Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:43:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860301 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #960 on March 23, 2020, 05:21:56 pm by RoversAlias »
I didn't read that it was cancelled, just that it would be taking place later than usual as he is currently chairing a meeting of the emergency coronavirus group.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #961 on March 23, 2020, 05:26:22 pm by Copps is Magic »
Italy has reported another 602 deaths from coronavirus, Reuters news agency says. That brings the total death toll up to 6,078 - but it means that the daily number of deaths has fallen for the second day in a row, down from 651 on Sunday.

Crucially, our Rome correspondent Mark Lowen says, the rise in new infections has slowed again, from 9 to 8.1%.

Latest from Italy, from the BBC. Glad to see they have started to report what is going on out there in a more impartial, non-paniced way.

Terrible that 602 have gone but the trend is becoming clearer.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #962 on March 23, 2020, 05:38:13 pm by jackthelad »
Let's hope if it is a lockdown,something is being done for the self employed.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #963 on March 23, 2020, 06:25:51 pm by drfchound »
Government update at 8.30 tonight.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #964 on March 23, 2020, 06:31:07 pm by jackthelad »
Lockdown incoming  :that:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #965 on March 23, 2020, 06:35:40 pm by silent majority »
I'm not so sure. I think if several countries start seeing a flatter curve we're in a different reality where we'll need to work out what kind of life continues. China seems to be slowly starting things up again.

We have 6 factories in China, all are open and operating at 95% capacity.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #966 on March 23, 2020, 06:55:43 pm by drfchound »
Lockdown is inevitable if idiots keep going out to the seaside etc.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #967 on March 23, 2020, 07:00:23 pm by rich1471 »
Lockdown is inevitable if idiots keep going out to the seaside etc.

Hope so it will be the only way people stay in , hope they impose £50 fines for people who go out without good cause as well

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #968 on March 23, 2020, 07:11:10 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Ive been working in Cleethorpes today St Peters Avenue was like a flippin Oaps tea party   heard one of them comment about social distancing etc "I've never heard owt as ridiculous in my life "    :headbang:

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #970 on March 23, 2020, 09:07:48 pm by IDM »
Lockdown it is then..

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #971 on March 23, 2020, 09:12:31 pm by Filo »
Lockdown it is then..

Well in my opinion, that was as clear as mud, the word lockdown was n’t mentioned, to me it sounded like a final warning

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #972 on March 23, 2020, 09:13:04 pm by Copps is Magic »
While the dear leader is out there telling off the nation for gathering in parks, he'll no doubt be taking serious steps to deal with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJ97CuVUHY

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #973 on March 23, 2020, 09:41:35 pm by IDM »
Lockdown it is then..

Well in my opinion, that was as clear as mud, the word lockdown was n’t mentioned, to me it sounded like a final warning

Final warning.?  That was yesterday.

The restrictions announced tonight are effective immediately, to be reviewed in 3 weeks..

Ok the PM didn’t use the word “lockdown” but to me, and I have been annoyed at the ambiguity beforehand, this is as clear as day.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #974 on March 23, 2020, 09:59:47 pm by Colin C No.3 »
It’s as clear as he ‘dare make’ it.

What a sad reflection on our society when we have to be ‘scolded’ by Boris for not doing as we were told via the government who are acting on advice by all the experts monitoring this virus.

Thank goodness we weren’t reliant on this selfish, ignorant, irresponsible generation in the early 40’s.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #975 on March 23, 2020, 10:35:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

What a sad reflection on our society when we have to be ‘scolded’ by Boris for not doing as we were told via the government who are acting on advice by all the experts monitoring this virus.

Thank goodness we weren’t reliant on this selfish, ignorant, irresponsible generation in the early 40’s.

Is that the generation DR is talking about here?

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=275849.msg956416#msg956416

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #976 on March 23, 2020, 10:47:40 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

It is sad, very sad. People should know better, but it is much of the older generation ignoring it...

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #977 on March 23, 2020, 10:48:22 pm by pib »
Not sure which generation is being spoken about but on my infrequent trips to the supermarket I’ve seen a lot of folks who would’ve lived through the early 40s....

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #978 on March 23, 2020, 10:54:11 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My take?

There are selfish people in every generation.

There are altruistic people in every generation.

Every generation has wise and stupid people; greedy and selfless; brave and cowards.

There is an interesting point though. The Baby Boomer generation is the first one in a century that is passing on a poorer standard of living to the youngest in society than it itself enjoyed.

