Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:14:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22134 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #270 on October 22, 2021, 10:59:46 am by belton rover »
Kevin Costner dealt with it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #271 on October 22, 2021, 11:23:17 am by Axholme Lion »
And in those 79 words lies the problem for future generations…..

I’m by no means a climate activist, everyone is guilty of saying much but doing little, me included but as a species humans have evolved quicker, when we are put at adversity. In my opinion it will take a massive slap in the face to wake up this planet to what’s increasing round the corner. That massive slap will be in the order of millions dying/through lack of water. This is happening now, but soon in the next 5 years it will be the worlds biggest problem.

“By 2025, half of the world’s population will be living in water-stressed area. Currently
In the least developed countries, 22% of health care facilities have no water service, 21% no sanitation service, and 22% no waste management service, this is expected double by 2025”

So unless you want millions of people in rafts seeking something as basic as a glass of water arriving on our shores maybe the worlds powers,  governmental & Business need to do something about it.

All the more reason to become self sufficient and stop all immigration. We need to look after ourselves and keep people out. We can't be a home for every waif and stray on the scrounge from all over the planet. Over population is the number one problem, until there is a solution nothing will be solved. I don't see why we should suffer because people abroad refuse to stop breeding.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #272 on October 22, 2021, 12:41:07 pm by drfchound »
There won’t be much room for people here in the UK if sea levels are going to rise by 68 metres coz most of the UK will be underwater anyway.

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #273 on October 22, 2021, 01:50:35 pm by KeithMyath »
There won’t be much room for people here in the UK if sea levels are going to rise by 68 metres coz most of the UK will be underwater anyway.

We will all be long dead when that happens

Apart from Kevin Costner

KeithMyath

• Forum Member
« Reply #274 on October 22, 2021, 01:55:04 pm by KeithMyath »

I’m by no means a climate activist, everyone is guilty of saying much but doing little, me included but as a species humans have evolved quicker, when we are put at adversity. In my opinion it will take a massive slap in the face to wake up this planet to what’s increasing round the corner. That massive slap will be in the order of millions dying/through lack of water. This is happening now, but soon in the next 5 years it will be the worlds biggest problem.

“By 2025, half of the world’s population will be living in water-stressed area. Currently
In the least developed countries, 22% of health care facilities have no water service, 21% no sanitation service, and 22% no waste management service, this is expected double by 2025”

So unless you want millions of people in rafts seeking something as basic as a glass of water arriving on our shores maybe the worlds powers,  governmental & Business need to do something about it.

All the more reason to become self sufficient and stop all immigration. We need to look after ourselves and keep people out. We can't be a home for every waif and stray on the scrounge from all over the planet. Over population is the number one problem, until there is a solution nothing will be solved. I don't see why we should suffer because people abroad refuse to stop breeding.

Agree completely, and all those lefty, humanist, ethical tree hugging Crusties need to be booted out as well. What a Utopia…. All hail Boris! :suicide:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #275 on October 22, 2021, 05:15:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

This from a citizen of one of the most densely populated countries on earth...

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #276 on October 23, 2021, 01:22:43 pm by albie »
I see we have one or two ostrich's among our number.

Well, here is a tale of things to come;
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/climate-change-flood-map-shows-25275202

Not too clever, is it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #277 on October 26, 2021, 09:46:05 am by SydneyRover »
Oz has released a plan to reach net zero emissions by 2050, hooray, yeah, woo hoo

by technology, it's just that it hasn't been invented yet, awwwwww

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #278 on October 26, 2021, 02:59:50 pm by Axholme Lion »

This from a citizen of one of the most densely populated countries on earth...

Exactly. We're full up. No room at the Inn.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on October 28, 2021, 06:50:35 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Can't Attenborough piss off?

Another preaching to us all about saving the planet when he's spent the last 40 years plus flying all over the place and using recording equipment most probably made in China.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #280 on October 29, 2021, 10:33:04 am by Axholme Lion »
Can't Attenborough piss off?

Another preaching to us all about saving the planet when he's spent the last 40 years plus flying all over the place and using recording equipment most probably made in China.

