Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:13:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: EFL season over  (Read 58259 times)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: EFL season over
« Reply #120 on May 15, 2020, 12:05:27 pm by silent majority »
Given we are neither going to get promoted or relegated, my only concern is we do not end up with null and void which will wipe out all the 2019/20 appearances and goals from Copps’ career record.

Surely the season will only become void from a clubs 'finishing position' point of view? Individual appearances and career stats will remain.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #121 on May 15, 2020, 01:37:36 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Given we are neither going to get promoted or relegated, my only concern is we do not end up with null and void which will wipe out all the 2019/20 appearances and goals from Copps’ career record.

Surely the season will only become void from a clubs 'finishing position' point of view? Individual appearances and career stats will remain.

I certainly hope so, but the only precedent was the 1939-40 season being declared null and void, including personal records because of WW2. But only three games had been played and IMHO it would be a nonsense and an insult to void personal records this season after 35/36 games.

I just  hope the precedent of individual voided matches (e.g. teams dropping out mid season like Accrington Stanley in 1962-63) is not considered. Or indeed the precedent of abandoned matches - I still find it unfair that Paul Keegan retained his red card for the Charlton abandonment, but lost a rare goal, and Chris Brown lost 2 goals  :(

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on May 15, 2020, 02:26:57 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
Looks as though League 1 clubs can’t come to a decision re the rest of this season:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

Scroll through Comments at the bottom of the page, No. 32, we get a mention:
“Understand why teams 3rd to 7th position and Ipswich in 10th are against cancelling, yet find it strange that Doncaster and Wycombe in 8th and 9th positions are not, or if they are why they are not saying anything.”

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on May 15, 2020, 02:39:59 pm by Draytonian III »
If it goes Points Per Game Wycombe would be promoted that’s why they are keeping quiet.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on May 15, 2020, 02:48:41 pm by silent majority »
It doesn't surprise me at all to see which clubs want the season playing out. Its very much a selfish point of view.

Whilst ever the clock is ticking the situation gets financially worse, and the contractual situation is just going to make matters worse. For clarity they should close off the season now, let clubs reorganise their finances and sort out the contracts.

Let them prepare for a restart to next season, and fingers crossed that all clubs will survive.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on May 15, 2020, 03:07:17 pm by RoversAlias »
Those six clubs are this league's big spending clubs, all the ones who would miss out if they end the season now and only send the top two up (or straight PPG since Wycombe would join Coventry and Rotherham). So that is transparently why it is these six teams, acting selfishly to try and protect their own financial position.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on May 15, 2020, 03:11:32 pm by selby »
  SM, if the EFL committee had any leadership qualities your proffered outcome would have been instigated a couple of weeks ago, and things would have now been looking forward instead of uncertainty.
   I said on this forum weeks ago that the tail wags the dog, The heads of the EFL need to make the call whatever they decide, over rule the six clubs if it is necessary, and make a decision for the good of all the clubs they oversee and gain back control. The National league management make them look inept.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on May 15, 2020, 03:18:10 pm by ravenrover »
If the EFL make the decision they are wide open for court cases, letting the Clubs vote and make the decision removes that threat

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on May 15, 2020, 03:43:28 pm by silent majority »
  SM, if the EFL committee had any leadership qualities your proffered outcome would have been instigated a couple of weeks ago, and things would have now been looking forward instead of uncertainty.
   I said on this forum weeks ago that the tail wags the dog, The heads of the EFL need to make the call whatever they decide, over rule the six clubs if it is necessary, and make a decision for the good of all the clubs they oversee and gain back control. The National league management make them look inept.

It doesn't work like that though. The clubs are the EFL! They can't start laying the law down like you expect them to.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:48:14 pm by silent majority »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on May 15, 2020, 03:44:48 pm by silent majority »
It seems that EFL LG2 has decided that they will terminate their season now, as each division has the freedom to decide it's own fate.

