Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:52:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 920321 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7560 on October 20, 2020, 06:56:34 pm by drfchound »
Heard some grim news on R4 today. Apparently the Govt is in discussions with South Yorks Mayors about us going into Tier 3.

Been ongoing for a few days apparently

He probably hasn’t been paying attention.  😉

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7561 on October 20, 2020, 09:36:18 pm by 5minstogo »
Ros Jones is battling against it but says its only a matter of time.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7562 on October 20, 2020, 09:38:00 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

Why is she battling against it?  Hospital cases are larger than the first outbreak seemingly, well over 250 cases announced today, that's substantial.

Important to get the funding but if it's comparable to Lancashire get on with it.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7563 on October 20, 2020, 09:38:59 pm by Dagenham Rover »

saying Donny has the lowest rate compared to the other SY towns and city

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7564 on October 20, 2020, 09:40:52 pm by belton rover »
Heard some grim news on R4 today. Apparently the Govt is in discussions with South Yorks Mayors about us going into Tier 3.

Been ongoing for a few days apparently

He probably hasn’t been paying attention.  😉
Casper! Casper!
On your feet, lad!
Were you asleep!?

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7565 on October 20, 2020, 09:54:58 pm by 5minstogo »

True but there is a lot of travel/commuting between Donny, Barnsley,  Rotherham and Sheffield.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7566 on October 20, 2020, 10:10:46 pm by Dagenham Rover »

True but there is a lot of travel/commuting between Donny, Barnsley,  Rotherham and Sheffield.

Not half as much commuting as there is between London Boroughs  and normally done in a safer way up here   ;)  Just passing comment like :)  and I see Mr Khan is calling for the 10pm curfew to be scrapped in London...........
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:13:40 pm by Dagenham Rover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7567 on October 20, 2020, 10:40:49 pm by SydneyRover »
The virus can be kept in check with a robust track, trace and isolate system.

The lower the infection rate - the more effect the TTI will be.

Use a national lockdown for two weeks to get the rate as low as possible - and use those two weeks to set up a TTI as good as South Korea/New Zealand/Germany/Greece.

This.

A prime exmple is NSW and Vic where NSW has a strong T&T team supported by a better funded health system, Vic doesn't and the second wave not only got away from them is was harder screw down.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7568 on October 20, 2020, 10:45:09 pm by drfchound »

Why is she battling against it?  Hospital cases are larger than the first outbreak seemingly, well over 250 cases announced today, that's substantial.

Important to get the funding but if it's comparable to Lancashire get on with it.

I would imagine that she is arguing about the economic disadvantages to shutting down.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7569 on October 20, 2020, 11:03:12 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It does seem rather odd to lump Donny in to what is far more a Sheffield problem, but to leave Chesterfield, Bassetlaw and NE Derbyshire out, when those places are adjoining Sheffield and there's a lot of movement between them.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7570 on October 20, 2020, 11:21:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »
It does seem rather odd to lump Donny in to what is far more a Sheffield problem, but to leave Chesterfield, Bassetlaw and NE Derbyshire out, when those places are adjoining Sheffield and there's a lot of movement between them.

Re - Bassetlaw - Nottinghamshire would be going to Tier 3 too.

https://twitter.com/BBCSheffield/status/1318251534371741696?s=19

That's has the local rates. Doing it by counties is a bit crazy when you consider Nottingham are 641 per 100,000 and Bassetlaw is only 165, which is around the UK average.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7571 on October 20, 2020, 11:46:06 pm by River Don »
Meanwhile over in Ireland they are embarking on a full six week lockdown.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7572 on October 20, 2020, 11:54:26 pm by Dagenham Rover »
I don't know what the answer is apart from maybe dig a big wide canal to cut Devon and Cornwall off from the rest of the UK and lock everywhere else down

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7573 on October 21, 2020, 07:10:03 am by Filo »
I don't know what the answer is apart from maybe dig a big wide canal to cut Devon and Cornwall off from the rest of the UK and lock everywhere else down

That big wide Channel separating the UK from mainland Europe didn’t stop the virus spreading here, so I doubt a canal will

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7574 on October 21, 2020, 08:32:22 am by Donnywolf »
Yes Trains and Boats and especially Planes saw to that !

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7575 on October 21, 2020, 08:57:10 am by DonnyOsmond »
South Yorkshire Tier 3 announcement today.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #7576 on October 21, 2020, 09:15:33 am by Donnywolf »
That will be the end of my Friday night home brew sessions then if I read the rules correctly. Oh well bad luck on the other 2 people lol

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7578 on October 21, 2020, 09:36:18 am by River Don »
So we've got tier 3 stretching from Merseyside to Doncaster now.

Leeds and Newcastle areas are also on the radar. York has seen a massive jump in infections, particularly amongst students. So that leaves Hull.

