20 pm by selby »
Diane Abbott having a pop at old Stabber Starmer, turning the knife around on him.  The far left is his big problem.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #730 on October 19, 2020, 01:25:26 pm by idler »
I wouldn't think that many supporters of either party take much notice of her.
She always came across as arrogant and condescending to me.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #731 on October 19, 2020, 03:25:07 pm by EasyforDennis »
Let's face it nobody takes Abbott seriously. Her and Corbyn were two of the reasons many former traditional Labour voters didn't vote Labour at the last election.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #732 on October 19, 2020, 03:32:14 pm by Axholme Lion »

But don't forget our NHS are getting £350m a week when we come out of the EU. I wonder when that will start?

I think the NHS is getting plenty of money considering you can't get to see a doctor, have blood test, dental check up, cancer treatment etc. They should call it the NCS as that seems to be all they are interested in.

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #733 on October 19, 2020, 03:37:48 pm by turnbull for england »
Rang up last week, same day appt video call to doc and physical visit to nurse - they did say follow up will take a while but not urgent do no complaints

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #734 on October 19, 2020, 04:14:19 pm by Axholme Lion »
Rang up last week, same day appt video call to doc and physical visit to nurse - they did say follow up will take a while but not urgent do no complaints

I would say most people over fifty do not have the facility or now how to do a video call. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin also I have no iPhone or internet at home.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #735 on October 19, 2020, 05:16:20 pm by drfchound »

I would say most people over fifty do not have the facility or now how to do a video call. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin also I have no iPhone or internet at home.

You clearly underestimate lots of people over fifty.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #736 on October 19, 2020, 05:17:27 pm by Filo »
Our doctors ate shocking, they’ve even stopped taking prescription requests over the phone, you have to email them in now

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #737 on October 19, 2020, 05:22:13 pm by EasyforDennis »
Let's face it nobody takes Abbott seriously. Her and Corbyn were two of the reasons many former traditional Labour voters didn't vote Labour at the last election.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #738 on October 19, 2020, 05:22:43 pm by Janso »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #739 on October 19, 2020, 05:24:54 pm by wilts rover »
Our doctors ate shocking, they’ve even stopped taking prescription requests over the phone, you have to email them in now

You literally cannot get repeat prescriptions from the GP in Wiltshire. It is all done centrally through a prescription ordering service, either online or a long wait on a 0800 number. All part of the privatisation of services - you will get it soon.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #740 on October 19, 2020, 05:26:26 pm by EasyforDennis »

Have you got electricity?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #741 on October 19, 2020, 05:28:43 pm by wilts rover »
Wow how much of a coincidence is that. EfD and Janso writing exactly the same quote 30 seconds apart. They must be psychic.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #742 on October 19, 2020, 05:31:04 pm by EasyforDennis »
Wow how much of a coincidence is that. EfD and Janso writing exactly the same quote 30 seconds apart. They must be psychic.

I thought it a bit weird too. Although the site is playing up a bit on my phone lately.

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #743 on October 19, 2020, 05:33:20 pm by Janso »

I thought it a bit weird too. Although the site is playing up a bit on my phone lately.

I was just being a knob because I'd seen you'd already posted an identical post earlier.  :laugh:

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #744 on October 19, 2020, 09:24:12 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It's modernisation isn't it? You'd call it shocking I call it brilliant.  I press a button on app, a day or so later it notifies me the prescription is done and I collect the medication. It's superb and saves so much time.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #745 on October 19, 2020, 10:31:00 pm by Filo »

It's modernisation isn't it? You'd call it shocking I call it brilliant.  I press a button on app, a day or so later it notifies me the prescription is done and I collect the medication. It's superb and saves so much time.

But what about the elderly, some don’t have a mobile phone, let alone a smart phone, never sent an email or used the internet

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #746 on October 20, 2020, 10:13:55 am by EasyforDennis »

Same here but I don't have to collect my prescriptions. Order them online through the Well app and they take care of the rest including delivery. All free.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #747 on October 20, 2020, 10:15:29 am by EasyforDennis »

But what about the elderly, some don’t have a mobile phone, let alone a smart phone, never sent an email or used the internet

Most if not all pharmacies around Doncaster deliver prescriptions free to older people.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #748 on October 20, 2020, 11:28:24 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Everyone has to move with the times no matter what age. My nearly 90 year old grandfather manages. Equally my grandmother also on her own doesn't. What we as a society need to do is find ways to make it work for the elderly. It will not work for all but most can and would be able to manage it.

What I'm sure most offer is the sensible service for the elderly.  Mine certainly does and my grandmother has no issues either being able to do it in the old manual way.  Modernising for the high % of the population that can actually frees up that resource for those that cannot, which is sensible management of the demand.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #749 on October 21, 2020, 07:37:46 pm by tyke1962 »
I'd be sounding  Andy Burnham out before too long if this doesn't improve .

https://mobile.twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1318936490357948416

TinyPortal © 2005-2012