Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:59:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson  (Read 126037 times)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson
« Reply #1440 on June 15, 2020, 02:52:53 pm by Donnywolf »
Which to me whatever side they are on is totally intolerable

Another vote for PR perhaps - there will still be bent MPs with at least 2 other jobs working under aliases and some fiddling expenses and some doing a Jenrick but I would expect they would be hounded out in pretty short time

The current crop (a large minority at least) are moally devoid / corrupt call it what you will.

Or is this going to be the new normal as you suggest.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1441 on June 15, 2020, 03:10:57 pm by Filo »

Another vote for PR perhaps - there will still be bent MPs with at least 2 other jobs working under aliases and some fiddling expenses and some doing a Jenrick but I would expect they would be hounded out in pretty short time

The current crop (a large minority at least) are moally devoid / corrupt call it what you will.

I agree on the pr, another thing that should be outlawed is the undemocratic use of the whip system

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1442 on June 15, 2020, 07:17:33 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

How will they be hounded out? Under PR, with party lists, the voters have no way of voting them out.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1443 on June 15, 2020, 07:20:07 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I agree on the pr, another thing that should be outlawed is the undemocratic use of the whip system

What's undemocratic about the whip? Surely by making MPs vote along party lines that means they'd better represent their voter's wishes?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1444 on June 15, 2020, 07:46:35 pm by drfchound »

Wolfie, mate, I’m not sure you can have a large minority.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1445 on June 15, 2020, 10:58:11 pm by Filo »

What's undemocratic about the whip? Surely by making MPs vote along party lines that means they'd better represent their voter's wishes?

They are forced to vote the way their leader wants to vote rather than voting how they want to vote, as undemocratic as you can get

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #1446 on June 16, 2020, 09:58:29 am by Not Now Kato »

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1447 on June 16, 2020, 10:43:42 am by Donnywolf »

Wolfie, mate, I’m not sure you can have a large minority.

Ah but :

Minority
/mʌɪˈnɒrɪti,mɪˈnɒrɪti/

See definitions in:
Electoral

noun: minority; plural noun: minorities
    the smaller number or part, especially a number or part representing less than half of the whole.
    "only a minority of properties are rented"
Probably "set someone up" to remind us that there was a Majority in favour of Leaving EU whereas a (very) large minority voted to Remain
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:46:27 am by Donnywolf »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1448 on June 16, 2020, 11:41:31 am by drfchound »
But in reality in that vote, the majority of people who voted  elected to leave and the minority voted to remain.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1449 on June 16, 2020, 11:47:18 am by Glyn_Wigley »

They are forced to vote the way their leader wants to vote rather than voting how they want to vote, as undemocratic as you can get

They're not 'forced' to do any such thing.  Didn't you notice the mass ignoring of the whip last year?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1450 on June 16, 2020, 11:56:08 am by Glyn_Wigley »
But in reality in that vote, the majority of people who voted  elected to leave and the minority voted to remain.

48% and 2% voting to remain are both minorities. But one is bigger than the other.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1451 on June 16, 2020, 01:02:30 pm by SydneyRover »
Rashford has forced the government to U-turn over school meals

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1452 on June 16, 2020, 01:18:40 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good lad.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1453 on June 16, 2020, 01:22:49 pm by SydneyRover »
Scotland have announced the same deal, it's hard work but it's taken this to shame the gov't to make sure kids og poor families get fed.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #1454 on June 16, 2020, 01:45:22 pm by Donnywolf »

48% and 2% voting to remain are both minorities. But one is bigger than the other.

48% would be a very large minority qed

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1455 on June 16, 2020, 01:54:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Two things about how the Govt has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this school meals decision.

1) The morality of it. They are ideologically against this with every nerve in their bodies.

2) The optics. Is no one in Govt smart enough to think how this looks to the country?

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1456 on June 16, 2020, 02:00:55 pm by Hounslowrover »
House of Lords members get £305 a day for turning up, plus travel expenses and subsidised food, and yet the government thought it was ok not to support hungry children. Unbelievable.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #1457 on June 16, 2020, 02:07:47 pm by RoversAlias »
Two things about how the Govt has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this school meals decision.

1) The morality of it. They are ideologically against this with every nerve in their bodies.

2) The optics. Is no one in Govt smart enough to think how this looks to the country?

We're well past the point of them giving a toss about the optics to be fair. If they can just wave away the massive outcry and rage over Cummings, which they appear to have done successfully, then they can do it with anything.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #1458 on June 16, 2020, 02:44:38 pm by EasyforDennis »
And still some people think they are doing a good job!!

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #1459 on June 16, 2020, 02:57:57 pm by Ldr »
Eye opening that 1 footballer is more effective at changing government policy than the official opposition

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #1460 on June 16, 2020, 03:05:51 pm by IDM »
Not at all ldr..

A politician of any party can/will ignore or evade good ideas by their opponent simply because they are the opponent.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1461 on June 16, 2020, 03:50:42 pm by wilts rover »
Love this quote:

Marcus Rashford has proved that Rebecca Long-Bailey is sadly not the most dangerous leftwinger in Manchester

https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1272874928912633862

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #1462 on June 16, 2020, 04:37:28 pm by i_ateallthepies »

We're well past the point of them giving a toss about the optics to be fair. If they can just wave away the massive outcry and rage over Cummings, which they appear to have done successfully, then they can do it with anything.

Bang on the money with that, RA.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1463 on June 16, 2020, 05:44:29 pm by drfchound »

Always looking to stir the pot GW aren’t you.
You clearly didn’t read what I had written.
I said “ in that vote” and as we all know a fewer number of voters voted to remain.
Whichever way you try to wrap that up, remain voters were in the minority in that vote.

Not sure what your reference to 2% was by the way.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1464 on June 16, 2020, 05:59:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Just heard Johnson fielding a question on the free school meals at the daily briefing.

Bear in mind, he knew as certainly as this is Tuesday that this question was going to come up.

He responded, "I...(long pause)...talked to Marcus...ahh...Rashford today and congratuade (sic) him on his campaign which, ter, ter, ter, to be honest I...err...only became aware of...err...very...very recen..or...to...today."

I thought he was supposed to be the great communicator? He sounds like he's got no idea what the next word to fall out of his mouth will be.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1465 on June 16, 2020, 06:06:38 pm by drfchound »
Such a great communicator that you quote him word for word.
Including the stutters.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1466 on June 16, 2020, 06:54:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

I said “ in that vote” and as we all know a fewer number of voters voted to remain.
Whichever way you try to wrap that up, remain voters were in the minority in that vote.

The 2% was purely for illustrative purposes to show the difference between a small minority and a large one, of course. Are you really struggling that much with the concept?

And you're a fine one to complain about someone stirring the pot. Hypocrite.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1467 on June 16, 2020, 07:04:13 pm by drfchound »

The 2% was purely for illustrative purposes to show the difference between a small minority and a large one, of course. Are you really struggling that much with the concept?

You can’t see that the remain voters were in the minority in a two option vote. LoL.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #1468 on June 16, 2020, 07:08:57 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

You can’t see that the remain voters were in the minority in a two option vote. LoL.

You can't understand the term 'illustrative purposes'. Lol.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #1469 on June 16, 2020, 07:18:31 pm by drfchound »

You can't understand the term 'illustrative purposes'. Lol.

Well yes of course, but as I keep telling you, the remain voters were a minority portion of that vote.
If they weren’t then maybe we should still be in the EU. 🙂

TinyPortal © 2005-2012