Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:02:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Climate Crisis  (Read 22499 times)

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
Re: The Climate Crisis
« Reply #300 on November 01, 2021, 10:20:45 am by Sprotyrover »
I think the leaders of the world should make flying expensive. Very expensive.
We fly far too much.
I looked at flight tracker last night and the skies are literally ful of planes. All over the world.
The global aviation industry produces around 2% of all human-induced carbon dioxide.

This is a curly one NR, in some countries air travel is the only viable way to avoid days of travel and it also it also becomes a rich persons domain if the price goes up. Following 9/11 the skies became a lot clearer, as the did in parts of India shut down due to covid. Maybe joy flights to space and back should be knocked on the head and force them to develop cleaner methods. I fly with my partner but only usually to a destination + return but very rarely fly short haul. So yes I am guilty of flying. Fast train competition should be developed to reduce a lot of the short haul route such as Syd to Melb which is one of the busiest routes. There could be encouragement to take less baggage and tax more for over a certain amount, our joint baggage weight is rarely more than 20kg, but this should not be to make more room for air freight. Air freight could be cut drastically and be made prohibitively expensive for almost everything except medical or supplies for people in trouble or urgent supplies. On a personal level we are having an energy survey done for our home to try and get the maximum renewable energy advantages for such things as solar, heat pump water heating and induction cooking. We tossed out the gas heater a while ago and use only reverse cycle Air Con. All lighting is led or compact fluoro' and I have been working through the house insulating and sealing windows, I have quite a bit to do as it's an old property. A large percentage of our furniture is second hand and repaired and I have made pieces myself from salvaged timber. We have a tumble composter and grow herbs and small veg and recycle everything possible with little going to landfill. I have spent this week trying to rehome quite a bit of good quality but second hand furniture. We also support green candidates for both state and national positions. Not just voting but actively campaigning. We can do this as the greens would never support the coalition and we don't have fptp voting. You have seen what our current coalition PM is like this week at Glasgow. 

Nice one Sydders your 'Drum' sounds like a cross between the Greenham Common peace Camp and Steptoes back yard!
You could really make a massive contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by keeping yer gob shut!

I love it when you go all potty mouth sprot cos I know it gets to you, now go f**k yourself, nicely though.
Oh dear Sydders that's twice you have told me to go forth,I suggest you leave the 'Tinnies' alone and then take your own advice.. go forth!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #301 on November 01, 2021, 10:21:58 am by drfchound »
I think the leaders of the world should make flying expensive. Very expensive.
We fly far too much.
I looked at flight tracker last night and the skies are literally ful of planes. All over the world.
The global aviation industry produces around 2% of all human-induced carbon dioxide.

This is a curly one NR, in some countries air travel is the only viable way to avoid days of travel and it also it also becomes a rich persons domain if the price goes up. Following 9/11 the skies became a lot clearer, as the did in parts of India shut down due to covid. Maybe joy flights to space and back should be knocked on the head and force them to develop cleaner methods. I fly with my partner but only usually to a destination + return but very rarely fly short haul. So yes I am guilty of flying. Fast train competition should be developed to reduce a lot of the short haul route such as Syd to Melb which is one of the busiest routes. There could be encouragement to take less baggage and tax more for over a certain amount, our joint baggage weight is rarely more than 20kg, but this should not be to make more room for air freight. Air freight could be cut drastically and be made prohibitively expensive for almost everything except medical or supplies for people in trouble or urgent supplies. On a personal level we are having an energy survey done for our home to try and get the maximum renewable energy advantages for such things as solar, heat pump water heating and induction cooking. We tossed out the gas heater a while ago and use only reverse cycle Air Con. All lighting is led or compact fluoro' and I have been working through the house insulating and sealing windows, I have quite a bit to do as it's an old property. A large percentage of our furniture is second hand and repaired and I have made pieces myself from salvaged timber. We have a tumble composter and grow herbs and small veg and recycle everything possible with little going to landfill. I have spent this week trying to rehome quite a bit of good quality but second hand furniture. We also support green candidates for both state and national positions. Not just voting but actively campaigning. We can do this as the greens would never support the coalition and we don't have fptp voting. You have seen what our current coalition PM is like this week at Glasgow. 

Nice one Sydders your 'Drum' sounds like a cross between the Greenham Common peace Camp and Steptoes back yard!
You could really make a massive contribution to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by keeping yer gob shut!

Yes Sproty, it appears that it is ok to ban flying just as long as some people can fly themselves, whether that be to one destination or to many.
A bit of the I’m allright Jack.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #302 on November 01, 2021, 10:23:09 am by SydneyRover »
Again hound you jump in, how many times have you done that and got it wrong.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #303 on November 01, 2021, 10:25:02 am by drfchound »
This is all good sr. You sound like my kind of person, but our personal sacrifices regarding international travel need to go much much deeper than this.
I see in the news this morning that Ryanair are looking to slash prices on their flights so they can fill them over winter.
Whilst some might say they are getting the most out of their carbon footprint, it’s clearly a case of money over climate.
I’d be interested to know how many on this forum would be willing to forgo international holidays for the sake of their carbon footprint?
Not many I suspect.

