Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:27:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Mandy is doing OK: further updates.  (Read 57256 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Mandy is doing OK
« Reply #60 on September 08, 2018, 09:42:34 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
For us many would say he did half the amount of running and leave it at that. Those less glamorous parts of the game are where he needed to improve

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on September 08, 2018, 10:03:08 pm by Alickismyhero »
Mandy's strength is his play making but managers today demand the tracking back defending and he is not up to that for 90mins. I think he is pathetic at tackling  His skill is to unlock defences and make his team play good football and score goals but that is not happening if you look at the stats. In the first half MFC were the best side and Mandy set up several good chances but the striker(s) were just not up to it and I fear that is the case most games.

Someone on this forum said "its difficult for Mandy to stand out in a bad side", not really, Mandy is head and shoulders above his team mates just play him to his strengths!!!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on September 09, 2018, 10:51:26 am by Alickismyhero »
I got the impression from the supporters I talked to in the pub before the game and in the ground the majority of Morecambe supporters are of the opinion that Mandy should be played in the centre of the pitch and not isolated on the wing. Personally I agree with them but alas the man who counts, the manager, disagrees.

Morecambe are a better team than their league position suggests and they need Mandy to have this roving central position to unlock defences, having watched him I am more convinced than ever he can do it.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on September 09, 2018, 04:35:47 pm by Alickismyhero »
A few more comments from Morecambe:

A bit guilty of doing too much yesterday but to be fair, only AJ is on his wave length. Looks a bit too good for us and is turning in to the best player in the playground. Would love to see him and AJ up front as a pair.

------------------------------------

Thats what i was saying, its just Mandy is supposedly a moody player, and he did say he's happy playing where he is, being allowed to run at people with the ball.

But i bet them 2 upfront in a partnership would be an absolute nightmare for L2 defences!

----------------------------------------

He is in the last chance saloon though so I can't see him trying to rock the boat. Rumours of bad habits, a poor loan last season and ended up at the smallest club in L2 so I can't see him complaining publicly. If it doesn't work out here for him, where does he go next? The lad has bags of talent and I hope he continues to shine but I also hope he doesn't lose team ethics and start doing it all himself. He could become another Richard Brodie if he doesn't get it right here.
BerlinWaller

---------------------------------------------------------------

For me a player with outstanding talent that we are to date not using him in a creative central role just behind the strikers that his skill warrants. Too often he was having to track back to get the ball rather than it being played to him from defence. Second half being stuck out wide he was a shadow of the player in the first 45. Play in the central areas where he can use his skill and dictate play and the strikers could benefit.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 09, 2018, 04:47:22 pm by NickDRFC »
Alickismyhero - how much time, energy and effort do you think you spend on reading and writing about Mandeville as opposed to players who are currently in the Rovers squad? 16 of your last 20 posts going back a fortnight are about Mandeville - I'm interested in the fortunes of our players out on loan, but a lot more interested on those currently in the hoops - is he a family member or something?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on September 09, 2018, 05:07:41 pm by Alickismyhero »
No connection at all.

Obviously my posts are of no use to you but they may be of interest to other supporters who are interested in how Mandy is doing at Morecambe after all he is still one of our players.

Due to family commitments I am unable to go to home games but I was able to arrange a holiday in the Lake District at the same time as Morecambe's home game with Swindon and it seemed a good idea to find out for myself how Mandy was doing. I even wanted to find out what Morecambe supporters thought of him.

Please feel free to ignore my postings about him, you don't have to read them.

The topic has been hit over 3800 times,  I think that would indicate there is a slight interest in how Mandy is doing.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on September 09, 2018, 07:13:22 pm by selby »
  Nick, as Alick has posted just ignore the thread about him, and keep watching some of they players that are still here.
  You will watch for quite a while though, to see some of them score goals like he has scored for Morecambe this season.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on September 09, 2018, 07:50:05 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
I'm appreciative of your efforts, Alick.

I'd like to think Mandy still has a future here.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 09, 2018, 08:02:05 pm by drfchound »
  Nick, as Alick has posted just ignore the thread about him, and keep watching some of they players that are still here.
  You will watch for quite a while though, to see some of them score goals like he has scored for Morecambe this season.

Come on Bri, a bit OTT there.
The one that Blair got on Saturday was superb and even Alfie Mays’ against Blackpool was a cracker.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on September 09, 2018, 08:20:49 pm by selby »
  Hound. I am not comparing, watch the one against Preston, and I think at Stevenage, do you think we have  anyone who can score them sort of goals?

