Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:54:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 860548 times)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1230 on March 28, 2020, 04:07:08 pm by Bentley Bullet »
What the f**k are you on about? I'm agreeing with you! Get a grip man.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #1231 on March 28, 2020, 04:19:47 pm by turnbull for england »
It's true enough, lass from our place all 8pm claps and stay homeFacebook status, was in pub on a birthday do night before they shut them just because why should they miss out when it's a choice?..

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1232 on March 28, 2020, 04:35:05 pm by Filo »
BST, Yes, it's those who appear to be demanding a nanny state. It's like they're not responsible for themselves, or others because that's the government's responsibility, and until the government makes it law to act sensibly, their behaviour is the government's fault.

I assume you are aiming at my comments, I want it to become law because there are idiots out there that are not following advise, if that means that us that are following advise are further restricted, so be it! The idiots have to be forced into not acting like idiots

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #1233 on March 28, 2020, 04:38:28 pm by Bentley Bullet »
No, I wasn't aiming at your comments. I haven't read the whole thread. I do agree with your last post though.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1234 on March 28, 2020, 04:48:50 pm by Filo »
No, I wasn't aiming at your comments. I haven't read the whole thread. I do agree with your last post though.

Ok apologies given

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1235 on March 28, 2020, 05:11:22 pm by adamtherover »
We have a.studio in chennai and word is coming over that folk are being arrested if they are caught in the street without a bloody good reason..  whether it's True, who knows, but it will certainly make folk think twice...

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #1236 on March 28, 2020, 05:27:54 pm by Iberian Red »
Right. I'm out.
As someone in the 2and week of total lockdown, I would implore you  to keep posting those well informed posts of yours. They are much better than inane rambling bollox of some on here.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #1237 on March 28, 2020, 05:36:24 pm by Nudga »
If anyone is bored, count the number of times 3,33 and 369 crop up in mainstream media updates.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #1238 on March 28, 2020, 05:36:54 pm by silent majority »
We walk our dogs every day in the fields close by, there's regular paths and we very rarely see anybody else. Those we do see are generally the same people over and over.

However since the lockdown started we've seen groups of people and gangs of school kids, mostly on push bikes. Last Thursday we came across, at various places and times, seven horses all being exercised and normally seeing one being ridden is a rare event. Obviously people are using the opportunity to enjoy more of their leisure pursuits rather than less.

Today we came across a couple who were out with 5 dogs, she had two and he had 3, but both these people had rucksacks with them. This is not normal behaviour.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #1239 on March 28, 2020, 05:37:27 pm by BigH »
Insight into how our Government should have acted in January?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/world/asia/coronavirus-south-korea-flatten-curve.html

Here in the UK, people might still be falling for Johnson's charms (for now). However, once the penny drops, I'm convinced that Johnson/Cummings et al will be seen to have been responsible for one of the worst examples of governmental negligence in our lifetime.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:43:11 pm by BigH »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1240 on March 28, 2020, 05:59:50 pm by Copps is Magic »
More incredible news from Italy. 5974 new cases (6.9% daily increase, the lowest so far), but only a 3651 increase in active cases (due to people recovering). The healthcare services are reporting that the number of hospitalisations and those in critical care has levelled off. I don't know why this is not reported on. These huge social measures we're all living under have had a clear impact, and people need positive news. We literally have a country that has 'flattened the curve' but still I read sensationalist headline.

