Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:29:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit deal  (Read 377195 times)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit deal
« Reply #1650 on February 27, 2019, 07:10:53 am by turnbull for england »
When you simply have to read again to realise its not satire https://twitter.com/RemainiacsCast/status/1100341476335202304?s=19

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1651 on February 27, 2019, 08:48:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Bpool.

No. Of course it won't. Because their tribal politics going on. No Tory is going to let Corbyn be seen as the man who cut through the problem.

As I say. There's no majority in Parliament for anything. Only majorities against things. Which is why there's no option but Ref2.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1652 on February 27, 2019, 09:40:29 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Bpool.

No. Of course it won't. Because their tribal politics going on. No Tory is going to let Corbyn be seen as the man who cut through the problem.

As I say. There's no majority in Parliament for anything. Only majorities against things. Which is why there's no option but Ref2.

And even that solves nothing does it?  Would it yield a clear result, what goes on the ballot etc?  Nightmare scenario.

There's probably just slightly more chance of May winning her deal through, but the EU hold the cards on that.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1653 on February 27, 2019, 10:06:38 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Glyn  do you think labours alternative will get through?

Even though it does away with the Irish backstop that's stopped May's Deal being ratified and therefore has oodles more chance of being approved by Parliament, it won't get through because

(a) This government won't allow it to be discussed with the EU

(b) This government won't allow it to be put in front of Parliament, and

(c) despite what wing commander thinks about what anyone not in the government can contribute to the process, because of (a) and (b), there's bugger all anyone can do about it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1655 on February 27, 2019, 04:13:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Precisely Glyn.

And Parliament is the Sovereign body in the UK, because if the Govt brings really bad legislation, they can reject it. But they can only suggest alternative legislation to the Govt. If the Govt won't take it, you're stuck.

That's where we are right now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1656 on February 27, 2019, 04:22:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/781768/Implications_for_Business_and_Trade_of_a_No_Deal_Exit_on_29_March_2019.pdf

Paragraph 21.

In layman's terms "We can't be certain exactly what the effect of No Deal would be, but the best predictions suggest it would only be something that a criminally insane mind would even contemplate. Best estimates are that we'd lose over £1trn of economic output over the next 15 years, even if we smoothly moved onto WTO rules. And we're not remotely close to smoothly moving, so there would be significant immediate economic losses on top."

If you're sensibly wanting to discuss this, you might want to stop and consider the motivation of anyone who is seriously suggesting that No Deal is a good way forward from here.

As a British citizen who cares about the future well being of my kids and my country, I'm beyond livid that this is even being discussed. 

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1657 on February 27, 2019, 06:20:06 pm by wilts rover »
Re Ref2

YouGov Poll - Were Labour right to support a new referendum?

All voters
Right - 37%
Wrong 42%

Labour voters
Right - 53%
Wrong - 23%

https://twitter.com/britainelects

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #1659 on February 28, 2019, 01:49:14 pm by selby »
  Makes you wonder why the Norwegian investment group are investing billions in the UK Billy doesn't it. especially when they have a 30 year  investment strategy.
  After all they are only the largest investment fund in the world, they must employ idiots.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1660 on February 28, 2019, 01:53:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby.
Yes . We're a highly developed country. Our economy will still grow long term even after Brexit. Just not as well as it would do otherwise.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1661 on February 28, 2019, 03:02:04 pm by The Red Baron »
Those who are hoping for a short extension of the Article 50 process - the one thing that will probably be voted for in two weeks time - might be disappointed. That odious individual Macron has hinted he might veto Britain's request.

Remember it isn't enough for the EU Commission to agree to an extension request, all the other 27 members have to agree.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1662 on February 28, 2019, 06:01:18 pm by Muttley »
  Makes you wonder why the Norwegian investment group are investing billions in the UK Billy doesn't it. especially when they have a 30 year  investment strategy.
  After all they are only the largest investment fund in the world, they must employ idiots.

Probably because they are investing while it is cheap to do so in the hope that in 30 years time we've got our shit together.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1663 on February 28, 2019, 07:10:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Those who are hoping for a short extension of the Article 50 process - the one thing that will probably be voted for in two weeks time - might be disappointed. That odious individual Macron has hinted he might veto Britain's request.

Remember it isn't enough for the EU Commission to agree to an extension request, all the other 27 members have to agree.

Funnily enough, other countries have self-interests too. Who'd have thought it?

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #1664 on February 28, 2019, 10:56:59 pm by The Red Baron »
Of course. But you have to remember that Macron is currently brutalizing his own people. I'm no lover of Juncker, Tusk and Merkel but at least they are trying to find the best solution.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1665 on March 01, 2019, 07:04:19 am by DonnyOsmond »
Of course. But you have to remember that Macron is currently brutalizing his own people. I'm no lover of Juncker, Tusk and Merkel but at least they are trying to find the best solution.