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on September 09, 2018, 08:26:32 pm by RedJ »
Couldn't give a f**k how they're scored as long as they go in to be honest.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on September 09, 2018, 09:02:05 pm by selby »
  That I agree with Red,but it is nice to have a bit of class in your locker as well.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on September 09, 2018, 09:31:40 pm by NickDRFC »
  Hound. I am not comparing, watch the one against Preston, and I think at Stevenage, do you think we have  anyone who can score them sort of goals?

I hadn’t seen any of his goals so just looked up the one versus Preston - a half volley from just inside the area that went straight through the keeper. Marquis’ finish last weekend and Blair’s yesterday were both more impressive goals for me, so I’d say yes, we do have the kind of player who can score those goals. Couldn’t find a goal against Stevenage but did find one against Bury that was a really good finish from outside the box, but again I wouldn’t say that’s beyond the capabilities of anyone we have at the moment.

Alickismyhero - as I stated in my post, I am interested in how our loan players are getting on, so please don’t say “obviously my posts are of no use to you”. I was just interested because you have written a lot about him recently. The fact that there doesn’t seem to be any interest in how McCullough is getting on made me think that you might have a connection to Mandy.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on September 10, 2018, 09:39:00 am by Alickismyhero »
Nick, I would like to spend the time researching players out on loan like McC but due to a few problems I have to deal with domestically I just don't have the time.

To actually make a game I have to plan well ahead and then probably cancel at the last minute. This was my first game of the season and on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Why Mandy? He's a local lad and I happen to think if he is handled correctly should have made it in our first team. Personally I don't see him coming back but I would like our supporters to know how he is doing and what the Morecambe supporters think of him.

I am one of those supporters who like to talk and pass an opinion to the unfortunately supporters around me and get a banter going. I did not get one bad comment about Mandy but in football that can change over night.

Mandy strikes me as a young boy growing up in a mans game, pathetic at tackling but very able to open up defences, personally I rate him very highly. I wish him well for the future but I don't see it at Donny.

Well done Nick if you got this far. I perfecly understand you not reading this as there are some posters I avoid.

All the best Terry

Now back to the holiday! Football comments over?

Or is it? I move up to Edinburgh on Wednesday so I will be trying to make it to Motherwell to watch Curtis Main on Saturday, now that would get a few complaints.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #74 on September 10, 2018, 10:06:54 am by selby »
  I think you missed the point with both goals Nick, they beat the goalkeeper because he hit the shot early,  on the run,instant control,and you have seen him do that for us, the one against Scunthorpe last season first time on the run across the defender.
  Yes some of our players have scored spectacular goals, but apart from Marquise and Wilks only occasionally, we have waited the best part of the season for one from May and Blair, hopefully they do it more often now the system gets players going beyond the strikers into the box.
  We need more goals from other players than the strikers, if we do, they will not attract the attention of defenders so much, and their job will be easier.
  Sop Marquis and in most games you stopped our goals for the last eighteen months.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on September 10, 2018, 11:54:14 am by RoversAlias »
I'm happy to read about how Mandeville is doing and I hope he comes good. I like him and think he just lost his way a bit last year. I fear it may be too late for him at DRFC although I hope not.

The goal he scored in their defeat last weekend was a brilliant curling effort from outside the box. He's capable of that as we saw in his L2 performances here.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on September 10, 2018, 02:04:03 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Thanks for the write up about Mandy, always liked the way those type of players play. Could he be called back in January? Not sure how it works, but, he scored the goal of the week last week and has been in the team of the week. To me that says a lot about him, playing in a team just above the relegation zone. It won't have gone unnoticed by certain clubs either. I'd love to have him back here as I don't think we've got anyone who could unlock the opposition teams like he could.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
Re: Mandy is doing OK further update.
« Reply #77 on September 23, 2018, 11:00:51 am by Alickismyhero »
Comments taken from Morecambe Forum:

Mandy, a different class again. I don't like Mandy out wide but enjoy it when he cuts inside and curls one. Beats men with ease and has a great touch. Played a big role in the goal.

…………………………………………………………………………..