How they do that is still to be decided.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on May 15, 2020, 03:47:59 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
League 2 clubs voted to end season, on a weighted points-per-game. Also proposed  that Stevenage are not relegated:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

That means that League 2 will now be one club short. Should we now look forward to welcoming back Barrow AFC after 48 years in the wilderness? I certainly hope so!
 :welcome:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:03:51 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on May 15, 2020, 03:51:49 pm by silent majority »
EFL Clubs Meeting this coming Friday with a decision expected shortly afterwards.

Yep, as I mentioned above. Meeting with Government on Thursday, clubs on Friday, but I think you may be disappointed about a decision shortly afterwards if my updated info is correct.

Is the meeting just to discuss this current seasons ending or will it be to discuss future changes too?

DO, my understanding is that salary cap proposals are to be relayed to the clubs in the next few days.

It probably won't make the meeting on Monday but at least there are some proposals out there and its possible they can be in place for the start of next season.

Yet again it adds to the pressure to call an end to this season and give clubs the chance to prepare.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on May 15, 2020, 03:53:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Apparently L2 are doing weighted PPG with play-offs.

If this is what happens in L1, I think we'll have had a shitty deal.

We are 6 points off 6th place as it stands on weighted PPG. That is in great part because our away record isn't great and we had 7 away games left.

But.

If the Bolton f**k up hadn't happened, we'd have immediately had three more points AND a better away PPG. That alone more than halves the gap.

Then look at the away matches we had left. Only 2 against sides in the top 11.
4 against sides in the bottom 12 (ignoring the Bolton game).

It is scarcely fair to weight our likely points tally in matches to come against MK Dons, Accrington, Burton and Blackpool by earlier season results against Oxford, Coventry, Wycombe and Fleetwood.

Bit of an annoying outcome if L1 does go that way.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on May 15, 2020, 03:58:35 pm by Chris Black come back »
We’ve not been good enough this season. Lots of reasons and some excuses, but we are not yet consistently good enough. Next season hope we can take the next step, but for this season we don’t really deserve to go up, let’s be honest.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on May 15, 2020, 04:19:31 pm by selby »
  So how would it pan out under that system, whatever I agree we have not been good enough although who is to say we would not have been that team that made it in a late run.
   Whoever goes up I wish them well, they may need it entering the division of insanity which has far more problems than division1.
   As I have said before I would void the season right through the divisions, which is just a personal view, but can accept what the majority vote for, but want a body that can take control of the situation and show some leadership and the determination for rules to be applied in future.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on May 15, 2020, 04:32:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I thought the decision would have to be unanimous across cross all 3 EFL leagues? I note the Stevenage proposal. It surely if they expect and outcome rather than voiding the season, if you take the promotions then surely you have to accept the relegations too?

For me it's either play the games out or void the season. That means it's the same for all clubs. Nobody gains and nobody loses. Well, certainly damage limitation anyway. All clubs have lost their match day income with no hope of recouping that money. Those in and  around the promotion and play off positions have a chance to recoup some of that money if they are successful. It does sound like the clubs who insist on a conclusion will indirectly cause some clubs to face the threat to their existance rather than just suffer relegation.

It's a mess but no club could have forseen it.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on May 15, 2020, 04:40:51 pm by selby »
  According to Matt Slater, the EFL board are recommending an un weighted points per game resolution but needs a 50+1 majority and a majority in the Championship.
  Apparently they have changed their minds on this if true.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on May 15, 2020, 05:10:38 pm by silent majority »
I thought the decision would have to be unanimous across cross all 3 EFL leagues? I note the Stevenage proposal. It surely if they expect and outcome rather than voiding the season, if you take the promotions then surely you have to accept the relegations too?

For me it's either play the games out or void the season. That means it's the same for all clubs. Nobody gains and nobody loses. Well, certainly damage limitation anyway. All clubs have lost their match day income with no hope of recouping that money. Those in and  around the promotion and play off positions have a chance to recoup some of that money if they are successful. It does sound like the clubs who insist on a conclusion will indirectly cause some clubs to face the threat to their existance rather than just suffer relegation.