Another 'I've had my life and done what i want but now you've got to live in a cardboard box.' merchant. Typical BBC hypocrite.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #281 on October 30, 2021, 08:59:25 am by SydneyRover »
A message from the Australien Government on Climate Change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyKmqEdgR4

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #282 on October 30, 2021, 10:56:36 pm by SydneyRover »
What you could do for renewable energy with extra billions.

''Shell and BP, which together produce more than 1.7bn tonnes of greenhouse gases a year, have not paid any corporation tax on oil and gas production in the North Sea for the last three years, company filings reveal.

The oil giants, which have an annual global footprint of greenhouse gases more than five times bigger than Britain’s, are benefiting from billions of pounds of tax breaks and reliefs for oil and gas production''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/30/shell-and-bp-paid-zero-tax-on-north-sea-gas-and-oil-for-three-years

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #283 on October 31, 2021, 12:02:11 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Everything is made in China because people want things and want cheap things.

Lots of foods are transported around the world for us to eat because we want them and don't want empty shelves or to rely on British seasonal veg.

We all want the latest gadgets.

People want cheap clothing.

The list is endless but the upshot is that we are all the problem because we are selfish t**ts and thus the world may end up dying because we not only won't change our behaviours, but because most people don't see that they are actually the problem. Others are always the problem - not them. This is particularly true of those cretins at the COP26 and the likes of Greta Thunberg etc. All preaching to others but failing to acknowledge they are part of the problem.

COP26 is a colossal waste of everyones time. Why would you even think it acceptable to take a flight to a climate conference and then start lecturing others about how to stop climate change. It is this breathtaking lack of self awareness that hits the hardest. It is almost as if they are actually to dumb to realize how their behaviour looks to others in terms of setting an example.

Anyway, it is simply too late because people simply won't change their consumerist behaviour. The human need for more will kill us all.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:43:31 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #284 on October 31, 2021, 01:23:32 pm by ravenrover »
When I were a lad if it wasn't grown here it wasn't available, Avacados, Peppers, Tomato etc in Winter not a chance. I didn't know Avacados and peppers existed until 1970's  You got what was grown seasonally over here, foodstuffs weren't shipped halfway around the world as they are now

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #285 on October 31, 2021, 03:07:17 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Talking about a lack of self awareness.

Norwich City today at their game against Leeds promoting climate change measures by recommending fans do lots of things at the game or before the game to help with climate change etc. Giving fans initiatives about how to help in their own little way on a matchday.

Then Norwich will probably fly their entire squad to away games at Liverpool / Newcastle etc.

Just another example of being preached to by f**king numbskull hypocrites who haven't even got the intelligence to work out that such recommendations make them look stupid.

On a similar point. I'm sure i read somewhere that recently Man U squad flew to Leicester for a game? Madness.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:14:30 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #286 on October 31, 2021, 03:41:22 pm by wilts rover »
Talks about climate crises affected by - errr, climate crises:

https://twitter.com/Torcuil/status/1454779406006853636

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #287 on October 31, 2021, 04:08:33 pm by normal rules »
Did anyone see the vehicle convoy that follows Biden around. There must be two dozen of them. All flown specially from the US.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on October 31, 2021, 05:41:25 pm by normal rules »
Incredible story on countryfile currently. The town of Fairbourne in West Wales is predicted to be the first abandoned  in the uk due to rising sea levels.
Climate refugees.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on October 31, 2021, 05:59:12 pm by normal rules »
I foresee that right move soon will have to advertise height above sea level soon on property listings. If I was 20 or 30 now, I’d have to think long and hard about buying a house anywhere near the coast that is at or near sea level.
It’s beggars belief how many houses are being thrown up near us in Lincolnshire not 3 miles from the coast. All at sea level.
We complain about economic refugees flooding into the uk, but before the end of this century we will have our own refugees. Starting with circa 0.75 million people who need re homing from Lincolnshire.
And where will all the veg come from once Lincs is underwater.?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #290 on October 31, 2021, 06:21:00 pm by drfchound »
Incredible story on countryfile currently. The town of Fairbourne in West Wales is predicted to be the first abandoned  in the uk due to rising sea levels.
Climate refugees.

