Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 10:56:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson  (Read 125087 times)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
Re: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
« Reply #900 on January 02, 2020, 07:49:16 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So we un cheaper meat from Australia and NZ like we did in the 70's and we buy our our products rather than theirs!

And how, exactly, is that an example of the government offsetting anything?

Apart from the obvious answer that it's nothing of the kind.

PS Do you seriously think Australia and New Zealand are still as stuck in the 1970s as you are?

PPS I've just looked up Australian beef prices. The 'cheap meat' seems to be a myth. Twenty years ago it was cheap - an average wholesale price of about £1.20 a kilo. Now it's about £4.60 a kilo. That's without transport costs, importing costs and everybody inbetween adding on their slice of profit on top.
On reading your post Glynn I went on line and found this

from The Irish Times

What is the new South American beef deal that will affect Ireland?
Mercosur deal has been accused for ‘selling out’ Irish farmers

Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 13:20 Updated: Mon, Jul 1, 2019, 17:38
Basically the Eu is attempting to buy beef from the Mercosur Nations, Brazil,Paraguay,Uruguay etc. This has cause concern in Eire where they will have to compete with Beef which is 50% cheaper per KG than Irish beef...
Thank you and goodnight!

Thank you and goodnight? What are you on??

What exactly has something that

(a) Has nothing to do with the UK

(b) Has nothing to do with a non-EU country (which is what the UK is going to become)

(c) Only talks about Customs tariffs and conveniently ignores CAP implications - you know, that CAP that the UK is leaving, and

(d) Hasn't happened at all anyway and is therefore a complete non-story

Got the f**k to do with the UK and imports of cheap meat from Australia and NZ?

If that's best non-refutation you can come out - an article from a foreign newspaper talking about things that have absolutely no bearing on the UK, and also makes no mention of 'The EU' buying beef (the EU doesn't buy beef from anyone, importers do), and also make no mention of any 50% cheaper beef either - no wonder you didn't bother giving a link to see the article for ourselves and seeing what a load of b*llocks your reportage of it is.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #901 on January 02, 2020, 07:55:59 pm by wilts rover »
How will this cheap import of agricultural goods affect Northern Ireland Sproty?

An area of the UK which is extremely rural and is known to be quite 'volatile' if it believes the UK is treating it unfairly.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #902 on January 02, 2020, 08:06:21 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
How will this cheap import of agricultural goods affect Northern Ireland Sproty?

An area of the UK which is extremely rural and is known to be quite 'volatile' if it believes the UK is treating it unfairly.

Just to put this into some sort of context and not in the sensationalisation of a journalist who seems to know as little about this as sproty, Eire exports 270,000 tonnes of beef to the UK. This deal will only allow in a total quota of beef from the whole of Mercosur of 99,000 tonnes. And that will be at a Customs Tariff of 7.5% (before any CAP implications) - which the Irish Times seems to have forgotten to mention.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #903 on January 02, 2020, 08:17:54 pm by Sprotyrover »

Just to put this into some sort of context and not in the sensationalisation of a journalist who seems to know as little about this as sproty, Eire exports 270,000 tonnes of beef to the UK. This deal will only allow in a total quota of beef from the whole of Mercosur of 99,000 tonnes. And that will be at a Customs Tariff of 7.5% (before any CAP implications) - which the Irish Times seems to have forgotten to mention.
Cheers Glynn, cheeky Journos eh!

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #904 on January 02, 2020, 08:19:37 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Cheers Glynn, cheeky Journos eh!

Credulous readers, eh!

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #905 on January 02, 2020, 08:58:20 pm by wilts rover »

To go back to my previous point I was just musing on what I took the implications of Sproty's previous post to be.

He will have to tell us exactly what he meant but I think he was attempting to demonstrate how Brexit will be beneficial to the UK as there is cheap beef that can be sourced from South America - hence the article.

All well and good but what implications will that have for British farmers? Especially in Northern Ireland.

75% of Northern Ireland is farmland. Over 50% of this is cattle, dairy and beef. Just under 50000 people work on farms, most of them small farmers - and they make up just under 4% of the total NI economy - nearly 3x as much as the rest of the UK.

So I think it is worth repeating again 'what will be the effect in Northern Ireland of allowing into the UK (or Eire) cheap agricultural goods after Brexit? A place known to be somewhat volatile if it is thought to be treated unfairly by the UK government?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/about-the-rspb/at-home-and-abroad/northern-ireland/farminginnorthernireland/
https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/daera/Key%20Statistics%20for%202019.pdf

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #906 on January 03, 2020, 08:33:02 am by SydneyRover »
Well there’s a surprise!