Some useful figures from Italy.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Infografica_28marzo%20ENG.pdf

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1241 on March 28, 2020, 06:06:51 pm by Filo »
More incredible news from Italy. 5974 new cases (6.9% daily increase, the lowest so far), but only a 3651 increase in active cases (due to people recovering). The healthcare services are reporting that the number of hospitalisations and those in critical care has levelled off. I don't know why this is not reported on. These huge social measures we're all living under have had a clear impact, and people need positive news. We literally have a country that has 'flattened the curve' but still I read sensationalist headline.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Infografica_28marzo%20ENG.pdf

Perhaps news like that in this Country will fuel complacency at a time when we need to be strong

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1242 on March 28, 2020, 06:12:25 pm by adamtherover »
News more local to home,  cases have jumped from 21 to 38 in 24 hrs :-(

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #1243 on March 28, 2020, 06:21:56 pm by Copps is Magic »

Perhaps news like that in this Country will fuel complacency at a time when we need to be strong

Being strong and living in a fear are two different things. Knowing that the social engineering most of us are subscribing to actually works (among one of the oldest populations on the planet, no less) fills me with a great deal of confidence/strength to persevere and continue.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #1244 on March 28, 2020, 09:40:22 pm by scawsby steve »

Being strong and living in a fear are two different things. Knowing that the social engineering most of us are subscribing to actually works (among one of the oldest populations on the planet, no less) fills me with a great deal of confidence/strength to persevere and continue.

Well said mate. You've tried to remain positive with all your posts on this thread, without being naive or complacent.

Keep it up; some of us appreciate it.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #1245 on March 28, 2020, 09:48:28 pm by wilts rover »
Is this positive, I dunno, but I thought it was interesting.

How social distancing works and what the lessons learnt in the Spanish flu pandemic can tell us:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

roversontheup

• VSC Member
« Reply #1246 on March 28, 2020, 11:31:17 pm by roversontheup »
260 deaths in last 24 hours

f**k. That's not good. We are clearly off the China trend now.
Wheres  our strong leadership, the lockdown needs enforcing by police and army now, if not out of hand already, its getting there at an alarming rate. In a wierd sort of way I’m glad my parents are no longer here to go through this
Filo I fully understand your feeling re parents. For the first time in 20 months since my Mum died I feel grateful she isn’t here. I would be frantic with worry.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1247 on March 28, 2020, 11:35:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Here's the latest graph for what it's worth. The hope that we were following the China path has evaporated. We had a chance if we'd locked down a week or ten days before we did, but that has gone now. We are in for an Italy scenario I think. And that is inexcusable, given that we had two weeks' notice of where they were heading.

China re just releasing the lockdown on Wuhan. They are currently at Day 53 on that graph. Given that they appear to have got a grip on the spread much earlier than we did, I'd be amazed if we were able to release the first lockdown much before early June, which would be around Day 80 for us. And then it takes very careful management to release the lockdwon where it is suitable, then re-apply it if cases start rising seriously again.

I am truly fearing for America. The White House appears to be driving policy towards dividing the country into High, Medium and Low risk states, and not imposing any lockdown on the Low risk states. That seems like madness from everything we know to date. Low numbers today become very high and uncontrolled numbers in a week or two if you don't clamp down when and where you can. If they are truly going to let low risk states carry on working as usual, they are in for a very, very long and hard summer.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #1248 on March 29, 2020, 12:32:54 am by albie »
BST,

Does your graph map all deaths from Covid-19, or all deaths from those known to be positive in a hospital setting?

There is a suggestion that the UK figures show only the latter, I don't know if that is correct.

We need to know how non-hospital mortality is dealt with, and if the same criteria apply in other countries.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1249 on March 29, 2020, 12:41:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Albie.

I'm just mapping the data from Worldometer. For the UK, they use the official Dept of Health daily figures.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1250 on March 29, 2020, 09:34:05 am by SydneyRover »
‘’Medical ventilators being constructed at the OES medical supply company in Witney’’

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52074862

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #1251 on March 29, 2020, 12:25:15 pm by SydneyRover »
I'm just watching the bbc doc Contagion where a smart phone app is used to simulate the spread of the virus. Scary hope nothing like this realy happens but if it does at least we'd all be prepared.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3pYGfsq0NKB1bNkrggYJl4h/about-bbc-pandemic

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1252 on March 29, 2020, 12:41:19 pm by foxbat »
There was always the possibility of a pandemic. There were plenty of warnings over many years. But, were we prepared when #Covid19 arrived? No, of course not! Au contraire! All of the warnings were ignored. Even when we knew it was coming, the UK Government did nothing!