He is a quality player and he seems to be enjoying being a regular starter.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:46:18 pm by Alickismyhero »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on September 23, 2018, 11:02:24 am by RedJ »
If they like a man who can curl one out they'd love me.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on September 23, 2018, 12:20:27 pm by steve@dcfd »
I believe he’d do a better job than Taylor but the manager sees it differently. Again Taylor came on yesterday ok late on but he still looks unfit he did the run down the right side near end and he was knackered.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on September 23, 2018, 01:09:04 pm by Alickismyhero »
For a start Steve I don't see Mandy coming back  to Donny but when you compare Taylor with Mandy, Taylor is coming to the end of his playing days and Mandy is at the start, hopefully.

The danger for me is that Morecambe drop out of the league and take Mandy down as well. He  is too good to fall out of football altogether but with his current form I am sure a 1st/2nd division team will take him on. I fear he has bad a bad experience at Donny and may follow Curtis Mains example and say "no" to coming back, but who knows? football is a funny old game.

I am pleased that Morecambe got a win yesterday because when I watched the Swindon game at Morecambe, when they lost 1-0,  Mandy looked the most dejected player for Morecambe but a win changes everything and will, I feel sure, put a smile on his face.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on September 23, 2018, 03:30:36 pm by elmsallrover »
Who cares mandy or Wilkes only one for me and that's wilkes

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on September 23, 2018, 03:42:33 pm by Alickismyhero »
More comments:

Just seen the extended highlights, I'm quite impressed! Some of the interplay between Oates, Mandeville and Wildig is lovely, and it was great to see Fleming making some good runs into forward positions all game, which obviously led to his goal.

………………………………………………..

I'm confident in all our forward player's, especially Mandeville, abilities to find little pockets of space and Tutte looks like a player who can pick them out.

Don't takle offence but I think you have missed the point of this topic Elmsall.

I was not attempting to compare any player suggesting that Mandy should return and replace say Wilks. My post was to let those supporters that were interested know how Mandy was doing that's all. By all means do a separate topic to cover your opinion and I probably would not challenge your opinion.

https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/23.09.18-match-highlights-morecambe/

Worth a watch to interested parties

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on September 23, 2018, 04:20:42 pm by Copps is Magic »
Alick, don't pay attention. I appreciate the updates. In the same way Leeds fans are monitoring Wilks closely we should be doing the same with Mandy. Some appear to think once a player is gone, they're gone. As if nothing can change in a players development, despite us having the likes of Marquis who has vastly improved with us. Hope Mandeville continues playing well.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on September 23, 2018, 04:34:01 pm by selby »
  Morcambe won yesterday, and in the football league paper report star man of the game is Liam Mandeville, given 8 out of 10. and was selected in the league 2 team of the week.
  It was backed up by the comments of some of their supporters on their forum who also said he had played well and was their outstanding player in the game.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on September 23, 2018, 04:39:49 pm by Alickismyhero »
The sad thing is Copps I cant see him coming back. I have watched him and I think he has improved even though he has been played out of his best position. If you look at two things on those highlights,
1. The curling shot from the left of the box which nearly beats the keeper on his left, I think it was.
2. Mandy's very close play to set up the winner in the second half.

To get the best out of him he must be involved in more play which means he should be played centrally behind a front two with a free roving role.

I will stick by what I have said in the past "Mandy is a gem"

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on September 23, 2018, 08:50:19 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Who cares mandy or Wilkes only one for me and that's wilkes

Wilkes isn't our player, Mandeville is.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on September 23, 2018, 09:14:49 pm by drfchound »
I don’t think he will be for much longer though.(Mandeville).

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on September 23, 2018, 09:42:05 pm by Alickismyhero »
I don’t think he will be for much longer though.(Mandeville).

Unfortunately I think you are right I can't see him coming back, in fact, I would recommend that he doesn't. Things are looking up for him now, he has a few people to prove wrong and I hope he succeeds in doing just that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on September 23, 2018, 09:44:13 pm by selby »
  Hound, if he keeps playing like he is the rest of the season, we need to offer him another contract, because of his age we would be due a fee if he signed for someone else next season if we do.
 Likewise if he gets a transfer in January, someone like Hill at Rochdale will be savvy enough to make us look mugs if we don't, and if he plays regularly he may just kick on further and be worth quite a bit of money, and we would be kicking ourselves again if we lose out on a sell on clause.
  We have been pillocks before, losing out on players we the club, and some supporters didn't rate.
  It is down to the lad himself to keep playing well, improve and kick on, he starts with an advantage on a lot of others, he has the talent to do it, the question is does if he want it enough?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012