Growing numbers of business leaders in the UK believe Brexit uncertainty will take longer to resolve than Boris Johnson pledged before the election, according to a Bank of England survey.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/02/brexit-trade-deal-unlikely-before-2021-business-leaders-say

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #907 on January 06, 2020, 09:06:25 pm by bobjimwilly »
well f*ck me who'd of thought it?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #908 on January 06, 2020, 10:19:43 pm by drfchound »
Exactly bjw.
The Brexiteers amongst us have much to answer for.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #909 on January 09, 2020, 04:00:11 pm by foxbat »
Is it just me that sees something pretty sinister in dePfeffel Johnson's call to "unite and level-up"
in his post-election speech on the steps of No. 10 - given that the Nazi priciple of "Gleichschaltung"
can be translated as "levelling up"?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #910 on January 09, 2020, 10:33:48 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
What the f**k does this "levelling up" phrase mean anyway? It's clearly become a buzz word in the Tory party because they are all saying it. But I haven't got a clue what it means. Level WHAT up? To WHAT level?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #911 on January 10, 2020, 06:55:07 pm by foxbat »
if is the same as this we are so in the sh1t

Gleichschaltung (German pronunciation: [ˈɡlaɪçʃaltʊŋ]), or in English co-ordination, was in Nazi terminology the process of Nazification by which Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party successively established a system of totalitarian control and coordination over all aspects of German society and societies occupied by Nazi Germany "from the economy and trade associations to the media, culture and education".[1]

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #912 on January 14, 2020, 09:56:22 am by ravenrover »
Latest policy
Bung a bob for Big Ben Bong
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:06:14 pm by ravenrover »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #913 on January 14, 2020, 10:13:24 am by SydneyRover »
Didn't take long did it?

The prime minister claimed there would be no checks on goods going from NI to GB and only minimal checks on goods going the other way under his plan for a post-Brexit alternative to the backstop. He said:
Be in no doubt. We are the government of the United Kingdom. I cannot see any circumstances whatever in which they will be any need for checks on goods going from Northern Ireland to GB. The only circumstances in which you could imagine the need for checks coming from GB to NI, as I’ve explained before, is if those goods were going on into Ireland and we had not secured, which I hope and I’m confident we will, a zero tariff, zero quota agreement with our friends and partners in the EU.

And, furthermore, I would remind you that the arrangements that we have put in place under the Northern Ireland protocol automatically evaporate after four years unless the assembly of Northern, the government of Northern Ireland, decides that they want to protract them.

So there are plenty of protections for Northern Irish business, farmers and others.

This is untrue.

As John Campbell, BBC Northern Ireland’s business and economics editor points out, Johnson is wrong to say that a zero tariff free trade deal would obviate the need for checks on goods going from Britain to Northern Ireland under his plan, which would effectively put a customs barrier down the Irish Sea.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #914 on January 14, 2020, 01:23:10 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Didn't take long did it?

The prime minister claimed there would be no checks on goods going from NI to GB and only minimal checks on goods going the other way under his plan for a post-Brexit alternative to the backstop. He said:
Be in no doubt. We are the government of the United Kingdom. I cannot see any circumstances whatever in which they will be any need for checks on goods going from Northern Ireland to GB. The only circumstances in which you could imagine the need for checks coming from GB to NI, as I’ve explained before, is if those goods were going on into Ireland and we had not secured, which I hope and I’m confident we will, a zero tariff, zero quota agreement with our friends and partners in the EU.

And, furthermore, I would remind you that the arrangements that we have put in place under the Northern Ireland protocol automatically evaporate after four years unless the assembly of Northern, the government of Northern Ireland, decides that they want to protract them.

So there are plenty of protections for Northern Irish business, farmers and others.

This is untrue.

As John Campbell, BBC Northern Ireland’s business and economics editor points out, Johnson is wrong to say that a zero tariff free trade deal would obviate the need for checks on goods going from Britain to Northern Ireland under his plan, which would effectively put a customs barrier down the Irish Sea.

Anyone who knows anything about Customs Law knew Johnson was talking out of his arse the second he spoke. But some people don't want to listen to experts.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #915 on January 24, 2020, 02:42:57 pm by foxbat »
U&nfortunately many in this country would rather listen to Ex Pats

The truth is out.
Turns out that complex forms for GB and NI traders wishing to send goods in either direction. I've lost count of the number of times Boris Johnson swore blind there wouldn't be any.
 So no surprises there then.

