Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:19:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 61415 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #60 on January 18, 2021, 07:14:30 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Selby's non sequitur of the day, right on time.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on January 18, 2021, 08:49:08 pm by SydneyRover »
''Seafood lorries travel to Westminster for protest against Brexit red tape''

I'm not revelling in the fact that these people are losing money and maybe their livlihoods but really what did they expect from brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/18/fishing-trucks-protest-at-westminster-against-brexit-red-tape

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on January 18, 2021, 09:29:21 pm by ravenrover »
Maybe they expected something they thought they were voting for, if indeed they even voted for it

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on January 18, 2021, 09:32:47 pm by MachoMadness »
Oddly Farage is quite quiet on this fishing issue. Very strange.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on January 18, 2021, 10:10:50 pm by SydneyRover »
lesser spotted dogfish is a bit of a flake

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on January 19, 2021, 03:51:04 pm by Not Now Kato »
Barnier tells it like it is

https://eminetra.co.uk/barnier-warns-that-post-brexit-border-friction-is-new-and-normal-2/220714/

Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving taking!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on January 19, 2021, 11:12:53 pm by SydneyRover »
stinking fish, get your stinking fish, come and get it.

DevilMayCry

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on January 20, 2021, 04:26:14 pm by DevilMayCry »
This is from Romanian news about Scottish Fishermans

Janso

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on January 20, 2021, 05:41:38 pm by Janso »
I've had a large crate stuck in Italy for a fortnight now because not a single haulier I've contacted has been able to take it due to the sheer volume of imports clogging up their systems. Absolute nightmare and there's a good chance we'll lose a high-value order we can't get our money back on the purchase for.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on January 20, 2021, 08:20:23 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Meanwhile, on a fishing forum I go on, anglers are up in arms following a posting from the Angling Trust....

The Angling Trust has joined forces with bait manufacturers Dynamite and Mainline in urgently seeking clarification on Brexit ruling which will effectively ban UK anglers from taking baits with them on fishing trips in Europe.

Since the UK-EU Trade Agreement came into force on January 1st, the export of baits derived from animal produce, such as boilies, requires a European Health Certificate (EHC) to be completed. At present, the EHC for baits of this sort are under the same requirements as exporting animal feed which involves exhaustive and expensive testing, and certification from a vet. To make export to Europe cost effective, the Angling Trust believes bait needs to sit under a simpler EHC classification.

Mark Owen, the Angling Trust’s Head of Freshwater, said:

“The Angling Trust has retained active engagement with the European Commission through our membership of the European Anglers Alliance and we will continue to press the EU to facilitate this change of EHC classification.

“It is apparent, from our understanding, that the current position will impact on anglers purchasing bait in England to go fishing in Europe once Covid travel restrictions are lifted as they would have to produce an EHC if challenged. We are presently seeking clarification that our interpretation is correct and more information will follow.”

Jamie Cook, Angling Trust CEO and keen carp angler, added:

“It’s ridiculous that fishing baits for a species that is returned alive are being treated as if they were part of the food production process. I have asked my team at the Angling Trust to work with the angling trade to press the European Commission to see sense.”

The Angling Trades Association also hope to provide a briefing on the issues next week.

The post Anglers to challenge Brexit bait ban appeared first on Angling Trust.

The irony is that those complaining are the very same people who voted for Brexit in the first place; of course, they blame the EU and still think Brexit is a good thing!

Whatever happened to education in this country?

I wonder if it will work the other way, when I was match fishing a lot of bloodworm came from Belgium, don’t know if its the same these days, but if it is I’m sure there will be barriers in the way now

In theory, yes. But our customs rules are not in place at the moment to handle it.  Whether we will do so in time remains to be seen, though I somehow doubt it.

The rules are there, but not the systems and trained personnel to implement them. They cost money!

Thanks for the correction Glyn.  It's a sign of the way this government handled the whole Brexit thing that the EU were fully prepared from day one and we weren't.  As you say, these things cost money and the usual UK way is to do things down to a price, not up to a standard!

As I was saying...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55735974

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on January 21, 2021, 10:33:01 am by i_ateallthepies »
Lucrative little sideline for you there, Glyn?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on January 21, 2021, 10:48:32 am by Glyn_Wigley »
In what way?

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on January 21, 2021, 10:57:49 am by i_ateallthepies »
Customs Advisor?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on January 21, 2021, 11:59:19 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Firstly, I'm not as healthy as I used to be when working for HMRC.

Secondly I'm not completely up to date with what's being retained and what has been jettisoned with regards to Duty Relief Schemes (which were one of my specialities).They were EU projects, so technically they could have been discarded when we left the EU - it would have been absolute fecking madness to do so because they benefit UK businesses who trade with third countries - or whether they might have been retained but the details modified. I've heard nothing about what's happened with regards to these.

Apart from those, Customs Procedures are basically the same as they have been for imports and exports to/from non-EU countries all the time we've been in the Single Market. They just now apply to movements to/from the EU now as well as the 27 have suddenly become third countries too. And, of course, the UK has now become a third country to the EU which means we get treated the same by the EU as they treat any other non-EU country, which a lot of the Brexiteers seem to think is the EU 'punishing' us! Basically, what's causing the problems is that too many people swallowed the massive lie that things would stay frictionless or somehow magically be better. I've been saying on this forum since before the referendum what was going to change but I was told that I couldn't possibly know what was going to happen...

Lastly, I wouldn't want to personally cash in on the avoidable distress Brexit is causing no end of UK businesses. That would make me no better than the Jacob Rees-Moggs et al of this world and I couldn't countenance that.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on January 21, 2021, 01:23:11 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Thanks for the explanation, Glyn.  I saw many of the exchanges you describe, people saying you couldn't possibly know.

