Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:51:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22525 times)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #210 on September 07, 2021, 09:57:29 am by Axholme Lion »
It might be an expensive winter, there are fears Russia is limiting its natural gas supply into Europe to push prices higher...

In theory this should provide incentive for a greater shift towards renewables but will it in practice?

I see in here in the UK on still hot days we are still having to fire up the Ratcliffe on Soar coal fired powerstation. Apparently this happened again today. We're not weaned off coal yet then.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/12/national-grid-fires-up-coal-power-station-for-first-time-in-55-days

Yet all we do is antagonize Russia. Why can't we get on with them?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #211 on September 07, 2021, 02:08:45 pm by River Don »
Leger week and it's 80°+ this afternoon.

Weird.

I saw a supermarket manager pop his head out at Tesco. He said in genuine surprise to no-one in particular "bloody hell! It's like being abroad!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #212 on September 07, 2021, 05:31:31 pm by sha66y »

Weird.

I saw a supermarket manager pop his head out at Tesco. He said in genuine surprise to no-one in particular "bloody hell! It's like being abroad!

Firstly, was the supermarket manager you saw just any old supermarket manager or did he perhaps work for tesco?
And secondly, how did you hear him make that quote and assume it wasn’t meant for you?

And finally, was this supermarket in the UK or abroard?

These are the real questions that need answering on a sweltering afternoon during ledger week!

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #213 on September 07, 2021, 07:21:36 pm by River Don »

Weird.

Firstly, was the supermarket manager you saw just any old supermarket manager or did he perhaps work for tesco?
And secondly, how did you hear him make that quote and assume it wasn’t meant for you?

These are the real questions that need answering on a sweltering afternoon during ledger week!

For clarity, the bloke works in that particular Tesco store. He was within earshot but he wasn't close to me, others were nearer him. He wasn't directing his remarks towards anyone. The Tescos is in Yorkshire, Clifton Moor near York to be precise.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #214 on September 08, 2021, 02:25:46 pm by ravenrover »
That's a big un

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #215 on September 09, 2021, 12:55:54 am by SydneyRover »
''UK criticised for ‘dropping Paris climate goals in trade deal with Australia’
UK-Australia deal also criticised for allowing import of beef produced to lower standards''

these new trade deals must have taken a lot of working out?

Undercutting local farmers, oops farmers are to get subsidies, so imported beef from Oz is subsidised by the british tax payers, whoopee.

And no pressure on Oz to do anything about it's appalling record regarding climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/08/uk-dropped-paris-climate-goals-in-trade-deal-with-australia-say-green-activists

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #216 on September 09, 2021, 10:52:35 am by sha66y »

Weird.

For clarity, the bloke works in that particular Tesco store. He was within earshot but he wasn't close to me, others were nearer him. He wasn't directing his remarks towards anyone. The Tescos is in Yorkshire, Clifton Moor near York to be precise.

Hot Damn !

That made me look a right proper Charlie!….lol

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #217 on September 09, 2021, 10:56:00 am by sha66y »
Serious question alert!

Is it really a “ climate crisis”  from were you’re currently sat?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #218 on September 09, 2021, 12:11:48 pm by normal rules »
Serious question alert!

Just because we don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. It’s very subtle and difficult to relate to on a day by day or even year by year basis .
Over the past 100 years, global temperatures have risen about 1 degree C (1.8 degrees F), with sea level response to that warming totaling about 160 to 210 mm (with about half of that amount occurring since 1993), or about 6 to 8 inches.
In the uk, we only ever experience this change in the winter months when low pressure storms combine with high tides.
It’s going to be more frequent though.

Seems minor, but we take our dog to walk on the beach in between Skegness and Gibraltar point quite frequently, and have done so for the last 20 years. The change in the coast line there is dramatic. Tens of metres of coast have been washed away just in my time. It’s very evident to see when you have been going there year after year. This is not a stretch of coast that is naturally eroded.there are no coastal defences there like there is at chapel point or mabelthorpe. This is down to sea level rise and winter storms and high tides.
It is very gradual, but very apparent.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #219 on September 09, 2021, 01:13:35 pm by sha66y »
Serious question alert!

