Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:42:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860378 times)

River Don

• Forum Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #330 on March 12, 2020, 09:09:03 am by River Don »
If you are going to the match I'd suggest getting in early before queues and crowds develop. Stay in your seat at halftime. Wait for the crowds to subside at the final whistle.

If you are over 60 I'd seriously consider giving it a miss.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #331 on March 12, 2020, 09:29:04 am by DonnyOsmond »
Seen rumours on Twitter that they're about to announce that games will be behind closed doors and on ifollow.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #332 on March 12, 2020, 09:53:03 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Wouldn't surprise me. They are announcing today that we are in the Delay phase. We are mike's behind other countries in taking serious social distancing steps, so I'd expect that to happen today.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #333 on March 12, 2020, 10:11:47 am by The Red Baron »
If you are going to the match I'd suggest getting in early before queues and crowds develop. Stay in your seat at halftime. Wait for the crowds to subside at the final whistle.

If you are over 60 I'd seriously consider giving it a miss.

I honestly think I'd be more likely to pick up Coronavirus in a supermarket queue than I would be at a football match.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #334 on March 12, 2020, 10:27:42 am by IDM »
But if we restrict ourselves to only doing things which are essential like food shopping, and non essential things like football matches, then the risk of exposure is significantly reduced and the spread could slow..  not stop, but slow down.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #335 on March 12, 2020, 10:35:25 am by Donnywolf »
I got slated for referring to Asian Flu on here a week or so ago as it had "no relevance" but that boomed from a start similar to this - and in 6 months from June 57 to Christmas 57 three thousand five hundred and fifty people in the UK were dead
We had no social media of course and even Telly was in its infancy and the Asian Flu would have been mentioned I am guessing only during news bulletins. I dont know I was only 6+ - but what I do know it eventually got me and my parents and brother and we were all bed ridden but recovered. I seem to remember we were in bed for "ages" probably a week
So this outbreak essentially (I am guessing) pretty similar to that is a frightening prospect and knowing what to do is difficult because everything you touch in the outside world carries a risk - and the risk is that someone has spread it via touching train seats doors - Open Door buttons - money they paid for Tickets which you get on your change etc etc. I could drive myself batty just thinking about it
However (eventually) I too would think I am more at risk of contracting it in a Supermarket than going to the Game tomorrow

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #336 on March 12, 2020, 10:42:54 am by Donnywolf »
But if we restrict ourselves to only doing things which are essential like food shopping, and non essential things like football matches, then the risk of exposure is significantly reduced and the spread could slow..  not stop, but slow down.

I am tending to agree with that IDM

If everyone (in theory) stayed at home and you had 100% confidence in its bio security and a regime at home which kept it that way then I think that its spread would be seriously curtailed

However for me that is "easy" as I have been retired from work many years ago - I could order food in via delivery (swabbing the Tins and of course bottles) and phone and skype everybody BUT I realise this cant be done by just anyone. They HAVE to go out to work and just "to live".

That would be a way I am sure to protect myself - and probably the way to go for me personally - I will have to make a serios judgement because I am in a vulnerable age bracket and have underlying health problems

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #337 on March 12, 2020, 11:31:32 am by idler »
I have two friends on a 55 night round the world cruise. They payed a fortune for the cruise,excursions and over £1,000 in visa fees alone. There were 2,000 passengers at the start and now only 900 odd still aboard. They will be cruising around Australia for the next 14 days without landing. No refunds on their cancelled excursions just an on board spend allowance with only one shop and nothing that they want to buy. An unfortunate way to spend the holiday of a lifetime.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #338 on March 12, 2020, 11:52:33 am by Metalmicky »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #339 on March 12, 2020, 12:05:57 pm by silent majority »
Just to add a bit of levity here;

Neville Sothall tweeted that we should all wear gloves, because when he wore gloves he caught f**k all!!

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #340 on March 12, 2020, 12:17:16 pm by knockers »
Neville Southall tweeted the same as well  ;)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #341 on March 12, 2020, 01:16:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51853524

Inevitable really.

It is starting to look like irresponsibility that we aren't doing similar.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #342 on March 12, 2020, 01:25:51 pm by MachoMadness »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #343 on March 12, 2020, 02:42:21 pm by Metalmicky »
3 Leicester players in self isolation after showing symptoms.  Just a matter of time now...