Your final remark, an admirably principled position (pity those in this government seem not to understand the concept), but you have a clear conscience so far as brexit is concerned, you didn't contribute to its happening.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on January 21, 2021, 02:16:01 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
The final remark is really a hangover from being in C&E/HMRC. My view was that I was a public servant, not just there to collect anything due, but also to educate people and businesses what relief schemes were available, how they could benefit from them, what they needed to do to comply with the rules and what records they had to keep etc. That ethos still holds true to me. If anyone has a genuine query I'll try and help if I can.

Although I was there to verify stuff, I always saw my role as there to help them as much as possible as well even though it wasn't part of my official remit. The biggest help I could give was to tell them about having their own Duty Deferment Account - too many businesses were getting ripped off left, right and centre by shipping agents charging to use theirs.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on January 22, 2021, 12:53:09 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's someone who knew exactly what he was voting for when he voted Leave.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BylineTV/status/1352352805273657347

Flippancy aside, this is heartbreaking. Decent people, used then f**ked over.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on January 22, 2021, 07:21:00 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Interesting that nissan are bringing battery manufacture to Sunderland and committing long term.  A month ago certain elements of the political spectrum were adamant they were to close it all.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on January 22, 2021, 08:00:52 am by SydneyRover »
Here's someone who knew exactly what he was voting for when he voted Leave.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BylineTV/status/1352352805273657347

Flippancy aside, this is heartbreaking. Decent people, used then f**ked over.

I think there was a healthy amount of self interest in his decision to support brexit as he says 'I thought we would control the fishing grounds and Europe would be dependent on us' which probably made it a whole lot easier to believe the hype and not read the fine print. All credit to him though for standing up and confronting the fact that he allowed himself to be duped.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on January 22, 2021, 09:15:05 am by River Don »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on January 22, 2021, 10:43:08 am by SydneyRover »
RD you appear to be the first to post a genuine benefit from brexit, would Nissan have thought about a cut in production or taken it elsewhere if Brexit hadn't got up?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on January 22, 2021, 10:45:41 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
RD you appear to be the first to post a genuine benefit from brexit, would Nissan have thought about a cut in production or taken it elsewhere if Brexit hadn't got up?

They certainly wouldn't have relocated batteries without the brexit deal.  Exactly by the way what the economic future of the country should be, green developments.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on January 22, 2021, 10:52:11 am by River Don »
TBH I just posted it because its the first time I have seen a positive story like this.

From what I remember prior to Brexit Nissan were planning on expanding Sunderland anyway.

I guess from glancing at this, the new arrangement means it is beneficial for manufacturers to source their batteries from the UK. Perhaps the battery plant might not otherwise have happened then but I don't know.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on January 22, 2021, 11:14:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »
For the record BFYP, the people predicting serious problems for the Nissan plant in the event of No Deal were the Nissan management.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-54986195

But yes, this is excellent news. Not exactly sure it is a net positive over the situation there would have been without Brexit, but it is certainly an avoidance of a potential major negative.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on January 22, 2021, 11:55:44 am by EasyforDennis »
Still waiting for a positive benefit for anyone and we are 3 pages in.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on January 22, 2021, 12:00:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
TBH I just posted it because its the first time I have seen a positive story like this.

From what I remember prior to Brexit Nissan were planning on expanding Sunderland anyway.

I guess from glancing at this, the new arrangement means it is beneficial for manufacturers to source their batteries from the UK. Perhaps the battery plant might not otherwise have happened then but I don't know.

It's extremely fortunate for the Sunderland workers that sourcing a battery from the UK is enough to make the ex-works price of the final product comply with the 55% original materials rules to qualify as being of UK origin. This development is despite Brexit, not because of it.

Nissan will still have hold all the evidence confirming this before they can claim on any exports to the EU, though (because they'll only be exporting a small variety of final product) they should be in a position that they'll only need to make an invoice declaration and therefore avoid the really cumbersome red tape paperwork that smaller businesses, or those exporting a wide variety of products, will be facing to prove their goods qualify.

Plus, Nissan will still have the extra costs to get their exports through Customs on both sides of the border.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on January 22, 2021, 12:32:54 pm by belton rover »

Not really what the thread was created for though, despite the title, was it, Easy?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on January 22, 2021, 12:54:40 pm by Filo »

Not really what the thread was created for though, despite the title, was it, Easy?

What was it created for then?

I take NNK to have created the thread in good faith, are you insinuating he didn’t?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:58:24 pm by Filo »

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on January 22, 2021, 01:02:46 pm by belton rover »
Really, Filo? You’ve only got to read the creator’s posts within the thread to see they want the opposite of ‘Brexit Benefits’ to be posted, as do the  vast majority of other posts on the thread.

The title is clearly ironic (in my opinion, of course).

NNK. Were you being ironic? Or did you genuinely want this thread to contain nothing but examples of Brexit benefits, as the title suggests?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:06:11 pm by belton rover »

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on January 22, 2021, 01:07:18 pm by Filo »
Really, Filo? You’ve only got to read the creator’s posts within the thread to see they want the opposite of ‘Brexit Benefits’ to be posted, as do the  vast majority of other posts on the thread.

The title is clearly ironic (in my opinion, of course).

Well I’d like to hear what NNK has to say about your accusation, I’m not sure why you have to make assertions like you do, it seems you have lost the target of most of your arguments and so have just picked on another target now

TinyPortal © 2005-2012