Just because we don’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. It’s very subtle and difficult to relate to on a day by day or even year by year basis .
Over the past 100 years, global temperatures have risen about 1 degree C (1.8 degrees F), with sea level response to that warming totaling about 160 to 210 mm (with about half of that amount occurring since 1993), or about 6 to 8 inches.
In the uk, we only ever experience this change in the winter months when low pressure storms combine with high tides.
It’s going to be more frequent though.

Seems minor, but we take our dog to walk on the beach in between Skegness and Gibraltar point quite frequently, and have done so for the last 20 years. The change in the coast line there is dramatic. Tens of metres of coast have been washed away just in my time. It’s very evident to see when you have been going there year after year. This is not a stretch of coast that is naturally eroded.there are no coastal defences there like there is at chapel point or mabelthorpe. This is down to sea level rise and winter storms and high tides.
It is very gradual, but very apparent.

I get that statistics support a crisis, but in good old Blighty we love our occasional week of hot weather, we even like our milder winters, but we don’t need to worry what happens abroard unless it impacts on our holiday plans….

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #220 on September 09, 2021, 02:04:10 pm by normal rules »
If predictions are correct, holiday fave destinations like Benidorm, Venice and Barcelona will be under water in the next 100 years.
Doncaster by the sea anyone ?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #221 on September 09, 2021, 08:19:34 pm by River Don »
Serious question alert!

That's the thing with climate change the effects are mostly slow and gradual but then there are sudden extreme events too.

In the UK the extreme events tend to be rainfall or high winds. You might live in Toll Bar and keep finding water knee deep in your living room. That's happening more often. You might have the garage roof torn off in a storm, or your car damaged by large hail stones.

Most of the time it's easy to ignore. These problems are becoming more frequent though and more extreme. There was a guy on TV in Erftstadt-Blessem, where a sink hole opened and washed half the village away. You don't expect it here, in India maybe but not here.

So where from I'm sat right now, it's not a crisis. It's barely touched me personally beyond my trains to London being cancelled one day because of a Landslip on the line. And my Nan being evacuated because the River Don was getting very close to her front door.

Even then it's impossible to say these events were caused by climate change. Just that they were more likely because of it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #222 on September 21, 2021, 06:44:43 pm by wilts rover »
What is coming is beyond most people's comprehension:

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1440237998117822467

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #223 on September 21, 2021, 07:10:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What is coming is beyond most people's comprehension:

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1440237998117822467

Our generation have been responsible for a crime against the future, in not taking this problem on seriously enough and quickly enough. Our great grandkids will rightly curse us as ignorant wasters, just like we curse the politicians who let Hitler off the leash 85 years ago.

The hired hands of the oil industry who have elbowed their way into debates for decades to argue that a) this wasn't happening, then b) that it was happening but it wasn't man made, then c) that even if it was man made, the action needed to stop it was too expensive ...they'll be called the biggest mass murderers in human history by future generations.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #224 on September 22, 2021, 06:37:01 am by sha66y »
I think you are referring to the cursing of the “authorities” ………….not us!, not me, not you!
Normal people do not make grand eco gestures, apart from a bit of domestic recycling…

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #225 on September 22, 2021, 09:39:58 am by SydneyRover »
I think you are referring to the cursing of the “authorities” ………….not us!, not me, not you!
Normal people do not make grand eco gestures, apart from a bit of domestic recycling…

Maybe they don't shaggy but ordinary people carry the future in their hands, if they just stand around like sheep and don't push politicians to make the right decisions instead of political decisions they will.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #226 on September 22, 2021, 11:06:18 am by selby »
  RD, if you go through Toll Bar and look carefully the water mark on the roadside older terrace houses is nearer the upstairs window, and my mate has a water mark in the loft of his old farm house in West Haddlesey marked up flood 17 something, its gone on for centuries. Askern was at the edges of the Humber inland sea, and the Dutch drained the lowlands in the Thorne area.
  The thing is past generations managed it,invested in it, put time and effort into it, set up things like drainage boards with local management who knew what had to be done. Its what future generations  will have to do and it remains to be seen if they will be up to it like our forefathers were.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #227 on September 24, 2021, 09:11:36 pm by selby »
  Syd, just heard some numbers of coal fired power stations in China, according to the report they have 1089 currently operating another 189 are in the construction stage and 450 in the planning stage.
  Most of the new and planned ones as big or bigger than Drax, and America has plans to expand their oil shale and fracking operations while we closed our fracking down two years ago, if the heating goes off in Jan/Feb that will go down as a great idea unless you can switch over to coal that is, some open fires might be opened back up.
  I guess there is some pissing into the wind in this country.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:29:37 pm by selby »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #228 on September 24, 2021, 10:21:54 pm by SydneyRover »
What is China's emissions target?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #229 on September 25, 2021, 08:18:45 am by selby »
Look  it up I'm not bothered.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #230 on September 25, 2021, 09:16:03 am by SydneyRover »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #231 on September 25, 2021, 07:49:09 pm by selby »
  they are kidding you on.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #232 on October 09, 2021, 02:41:24 pm by SydneyRover »
A giant leap for football, a giant leap for mankind.