To answer your question NR, I for one wouldn’t give a hoot if I never flew in an aeroplane again.
So yes, I would be happy to forgo international holidays if it helps.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #304 on November 01, 2021, 10:47:57 am by Axholme Lion »
International travel should have been banned for five years when covid arrived. Totally unnecessary in most cases.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on November 01, 2021, 10:49:41 am by Sprotyrover »
This is all good sr. You sound like my kind of person, but our personal sacrifices regarding international travel need to go much much deeper than this.
I see in the news this morning that Ryanair are looking to slash prices on their flights so they can fill them over winter.
Whilst some might say they are getting the most out of their carbon footprint, it’s clearly a case of money over climate.
I’d be interested to know how many on this forum would be willing to forgo international holidays for the sake of their carbon footprint?
Not many I suspect.
I doubt I will ever fly again my Carbon footprint will be negligible unlike 'SYDD OF THE DUMP' who seems to love whizzing around Australia clearly looking for a means to escape as he hates the place!

To answer your question NR, I for one wouldn’t give a hoot if I never flew in an aeroplane again.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #306 on November 01, 2021, 11:08:31 am by SydneyRover »
Not many I suspect.
I doubt I will ever fly again my Carbon footprint will be negligible unlike 'SYDD OF THE DUMP' who seems to love whizzing around Australia clearly looking for a means to escape as he hates the place!

Haha, excellent way to reply sprot

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #307 on November 01, 2021, 11:13:16 am by Sprotyrover »
Glad you liked it

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #308 on November 01, 2021, 04:40:48 pm by drfchound »
Further topical news, considering this it the climate crisis thread and that COP26 is underway:

From The Guardian, just for balance:

Australia has trashed the Paris agreement and exposed itself as the worst kind of climate hypocrite.

The Morrison government has shown that it quite simply does not do what it says on the world stage

With the events of last week, the Morrison government has shown that it quite simply does not do what it says on the world stage. Our climate indifference isn’t just reckless for our economy, our environment and our people. It is also reckless for our diplomacy as Morrison’s visit to Glasgow will surely now demonstrate.

There are four critical promises Australia made in Paris which it has now broken. These weren’t just handshake agreements, they are international law.

First and foremost, Australia agreed that every country should come back to the table at COP26 to ensure the short-term targets set for this decade represented the “highest possible ambition”. That is what Glasgow is all about and more than 100 countries have now made new commitments for 2030 in the lead-up, including the United States which we originally established as a benchmark for our own ambition.

Instead, the Morrison government quietly informed the UN on New Year’s Eve last year (when most public servants weren’t even working and most Australians were too busy firing up their barbecues to pay attention) that they didn’t intend to honour that promise. The government’s latest decision to not even align our existing target with our new projections is a completely gutless decision. It wouldn’t have even required them to do an ounce more, but would have at least demonstrated they understood their international obligations.

Australia has also callously ignored its promise to deliver on the Paris agreement’s long-term goal to reach net zero emissions globally by 2050.

Even by Yes Minister standards, calling the government’s net zero pamphlet a “plan” is courageous.

Written by Thom Woodroofe.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #309 on November 01, 2021, 05:29:10 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
 i had been meaning to sugest you google "Thatcher climate change "

and her nostradamus mode

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-green-hero

"Margaret Thatcher will be remembered for her short lived "green period" in the late 1980s when she helped put climate change (or global warming as it was then known), acid rain and pollution on to the mainstream political map. Tutored by Sir Crispin Tickell, British ambassador to the UN in New York, she made several dramatic environment speeches.

The first, to the Royal Society on 27 September 1988, galvanised the emerging green debate in Britain and helped swell the membership of groups like Friends of the Earth and Greenpeace. The ecological and scientific arguments she used were not new, but their impact was profound:"

https://www.economist.com/open-future/2019/11/22/climate-freedom-and-denial-what-green-thatcherism-teaches-us-today

there is an excellent programme doing the rounds on radio4 about her

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #310 on November 01, 2021, 05:39:02 pm by normal rules »
Nice one India. Carbon neutrality by 2070.
Ffs.
Narendra Modi just does not get it I suppose.
Perhaps he will when the Maldives, part of the Indian subcontinent is under water in under 10 years. There are huge parts of India at or below sea level too.
He will have a re think when the water is lapping at his front door. When it’s too late .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:41:27 pm by normal rules »

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #311 on November 01, 2021, 06:12:31 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Perhaps we should force India to use the aid we give them solely on climate change initiatives?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on November 01, 2021, 07:25:30 pm by normal rules »
It’s very frustrating. We think we have population problems. India has a pop of 1.2 billion. That’s 15 and a half times the pop of uk. The country is run on two stroke motors. Tens of millions of them.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #313 on November 01, 2021, 08:31:12 pm by SydneyRover »
Further topical news, considering this it the climate crisis thread and that COP26 is underway:

From The Guardian, just for balance:

Australia has trashed the Paris agreement and exposed itself as the worst kind of climate hypocrite.