Revealed: complex post-Brexit checks for Northern Irish traders

Transport and manufacturing heads criticise paperwork needed to trade with GB

Seamus Lehany, the head of the FTA in Belfast, said: “It’s the haulier who must complete the paperwork

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #916 on January 25, 2020, 10:48:45 am by SydneyRover »
leopards and spots?

''Former 'red wall' areas could lose millions in council funding review
£300m a year set be redirected from deprived areas to shire councils, analysis shows''

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/25/former-red-wall-areas-could-lose-millions-in-council-funding-review

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #918 on February 03, 2020, 05:58:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Following in his idol's footsteps

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journalists-walk-out-no-10-briefing-a9314996.html?fbclid=IwAR2BG45yQ1wudSEAGMlCuFRNMT6BLNKuEe91RLsr75S82NbH3lFkoWbuDbg

And folk are still saying we should all pull together and be nice to one another.

Open your eyes folks. Look what's happening right in front of you. This is how it happens. You don't get someone coming along with a big brass band and a flashing neon sign saying "I'm going to undermine your democracy". They do it in bits. and it happens if people don't actually care enough to resist it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #919 on February 03, 2020, 06:56:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Following in his idol's footsteps

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journalists-walk-out-no-10-briefing-a9314996.html?fbclid=IwAR2BG45yQ1wudSEAGMlCuFRNMT6BLNKuEe91RLsr75S82NbH3lFkoWbuDbg

Not a single word about this on the BBC website by the way.

The way that the BBC has abdicated its responsibility on educating and informing the public about what the Govt is doing is beyond depressing.

And Kuenssberg. I hate pointing the finger at individual journalists but she is reprehensible. Yes she refused to go into that press briefing. But she has said zero about it. She has Tweeted 15 times today. Not once about this issue.

PS. That also applies to that other vacuous waste of space, Peston.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:03:00 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #920 on February 03, 2020, 08:06:49 pm by wilts rover »
So what you are saying Billy is that two of the most senior British political reporters are not reporting something newsworthy that they actually saw for themselves as they were involved in it.

The same two senior political reporters who of course reported something newsworthy during the GE that did not happen - but reported it because the Tory Party said it did.

Mussolini and Franco would be proud.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #921 on February 03, 2020, 09:12:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
That's precisely what I'm saying Wilts.

At best it's horrifically weak and sloppy journalism. At worst, collusion with a Govt which is actively undermining the ability of the media to hold them to account.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #922 on February 03, 2020, 09:35:46 pm by wilts rover »
If it helps at all Billy I am ruling out option a).

Nor do I blame it on (those) particular journalists. It has been widely reported so they have no good reason not to comment - it must be an editorial decision. Which is even more worrying.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #925 on February 06, 2020, 07:39:57 am by SydneyRover »
''In a central plank of the Conservative party campaign, Johnson pledged to invest in new transport projects and other large public works to narrow the gap between the UK’s wealthiest cities and poorer regions.

However, NIESR said the plan would take a decade to deliver and would fail to offset the damage to economic growth from Brexit''

I suppose this is what you end up with when you allow an alpha-liar to make it up and present it as policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/06/economists-warning-boris-johnson-election-pledge-output

The second para is the most compelling bit, there must have been loads of saps that believed this, and at the same time rubbishing labour's policies.

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #926 on February 12, 2020, 07:51:03 pm by foxbat »

Boris Johnson’s dad receives multi-million pound payout over HS2

Boris Johnson’s dad has received a multi-million pound compensation deal over HS2 after being forced to sell his home in North London. Stanley Johnson sold the five-bed house in Primrose Hill in October as the plan for the high speed rail development began.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2016/03/09/boris-johnsons-dad-receives-multi-million-pound-payout-over-hs2-5742573/?ito=article.amp.share.bottom.twitter?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #927 on February 12, 2020, 08:01:02 pm by Ldr »
2016, really Foxbat???

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #928 on February 12, 2020, 09:07:49 pm by Iberian Red »
2016, really Foxbat???

Well put Ldr.
That doesnt count anymore,it was the year in which the easily led,blind,pensioners,Daily Mail/Sun readers and racists all had there say.
Which one were you?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #929 on February 13, 2020, 12:10:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
This new Tory party that understands the problems of the common man and are on the side of the working class against The Elite.

Going well isn't it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51482220

TinyPortal © 2005-2012