A little reflection on that wouldn't go amiss sometimes.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #979 on March 23, 2020, 10:57:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Very few of those alive today would have been old enough to fight in the early '40s. The great majority of those who were alive in the '40s would have been too young to be relied upon to fight.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #980 on March 23, 2020, 11:06:00 pm by pib »
My take?

There are selfish people in every generation.

There are altruistic people in every generation.

Every generation has wise and stupid people; greedy and selfless; brave and cowards.

There is an interesting point though. The Baby Boomer generation is the first one in a century that is passing on a poorer standard of living to the youngest in society than it itself enjoyed.

A little reflection on that wouldn't go amiss sometimes.

Agreed BST. Don’t think it’s a generational issue.

Very few of those alive today would have been old enough to fight in the early '40s. The great majority of those who were alive in the '40s would have been too young to be relied upon to fight.

I don’t think anyone in this thread has intimated that they think they would’ve been BB, which is presumably why you haven’t quoted anybody.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #981 on March 23, 2020, 11:12:27 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I was merely pointing out that I don't think the 'selfish, ignorant, irresponsible generation in the early '40s' was the same generation as the one Dagenham Rover was referring to.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:15:30 pm by Bentley Bullet »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #982 on March 23, 2020, 11:19:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BB.

Save yourself the ire. You've misread my post.

I was asking whether the people who DR was talking about at Cleggy are "this selfish, ignorant, irresponsible generation" that Colin C was talking about. I was NOT suggesting that the people DR was talking about were the ones who fought the war.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #983 on March 23, 2020, 11:21:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I know what you meant.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #984 on March 23, 2020, 11:27:05 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My apologies.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #985 on March 23, 2020, 11:38:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Anyway,

The news on the growth in the number of deaths continues to be better than it might have been.

1) We seem to be still tracking the China trend, which will be far better than we could have hoped, if it continues.

2) France and Germany seem to have broken the fast increase earlier than Italy did.

3) Italy is slowly getting their disaster under some control.

4) Spain...wouldn't want to swap places with them.

For us, the key number tomorrow is about 80. More deaths than that and we are starting to rise above the China trend. Fewer, and we are doing better even than they did. But here's how far we've dropped below Italy at the same point of their crisis - to catch up with them tomorrow, we'd need to see about 300 deaths tomorrow. That would be as many s we have seen in  the past 8 days put together.

Still far from out of this, but it's turning round, slowly. If we can keep following China, and start to come out of lockdown in 6-8 weeks, like they have done, that would be a fantastic achievement.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #986 on March 24, 2020, 12:38:48 am by Bristol Red Rover »
I hear a lot of people thinking the lockdown is about "stopping the virus", but that would take us into 2021 and beyond and even then, just the one virus and it all kicks off again. So, anyone heard any real plan with all this or are we still on the flattening the curve plan albeit with heavy brakes just now, not overwhelming critical care resources and accepting that ultimately xx thousand will die.

I've aksed this in loads of places, never an answer, but I reckon this is the most knowledgeable hive on the planet  :clapping:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #987 on March 24, 2020, 12:40:35 am by RoversAlias »
Thanks BST for this regular info, finding it very useful and actually it instils a little bit of hope.

I was critical early on in this whole crisis of some of the things you were saying so felt it right to comment now.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #988 on March 24, 2020, 12:48:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »
BRR.

This.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

It's a long read, but it's important. Should really be read by everyone on the planet. It's not 100% right on detail, but the principles are right.

1) Hammer down the virus NOW, to avoid our health system being overwhelmed.

2) That is f**king hard (as we are about to see) but it gains you time. Use it to build up your testing and health care capacity.

3) Intelligently release the lock down. See which areas the virus picks up. Lock them down again. Keep other areas open.

4) Repeat 3 till some bas**rd finds a vaccine.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #989 on March 24, 2020, 12:53:43 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Thanks BST for this regular info, finding it very useful and actually it instils a little bit of hope.

I was critical early on in this whole crisis of some of the things you were saying so felt it right to comment now.

RA.

No problem.

I've been used to being Cassandra in here. And I don't bear any grudges on this one. The scale of the threat was too big to comprehend 2-3 weeks ago unless you have a background that she's you up to deal with understanding the maths of rapid changes.

Most people don't. I get that. Most people don't need to.

That just puts a responsibility on those of us who do to get the message out in those rare times when it suddenly matters.

And, to be balanced. The trend for us at the moment is better than I could have possibly hoped 2 weeks ago. It's important to note that.

It's still going to be a f**king hard time for weeks and months. But, because enough people have been sensible in March, we have a chance of coming out of this first wave with only 2-3000 deaths, when it could have been 25,000 or 250,000.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012