Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860485 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #14910 on December 12, 2021, 09:19:29 pm by scawsby steve »
The idiot will get Christmas out of the way first, put us in a much worse position before locking down too late yet again

So you want us to be locked down for Christmas?

If it saves a few thousand lives yes

Get ready for all this for the rest of your life then, because this virus is going nowhere.

The so called experts haven't a f*cking clue how to beat it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14911 on December 12, 2021, 09:20:21 pm by normal rules »
It is utterly tragic that Boris and the govt have created an attitude of mistrust and complete apathy in the general public. I fully understand and accept why people feel this way.
Betrayal is a hard pill to swallow.
However, people must be better than them. We must see beyond their failures.
A few days ago, staff from an a and e dept in Lanarkshire went out on an Xmas party. Half of them are now self isolating. Meaning their a and e dept is running on very low staff.
Multiply this across the country and with an expected big wave of omicron, on top of all the other things we rely on a and e depts for and you can see where this will end up. It won’t be a problem caused by by people with covid being hospitalised. It will be caused by key people having to isolate. Lorry drivers, train drivers, airplane pilots, nurses, doctors, dentists. The list goes on.
Large parts of the societal infrastructure we take for granted having to isolate.
Services closing down or running on much reduced services.
We cannot give in because of their failures.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14912 on December 12, 2021, 09:22:43 pm by SydneyRover »
It is utterly tragic that Boris and the govt have created an attitude of mistrust and complete apathy in the general public. I fully understand and accept why people feel this way.
Betrayal is a hard pill to swallow.
However, people must be better than them. We must see beyond their failures.
A few days ago, staff from an a and e dept in Lanarkshire went out on an Xmas party. Half of them are now self isolating. Meaning their a and e dept is running on very low staff.
Multiply this across the country and with an expected big wave of omicron, on top of all the other things we rely on a and e depts for and you can see where this will end up. It won’t be a problem caused by by people with covid being hospitalised. It will be caused by key people having to isolate. Lorry drivers, train drivers, airplane pilots, nurses, doctors, dentists. The list goes on.
Large parts of the societal infrastructure we take for granted having to isolate.
Services closing down or running on much reduced services.
We cannot give in because of their failures.

Agreed.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14913 on December 12, 2021, 09:58:42 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
The idiot will get Christmas out of the way first, put us in a much worse position before locking down too late yet again
just said to my wife ,come Jan 9th he will say not enough people have taken up the booster jab so lockdown it is , as if it's our fault and not Boris the  tossers fault

:that:

Bang on. The restrictions will come in January and the low uptake of the boosters used as an excuse. Christmas will go ahead as it would be the end of Johnson to cancel it again, especially after what has recently gone on so a New Year toughening up it will be. IMO it has already been decided.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14914 on December 12, 2021, 10:00:32 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Get ready for all this for the rest of your life then, because this virus is going nowhere.

There is no beating it. Which is why this endless obsession with 'slowing the spread' is b*llocks. Accepting the virus is the only way we get out of this, which we could today. There is no one set date when the pandemic is over. It can be over today if everyone is prepared to accept and live with the virus.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14915 on December 12, 2021, 10:05:14 pm by SydneyRover »
I wonder how the good folk of Eyam are holding out?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14916 on December 12, 2021, 10:09:18 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Beautiful village not far from our house. Eyam Hall is a wonder too and lots of paranormal incidents witnessed there. The plague houses also are so pretty yet so much tragedy happened inside. The museum is also worth a visit which is at the top of the village.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14917 on December 12, 2021, 10:14:37 pm by SydneyRover »

Beautiful village not far from our house. Eyam Hall is a wonder too and lots of paranormal incidents witnessed there. The plague houses also are so pretty yet so much tragedy happened inside. The museum is also worth a visit which is at the top of the village.

We paid homage to them a few years ago, a wonderful story, brave people.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14918 on December 12, 2021, 10:15:57 pm by normal rules »

There is no beating it. Which is why this endless obsession with 'slowing the spread' is b*llocks. Accepting the virus is the only way we get out of this, which we could today. There is no one set date when the pandemic is over. It can be over today if everyone is prepared to accept and live with the virus.

Until such time as you need to call the local mh crisis team to find they are all off work isolating. And are closed. Then what ?
Or you are involved In a car crash and need emergency surgery, only to find all or most of  the local consultant surgeons are isolating.
Only then will we realise what we are dealing with. But then it’s too late.
An a and e dept recently were down to half staffing because they went out on an Xmas do only to all catch covid.
How is this sensible, responsible , “living with the virus?”
We must continue to have a balanced, reasoned approach.

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14919 on December 12, 2021, 10:20:38 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Until such time as you need to call the local mh crisis team to find they are all off work isolating. And are closed. Then what ?
Or you are involved In a car crash and need emergency surgery, only to find all or most of  the local consultant surgeons are isolating.
Only then will we realise what we are dealing with. But then it’s too late.
An a and e dept recently were down to half staffing because they went out on an Xmas do only to all catch covid.
How is this sensible, responsible , “living with the virus?”
We must continue to have a balanced, reasoned approach.

tbf, the local mh crisis team have been off work for years.