They might as well put a blanket restriction across the entire north of England.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 09:44:13 am by River Don »

Yargo

• Forum Member
« Reply #7579 on October 21, 2020, 10:06:08 am by Yargo »
 Comforting to know that many thousands will still be working in the many warehouses 24 hours a day  throughout South Yorkshire so that the close everything down mob can safely do their online shopping

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #7580 on October 21, 2020, 10:43:18 am by Axholme Lion »
Comforting to know that many thousands will still be working in the many warehouses 24 hours a day  throughout South Yorkshire so that the close everything down mob can safely do their online shopping

It really annoys me that many of the people screaming for a national lockdown are the ones who will still get paid a full wage. Once again it's the private sector workers who would be hammered.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7581 on October 21, 2020, 10:56:53 am by IDM »

It really annoys me that many of the people screaming for a national lockdown are the ones who will still get paid a full wage. Once again it's the private sector workers who would be hammered.

That’s a bit unfair.

I was one of those who said we should have clamped down sooner back in March, I then went on furlough for 3 months due to a downturn in my employers’ trade volume and a few weeks after returning in July was made redundant. 

I lost a decent job paying circa £35K due to Covid.

Now to make ends meet I “got on my bike” as Tebbit (?) used to say, and landed myself a job at one of those 24 hour warehouses but now I’m earning £15k less.

And yes I am in favour of a 2-3 week lockdown and repeatedly so every few months.  Closing places for a couple of weeks is better than an indefinite shutdown under these local restrictions.?

Plus one of my household would probably lose their job if there was an indefinite lockdown again, local or otherwise, but a short lockdown is still the best way forward for the country as a whole..

Don’t you go labelling me with your annoyance.!!

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #7582 on October 21, 2020, 11:55:24 am by Axholme Lion »

That’s a bit unfair.

I was one of those who said we should have clamped down sooner back in March, I then went on furlough for 3 months due to a downturn in my employers’ trade volume and a few weeks after returning in July was made redundant. 

Now to make ends meet I “got on my bike” as Tebbit (?) used to say, and landed myself a job at one of those 24 hour warehouses but now I’m earning £15k less.

And yes I am in favour of a 2-3 week lockdown and repeatedly so every few months.  Closing places for a couple of weeks is better than an indefinite shutdown under these local restrictions.?

Plus one of my household would probably lose their job if there was an indefinite lockdown again, local or otherwise, but a short lockdown is still the best way forward for the country as a whole..

I apologise to you and am sorry to hear of your misfortune. To make myself more clear I was referring to council leaders and government scientists. Sorry.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7583 on October 21, 2020, 12:02:11 pm by drfchound »

Where would you draw the line though BST?
If you tagged on Chesterfield, Bassetlaw and NE Derbyshire then would you then think you needed to include the areas that adjoin the three that you mentioned?
What about areas that adjoin South Yorkshire too.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #7584 on October 21, 2020, 12:12:44 pm by IDM »

That’s a bit unfair.

I apologise to you and am sorry to hear of your misfortune. To make myself more clear I was referring to council leaders and government scientists. Sorry.

Accepted, sincerely.  Thanks AL.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7585 on October 21, 2020, 12:17:11 pm by River Don »

Those people working in warehouse settings will be doing so lock down or not.

However, when they are working under tier3 conditions, hopefully the rate of transmission will be lower in the community generally. So the chances of someone contracting the virus will be lower in a warehouse setting than it would be under normal conditions.

And those people working in warehouses are at least still getting full pay, unlike those on 2/3 income on furlough or those put out of work by the virus and trying to get by on universal credit.

There are plenty of people having to take greater risks for low pay, nurses and health care staff, customer facing supermarket staff, taxi drivers, bus drivers and so on.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:34:38 pm by River Don »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7586 on October 21, 2020, 12:46:26 pm by ravenrover »

If you tagged on Chesterfield, Bassetlaw and NE Derbyshire then would you then think you needed to include the areas that adjoin the three that you mentioned?
Nottingham next but hopefully not Nottinghamshire

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7587 on October 21, 2020, 12:49:13 pm by Dagenham Rover »

Nottingham next but hopefully not Nottinghamshire

And I bet Londons the last.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7588 on October 21, 2020, 12:50:53 pm by drfchound »
It wasn’t last time.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #7589 on October 21, 2020, 01:05:52 pm by River Don »
Why is the government even bothering to talk to regional authorities and mayor's, if they are just going to impose restrictions and funding on them?

It's just a waste of time, taking days to get to a point where they impose their restrictions anyway. If they believe T3 will improve the situation they could have imposed it a week ago.

Edit: Apparently S Yorks was given a take it or leave it offer, so it seems the government have pretty much reached this point now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:19:32 pm by River Don »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012