It's a mess but no club could have forseen it.

No Baz, if they did that they'd never reach any decision! They have allowed all 3 divisions the opportunity to decide their own fate.

It's a fair bet that the Championship will follow the EPL. League 2 have wrapped up so I'm going to hazard a guess and say that LG1 will be the same.

However, anything they decide still has to get past the SAG and the Safety Officers, so I'm not expecting an easy pass.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:00:53 pm by silent majority »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on May 15, 2020, 05:38:18 pm by RoversAlias »
They surely shouldn't be allowing the divisions to just do as they please? It messes with the sporting integrity of things. If League One is decided by a different method to League Two, it raises all sorts of questions. And then you have the issue over promotion/relegation. If League One votes for no relegation and all, how can League Two then have four teams come up? There's no way we're having a 27 team league next season.

It's looking like a right mess. The PL/Championship, League One, League Two and National Leagues potentially all doing completely different things to sort the season out. And then lower non-league voided which is another different solution. Madness.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on May 15, 2020, 06:06:35 pm by silent majority »
They surely shouldn't be allowing the divisions to just do as they please? It messes with the sporting integrity of things. If League One is decided by a different method to League Two, it raises all sorts of questions. And then you have the issue over promotion/relegation. If League One votes for no relegation and all, how can League Two then have four teams come up? There's no way we're having a 27 team league next season.

It's looking like a right mess. The PL/Championship, League One, League Two and National Leagues potentially all doing completely different things to sort the season out. And then lower non-league voided which is another different solution. Madness.

RA, I've edited my comment above, sorry.

However, I think you're over complicating it. We've known for quite a while that the EPL will restart. And as an entity unto themselves they can do as they wish.

The EFL is more complicated. For LG1 and 2 teams the finances will be key. LG2 was easy, no big monied clubs to sway a vote against the consensus, but LG1 does have a few. However it only takes a simple majority to carry through a decision and I would suggest that the majority would want an end to the season. If you have nothing at stake why would you go to all the trouble and extra expense? Promotion and relegation will take place, its just how that's achieved that will take some discussion.

And to add to that, here's the comments of the Exeter City Chairman (fan owned club) who confirms my point;

At a meeting on Friday, it was unanimously indicated by the 24 teams in Sky Bet League Two that they would support proposals for the season to be cut short as long as long as promotion from the division took place, along with the play-offs.

Nothing has been finalised yet and the outcome will be determined on all three divisions – Championship, League One and League Two – agreeing on relegation and promotion issues as well as ratification coming from the EFL and FA boards.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:18:38 pm by silent majority »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on May 15, 2020, 06:39:35 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
We’ve not been good enough this season. Lots of reasons and some excuses, but we are not yet consistently good enough. Next season hope we can take the next step, but for this season we don’t really deserve to go up, let’s be honest.

I tend to agree.

Except...

That Bolton match gets played at the start of the season and we currently sit two points off the play-offs with 9 matches to go.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on May 15, 2020, 07:03:17 pm by drfchound »

However, I think you're over complicating it. We've known for quite a while that the EPL will restart. And as an entity unto themselves they can do as they wish.

The EFL is more complicated. For LG1 and 2 teams the finances will be key. LG2 was easy, no big monied clubs to sway a vote against the consensus, but LG1 does have a few. However it only takes a simple majority to carry through a decision and I would suggest that the majority would want an end to the season. If you have nothing at stake why would you go to all the trouble and extra expense? Promotion and relegation will take place, its just how that's achieved that will take some discussion.

And to add to that, here's the comments of the Exeter City Chairman (fan owned club) who confirms my point;

At a meeting on Friday, it was unanimously indicated by the 24 teams in Sky Bet League Two that they would support proposals for the season to be cut short as long as long as promotion from the division took place, along with the play-offs.