Omicron will not be a problem. Prof Neil Ferguson predicts millions of deaths. This is why we know it will all be fine.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:22:52 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #14920 on December 12, 2021, 10:37:16 pm by BVB »

Dear CDH
Well perhaps some of us are not prepared to do nothing about this virus (not the same as not accepting it btw) as we don’t want our loved ones - and very vulnerable ones at that - to succumb to a killer virus and therefore not “live with the virus” - just like at least the 140,000 and counting so far who have not “lived” with the virus.

“There is no beating it” (or Scawsby’s “experts haven’t a clue” (expletive removed) - maybe, but based on science’s proven ability to beat / reduce previous diseases I will trust their expertise over time to do so.

In the meantime, vaccinations have reduced the potential for serious illness and death from this virus - to suggest that any responsible govt (and even this shower) would sit back, do nothing and let millions of it’s citizens die - just because of an “endless obsession” with a warped notion of “our freedoms being restricted” and that “nothing can be done” is, in my very humble opinion, ludicrous and naive.

If we applied that logic to the rest of society then civilisation would have collapsed centuries ago.

Regards
BVB

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14921 on December 12, 2021, 10:52:42 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »
How about those who are concerned about the virus modify their lives to suit the level of personal risk they are willing to tolerate and the rest of us can get on with living our lives.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14922 on December 12, 2021, 11:05:10 pm by Bentley Bullet »
CDH, did you agree with the smoking ban in enclosed public places?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14923 on December 12, 2021, 11:07:43 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Doesn't bother me either way. If i know a place has smokers in it i can either go in there or not. My choice. If i work there then i can either continue working there or not. I'm a non smoker.

Christ. The amount of pollutants we are breathing in and the amount of pollutants in our foods that we eat is also dangerous.

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #14924 on December 12, 2021, 11:08:56 pm by BVB »
How about those who are concerned about the virus modify their lives to suit the level of personal risk they are willing to tolerate and the rest of us can get on with living our lives.

Tail wags the dog?

Too right I’m modifying my life to save the lives of those I care about, and I would suggest that you are in the minority to not to.

What is being provided to you now to allow you to “get on with living”’your life?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14925 on December 12, 2021, 11:10:54 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Doesn't bother me either way. If i know a place has smokers in it i can either go in there or not. My choice. If i work there then i can either continue working there or not. I'm a non smoker.

Christ. The amount of pollutants we are breathing in and the amount of pollutants in our foods that we eat is also dangerous.
So you don't think there should be a smoking ban?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14926 on December 12, 2021, 11:13:07 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Tail wags the dog?

Too right I’m modifying my life to save the lives of those I care about, and I would suggest that you are in the minority to not to.

What is being provided to you now to allow you to “get on with living”’your life?

It doesn't matter if i am in a minority of one though does it? This is the whole point. It is my life. My choice. My freedom.

This oppressive curtain of control hanging over us for 20 months is unbearable. As are the erratic, constant changes. Most of which make little logical sense. Then there is the relentless push to get jabs and kids to get jabs. It is overwhelming and all i know is to fight it. If you knew how much autistic people rely on stability, routine, structure and certainty in order to function, then you would understand that some people have different challenges with the pandemic.

I couldn't care less about the virus. The never ending uncertainty and chuckle brothers style management of the virus is more likely to kill me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 11:15:52 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #14927 on December 12, 2021, 11:13:47 pm by Ldr »
I agree with you CDH

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14928 on December 12, 2021, 11:22:41 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

I'm not fussed either way. So can't say yes or no. Didn't really bother people in the years prior to the smoking ban did it? Didn't see many people protesting for it. I used to go round Donny every weekend in the 90's and 00's and you couldn't see for smoke in many places. I had a choice to not go if it bothered me that much.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14929 on December 12, 2021, 11:31:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »

I'm not fussed either way. So can't say yes or no. Didn't really bother people in the years prior to the smoking ban did it? Didn't see many people protesting for it. I used to go round Donny every weekend in the 90's and 00's and you couldn't see for smoke in many places. I had a choice to not go if it bothered me that much.

So did I, mate, but it was in ignorance of the facts of the dangers of it that made people be prepared to put up with it, don't you agree?

ColinDouglasHandshake

• Forum Member
« Reply #14930 on December 12, 2021, 11:34:47 pm by ColinDouglasHandshake »

So did I, mate, but it was in ignorance of the facts of the dangers of it that made people be prepared to put up with it, don't you agree?

Not really, but i take your point.