I just read an article about this NR.
The locals certainly don’t appear to be accepting what the local council are saying about it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #291 on October 31, 2021, 07:29:04 pm by drfchound »
It seems that even Australia has issues complying with climate change policies:

The UN found that: "There has been no improvement in Australia's climate policy since 2017 and emission levels for 2030 are projected to be well above the target."The Climate Change Performance Index ranked Australia last out of 57 countries responsible for more than 90% of greenhouse gas emissions on climate policy.
It highlighted the country's no-show at a UN climate summit in September and its withdrawal from an international fund to tackle climate change.
 Australian emissions will be only 16% lower than 2005 levels in 2030.

More important than specific targets - Australia as a fossil fuel producer has so far failed to acknowledge the need to plan for a world of net zero emissions, says Myles Allen, a climate change expert at the University of Oxford.

You never hear about problems down there.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #292 on October 31, 2021, 07:50:27 pm by normal rules »
Fairbourne has been identified as unsustainable to defend, given predicted sea level rise. The best estimate at present is that the area will be abandoned between 2052 and 2062, though the range of uncertainty is between 2042 and 2072. This is based on a rise in critical sea level of 0.5 metres.
“Managed retreat” is a phrase that will plague communities all over the world in the coming decades.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #293 on October 31, 2021, 08:27:57 pm by SydneyRover »
It seems that even Australia has issues complying with climate change policies:

The UN found that: "There has been no improvement in Australia's climate policy since 2017 and emission levels for 2030 are projected to be well above the target."The Climate Change Performance Index ranked Australia last out of 57 countries responsible for more than 90% of greenhouse gas emissions on climate policy.
It highlighted the country's no-show at a UN climate summit in September and its withdrawal from an international fund to tackle climate change.
 Australian emissions will be only 16% lower than 2005 levels in 2030.

More important than specific targets - Australia as a fossil fuel producer has so far failed to acknowledge the need to plan for a world of net zero emissions, says Myles Allen, a climate change expert at the University of Oxford.

You never hear about problems down there.

That's maybe cos you spend most of your time on off topic looking for ways to score points rather than being part of the various discussions hound, read back through the thread and grow a bit.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #294 on October 31, 2021, 09:18:47 pm by SydneyRover »
''Revealed: a third of England’s vital flood defences are in private hands
Some defences are at risk of failure but private owners cannot be forced to make upgrades''

A third of England’s most important flood defences are in private hands, an investigation has found, with more than 1,000 found to be in a poor state and some at risk of “complete performance failure”.

''Data obtained under freedom of information laws by Unearthed, the investigative arm of Greenpeace UK''

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/31/revealed-a-third-of-england-vital-flood-defences-are-in-private-hands

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #295 on November 01, 2021, 07:20:30 am by normal rules »
I think the leaders of the world should make flying expensive. Very expensive.
We fly far too much.
I looked at flight tracker last night and the skies are literally ful of planes. All over the world.
The global aviation industry produces around 2% of all human-induced carbon dioxide.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #296 on November 01, 2021, 08:30:57 am by SydneyRover »
We fly far too much.
I looked at flight tracker last night and the skies are literally ful of planes. All over the world.
The global aviation industry produces around 2% of all human-induced carbon dioxide.

This is a curly one NR, in some countries air travel is the only viable way to avoid days of travel and it also it also becomes a rich persons domain if the price goes up. Following 9/11 the skies became a lot clearer, as the did in parts of India shut down due to covid. Maybe joy flights to space and back should be knocked on the head and force them to develop cleaner methods. I fly with my partner but only usually to a destination + return but very rarely fly short haul. So yes I am guilty of flying. Fast train competition should be developed to reduce a lot of the short haul route such as Syd to Melb which is one of the busiest routes. There could be encouragement to take less baggage and tax more for over a certain amount, our joint baggage weight is rarely more than 20kg, but this should not be to make more room for air freight. Air freight could be cut drastically and be made prohibitively expensive for almost everything except medical or supplies for people in trouble or urgent supplies. On a personal level we are having an energy survey done for our home to try and get the maximum renewable energy advantages for such things as solar, heat pump water heating and induction cooking. We tossed out the gas heater a while ago and use only reverse cycle Air Con. All lighting is led or compact fluoro' and I have been working through the house insulating and sealing windows, I have quite a bit to do as it's an old property. A large percentage of our furniture is second hand and repaired and I have made pieces myself from salvaged timber. We have a tumble composter and grow herbs and small veg and recycle everything possible with little going to landfill. I have spent this week trying to rehome quite a bit of good quality but second hand furniture. We also support green candidates for both state and national positions. Not just voting but actively campaigning. We can do this as the greens would never support the coalition and we don't have fptp voting. You have seen what our current coalition PM is like this week at Glasgow. 