Nothing has been finalised yet and the outcome will be determined on all three divisions – Championship, League One and League Two – agreeing on relegation and promotion issues as well as ratification coming from the EFL and FA boards.

SM, I haven’t read the all of this thread so my question may have been answered.
I mentioned yesterday, if six clubs want to play and sixteen don’t, what happens.
You have just said that it only takes a simple majority to come to a decision so I guess that in itself answers my question.
It would seem then that if a vote is taken next week to finish the season straight away and use the ppg system to determine final league standings then the six club cartel are overruled.
Just out of interest, why couldn’t the clubs have voted today.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on May 15, 2020, 07:27:21 pm by NewDonny »
Personally I am struggling to see how the EFL can allow League 2 to reach a decision to call it a day with 2 Up and no relegation and yet two clubs, Portsmouth & Peterborough hold League One clubs up from making a similar decision and have to meet again on Monday.

The proposal is that Coventry & Rotherham are promoted then the third place promotion spot to be decided by play offs but because the method of deciding on who makes the play offs spots looks like excluding Peterborough on PPG and because Portsmouth want the opportunity to compete for the automatic promotion spots nothing has been agreed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on May 15, 2020, 07:39:53 pm by drfchound »
Personally I am struggling to see how the EFL can allow League 2 to reach a decision to call it a day with 2 Up and no relegation and yet two clubs, Portsmouth & Peterborough hold League One clubs up from making a similar decision and have to meet again on Monday.

The proposal is that Coventry & Rotherham are promoted then the third place promotion spot to be decided by play offs but because the method of deciding on who makes the play offs spots looks like excluding Peterborough on PPG and because Portsmouth want the opportunity to compete for the automatic promotion spots nothing has been agreed.

Again, why couldn’t the clubs just vote on this.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on May 15, 2020, 08:16:42 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Well, wouldn't it be a travesty of luck that Peterborough miss out. Bad luck seems to follow Darren about!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on May 15, 2020, 09:27:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

How do Peterborough miss out on a H/A weighted PPG?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/ppg-coventry-city-promotion-news-18220773.amp

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on May 15, 2020, 09:35:46 pm by RoversAlias »
The EFL want unweighted PPG which (I haven't looked like) may mean Peterborough getting into the Play Offs.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on May 15, 2020, 11:23:30 pm by silent majority »

SM, I haven’t read the all of this thread so my question may have been answered.
I mentioned yesterday, if six clubs want to play and sixteen don’t, what happens.
You have just said that it only takes a simple majority to come to a decision so I guess that in itself answers my question.
It would seem then that if a vote is taken next week to finish the season straight away and use the ppg system to determine final league standings then the six club cartel are overruled.
Just out of interest, why couldn’t the clubs have voted today.

Well, firstly if they do go to a vote then a simple majority suffices. But it didn't get to that point in the LG1 meeting. In discussions there was no consensus, unlike LG2 which did. The EFL board will not force the clubs into submission, there is no mandate for that. So, they need to agree on how to proceed, they couldn't do that today but extra proposals will be forthcoming before the next meeting.

Secondly they have to agree to terminate the season, once that is done they then have to agree on how that happens. But that will happen once all decisions are in so some kind of harmony across all the divisions exists.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on May 16, 2020, 08:47:18 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
If 6 clubs insist on playing on to a conclusion, and incurring the extra costs that brings, then would it be fair that those 6 foot the bill for the league?

Intruiging that LG2 are going with weighted PPG, yet LG1 appear to be going to unweighted PPG?

Seems maybe one or two clubs will leave no stone unturned to gain an advantage. Where is the sporting integrity?? Sounds like big mouth McAnthony is leading the way purely out of self interest, maybe understandable but surely he can't have it all his own way!?

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on May 16, 2020, 09:00:34 am by Draytonian III »
⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️ Totally agree with DonnyBazRover, one the teams that’s whinging is Ipswich who are 2pts behind us and played 2 more matches

TinyPortal © 2005-2012