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #1253 on March 29, 2020, 12:58:53 pm by Prez »
There was always the possibility of a pandemic. There were plenty of warnings over many years. But, were we prepared when #Covid19 arrived? No, of course not! Au contraire! All of the warnings were ignored. Even when we knew it was coming, the UK Government did nothing!

Did nothing? NO

Slow to react, YES

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #1254 on March 29, 2020, 01:06:07 pm by rich1471 »
when people are stuck indoors going stir crazy you don't need this sort of advice ,

World champion Billy Joe Saunders has apologised after posting a video on social media in which he advised men how to hit their female partners during the coronavirus lockdown.

The WBO super-middleweight champion, 30, was shown demonstrating techniques on a punch bag.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1255 on March 29, 2020, 01:07:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I was at a conference years ago where the keynote speaker was an analyst from the US Dept of Homeland Security.

He said he was pleading with Govt not to cut things to the bone, because of what he called "Cascading Failure". Something unforeseen happens and it causes ripples of failure through connected systems.

He gave a frightening example. He talked about the disaster that nearly happened on 9/11.

The planes crashing into the towers set off fires that caused beams to sag and eventually fail one bolt. That caused a floor to collapse onto the next one, which collapsed into the next and so on, bringing down an entire tower.

That was bad enough. It killed 3000 people. But what nearly happened would have been catastrophic. He said the walls in the basements if the towers were horizontally buttressed by the 5 basement floor slabs. The floor slabs were partially destroyed. So the basement walls weren't fully supported. But the walls were holding out the bank of the Hudson River. If they had failed, the river would have poured into the basement. Where there was a metro system. And the water would have then poured into the NYC metro tubes, almost all of it below river level.

He estimated 250,000 people would have been killed within an hour and NYC would have had no mass transport system for 2 years while they fixed it.

That seems to me to be similar to the problem we might have had here.

We have cut the NHS to the bone. It is operating at 95% capacity. Similarly, food delivery is all Just In Time. So an epidemic that mainly just makes people feel a bit tough, overwhelms the NHS, meaning people with treatable cancer and strokes die. Meanwhile, delivery drivers are stuck in bed so the food distribution system breaks down.

To prevent that, we have had to shutdown the country. If we had more robust systems, where we hadn't cut the fat out of every process we might have had more chance of riding this out.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1256 on March 29, 2020, 01:10:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Did nothing? NO

Slow to react, YES

Prez.

They did next to nothing throughout February. That is looking more and more like a gross dereliction of duty.

That has put thousands of NHS workers in danger because the Govt did nothing to provide the extra PPE they need. I was contacted yesterday to ask if my company has 3D printer plastic filament, because it can be used to make emergency face mask parts. Why the f**k has this been allowed to become an emergency in the last week of March? What the f**k were they doing 9 weeks ago when they knew about the potential for this situation to arise?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #1257 on March 29, 2020, 01:46:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Copps.

I agree 100%. The media has largely been shocking in how it has reported this. They are giving no context,  just flashing out sensationalist headlines.

The BBC have a headline today that reads:

Death toll rises in Netherlands.

What on earth is the point of that? The death toll is hardly likely to go down is it?

foxbat

• VSC Member
« Reply #1258 on March 29, 2020, 01:49:32 pm by foxbat »
A Spanish air transporter has set off today on a mammoth 33 hour journey to Shanghai, China to collect medical supplies for our struggling health workers.

Why isn't our government doing this?

Would not cooperate with the EU and had to give the money to their mates e.g. Dyson who still does not have the capability to produce!

We could have them now, to save lives.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #1259 on March 29, 2020, 01:53:12 pm by Filo »
So which incompetent will they wheel out today to brief us?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012