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #297 on November 01, 2021, 09:18:57 am by normal rules »
This is all good sr. You sound like my kind of person, but our personal sacrifices regarding international travel need to go much much deeper than this.
I see in the news this morning that Ryanair are looking to slash prices on their flights so they can fill them over winter.
Whilst some might say they are getting the most out of their carbon footprint, it’s clearly a case of money over climate.
I’d be interested to know how many on this forum would be willing to forgo international holidays for the sake of their carbon footprint?
Not many I suspect.
We proved over lockdown that we can still do business , even international business without the need to be face to face.
 The visual benefits were all there to see during lockdown. Fish were seen again in waters around Venice. Smog cleared from Chinese and Indian cities.
We have been very quick to go back to how it used to be sadly.
Covid has shown us a glimpse of what we can be.
We are so small minded though, so self consumed with our own little worlds, we simply cannot see what’s coming .
I heard on the news last night that china will be at peak coal production/ burn in another 4 years. Meantime they predict the Maldives could be under water, the whole archipelago, within this decade.
It’s all too little too late I’m afraid.
Since the industrial revolution we have been f**king this planet. We continue to do so, in the name of growth and progress.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #298 on November 01, 2021, 10:03:49 am by Sprotyrover »
We fly far too much.

This is a curly one NR, in some countries air travel is the only viable way to avoid days of travel and it also it also becomes a rich persons domain if the price goes up. Following 9/11 the skies became a lot clearer, as the did in parts of India shut down due to covid. Maybe joy flights to space and back should be knocked on the head and force them to develop cleaner methods. I fly with my partner but only usually to a destination + return but very rarely fly short haul. So yes I am guilty of flying. Fast train competition should be developed to reduce a lot of the short haul route such as Syd to Melb which is one of the busiest routes. There could be encouragement to take less baggage and tax more for over a certain amount, our joint baggage weight is rarely more than 20kg, but this should not be to make more room for air freight. Air freight could be cut drastically and be made prohibitively expensive for almost everything except medical or supplies for people in trouble or urgent supplies. On a personal level we are having an energy survey done for our home to try and get the maximum renewable energy advantages for such things as solar, heat pump water heating and induction cooking. We tossed out the gas heater a while ago and use only reverse cycle Air Con. All lighting is led or compact fluoro' and I have been working through the house insulating and sealing windows, I have quite a bit to do as it's an old property. A large percentage of our furniture is second hand and repaired and I have made pieces myself from salvaged timber. We have a tumble composter and grow herbs and small veg and recycle everything possible with little going to landfill. I have spent this week trying to rehome quite a bit of good quality but second hand furniture. We also support green candidates for both state and national positions. Not just voting but actively campaigning. We can do this as the greens would never support the coalition and we don't have fptp voting. You have seen what our current coalition PM is like this week at Glasgow. 

Nice one Sydders your 'Drum' sounds like a cross between the Greenham Common peace Camp and Steptoes back yard!
You could really make a massive contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by keeping yer gob shut!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #299 on November 01, 2021, 10:15:28 am by SydneyRover »
We fly far too much.

Nice one Sydders your 'Drum' sounds like a cross between the Greenham Common peace Camp and Steptoes back yard!
You could really make a massive contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by keeping yer gob shut!

I love it when you go all potty mouth sprot cos I know it gets to you, now go f**k yourself, nicely though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012