Anyone who wasn't aware that breathing in other people's secondary fag smoke wasn't particularly healthy was probably two sandwiches short of a picnic anyway.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14931 on December 12, 2021, 11:54:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So surely it is a similar scenario now? Even to the point of the Labour party, who, being in power when the smoking ban was introduced, used an obscure historic loophole that exempted the Palace of Westminster from health and safety laws, thus keeping some of the bars open for smokers?

BVB

• VSC Member
« Reply #14932 on December 13, 2021, 12:01:37 am by BVB »

Tail wags the dog?

It doesn't matter if i am in a minority of one though does it? This is the whole point. It is my life. My choice. My freedom.

This oppressive curtain of control hanging over us for 20 months is unbearable. As are the erratic, constant changes. Most of which make little logical sense. Then there is the relentless push to get jabs and kids to get jabs. It is overwhelming and all i know is to fight it. If you knew how much autistic people rely on stability, routine, structure and certainty in order to function, then you would understand that some people have different challenges with the pandemic.

I couldn't care less about the virus. The never ending uncertainty and chuckle brothers style management of the virus is more likely to kill me.

Well you’re not the only person in the world with autism and I do understand about the need for structure, predictability and certainty, and I can appreciate that your need for control is being severely tested through these uncertain times.

But my point was very much this: enjoy your “freedom” at the expense of the society that enables it for you.
Hopefully not too grey for you to process.

Regards
BVB

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #14933 on December 13, 2021, 05:08:39 am by scawsby steve »

Dear CDH
Well perhaps some of us are not prepared to do nothing about this virus (not the same as not accepting it btw) as we don’t want our loved ones - and very vulnerable ones at that - to succumb to a killer virus and therefore not “live with the virus” - just like at least the 140,000 and counting so far who have not “lived” with the virus.

“There is no beating it” (or Scawsby’s “experts haven’t a clue” (expletive removed) - maybe, but based on science’s proven ability to beat / reduce previous diseases I will trust their expertise over time to do so.

In the meantime, vaccinations have reduced the potential for serious illness and death from this virus - to suggest that any responsible govt (and even this shower) would sit back, do nothing and let millions of it’s citizens die - just because of an “endless obsession” with a warped notion of “our freedoms being restricted” and that “nothing can be done” is, in my very humble opinion, ludicrous and naive.

If we applied that logic to the rest of society then civilisation would have collapsed centuries ago.

Regards
BVB

That second paragraph hits the nail right on the head, BVB. I've been on this Earth a long time, and had many vaccines, and they were all given to STOP people from catching the disease, and were successful.

Now we have a vaccine that DOESN'T stop people from getting the disease, but reduces the severity of the illness. So I don't blame people for getting their jabs, and I've had mine; but let's not delude ourselves that this is going to get rid of the virus. That ship has sailed, because every country in the world should have cancelled all flights in and out of China as soon as the virus ripped through Wuhan.

They didn't, and this is what we're stuck with.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14934 on December 13, 2021, 06:52:15 am by SydneyRover »
Vaccines, there is a chart that shows the efficacy and how long the generally last for other diseases in the link below.

''Duration of immunity provided by vaccines

The duration of immunity varies with different diseases and different vaccines. Lifelong immunity is not always provided by either natural infection (getting the disease) or vaccination. The recommended timing of vaccine doses aims to achieve the best immune protection to cover the period in life when vulnerability to the disease is highest.

Many vaccines used today are relatively new and data concerning the length of time that they give protection is continually being updated

For many diseases immunity wanes following natural infection

The duration of immunity provided by vaccines varies depending on a range of factors, particularly the vaccine itself

Live vaccines generally induce longer lived immunity than sub unit vaccines

Sub unit vaccines frequently require primary courses and boosters

Polysaccharide vaccines do not generate long-lived memory cells

If the interval between doses is too short the duration of immunity can be affected. – Hence minimum intervals are required

In the very young and very old the duration of immunity can be limited''

https://www.immune.org.nz/vaccines/efficiency-effectiveness

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #14935 on December 13, 2021, 08:28:39 am by Nudga »

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14936 on December 13, 2021, 08:35:25 am by normal rules »
QPR game at Brammal Lane is off tonight due to covid and man Utd game with Brentford midweek is in doubt also .

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #14937 on December 13, 2021, 09:19:03 am by Axholme Lion »
South African doctor speaking on LBC yesterday said so far they had zero deaths from Omicron in a population with very low vaccination levels. She's at the front line so she should know. Why are we being subject to panic and mass hysteria? Something's not right.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #14938 on December 13, 2021, 09:25:00 am by normal rules »
The potential omicron wave could hurt us in mass isolations .
I think it is the speed of transmission that is of concern. Not the lethality.
We are seeing it in footballing already. Spurs, QPR, Norwich, Leicester, Man U.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14939 on December 13, 2021, 10:11:42 am by SydneyRover »
And hospital beds, cases are slowly starting to rise again, all those with other medical problems and we are still unsure as how long covid will affect the population.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012