His point is understandable though. We've got no where in 2 years, so why extend? It's doubtful there will be an agreement and were just delaying the inevitable.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1666 on March 01, 2019, 08:38:58 am by Filo »
The French never wanted us way back when the European concept began

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1667 on March 01, 2019, 09:05:52 am by ravenrover »
And after everything we've done for them ! 😉

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1668 on March 01, 2019, 09:30:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Filo

Wrong,wrong, wrong
We were offered a place in the European Coal and Steel Community (the forerunner to the EEC). We first of all ignored it, then when pressed, turned it down in the most shambolicly of circumstances. A civil servant rushed round London trying to find a minister in the Labour Govt to make a late night decision on whether we were going in. He found Herbert Morrison having dinner. Morrison asked him to describe what the ECSC was about. When the civil servant told him it was about jointly managing the industries across countries to stop competition getting out of hand in a damaging way, Morrison replied "No, no, no. The Durham miners won't wear it."

We could have then joined the negotiations to firm the original EEC, but WE chose not to do.

Once the EEC was set up, we DID try to join but were turned down by Charles dear Gaulle, true. But there was nothing to blame but our air of superiority for not being in the group and influencing, even leading it, right from the start.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1669 on March 02, 2019, 11:52:12 am by Not Now Kato »
At last, definitive proof that Racism and Immigration had absolutely nothing to do with Brexit at all....

Next thing you know people will be saying we're going to relax our food hygiene standards and allow chlorinated chicken and steroid filled beef!

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #1670 on March 03, 2019, 04:09:16 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
If the press this morning is anything to go on, May could well get her deal...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1671 on March 03, 2019, 06:21:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1672 on March 03, 2019, 09:00:07 pm by idler »
I didn't think that anybody that listened to him all through the campaign didn't remember him saying that the fight would go on.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1673 on March 03, 2019, 10:35:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Previous message deleted. I didn't read yours properly Idler.

I heard him regularly say that he wouldn't accept a narrow Remain win. I'd just not picked up on the delicious irony of him saying that 52-48 wouldn't be successful.

Funny, int it, that NOW, 52-48 is the utterly decisive Will of the People, questioned only by the Enemies of the People who would threaten the very foundations of democracy if they so much as thought about Ref 2.

What an utterly disgusting, lying, hypocritical Kitson that man is.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #1674 on March 03, 2019, 11:11:12 pm by idler »
Exactly BST.
There doesn't seem to be any honesty whatever. No shame anywhere either.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1675 on March 03, 2019, 11:55:05 pm by SydneyRover »
''£1.6bn 'bribe' for poorer towns as May seeks Labour's backing for Brexit deal''

Forget all the money we've screwed out of you via Austerity and lost via maladministration, 180 billion through the brexit debacle, here have some fairy dust and we'll all live happily ever after. As long as I can buy your vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/03/16bn-for-left-behind-towns-as-may-woos-labour-mps-to-back-br

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1676 on March 04, 2019, 12:22:37 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I was just about to post the same thing Sydney.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47435565

This is a f**king joke, right?

"More than half" of £1.6bn will go to towns in the North and Midlands.

Well whoopy f**king doo.

South Yorkshire ALONE was about to get £3bn of funding from the EU if we'd stayed in, because our economy has collapsed under these bas**rds.

And the bribe being offered to the North and Midlands is less than half the amount stuffed down the throats of the DUP to keep them onside with the Tories.

I don't know which is the most embarrassing here. The fact that these Kitsons have no shame in trying to bribe a handful of Labour Leave MPs to vote for May's deal?

Or the fact that they are trying to do it with an amount that would barely cover replacing all the litter bins in the North and Midlands?

Anyone who falls for this deserves everything they've got coming to them when Brexit hits.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1677 on March 04, 2019, 12:28:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
£197m for Yorkshire and the Humber.

That works out at about 30 quid each.

About 1.5% of what's been spent on Crossrail for London over the past decade.

About 0.00001% of the wealth this country makes every year.

That's what May reckons she needs to bung you to keep supporting her.

That's what this bunch of f**kers think you are worth.

That's the amount they reckon they need to spend to buy your MPs' votes to secure May's deal.

A couple of big rounds and you've been bought, haven't you? That's what they are saying. That's what they think of you.

Like I say, if you don't see through this, then, frankly, you deserve of everything that's coming.

If you don't feel humiliated, used and cheated with every bone and nerve in your body, then you deserve to be used by these bas**rds.

Don't say you weren't warned.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:39:30 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1678 on March 04, 2019, 07:09:09 am by Donnywolf »
Is there no depths which she wont plumb ?

Personally I do hope (even if we do eventually Leave) that however we do it seems to owe nothing at all to Theresa "catchline" May - though I daresay she will be able to say something like ....

.... well I DID deliveron on the will of the British people - and made sure we left in a timeframe almost what we had aimed for - and most of the final Agreement had its DNA in my original Chequers deal

I can hear it now - trolled out in memoirs and talk shows and during talks of her "legacy". Please god DONT let it happen !

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #1679 on March 04, 2019, 08:32:32 am by DonnyOsmond »
Always makes me laugh people in our area literally voted to make themselves poorer. Were one of the areas that benefit the most regularly, which is multiple times this one off payment from Theresa but people here are still vehemently pro-Brexit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012