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #344 on March 12, 2020, 02:51:39 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #345 on March 12, 2020, 02:57:44 pm by Metalmicky »
Not sure if posted but UK has had an increase of 130 cases today (now 590) and 2 further deaths - total now 10.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #346 on March 12, 2020, 03:11:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Doubling time is currently 3.5 days. So.if that keeps up, we'll be at 2,500 this time next week, 10,000 the week after. That's, respectively,where Spain and Italy have been this week.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #347 on March 12, 2020, 03:23:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Stock markets are in free fall. FTSE100 is now down 29% in three weeks. Apparently this is the fastest ever drop of that scale.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:42:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #348 on March 12, 2020, 03:25:01 pm by Metalmicky »
Doubling time is currently 3.5 days. So.if that keeps up, we'll be at 2,500 this time next week, 10,000 the week after. That's, respectively,where Spain and Italy have been this week.

That's about right - Italy had 655 cases on 27 Feb and 10,149 on 10 March.  Spain had 674 on 8 March and 3,003 on 12 March.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #349 on March 12, 2020, 04:47:04 pm by River Don »
Nicola Sturgeon has jumped the gun and revealed the details of the latest Cobra meeting before Boris Johnson.

Apparently we are now in the delay phase, though I think we've been in a delay phase for a longtime already.

She is saying they are going to ban gatherings of 500 or more. So I imagine that's it for the weekends football, it'll be behind closed doors.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #350 on March 12, 2020, 04:54:32 pm by IDM »
She was saying that before the cobra meeting, and it was a recommendation to avoid gathering smog over 500..

I’m following on the bbc ticker..

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #351 on March 12, 2020, 05:00:00 pm by River Don »
Ah sorry, apparently they are bringing the new rules in on Monday, so this will be the last weekend.

The only question now as far as football goes is, as players begin falling sick will they manage to finish the season?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #352 on March 12, 2020, 05:12:53 pm by IDM »
According to the BBC just now, the government is only considering the question of banning major events including sporting fixtures..

He also says “the most dangerous period is not how, but some weeks away, depending how far it spreads”

Surely if it’s going to be more dangerous on a few weeks there should be more preventive measures now.?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #353 on March 12, 2020, 05:16:18 pm by ravenrover »
I got slated for referring to Asian Flu on here a week or so ago as it had "no relevance" but that boomed from a start similar to this - and in 6 months from June 57 to Christmas 57 three thousand five hundred and fifty people in the UK were dead
We had no social media of course and even Telly was in its infancy and the Asian Flu would have been mentioned I am guessing only during news bulletins. I dont know I was only 6+ - but what I do know it eventually got me and my parents and brother and we were all bed ridden but recovered. I seem to remember we were in bed for "ages" probably a week
So this outbreak essentially (I am guessing) pretty similar to that is a frightening prospect and knowing what to do is difficult because everything you touch in the outside world carries a risk - and the risk is that someone has spread it via touching train seats doors - Open Door buttons - money they paid for Tickets which you get on your change etc etc. I could drive myself batty just thinking about it
However (eventually) I too would think I am more at risk of contracting it in a Supermarket than going to the Game tomorrow

Wolfie you are dead right about 1 thing in your post you definitely won't catch it at the game TOMORROW 😷😄

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #354 on March 12, 2020, 05:26:15 pm by River Don »
I can't understand why they are not following the Irish lead and closing schools. I suppose because they are aware of the strain it will put on working parents.

It is coming though. I really can't see them being able to sit exams this summer.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #355 on March 12, 2020, 05:29:43 pm by Sprotyrover »
London Evening Standard...Boris states between 5 and 10,000 infected in UK

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #356 on March 12, 2020, 05:35:30 pm by IDM »
The bbc column discusses why the uk isn’t doing as much as other countries.

Apparently it is “because we have a relatively low number of confirmed cases, so there is no need to take steps that will have profound social and economic consequences”

What about the unconfirmed cases and the spread they don’t know about.?

Am I missing something here.?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #357 on March 12, 2020, 05:38:53 pm by River Don »
To be fair they have been randomly testing people coming into doctors surgeries to try and pick up if they are missing the virus.

The UK is at least doing quite a large amount of testing. Not the best but still a lot better than most.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #358 on March 12, 2020, 05:48:17 pm by IDM »
I’m not one to over react but I think our government is being blasé about this. Are other countries being over cautious.?

It’s my opinion but I don’t think the uk is doing anywhere near enough to contain the spread.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #359 on March 12, 2020, 05:53:04 pm by albie »
The management of public opinion was the theme for the media.

Very surprised to hear them claim we are 4 weeks behind Italy....when I last looked it was about 11 days!

Why have they not closed the stock market down for a month to damp down the financial panic?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012