The Morrison government has shown that it quite simply does not do what it says on the world stage

With the events of last week, the Morrison government has shown that it quite simply does not do what it says on the world stage. Our climate indifference isn’t just reckless for our economy, our environment and our people. It is also reckless for our diplomacy as Morrison’s visit to Glasgow will surely now demonstrate.

There are four critical promises Australia made in Paris which it has now broken. These weren’t just handshake agreements, they are international law.

First and foremost, Australia agreed that every country should come back to the table at COP26 to ensure the short-term targets set for this decade represented the “highest possible ambition”. That is what Glasgow is all about and more than 100 countries have now made new commitments for 2030 in the lead-up, including the United States which we originally established as a benchmark for our own ambition.

Instead, the Morrison government quietly informed the UN on New Year’s Eve last year (when most public servants weren’t even working and most Australians were too busy firing up their barbecues to pay attention) that they didn’t intend to honour that promise. The government’s latest decision to not even align our existing target with our new projections is a completely gutless decision. It wouldn’t have even required them to do an ounce more, but would have at least demonstrated they understood their international obligations.

Australia has also callously ignored its promise to deliver on the Paris agreement’s long-term goal to reach net zero emissions globally by 2050.

Even by Yes Minister standards, calling the government’s net zero pamphlet a “plan” is courageous.

Written by Thom Woodroofe.

Yep, morrison is a liar, not as bad as johnson but a liar all the same.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #314 on November 01, 2021, 08:34:38 pm by SydneyRover »
England is more densely populated than India.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #315 on November 01, 2021, 08:35:26 pm by scawsby steve »
I haven't driven a car for 23 years, and my last plane flight was 14 years ago.

Brownie points please.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #316 on November 01, 2021, 08:47:39 pm by SydneyRover »

Brownie points please.

2 brownie points awarded to SS

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #317 on November 01, 2021, 08:52:26 pm by SydneyRover »
Good news for jobs in northern England and when I get a greener car next time I trade-in for the newer model.

''Rolls-Royce and Qatar to invest billions in UK green engineering
Engine maker and Gulf state to fund startups looking for new ways to hit net zero''

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/01/rolls-royce-qatar-invest-billions-uk-green-engineering-startups-net-zero

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #318 on November 01, 2021, 09:31:06 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Brownie points please.

I haven't been abroad for about 15 years also but i do drive a car. I am vegetarian though if that helps?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #319 on November 01, 2021, 11:08:48 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I have a caravan so when I'm on holiday I park my holiday home on eco friendly gravel, not like going in a hotel where the foundations have been dug up and filled with water resistant concrete.

Do I qualify for owt?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #320 on November 01, 2021, 11:37:55 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
Raised a smile that BB.  :lol:

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #321 on November 02, 2021, 08:17:41 am by Filo »
I have a caravan so when I'm on holiday I park my holiday home on eco friendly gravel, not like going in a hotel where the foundations have been dug up and filled with water resistant concrete.

Do I qualify for owt?

Do they not grow the concrete in the foundation trenches?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #322 on November 04, 2021, 09:01:10 am by normal rules »
Cop26 news. some of the world's biggest coal-dependent countries, including Australia, India, China and the US, did not sign up to the pledge to end reliance of coal .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #323 on November 04, 2021, 09:02:21 am by drfchound »
That’s not really surprising though.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #324 on November 04, 2021, 09:08:27 am by normal rules »
Surprising no. Disappointing yes.
China will increase their coal prod for at least the next three years.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #325 on November 04, 2021, 09:20:10 am by SydneyRover »
Cop26 news. some of the world's biggest coal-dependent countries, including Australia, India, China and the US, did not sign up to the pledge to end reliance of coal .

Fortunately in Australia, banks, insurers and others will not get involved in new mines. Unfortunately some of the existing mines are massive.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #326 on November 04, 2021, 09:45:55 am by River Don »
I see emissions are getting back to and beyond the pre-pandemic level. So much for building back better.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/04/reality-check-global-co2-emissions-shooting-back-to-record-levels

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #327 on November 04, 2021, 10:07:29 am by River Don »

Brownie points please.

I haven't been abroad for about 15 years also but i do drive a car. I am vegetarian though if that helps?

I haven't taken a flight for maybe 10 years now. Mainly it has to be said because it's an experience I'd rather not have to endure.

The last time I went abroad was to Italy, and we visited Venice for a day. I did not enjoy the experience, the place was so overcrowded and so expensive. Looking at one of those monster cruise ships towering above the ancient buildings, it brought it home how damaging tourism can be. And that I was part of the problem.

I probably will go to Italy again, I love the place. But I won't visit Venice or Florence or Rome. And I'll probably go by train, that is a form of travel I enjoy, and travelling on trains abroad gives you an experience of a country in itself.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #328 on November 04, 2021, 10:09:49 am by normal rules »
By the end of this century, the only way you will be able to visit Venice, and see it , will be from a submarine.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #329 on November 04, 2021, 10:20:20 am by River Don »
By the end of this century, the only way you will be able to visit Venice, and see it , will be from a submarine.

If that Guardian article is right and we are on course to hit 1.5 degrees C in just eleven years... Then at that rate by the end of the century, there won't be anyone around to visit anything.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012