''Forest Green Rovers flash up climate emergency warnings during match''

''Forest Green Rovers have brought the climate and ecological crisis into sharp focus by taking the unprecedented step of using their pitchside advertising hoardings to display real-time facts and figures about fossil fuels, plastic waste, and other critical issues during their League Two game at home to Swindon. The match, televised by Sky Sports, was broadcast across 120 countries''

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/09/forest-green-rovers-flash-up-climate-emergency-warnings-during-match

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #233 on October 09, 2021, 05:49:54 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
I like what Forest Green Rovers are doing in terms of the green way they run the club and actually offering fans actual nutritious wholesome, locally sourced food to eat at games rather than the generic grease in a breadcake / in pastry or a chocolate bar that is provided by all other clubs to fans whose palates haven't evolved over their many years of attending football matches.

The animal slaughter numbers is a great reminder too that needless cruelty still pervades the farming industry.

In terms of a football ownership model, they are a basket case. Dale Vince has pumped millions in and at any point if he pulls out, the club is simply unsustainable financially. I would imagine it would cost Vince a hell of a lot of money to leave the club free from any debt. I'm not saying he wouldn't do this of course but it must be an expensive club to run for such a small club with minimal revenues from supporters etc.

It certainly is an interesting story that continues to unfold down in deepest Gloucestershire.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 05:53:32 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #235 on October 14, 2021, 01:30:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  The South Pole has just endured the darkest and coldest winter for years, temps -69C and thehttps://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/10/01/south-pole-coldest-winter-record/ area of  sea ice is massive compared with the last few years.

Right. That's a relief. Clearly the increases in temperature everywhere else in the world over the last century are nothing to worry about. Just a lefty plot to piss off old folk.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #236 on October 15, 2021, 02:43:10 am by SydneyRover »
It's a bit rich, well very rich really down at the palace ....................

ere charlie, ave you sorted that cowardly ozzie PM out yet?

doin' it mummy ........... I ope you ain't forgot ta ave a go at the world leaders

yeah done it .................. easy-peasy

some months earlier .....................

''Queen secretly lobbied Scottish ministers for climate law exemption

Monarch used secretive procedure to become only person in country not bound by a green energy rule''

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/28/queen-secretly-lobbied-scottish-ministers-climate-law-exemption

and charlie ....... Charlie ....... CHARLIE ......... yeeeeeees mummy

get yerself round dere and give them  guardian tw@ts a good kickin'

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #237 on October 15, 2021, 11:35:19 am by Axholme Lion »
Now it looks like Carrie, i mean Boris, is wanting to ban all gas boilers by 2035! Should be surge in sales in 2034.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #238 on October 16, 2021, 12:12:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Man Utd squad has FLOWN from Manchester to Leicester for today's match.

What an example of the irresponsible disconnection from societal responsibility of the wealthiest.

Absolutely f**king disgusting.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #239 on October 16, 2021, 01:14:23 pm by drfchound »
Taken from the bbc sport website:

“Manchester United have defended their decision to fly the 100-mile journey to their Premier League game at Leicester.

United say they would not normally fly to the game but plans changed due to "circumstances". There were reports of traffic congestion on the M6.

Flying is a significant contributor to global warming and world leaders are meeting later this month in an attempt to avoid a climate catastrophe.

Manchester United defended its commitment to clean energy.”

That is their version of events I suppose.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012